[Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward

Moderators: loserX, pacers33granger, Texas Chuck, HartfordWhalers, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, Trader_Joe, BullyKing

User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 14,606
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#161 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:55 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Basically whatever the Hornets choose to do is always the right decision--I mean just look at their track record.


Basically our GM is a 5-time Championship GM, acquired Pay Gasol for nothin. Is there a different track record we should be made aware of? And how is that Kemba contract working out for the Celtics?


You failed hard at making this about me lol. And failed even harder calling Marc Gasol nothing.

You failed hard at attaching the failures of prior regimes on Kupchak. The Hornets have a new front office but I guess it's cool to treat it like it's an extension of the last one.
It has been written...

Image
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 13,503
And1: 5,750
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#162 » by pacers33granger » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:56 pm

MasterIchiro wrote: Kupchak is a great drafter. He's not valuing 9 million cap > draft capital of any kind when we're not a free agent destination.


$9 million in space over 3 years can net you some pretty good draft capital if you utilize it right. It's not all about overpaying free agents.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 57,073
And1: 47,951
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#163 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:58 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Basically our GM is a 5-time Championship GM, acquired Pay Gasol for nothin. Is there a different track record we should be made aware of? And how is that Kemba contract working out for the Celtics?


You failed hard at making this about me lol. And failed even harder calling Marc Gasol nothing.

You failed hard at attaching the failures of prior regimes on Kupchak. The Hornets have a new front office but I guess it's cool to treat it like it's an extension of the last one.


I don't think you read my post. I was supporting your position that whatever decision the Hornets make is a good one simply because they made it. We don't need to use any actual analysis because you make your evaluations based solely on the team making the decision. That makes you a great fan.
Jonathan Swift wrote:Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect...
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 14,606
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#164 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:58 pm

[instagram][/instagram]
pacers33granger wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote: Kupchak is a great drafter. He's not valuing 9 million cap > draft capital of any kind when we're not a free agent destination.


$9 million in space over 3 years can net you some pretty good draft capital if you utilize it right. It's not all about overpaying free agents.


With our cap sheet we will have ample space to make those kinds of deals. And so far Kupchak hasn't attached a single pick to Cho's bad contracts. It's not gonna happen.
It has been written...

Image
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 14,606
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#165 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
You failed hard at making this about me lol. And failed even harder calling Marc Gasol nothing.

You failed hard at attaching the failures of prior regimes on Kupchak. The Hornets have a new front office but I guess it's cool to treat it like it's an extension of the last one.


I don't think you read my post. I was supporting your position that whatever decision the Hornets make is a good one simply because they made it. We don't need to use any actual analysis because you make your evaluations based solely on the team making the decision. That makes you a great fan.


Awesome, man.
It has been written...

Image
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 14,606
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#166 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 pm

I laugh because I absolutely hated Cho and trust Kupchak.
It has been written...

Image
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 13,503
And1: 5,750
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#167 » by pacers33granger » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:02 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:[instagram][/instagram]
pacers33granger wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote: Kupchak is a great drafter. He's not valuing 9 million cap > draft capital of any kind when we're not a free agent destination.


$9 million in space over 3 years can net you some pretty good draft capital if you utilize it right. It's not all about overpaying free agents.


With our cap sheet we will have ample space to make those kinds of deals. And so far Kupchak hasn't attached a single pick to Cho's bad contracts. It's not gonna happen.


Not the point, but that cap can get eaten up pretty quickly either way. You're at about $70mil next offseason for 7 guys with Devonte and Monk as free agents you'd presumably like to bring back and no center. That's without the Batum money stretched.
User avatar
Laimbeer
RealGM
Posts: 34,084
And1: 10,091
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: Cabin Creek

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#168 » by Laimbeer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:07 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:[instagram][/instagram]
pacers33granger wrote:
$9 million in space over 3 years can net you some pretty good draft capital if you utilize it right. It's not all about overpaying free agents.


With our cap sheet we will have ample space to make those kinds of deals. And so far Kupchak hasn't attached a single pick to Cho's bad contracts. It's not gonna happen.


Not the point, but that cap can get eaten up pretty quickly either way. You're at about $70mil next offseason for 7 guys with Devonte and Monk as free agents you'd presumably like to bring back and no center. That's without the Batum money stretched.


Sadly the Hornets seem to be Piston mode - kinda rebuild and kinda fighting for that eight seed.
hugepatsfan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,477
And1: 1,149
Joined: May 28, 2020
       

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#169 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:57 pm

One thing to note... Trez Harrell reportedly turned down more money from CHA to sign with the Lakers. The Hornets needs to clear about $7M to facilitate this Hayward signing. Batum stretch saves them about $18M. It's possible that they planned to waive/stretch Batum because they wanted to sign BOTH Hayward and Harrell. In that case, there probably wouldn't have been another option. But now that Trez isn't coming, finding an alternate way to make the room is logical.
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 16,839
And1: 17,597
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#170 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:22 am

The more I thought about this the more I like it.

