Random Rumors and Trade Board General Thoughts Thread

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Re: Trade Board General Thoughts Thread 

Post#161 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:14 pm

dalton749 wrote:Anyone else feel like fans of tanking teams are insufferable here?

No. And we aren't real big on negative generalizations here.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#162 » by BoogieTime » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:27 pm

the Hield to Philly stuff is painful. It just devolves into what it probably is in real life. Philly not wanting to give value for swapping big contracts and Kings looking for salary and value

Not seeing the deal between these two teams
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#163 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:47 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Death Lineup's rumor about Dipo and the Bucks seems to have even more traction. I poo-pooed it but I shouldn't have it.

Seems a risky bet for Milwaukee, but I would assume Dipo is the potentially cheapest "star" out there and they aren't flush with assets.

I'm not sure if they could do anything to make Indy interested though. We'd have less than no use for Bledsoe and doesn't seem like they could get much value from a 3rd team for him. Donte and our first back are basically all that's left and that's a super underwhelming package.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

Post#164 » by NYG » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:17 am

pacers33granger wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Death Lineup's rumor about Dipo and the Bucks seems to have even more traction. I poo-pooed it but I shouldn't have it.

Seems a risky bet for Milwaukee, but I would assume Dipo is the potentially cheapest "star" out there and they aren't flush with assets.

I'm not sure if they could do anything to make Indy interested though. We'd have less than no use for Bledsoe and doesn't seem like they could get much value from a 3rd team for him. Donte and our first back are basically all that's left and that's a super underwhelming package.

Would a KCP/Bledsoe back-court be fine?

Danny Green, DiVincenzo and 24 for Oladipo?

(Bledsoe to LA Lakers)
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#165 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:17 am

NYG wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

(Bledsoe to LA Lakers)

Don't really see the incentive for Indy though.
NYG
RealGM

Post#166 » by NYG » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:21 am

Which teams are in need of savings most likely this off-season, either because of the following reasons...

1. They've painted themselves into a bad corner for a team that either currently or soon-to-be via extensions is going to cost a ton without a realistic shot at a championship.

2. Are into or after extensions/re-signings/draft picks will be into the luxury tax.

3. Are either historically frugal owners that could use the landscape as an excuse or actually took a really bad hit in the current market.

A team has to meet at least one of those criteria to make deals that you can suck value from salary cap savings.

A few I see...

Boston - Luxury Tax/Not Enough Roster Spots for all of their picks any way

Houston - Took a very known beating financially

Orlando - If they want to keep Fultz and Isaac, it's time to start analyzing their long-term cap projections versus how competitive this roster can be

Philadelphia - This is the prime example of reason #1 above

Sacramento - After re-signing Bogdanovic, they start becoming an expensive team

Going off of this...

Also Fertitta really denied a rebuild in Houston so I can't see him going full rebuild after that.

Boston trades Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirier and 26 for cap space gets them pretty well under the tax.

What is Orlando looking at realistically for Vucevic? Philly with Horford? Kings with Barnes/Hield?
NYG
RealGM

Post#167 » by NYG » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:24 am

pacers33granger wrote:
NYG wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

(Bledsoe to LA Lakers)

Me neither, but for the Oladipo to Bucks rumors to be true, doesn't it inherently have to be an underwhelming deal? Whether it's true is another thing, but if it is then I imagine it either being a bigger deal involving Middleton somehow or a deal that has Pacers fans saying that they don't see the incentive for Indy based on Milwaukee's assets they can offer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#168 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:12 am

NYG wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
NYG wrote:

(Bledsoe to LA Lakers)

Me neither, but for the Oladipo to Bucks rumors to be true, doesn't it inherently have to be an underwhelming deal? Whether it's true is another thing, but if it is then I imagine it either being a bigger deal involving Middleton somehow or a deal that has Pacers fans saying that they don't see the incentive for Indy based on Milwaukee's assets they can offer.

3 team deals or something.

Or, it's just the rumor of keep an eye on Milwaukee in regards to Oladipo, and not a real report. :dontknow:
Texas Chuck

Post#169 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:38 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Or, it's just the rumor of keep an eye on Milwaukee in regards to Oladipo, and not a real report. :dontknow:

From the way Lowe said it on his pod it sure seemed like something he was hearing somewhere. Now whether that is just other teams speculating or not idk, but it feel like one of the more substantive nuggets on what was largely a wild pod.

I agree the path there isn't a simple one and almost certainly depends on a 3rd willing to take on Bledsoe and not sucking literally any value out of the deal to do so which seems really unlikely to me. Then it likely includes the Bucks being willing to include a lightly/unprotected distant future first because even though I think Dipo's value is relatively light I don't think Indy moves him if all they can get is DDV/24. If that's really the best offer you'd have to just keep him unless he causes problems and I don't see Dipo as a guy who would cause problems. He might leave in a year, but I think he'd be totally professional in the meantime plus he wants a big contract so he has incentive to play well, work hard, and be a team guy.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#170 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:38 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

From the way Lowe said it on his pod it sure seemed like something he was hearing somewhere. Now whether that is just other teams speculating or not idk, but it feel like one of the more substantive nuggets on what was largely a wild pod.

