Free Agency, Rumors, Thoughts in General 2.0

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Re: Free Agency, Rumors, Thoughts in General 2.0 

Post#21 » by aguiar95 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 am

This offseason has been one of the best in years. A lot, an I mean A LOT (20-25 teams) of teams got their identity and made the right move. Tip my hat to all of y'all. There isn't a single team that I hated their moves. Really surprised with how things turned out. And still more to come. Glad the NBA is back.
GaryDags
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#22 » by GaryDags » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 am

Is there a posting for updated cap space for day 2 of free agency? Curious as to how things stand for day 2.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:24 pm

GaryDags wrote:Is there a posting for updated cap space for day 2 of free agency? Curious as to how things stand for day 2.

The hard thing is, it’s all super fluid based on the order of the moves processed at league headquarters on Sunday.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#24 » by Kilo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:37 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:Can someone explain to me, what is the Detroit plan ..?

8th Seed and first round exits.

Current Roster as best I can tell -

Derrick Rose|Delon Wright|Killian Hayes
Svi Mykhailiuk|Josh Jackson|Dzanan Musa
Jerami Grant|Saddiq Bey
Blake Griffin|Sekou Doumbouya
Mason Plumlee|Isaiah Stewart|Jahil Okafor
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#25 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Kilo wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:Can someone explain to me, what is the Detroit plan ..?

8th Seed and first round exits.

Current Roster as best I can tell -

Derrick Rose|Delon Wright|Killian Hayes
Svi Mykhailiuk|Josh Jackson|Dzanan Musa
Jerami Grant|Saddiq Bey
Blake Griffin|Sekou Doumbouya
Mason Plumlee|Isaiah Stewart|Jahil Okafor

If there is a worse roster in the NBA right now, I sure as heck don’t want to look at it. Did DET hire David Kahn as a Consultant???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#26 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:54 pm

He’s overpaid x 2 but if he’s stays with DAL, James Johnson is a great addition. An $18M Expiring that brings toughness/productivity on the court and leadership in the locker room. If I’m Giannis, the Mavs would look very good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#27 » by Buzzard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Hawks got a top target with Gallinari. Him and Rondo were rumored to be their priorities on the 18th by Mark Stein. This was about the time it became apparent Hayward was Indy or Boston bound or bust. I did not think they had a chance at Gallinari with his comments about wanting to play for a contender, but it worked out. Now lets see if Playoff Rondo wants to come to Atlanta.

I think Gallinari starts at SF. He played SF for 10 seasons and he could be the opening day starter over Hunter. The Hawks have something like 26 million in cap left and may still have a outside chance at Bogdan but I am not holding my breath.

Read on Twitter
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#28 » by Buzzard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Apz wrote:General thought is that damn how overpayed many got today. Thought teams would hold back at these times, specially since 21 is such a nice draft. But feels like eveyone dxcepg okc and knicks swinging for the title

There is that rumor about 20% of salaries being held back for predicted losses this season. If the losses happen, Gallinari's 20.5 million this season turns out to be 16.5 million for this season.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,475

Post#29 » by jayjaysee » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Somehow Presti is getting the “draft consideration” in the Dallas trade instead of Detroit?

I really like Wright and think Pistons fans will be very surprised by how decent he is.

But I really like the trade as long as it’s just a couple 2nds going out..we needed to balance the roster and the roster spot so I’m thinking we haven’t seen the last of Barea!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#30 » by tiderulz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:33 pm

meanwhile our wonderful Orlando front office
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Apz wrote:General thought is that damn how overpayed many got today. Thought teams would hold back at these times, specially since 21 is such a nice draft. But feels like eveyone dxcepg okc and knicks swinging for the title

There is that rumor about 20% of salaries being held back for predicted losses this season. If that happens, Gallinari's 20.5 million this season turns out to be 16.5 million for this season.

I would kind of ignore that, because it’s all salaries, and the expectation is that owners will be losing money too. That money is paid out by the owners, and the league will escrow the 20% and in a couple years, they’re going to figure it all out. The owners don’t get to sit on that 20% or money in the meantime.

Otherwise, if you’re going off of Basketball Reference’s position guide, it merely lines up players based on the height of players on the court. This is why people think that Doug McDermott played PF for Indy this season, and he maybe only played a handful of minutes there. Even though Justin Holiday played the 4, Doug is taller, so Basketball Reference listed Doug as the 4 and Justin as the 3. Gallo has been a 4 a really good portion of his career. He can play the 3, too, but he’s more a strength on court at the 4.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#32 » by Buzzard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Buzzard wrote:

There is that rumor about 20% of salaries being held back for predicted losses this season. If that happens, Gallinari's 20.5 million this season turns out to be 16.5 million for this season.

I would kind of ignore that, because it’s all salaries, and the expectation is that owners will be losing money too. That money is paid out by the owners, and the league will escrow the 20% and in a couple years, they’re going to figure it all out. The owners don’t get to sit on that 20% or money in the meantime.

Otherwise, if you’re going off of Basketball Reference’s position guide, it merely lines up players based on the height of players on the court. This is why people think that Doug McDermott played PF for Indy this season, and he maybe only played a handful of minutes there. Even though Justin Holiday played the 4, Doug is taller, so Basketball Reference listed Doug as the 4 and Justin as the 3. Gallo has been a 4 a really good portion of his career. He can play the 3, too, but he’s more a strength on court at the 4.

