If cap shrinks by $8m, how would that modify--if at all--your thinking about your team's approach to 2020 off-season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Re: If cap shrinks by $8m, how would that modify--if at all--your thinking about your team's approach to 2020 off-season 

Post#21 » by Parataxis » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:38 pm

For the Raptors, it would save us ~2mil off Siakam's salary, and would make negotiating with FVV a lot tougher, but shouldn't change TOO much beyond that.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Re: If cap shrinks by $8m, how would that modify--if at all--your thinking about your team's approach to 2020 off-season 

Post#22 » by gswhoops » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:20 pm

giberish wrote:It would make more sense for GS to deal Wiggins with salary relief in mind, but also much more expensive.

More likely is that it means that they won't use much, if any, of the Iggy TPE for improvement (perhaps picking up a rookie contract guy as part of a trade down).

Agreed. Think it also makes a trade down more likely, since the rookie scale numbers drop quickly and the FO might balk at spending $9M a year on a rookie who may not contribute much in year 1.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#23 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Parataxis wrote:For the Raptors, it would save us ~2mil off Siakam's salary, and would make negotiating with FVV a lot tougher, but shouldn't change TOO much beyond that.

if the tax line doesn't drop, and only cap drops it should actualy make negotiating with FVV EASIER because he will get lower offers from other teams w/ cap space :)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,170

Post#24 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:23 pm

It probably takes the 2% chance that Drummond would opt out, like his agent is threatening to do, and knocks it down to zero.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#25 » by NYG » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:31 pm

The tax number impacts the off-season more than the cap.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#26 » by Billl » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:39 pm

Pistons won't change much. Our best bet was to use our cap space to absorb contracts for draft capital or young prospects. The cap going down would limit the space to do that, but likely make that space a little more valuable in facilitating trades or helping another team clear space to sign a FA. I think those 2 factors would be a wash unless the luxury cap is reduced a ton.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#27 » by Parataxis » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:39 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Parataxis wrote:For the Raptors, it would save us ~2mil off Siakam's salary, and would make negotiating with FVV a lot tougher, but shouldn't change TOO much beyond that.

if the tax line doesn't drop, and only cap drops it should actualy make negotiating with FVV EASIER because he will get lower offers from other teams w/ cap space :)

Yes, but the problem isn't just between Raptors and other teams, it's between FVV and cap-space for a max agent in 2021.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#28 » by loserX » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Utah is over the cap already, but the tax is worrisome.

It may increase the impetus to dump Davis (possibly even Conley), and could cost us Jordan Clarkson in FA.

Also, Utah had been hoping to extend Gobert and Mitchell this offseason. I assume it's better for them now to wait until next year to see if the cap jumps back up?
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,828

Post#29 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:27 pm

Bobby Marks is reporting that teams are trying to get the league to set the tax at $139M even if the cap goes down so that the trade market has more options.

I think as long as the tax line stays high most teams will be fine. Sucks for those teams who carved out cap space though to just lose some value here though the market for selling the space they do have should be quite robust.

Everyone laughs at all my salary dumping trades, but I may get really vindicated. :wink:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#30 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:40 pm

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,274

Post#31 » by mademan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Even at 139 luxury tax, it's gonna take a lot of teams out of the running for the full MLE. W's/Sixers/C's/Nets are for sure out of it, and Rox/Lakers/Bucks are gonna be close depending on what their teams do. Clippers are out too if they bring back Harrell....thats a lot of contenders without an MLE
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#32 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:19 pm

Lal might move on from Giannis dreams if it becomes unpractical . This season likely not much change, use MLE and vet mins .
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,496

Post#33 » by Wolveswin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:26 pm

I think they should lower the tax cap but also allow one amnesty player for each team. Depending on fine print of amnesty rules (new signed salary deduct total from team amnestied said player as one), this would be a very positive outcome this offseason. More free agents moving teams, more trades (once teams are in better financial standing), more cap space, more MLE available with more players worthy to be signed using MLE, and more.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#34 » by babyjax13 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Utah is more likely to try and reduce their current year payroll by moving Davis and/or Conley to hopefully retain Clarkson. Likely doesn't use the full MLE. I think more likely to extend Rudy if it is tied to this year's cap and they anticipate the cap jumping in the future (his salary is about $2 million lower b/c of the drop).

I think we may see a flurry of extensions by teams w/money.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#35 » by Buzzard » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:51 pm

Wolveswin wrote:I think they should lower the tax cap but also allow one amnesty player for each team. Depending on fine print of amnesty rules (new signed salary deduct total from team amnestied said player as one), this would be a very positive outcome this offseason. More free agents moving teams, more trades (once teams are in better financial standing), more cap space, more MLE available with more players worthy to be signed using MLE, and more.

The amnesty was pretty much a failure with only a handful of teams using it. By making the luxury tax higher it opens up the trade market; which in theory could help all teams. I do not expect a amnesty to be implemented.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,890

Post#36 » by JasonStern » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 pm

Lillard would need to average 60 a game instead of 50, otherwise nothing changes.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Post#37 » by gswhoops » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:05 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Bobby Marks is reporting that teams are trying to get the league to set the tax at $139M even if the cap goes down so that the trade market has more options.

I think as long as the tax line stays high most teams will be fine. Sucks for those teams who carved out cap space though to just lose some value here though the market for selling the space they do have should be quite robust.

Everyone laughs at all my salary dumping trades, but I may get really vindicated. :wink:

Cap going down but the tax line staying the same/going up is the best case scenario for teams like GS, Philly, Boston, etc. who are going to be over the cap regardless but are pushing/in the tax.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,730

Post#38 » by the_process » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:54 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Bobby Marks is reporting that teams are trying to get the league to set the tax at $139M even if the cap goes down so that the trade market has more options.

Marks is also saying the cap will not drop from $109, it could even go up to $111.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#39 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:59 pm

Btw and fwiw... Marks has some history of reporting things that didn't turn out. I'd go back and dig up research, but I'm too lazy to substantiate that, so no one should feel obliged to take my word for it.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#40 » by pacers33granger » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:16 pm

Probably doesn't change much for Indy. We're locked in for almost all of our rotation guys anyways. If push comes to shove, we unfortunately don't get to resign Justin Holiday. We'll still try like hell to dump Leaf, but this makes it tougher.

Return to Trades and Transactions