Chicago / Indiana / New Orleans

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Re: Chicago / Indiana / New Orleans 

Post#21 » by gobullschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Paul George didn’t. Jermaine O’Neal didn’t. When guys demand out, they usually cut off all communication and go through agents only.

As for The Athletic report by Jared Weiss, it’s odd. He didn’t report that it happened. He reported that rumors say that. But he hasn’t addressed it once on Twitter or a podcast or his writings since, even though he’s the only guy to really actually report it. Just odd.

I don’t think Oladipo has the demanding power of a Paul George or Jermaine O’Neal, especially coming off an injury. It’s definitely odd.

If he wants out, he has the same power every player does. They simply don’t communicate and force their way out. Lower end players would get waived or dumped quickly. Higher end guys have to work harder at it, but same thing.

If he wants out, he’s doing a lot of extra work to invest more into Indy.

Players often try to ‘save face’ by doing it behind closed doors. In this case, he doesn’t need to “demand to be traded” because he can sign with whoever he wants when his deal expires next year.

I interpreted the rumor that he told Indiana he won’t re-sign, not that he’s demanding a trade. Big difference.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:15 pm

gobullschi wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
I don’t think Oladipo has the demanding power of a Paul George or Jermaine O’Neal, especially coming off an injury. It’s definitely odd.

If he wants out, he has the same power every player does. They simply don’t communicate and force their way out. Lower end players would get waived or dumped quickly. Higher end guys have to work harder at it, but same thing.

Players often try to ‘save face’ by doing it behind closed doors. In this case, he doesn’t need to “demand to be traded” because he can sign with whoever he wants when his deal expires next year.

I interpreted the rumor that he told Indiana he won’t re-sign, not that he’s demanding a trade. Big difference.

Not really. That’s what Paul George did. Any agent would leak it ASAP and get their player to a preferred destination so they could re sign foe those 8% raises instead of walking for 5% raises.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#23 » by gobullschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:51 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Not really. That’s what Paul George did. Any agent would leak it ASAP and get their player to a preferred destination so they could re sign foe those 8% raises instead of walking for 5% raises.

Yes. I already explained that Oladipo doesn’t have the leverage of Paul George. At the time Paul George was viewed as a top 10 player in the NBA.

We can agree to disagree on it, but your focus is more on the situation than the trade. The Indiana board is a better place to continue arguing your opinion.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 pm

gobullschi wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

Yes. I already explained that Oladipo doesn’t have the leverage of Paul George. At the time Paul George was viewed as a top 10 player in the NBA.

We can agree to disagree on it, but your focus is more on the situation than the trade. The Indiana board is a better place to continue arguing your opinion.

Why is it different? You don’t have to be a top 10 guy to demand out. Anybody can demand out. Why does the quality of player change whether a guy can demand out?

And if you’re uncomfortable learning about another team, maybe you should stick to the Bulls forum yourself. :dontknow:
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#25 » by gobullschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:00 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Why is it different? You don’t have to be a top 10 guy to demand out. Anybody can demand out. Why does the quality of player change whether a guy can demand out?

And if you’re uncomfortable learning about another team, maybe you should stick to the Bulls forum yourself. :dontknow:

Well it is a trade thread and you haven’t commented on the actual trade. Instead, your focused on a detail that we won’t know for a while or may never know.

Anybody can demand out. - Agreed. Lots of guys try to do it behind closed doors. In this case, Oladipo might not want to piss off his Indiana fan base (IU) by demanding a trade. Maybe he decides to demand a trade? IDK. The point is, IF he does tell Pacers management that he wants a trade OR isn’t going to re-sign, it’s a reason to justify the trade that was proposed.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 pm

gobullschi wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

Well it is a trade thread and you haven’t commented on the actual trade. Instead, your focused on a detail that we won’t know for a while or may never know.

Anybody can demand out. - Agreed. Lots of guys try to do it behind closed doors. In this case, Oladipo might not want to piss off his Indiana fan base (IU) by demanding a trade. Maybe he decides to demand a trade? IDK. The point is, IF he does tell Pacers management that he wants a trade OR isn’t going to re-sign, it’s a reason to justify the trade that was proposed.

I commented on one of the key justifications of the trade. Is that not commenting on the trade? If it’s based on a falsehood, doesn’t that change the valuation? But also, if he leaves next season, itll still burn the bridge with the Iu fans. He knows that. His agent knows that.