It's hard to get FA going to Charlotte and Hayward put up decent stats as a 3rd/4th option on the Celtics.

It also helps protect LaMelo coming in and gives their young players a high IQ veteran to look to for support.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 14,606
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#171 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:21 am

hugepatsfan wrote:One thing to note... Trez Harrell reportedly turned down more money from CHA to sign with the Lakers. The Hornets needs to clear about $7M to facilitate this Hayward signing. Batum stretch saves them about $18M. It's possible that they planned to waive/stretch Batum because they wanted to sign BOTH Hayward and Harrell. In that case, there probably wouldn't have been another option. But now that Trez isn't coming, finding an alternate way to make the room is logical.


Nice catch. If we follow your logic then I'd still be willing to stretch Batum if we also solve our center situation. I'd love Myles Turner.
It has been written...

Image
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 14,606
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#172 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:26 am

zimpy27 wrote:The more I thought about this the more I like it.

It's hard to get FA going to Charlotte and Hayward put up decent stats as a 3rd/4th option on the Celtics.

It also helps protect LaMelo coming in and gives their young players a high IQ veteran to look to for support.


The next free agent class is great but many teams will have cap so we will lose leverage. We capitalized on a market where teams are cashed out and Hayward is a go-to scorer. He was more efficient than Kemba, Tatum and Brown. Give him the minutes and let him run offense and he will be a borderline All-star again. And it shows LaMelo we're serious about winning. I think we consider him a bedrock foundational piece and we showed we will seize the opportunity to build around him day one.
It has been written...

Image
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
Posts: 9,617
And1: 2,323
Joined: Aug 05, 2012

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#173 » by jayjaysee » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:01 am

How much is Carter worth?

Like Zeller, Monk, 2021 top ten protected first for Carter, Felicio, Gafford? Either stretch Felicio or send him to Boston with a second. Whatever.

Edits. Is the deal official? I missed that. Oh well
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 38,361
And1: 7,801
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#174 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Yesterday 4:32 pm

Read on Twitter


It just keeps getting worse
I really hate this team
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 13,503
And1: 5,750
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#175 » by pacers33granger » Yesterday 6:21 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Read on Twitter


It just keeps getting worse
I didn't think a deal later to Indy was going to happen anyways but this makes it even more certain given the current contract was higher than we were willing to go.

I guess Charlotte added it in because they have no intention of trading him but I doubt it was necessary.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 30,244
And1: 4,924
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#176 » by Scoot McGroot » Yesterday 6:58 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Read on Twitter


It just keeps getting worse


Yup. The team trading the player is the one that has to pay that. The higher cap average would sit on other team's cap, making it a tad tougher to deal him.
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 14,606
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#177 » by MasterIchiro » Yesterday 8:29 pm

So Hayward wants to remain a Hornet throughout the 4 years of his contract. We're flattered!

I hope we can convince a max player to join him next off-season. If we move Rozier at the deadline for an expiring contract we have a max slot.

Hopefully Rozier will average 20 PPG but that will be tough as third option behind Hayward and Devonte' Graham. Rozier's final year next year is for 17.9 million.
It has been written...

Image
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 38,361
And1: 7,801
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#178 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Yesterday 8:30 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:So Hayward wants to remain a Hornet throughout the 4 years of his contract. We're flattered!

I hope we can convince a max player to join him next off-season. If we move Rozier at the deadline for an expiring contract we have a max slot.

Hopefully Rozier will average 20 PPG but that will be tough as third option behind Hayward and Devonte' Graham. Rozier's final year next year is for 17.9 million.

Maybe we'll end up stretching Rozier to create that cap space too :lol: :lol: :lol:
I really hate this team
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 14,606
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: [Woj] Charlotte throws way too much money at Gordon Hayward 

Post#179 » by MasterIchiro » Yesterday 8:36 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:So Hayward wants to remain a Hornet throughout the 4 years of his contract. We're flattered!

I hope we can convince a max player to join him next off-season. If we move Rozier at the deadline for an expiring contract we have a max slot.

Hopefully Rozier will average 20 PPG but that will be tough as third option behind Hayward and Devonte' Graham. Rozier's final year next year is for 17.9 million.

Maybe we'll end up stretching Rozier to create that cap space too :lol: :lol: :lol:


C'mon man, cut Kupchak some slack. Mitch hinted at Hayward being a target next off-season before he unexpectedly opted out. He was their guy and the original plan was to let Batum expire so they didn't want Batum's unmovable contract preventing them from adding a key piece to the rebuild. Hayward is as much a rebuild piece (playmaker) as a win now piece (go-to scorer) as he makes everyone better. As Rozier said Hayward can create for himself and others. Our prospects developed significantly last year with Rozier as the lone vet on the floor with them. Hayward is the perfect development piece for Devonte' + Miles + PJ + Monk + LaMelo.

We need a max player and we will make some noise. It's now much easier to attract one with Hayward on board. He has a great reputation as a player other guys enjoy playing alongside. LaMelo will be one of those types as well. And Devonte'.
It has been written...

Image

Return to Trades and Transactions