Random Rumors and Trade Board General Thoughts Thread

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: Trade Board General Thoughts Thread 

Post#21 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:28 pm

I think we see zero FRPs sold for cash and that the rumor was started by a front office that wanted to potentially buy a FRP for cash.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,050

Post#22 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:31 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:I think we see zero FRPs sold for cash and that the rumor was started by a front office that wanted to potentially buy a FRP for cash.

When's the last time a first went for cash? Genuinely curious.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#23 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:31 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:I think we see zero FRPs sold for cash and that the rumor was started by a front office that wanted to potentially buy a FRP for cash.

Believe it was the Rudy Gobert pick in 2013
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,524

Post#24 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:32 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Believe it was the Rudy Gobert pick in 2013

They got a mid 2nd also iirc.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,524

Post#25 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:36 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I really think a Russell/Johnson for Westbrook deal is interesting.

I think a russell - Horford - Westbrook 3 way is even more interesting :D

I offered Horford/Thybulle (+picks?) for Dlo; and it go zero replies. Granted, it was in a Simmons trade thread, so it probably did deserve 0 replies :lol:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=85461936#p85461936
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,677

Post#26 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:36 pm

cucad8 wrote:Random thought unrelated to specific players, but more on fans and rebuilding, I really dislike the discussions around a team's window and timelines, and how there is often this expectation that a team should be built entirely of guys the same age. How their timeline is usually at least one year away.

I think windows and timelines are important to discuss. But windows are almost always much shorter than fanbases believe. If you can be a legit championship-level team right now, you should always maximize that.

Agree 200% that its stupid to say this 28 year old really good player who fits exactly what my team needs isn't someone my team wants because my core's average age is 22.5.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#27 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:39 pm

gswhoops wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:All Westbrook trades should be DOA imo. Nobody wants to offer anything, they just want a top 10-15 player in the league for cap space. Houston didn't make that trade a year ago just to throw him away, along with any chance at getting Harden a title, a year later.

I'll see your take and raise you; 80% of trades here where the rationale for the other team is "saving money" are just excuses to add talent to your team for below market rate.

I strongly disagree. I think too many posters don't understand that many trades IRL are money motivated and because it doesn't add talent, they don't understand the value their team receives.

We are going to see win now teams this off-season use cash and assets to get off unwanted money. They aren't doing this because they are stupid or want to help other teams.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#28 » by Buzzard » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:40 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I think this draft is going to end up being a lot better than this board thinks it is, both at the top and later in the first round. We lost the hype of the NCAA tourney, but there are still a lot of strong players coming out. And shrewd GMs will take advantage of lots of outside work watching film and scouting to find the guys whose stock hasn't risen because of the lack of national exposure.

I think there are 8 - 10 future career starters in this draft. Most of them will be taken in the top 15. With those starters comes upside to be 2nd, 3rd team All Stars for some. Career starters are different than the players who are borderline starters/role players. With that, I am agreeing with you for the most part. I just think its a little top heavy or at least will be once the dust has settled.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,730

Post#29 » by gswhoops » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:43 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:All Westbrook trades should be DOA imo. Nobody wants to offer anything, they just want a top 10-15 player in the league for cap space. Houston didn't make that trade a year ago just to throw him away, along with any chance at getting Harden a title, a year later.

I'll see your take and raise you; 80% of trades here where the rationale for the other team is "saving money" are just excuses to add talent to your team for below market rate.

I strongly disagree. I think too many posters don't understand that many trades IRL are money motivated and because it doesn't add talent, they don't understand the value their team receives.

We are going to see win now teams this off-season use cash and assets to get off unwanted money. They aren't doing this because they are stupid or want to help other teams.

Agree 100%...but you don't see a lot of deals proposed here where someone has their team give up talent to save money. It's always some other team that needs to shed salary.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#30 » by cucad8 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:48 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
cucad8 wrote:Random thought unrelated to specific players, but more on fans and rebuilding, I really dislike the discussions around a team's window and timelines, and how there is often this expectation that a team should be built entirely of guys the same age. How their timeline is usually at least one year away.

I think windows and timelines are important to discuss. But windows are almost always much shorter than fanbases believe. If you can be a legit championship-level team right now, you should always maximize that.

Agree 200% that its stupid to say this 28 year old really good player who fits exactly what my team needs isn't someone my team wants because my core's average age is 22.5.

Oh, I agree they're important to consider, but yeah, like you said, those windows often close fast, and a lot of fans think my core of 4 23 and under guys will definitely all be playing together at their athletic peaks of 27, and THEN we strike. I saw it first hand with my Blazers many years ago, when fans refused every trade presented because Roy, Oden, Aldridge, Outlaw, Webster, Frye, Sergio, Rudy, Bayless, etc. were all gonna age together and dominate!
Texas Chuck

Post#31 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:50 pm

gswhoops wrote:Agree 100%...but you don't see a lot of deals proposed here where someone has their team give up talent to save money. It's always some other team that needs to shed salary.

