CP3 To Chicago, Big Deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,250

CP3 To Chicago, Big Deal 

Post#1 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:43 pm

Chicago Trades: #4 pick, OPJ, Young

OKC Trades: CP3, Dort, 2021 Miami 1st rounder, top 5 protected

Why for Chicago: Donovan get's some of his old OKC guys. Chicago gets a primary ballhandler and playmaker. Also get a couple of nice, smaller assets.

Why for OKC: They get a big asset in the 4 pick, get off of CP3's deal, and give up some minor assets to close the gap in Dort and a future Miami pick. They also get a look at hopefully a healthy OPJ and allow SGA to run the show. OKC drafts Deni to help with playmaking duties.

Looking for input on value. Is the 4 pick too much? Can Chicago get CP3 without giving up that pick? Is OPJ-Sato + 2nd rounder enough?
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Re: CP3 To Chicago, Big Deal 

Post#2 » by giberish » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:59 pm

IMO the #4 is definately too much. Something like Porter + Sato for Paul + Fergueson is about right.

Of course it's somewhat unclear what Paul's trade value is around the league. I'd say Chicago should make a move if there is a straight up kind of deal, but certainly shouldn't be giving up a high lotto pick in addition to taking on the extra year of Paul's contract.

I'm less sure about OKC's plans.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#3 » by Pinkyring » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:13 pm

Picks aren't necessary here opj and young should be enough for Paul
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#4 » by gobullschi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 pm

No way Bulls move a top 5 pick for CP3. lol
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,250

Post#5 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:23 pm

Oh wow, I guess too much. Would be happy with a OPJ + Young deal, or even Sato instead of Young. 2nd rounder too if needed.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,087

Post#6 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:25 pm

4th is too much. But a protected pick would need to be included with Otto and Sato. And no Dort in that iteration.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,322

Post#7 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:57 pm

There's something about Dort that makes people want to propose top 5 picks for him on this board lol.

If OPJ has to go out for salary matching purposes then there's no picks coming from Chicago (I'd argue there could be some coming TO Chicago). If it were Thad/Sato/Felicio for CP3 then I could understand perhaps a lotto protected into 2 2nds type protection.

CP3 was good last year no doubt and probably still has something left in the tank. But with the shrinking cap/lowered revenue projections and I can't envision the Bulls (or many teams) looking to give up value for that 2 year 90M contract on a 36/37yo PG.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#8 » by sonictecture » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:00 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:There's something about Dort that makes people want to propose top 5 picks for him on this board lol.

If OPJ has to go out for salary matching purposes then there's no picks coming from Chicago (I'd argue there could be some coming TO Chicago). If it were Thad/Sato/Felicio for CP3 then I could understand perhaps a lotto protected into 2 2nds type protection.

CP3 was good last year no doubt and probably still has something left in the tank. But with the shrinking cap/lowered revenue projections and I can't envision the Bulls (or many teams) looking to give up value for that 2 year 90M contract on a 36/37yo PG.

There’s Something about this board where a large contingent don’t see the value of Chris Paul despite a HOF career and his continued great play. Lol.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:22 am

sonictecture wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:There's something about Dort that makes people want to propose top 5 picks for him on this board lol.

There’s Something about this board where a large contingent don’t see the value of Chris Paul despite a HOF career and his continued great play. Lol.

I mean I acknowledge his good play in the post you quoted so the lol seems pretty unnecessary/oblivious.

But of course there are other factors in valuing CP3 on the trade market (age, enormous contract, fiscal state of the league being examples I also mentioned in the aforementioned quoted post).
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#10 » by patman66 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:47 am

sonictecture wrote:

Well I see in Paul is a guy who had a good year after sub par ones. I also see a guy who has to be the man, and finds fault with his team mates more than with him self. I don't think he would be as good as the 3rd star on a team. Now a role like he had in OKC, as the only "star" I have less reservations about him. But prior to last year he missed 20 games a year for three straight years. you are paying a guy almost 85 mil for two years you would like him to play more than 3 out of 4 games. Even last year he was not the 20 point, 10 assist .400 from three that he was when he signed the deal.