I know Ressler does not get to keep it in his pockets. I was just pointing out the facts. Losses are losses for the owners and players. That will be determined at the end of the season.

I like Gallanari starting for Atlanta. 96 minutes at SF and PF. He, Hunter, and Collins will have no problem getting their minutes in.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:46 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Buzzard wrote:There is that rumor about 20% of salaries being held back for predicted losses this season. If that happens, Gallinari's 20.5 million this season turns out to be 16.5 million for this season.

I know Ressler does not get to keep it in his pockets. I was just pointing out the facts. Losses are losses for the owners and players. That will be determined at the end of the season.

Sure, but the owners are still paying out the full salary, just some of it to escrow. Maybe in 2-3 years they get it back depending on Covid and BRI. He still costs Atlanta 20.5 this year.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#34 » by VCfor3 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:48 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Somehow Presti is getting the “draft consideration” in the Dallas trade instead of Detroit?

I really like Wright and think Pistons fans will be very surprised by how decent he is.

But I really like the trade as long as it’s just a couple 2nds going out..we needed to balance the roster and the roster spot so I’m thinking we haven’t seen the last of Barea!

Yeah I don't get that. If Detroit was willing to do Wright for Ariza straight up then wouldn't that have been better for Dallas and they save their 2nds for a different deal?
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#35 » by Buzzard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:49 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Sure, but the owners are still paying out the full salary, just some of it to escrow. Maybe in 2-3 years they get it back depending on Covid and BRI. He still costs Atlanta 20.5 this year.

Yes the money does go out. I just said Ressler does not get to keep it in his pockets.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:49 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Buzzard wrote:There is that rumor about 20% of salaries being held back for predicted losses this season. If that happens, Gallinari's 20.5 million this season turns out to be 16.5 million for this season.

I like Gallanari starting for Atlanta. 96 minutes at SF and PF. He, Hunter, and Collins will have no problem getting their minutes in.

And as for SF/PF, that’s true. But what if Reddish or Huerter, or a Bogdan play some SF, too? Otherwise, Reddish and Huerter are only splitting 48 minutes a night. And if you sign a Rondo or backup PG, there’s only 48 minutes a night at PG for he and Trae, so if you play them up a position (any of the guards) to get them more minutes, you’re cutting that 96 at SF/PF a bunch too.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:52 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I know Ressler does not get to keep it in his pockets. I was just pointing out the facts. Losses are losses for the owners and players. That will be determined at the end of the season.

Yes the money does go out. I just said Ressler does not get to keep it in his pockets.

Ah. Your post I I originally quoted read as if you were saying Gallo was only getting paid 16.5m this year from the Hawks, which is what I responded to.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#38 » by Buzzard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

And as for SF/PF, that’s true. But what if Reddish or Huerter, or a Bogdan play some SF, too? Otherwise, Reddish and Huerter are only splitting 48 minutes a night. And if you sign a Rondo or backup PG, there’s only 48 minutes a night at PG for he and Trae, so if you play them up a position (any of the guards) to get them more minutes, you’re cutting that 96 at SF/PF a bunch too.

I think you are worried about a whole lot of nothing. Schlenk said going into this draft and free agency he would be getting players that can compete. In a nutshell, if one of the young players gets beat out of his starting position, best player takes the court.

Maybe you did not notice this but the three players most rumored with the Hawks, Gallinari, Hayward, Brogdan have all been very good starters in the league. I said a month ago, the Hawks are set at PG Trae, PF Collins, Center Capela. Everything else is up in the air.

Rondo played 20.5 minutes a game in LA. Teague played 20.8 minutes a game ( 25 games ) once he was traded to Atlanta. That is like a perfect swap.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#39 » by Buzzard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:10 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Ah. Your post I I originally quoted read as if you were saying Gallo was only getting paid 16.5m this year from the Hawks, which is what I responded to.

I took it for granted people knew the losses would be determined at the end of the season and the 20% and 16.5 was only a estimation.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I know Ressler does not get to keep it in his pockets. I was just pointing out the facts. Losses are losses for the owners and players. That will be determined at the end of the season.

I think you are worried about a whole lot of nothing. Schlenk said going into this draft and free agency he would be getting players that can compete. In a nutshell, if one of the rookies gets beat out of his starting position, best player takes the court.

Maybe you did not notice this but the three players most rumored with the Hawks, Gallinari, Hayward, Brogdan have all been very good starters in the league. I said a month ago, the Hawks are set at PG Trae, PF Collins, Center Capela. Everything else is up in the air.

Rondo played 20.5 minutes a game in LA. Teague played 20.8 minutes a game ( 25 games ) once he was traded to Atlanta. That is like a perfect swap.

Oh, I’m not worried. I’m not reading Schlenk, so I’m really just going off of what you’ve posted about the Hawks this offseason and your concerns. You’ve previously pointed out how you think the Hawks didn’t want to put barriers up to the young guys, so if you’ve changed your opinion, then it’s changed. I wouldn’t otherwise have reason to change my understanding, which is mostly based off conversations with, well, you, here.

Return to Trades and Transactions