Other than almost every Dallas thread I post. :wink:

I mean I hear you and that does happen, but its not as bad as it used to be. Plus depending on the teams involved it could be quite legit. I'm constantly trying to dump unwanted money for Dallas because I want to be optimistic about 21 FA, but if you look at Dallas historically one of the ways they kept winning 50+ every year with Dirk was by adding talent by taking unwanted money.

First it was taking on NVE and Abdul-Wahad and Avery Johnson to get Raef. Turns out NVE was the real prize, but Denver wanted off his money. Then Dallas flipped NVE for Jamison when GSW wanted off his money. Then Walker for Terry when Atlanta wanted off his money. And Henderson for Van Horn when the Bucks wanted off his money. And right before the title, getting Butler, Haywood, and DeShawn when the Wizards wanted off their money. And Tyson Chandler for Damp's vanishing contract when Charlotte didn't want to pay his last year.

If you have a rich owner willing to pay a bunch of tax, you can still add talent by adding salary. It's less common because teams have gotten smarter about the contracts they hand out and the much more punitive tax rules make it harder to pay tax every year like Dallas. But you can definitely add talent for money.
Texas Chuck

Post#32 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:52 pm

cucad8 wrote:Oh, I agree they're important to consider, but yeah, like you said, those windows often close fast, and a lot of fans think my core of 4 23 and under guys will definitely all be playing together at their athletic peaks of 27, and THEN we strike. I saw it first hand with my Blazers many years ago, when fans refused every trade presented because Roy, Oden, Aldridge, Outlaw, Webster, Frye, Sergio, Rudy, Bayless, etc. were all gonna age together and dominate!

Portland a great example. An even better one is OKC where Presti acted like fans here and kept failing to add veteran talent to KD/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka and remember he had all kinds of extra draft picks too. They made one Finals trip having 3 future MVP's all 22 or younger.....
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#33 » by Buzzard » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:52 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

I agree with this 100% but think the contract has to be weighed. Jrue to the Hawks on a three year deal would be great for their "window"; in the same manner Capela is. But Jrue or Capela on a one year deal ( window ) has to be looked at as much less value.

The above is my opinion. Hawks GM/President stated he wants players a little older than the current core. He traded for Capela who is 26, so I think he may view Jrue as to old. Bertans who is 27 and Clarkson who is 28 may be in range for his thinking. All just guesses on my part but he did say that about the age of players he was looking for.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#34 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:53 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I really want to see a deal where Richardson goes to Indy, Dougie Buckets and Seth Curry go to Philly, but can't at all figure out how to make that make sense for Dallas. Unless its Dipo. Can't make it work.

There is a wiretap article about the Knicks wanting to deal for Oladipo. I don't know exactly what they might offer, but if Victor goes out to NYC or some other team I could see the pacers being interested in Richardson.

I've been running it around in my head and the ESPN Trade machine. One thing that might be doable is two trades:

The deal is dependent on Victor being traded to the Knicks and Indiana getting the #8 pick, it would be Lamb and Leaf plus #8 to the Mavs for Curry, Kleber and #18. Then Curry and the #18 to the 76'ers for Richardson and the #21 plus #34.

I don't know if that is a good deal for Indiana do drop 10 spots after getting the #8 seems like Dallas might need to add value, maybe the 31 pick?

IDK depends on if there is a deal moving Victor to NYC and what Indiana gets in that deal.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,050

Post#35 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:54 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
cucad8 wrote:Oh, I agree they're important to consider, but yeah, like you said, those windows often close fast, and a lot of fans think my core of 4 23 and under guys will definitely all be playing together at their athletic peaks of 27, and THEN we strike. I saw it first hand with my Blazers many years ago, when fans refused every trade presented because Roy, Oden, Aldridge, Outlaw, Webster, Frye, Sergio, Rudy, Bayless, etc. were all gonna age together and dominate!

Portland a great example. An even better one is OKC where Presti acted like fans here and kept failing to add veteran talent to KD/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka and remember he had all kinds of extra draft picks too. They made one Finals trip having 3 future MVP's all 22 or younger.....

Sigh... what're you trying to do to me today, Chuck.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#36 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:03 pm

Would love for the Nuggets to trade for a star or CP3. Maybe Oladipo.
Texas Chuck

Post#37 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:04 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Would love for the Nuggets to trade for a star or CP3. Maybe Oladipo.

Paul is still a star, no?
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#38 » by Buzzard » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:05 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Agree 100%...but you don't see a lot of deals proposed here where someone has their team give up talent to save money. It's always some other team that needs to shed salary.

Dallas idea of giving away talent is Wright. That is not exactly booting some starter level talent to save money :wink:

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Texas Chuck

Post#39 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:06 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Dallas idea of giving away talent is Wright. That is not exactly booting some starter level talent to save money :wink:

Yeah you know what, that's a really good point. Ignore me on this lol. I'm paying to dump salary, but that's definitely a different thing.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#40 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:08 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Would love for the Nuggets to trade for a star or CP3. Maybe Oladipo.

Paul is still a star, no?

He is in my book. Think Nuggets have a good chance to go from great to elite with the right trade.

Return to Trades and Transactions