To me he has the value of a late 1st if expiring deals are going back.

The bulls move down to 8 with the knicks as part of the package the bulls move the #27, 38 OPJ, Sato, Felicio Okc saves 42 mill in 2022 and gets a late 1st.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#11 » by sonictecture » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:25 am

patman66 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:

Well I see in Paul is a guy who had a good year after sub par ones. I also see a guy who has to be the man, and finds fault with his team mates more than with him self. I don't think he would be as good as the 3rd star on a team. Now a role like he had in OKC, as the only "star" I have less reservations about him. But prior to last year he missed 20 games a year for three straight years. you are paying a guy almost 85 mil for two years you would like him to play more than 3 out of 4 games. Even last year he was not the 20 point, 10 assist .400 from three that he was when he signed the deal.

You are missing so much within your field of vision.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,087

Post#12 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:47 am

patman66 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:

The bulls move down to 8 with the knicks as part of the package the bulls move the #27, 38 OPJ, Sato, Felicio Okc saves 42 mill in 2022 and gets a late 1st.

Incorrect on several fronts but specifically here Sato is owed 10m next year. OPJ, Felicio, 2021 CHI 1st top 10 prot seems pretty solid for a top 5 NBA PG.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#13 » by patman66 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:01 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
patman66 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:There’s Something about this board where a large contingent don’t see the value of Chris Paul despite a HOF career and his continued great play. Lol.

Incorrect on several fronts but specifically here Sato is owed 10m next year. OPJ, Felicio, 2021 CHI 1st top 10 prot seems pretty solid for a top 5 NBA PG.

The guarantee is only 5 mil. but it is still a 35 mill savings in 2022, yeah, if he was getting paid 26 mill Like Jrue and not 42 mill I might agree with you on the top 10 protected pick. But that 30 mill extra over two years kills his value.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:05 am

sonictecture wrote:
patman66 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:There’s Something about this board where a large contingent don’t see the value of Chris Paul despite a HOF career and his continued great play. Lol.

You are missing so much within your field of vision.

The same looks true for you. Funny how that whole perspective thing applies to everyone.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,582

Post#15 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 am

sonictecture wrote:

Is this really true?

I’d say other than this suggestion, opinions on this board are pretty accurate considering that the only relevant number higher than CP3s age is his salary.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#16 » by getrichordie » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:47 am

I just can't get on board with this direction being good for Chicago. What's the point for Chicago to grab Paul? Paul isn't going to vault them into contender status with what will be left and as a lot of Chicago fan's like to say, the FO is notoriously cheap. Chicago has way more to gain by trading up for Ball or standing pat and just taking a Hayes or trading down, getting a vet point and taking Okoro..
[twitter] @thunderdustin
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#17 » by wolves_89 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:26 am

The Bulls are nowhere close to being ready to make a win now move like the proposed trade (Paul is pretty much the extreme case of a win now acquisition). Chicago needs to let the young guys (White, Carter, Markkanen, and the #4 pick) develop for a year or two before even considering trading assets for a short term gain.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#18 » by drosereturn » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:05 am

Pinkyring wrote:Picks aren't necessary here opj and young should be enough for Paul

I dont think so. Then why didnt Presi move him so easily? And desperate teams like Bucks will offer a lot.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#19 » by cjmcallist » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:51 am

giberish wrote:IMO the #4 is definately too much. Something like Porter + Sato for Paul + Fergueson is about right.

Of course it's somewhat unclear what Paul's trade value is around the league. I'd say Chicago should make a move if there is a straight up kind of deal, but certainly shouldn't be giving up a high lotto pick in addition to taking on the extra year of Paul's contract.

I'm less sure about OKC's plans.

#4 is probably too much.

Porter + Sato is not nearly enough though.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#20 » by Pinkyring » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:28 pm

sonictecture wrote:

Everybody sees his value but if he 28 ge could bring in or Crest haul or if he was on a 2/50 instead of almost double or if he didn't have the injury history. once you factor in age injury and cost at best okc can shave 30m salary over the two years and get a late first

Return to Trades and Transactions