I agree the path there isn't a simple one and almost certainly depends on a 3rd willing to take on Bledsoe and not sucking literally any value out of the deal to do so which seems really unlikely to me. Then it likely includes the Bucks being willing to include a lightly/unprotected distant future first because even though I think Dipo's value is relatively light I don't think Indy moves him if all they can get is DDV/24. If that's really the best offer you'd have to just keep him unless he causes problems and I don't see Dipo as a guy who would cause problems. He might leave in a year, but I think he'd be totally professional in the meantime plus he wants a big contract so he has incentive to play well, work hard, and be a team guy.
Texas Chuck

Post#171 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:16 pm

I look at several teams and keep thinking man what they really need is a player like Maxi Kleber: Golden State, Minnesota, Indiana, Brooklyn, Houston, Clippers, Pelicans, Bucks, Suns are all teams I've played around with constructing deals and I keep thinking Maxi Kleber fits perfectly into this. Then I think of my little Mavs and don't want to consider dealing him with my KP injury fears.

So am I just a raging Maxi homer?
If not and I'm on to something should Dallas cash out on his value?
Nobody cares but you Chuck?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,565

Post#172 » by shrink » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:02 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I look at several teams and keep thinking man what they really need is a player like Maxi Kleber: Golden State, Minnesota, Indiana, Brooklyn, Houston, Clippers, Pelicans, Bucks, Suns are all teams I've played around with constructing deals and I keep thinking Maxi Kleber fits perfectly into this. Then I think of my little Mavs and don't want to consider dealing him with my KP injury fears.

For me, it was Tyus Jones, two years ago.

If you want to form a support group, count me in.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
NYG
RealGM

Post#173 » by NYG » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 pm

Cody Zeller, Jordan Poole, Kevon Looney, 2nd Overall and 2021 T’Wolves 1st to Utah

Rudy Gobert to GSW

(Zeller going into the TPE first
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Post#174 » by Richard4444 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 pm

gswhoops wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:All Westbrook trades should be DOA imo. Nobody wants to offer anything, they just want a top 10-15 player in the league for cap space. Houston didn't make that trade a year ago just to throw him away, along with any chance at getting Harden a title, a year later.

I'll see your take and raise you; 80% of trades here where the rationale for the other team is "saving money" are just excuses to add talent to your team for below market rate.

You are right. But what the problem with that?

Do you think the teams near/over luxury tax teams don't need to unload salaries? Especially the small market and the way over luxury line ones.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#175 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:13 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I look at several teams and keep thinking man what they really need is a player like Maxi Kleber: Golden State, Minnesota, Indiana, Brooklyn, Houston, Clippers, Pelicans, Bucks, Suns are all teams I've played around with constructing deals and I keep thinking Maxi Kleber fits perfectly into this. Then I think of my little Mavs and don't want to consider dealing him with my KP injury fears.

Dallas should probably keep him. Partially as KP insurance, partially because he's good, and partially because he's underpaid.

Teams should keep those underpaid role players rather than trying to swing them for an upgrade unless they're necessary for a true star. Pretty much everyone would rather have a Covington than a Tobias Harris despite one being "better."

Same with DFS. Though I also have an aversion to the deals where he goes to Indy that have posted solely because of the disappointment of Marquis Daniels.
Texas Chuck

Post#176 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:22 am

pacers33granger wrote:because of the disappointment of Marquis Daniels.

Dallas fans don't remember that deal fondly either though by the time we dealt him he was already a disappointment after the magical way his career exploded onto the scene late his rookie year. And I didn't mind Austin too bad. But Daniels was such a fun player with his ability to get into the lane at will at like 1/4 speed and he was such a good passer.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#177 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:27 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

Dallas fans don't remember that deal fondly either though by the time we dealt him he was already a disappointment after the magical way his career exploded onto the scene late his rookie year. And I didn't mind Austin too bad. But Daniels was such a fun player with his ability to get into the lane at will at like 1/4 speed and he was such a good passer.

Yeah the few games he actually played in for us he was super unique and fun to watch. You just knew he was going to miss 10 for that 1 game though. It also ended up basically just extending Croshere's bad deal a few more years IIRC, though he was a good dude and tried.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#178 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:17 pm

Do you picture Kleiber in Indy as a Turner replacement, or do you think he adds a lot and is a need while Turner/Sabonis are already there? And with Goga too?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#179 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:18 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Yeah the few games he actually played in for us he was super unique and fun to watch. You just knew he was going to miss 10 for that 1 game though. It also ended up basically just extending Croshere's bad deal a few more years IIRC, though he was a good dude and tried.

I remember liking Marquis, but can’t remember why.

But I’ve mostly blocked out that era of Pacers basketball for my own well being. :dontknow:
Texas Chuck

Post#180 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Do you picture Kleiber in Indy as a Turner replacement, or do you think he adds a lot and is a need while Turner/Sabonis are already there? And with Goga too?

Both I guess. He's not really a Turner replacement in that Turner is simply a better player. But yeah when thinking about Turner deals and how do I deal with the new void for the Pacers I think of Kleber as part of a solution.

But I also think if Maxi is your 3rd big that's a really valuable piece because he can play very well with both of the existing ones because of his ability to guard in space and provide rim protection. I'm not sold Goga is ready to be a 20+ mpg guy but even if he is, he's not nearly the complement to the existing bigs so I would have that as a significant upgrade plus there would still be some minutes for Goga if he earned them.

Return to Trades and Transactions