But I’ve also commented on the trade value itself in this thread a couple times. :dontknow:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:44 pm

gobullschi wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

I don't know what your point is! You're taking a rumor from a known rumor mill that has little credibility and not a direct quote of video of him saying I want out. You're defending a statement that is a hypothetical.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#28 » by gobullschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:03 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I don't know what your point is! You're taking a rumor from a known rumor mill that has little credibility and not a direct quote of video of him saying I want out. You're defending a statement that is a hypothetical.

I’m taking a rumor and making a trade proposal based on the rumor. I have no idea if the rumor is true, just trying to make a deal that’s fair for all three teams based on the rumor being true.

If the rumor is BS then the trade won’t happen. Even if the rumor is true, the trade probably won’t happen :lol:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#29 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:14 am

gobullschi wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

I’m taking a rumor and making a trade proposal based on the rumor. I have no idea if the rumor is true, just trying to make a deal that’s fair for all three teams based on the rumor being true.

If the rumor is BS then the trade won’t happen. Even if the rumor is true, the trade probably won’t happen :lol:

It seems that you have continued to argue and advocate for the rumor even though you now admit that you have no idea if it has any basis in truth or reality! I agree with your last sentence that I bolded.

Myself, having a degree in Economics and 2 years of Law School I will readily admit when I have no reason to believe that something is true and or speculation. But some times people, and I don't mean you, get "invested" in an idea even if they know that it is thinly supported or even unsupportable. When this happens the argument breaks down and goes no where.

One thing that I do know about RealGm is that Scoot McGroot knows a lot about the CBA and the trading rules, so when he tells you a deal is not legal he's almost always correct.

Many times I will say that I'll stipulate to the position purely for the sake of the discussion but in no way am I advocating the idea. Now I'll admit that I am a bit of a special pleader for the idea that Victor will not be traded this off season. I know quite a bit about the Pacers and how they do things. Shipping out the home town favorite at his low after an injury will not sit well with the fans. Also Victor has this thing he does where he points to the floor and says, "This is my city." This is why I discount the idea that he wants to be traded or will walk away from a 5 year contract offer next summer.

You can't help but love Victor. I met him 2 years ago when I was doing some work for one of his team mates, Vic is one of a kind.

Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#30 » by Leslie Forman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:23 am

Is TJ Warren really what the Bulls need to be putting next to Zach LaVine and Coby White?
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#31 » by gobullschi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:14 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

It seems that you have continued to argue and advocate for the rumor even though you now admit that you have no idea if it has any basis in truth or reality! I agree with your last sentence that I bolded.

Myself, having a degree in Economics and 2 years of Law School I will readily admit when I have no reason to believe that something is true and or speculation. But some times people, and I don't mean you, get "invested" in an idea even if they know that it is thinly supported or even unsupportable. When this happens the argument breaks down and goes no where.

One thing that I do know about RealGm is that Scoot McGroot knows a lot about the CBA and the trading rules, so when he tells you a deal is not legal he's almost always correct.

Many times I will say that I'll stipulate to the position purely for the sake of the discussion but in no way am I advocating the idea. Now I'll admit that I am a bit of a special pleader for the idea that Victor will not be traded this off season. I know quite a bit about the Pacers and how they do things. Shipping out the home town favorite at his low after an injury will not sit well with the fans. Also Victor has this thing he does where he points to the floor and says, "This is my city." This is why I discount the idea that he wants to be traded or will walk away from a 5 year contract offer next summer.

You can't help but love Victor. I met him 2 years ago when I was doing some work for one of his team mates, Vic is one of a kind.

Sometimes people think you’re arguing when you’re not. I wasn’t arguing whether the trade was legal and was just pointing out that it worked it multiple trade checkers. (No cap expert) Scoot made the suggestion to add specific players (Leaf/Lamb) - which was great feedback, but did those players being added make it a deal breaker?

Then it became about the validity of the rumor, which wasn’t the direction I was intending the conversation to go. My point was IF the rumor had legs and he did want out, is this a trade Indy would consider? Unfortunately we couldn’t get past points I was trying to put aside and go forward with the hypothetical scenario.

I could have done a better job navigating the conversation though. :banghead:

Return to Trades and Transactions