Shotblocker wanted for the Mavs, what option is available?

Moderators: loserX, pacers33granger, Texas Chuck, HartfordWhalers, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, Trader_Joe, BullyKing

User avatar
_qubik
Junior
Posts: 385
And1: 193
Joined: Sep 21, 2020
   

Re: Shotblocker wanted for the Mavs, what option is available? 

Post#21 » by _qubik » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Mavs just need to chill, they have got he biggest improvement of any roster around the league. If KP stays healthy for all the season, they will be waaaay better than last season. Richardson will do nice in this roster, James Johnson too
hugepatsfan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,477
And1: 1,149
Joined: May 28, 2020
       

Re: Shotblocker wanted for the Mavs, what option is available? 

Post#22 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:55 pm

I think Theis could be had in a right deal. He’s expiring so he seems to fit their mold of going for good players who fit but help cap next year.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 57,073
And1: 47,951
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Shotblocker wanted for the Mavs, what option is available? 

Post#23 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:56 pm

_qubik wrote:Mavs just need to chill, they have got he biggest improvement of any roster around the league. If KP stays healthy for all the season, they will be waaaay better than last season. Richardson will do nice in this roster, James Johnson too


They definitely do not have the biggest improvement. What?

Richardson over Curry is really the only argument and remember Dallas got incentive to make that swap. Johnson? Iwundu? the draft picks? Unlikely to make a major impact.

The Dallas off-season was about 2 things -- 2021 cap flexibility and getting some more athleticism on the wing.

But plenty of teams improved far more than Dallas.
Jonathan Swift wrote:Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect...
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
Posts: 9,617
And1: 2,323
Joined: Aug 05, 2012

Re: Shotblocker wanted for the Mavs, what option is available? 

Post#24 » by jayjaysee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:02 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:I think Theis could be had in a right deal. He’s expiring so he seems to fit their mold of going for good players who fit but help cap next year.


If Dallas is trading for another average center.. then Powell needs to go out IMO. And Boston isn’t taking his contract on for what Dallas would pay. So don’t see a deal

Maybe target him once Powell or Maxi get hurt.

Boban and Brunson for him does match but yeah.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 57,073
And1: 47,951
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Shotblocker wanted for the Mavs, what option is available? 

Post#25 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:06 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:I think Theis could be had in a right deal. He’s expiring so he seems to fit their mold of going for good players who fit but help cap next year.


If Dallas is trading for another average center.. then Powell needs to go out IMO. And Boston isn’t taking his contract on for what Dallas would pay. So don’t see a deal


Bobi plus future 2nds works in terms of matching and while I love Bobi, I would definitely do that. But Boston shouldn't. If Boston gets their big TPE for Hayward I would do Johnson plus future 2nds for him, but again Boston shouldn't.

I really like him and would play him over Powell/Bobi and just make Maxi a full-time PF(when KP is healthy). Then DFS gets more SF minutes instead of Timmy.
Jonathan Swift wrote:Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect...
User avatar
_qubik
Junior
Posts: 385
And1: 193
Joined: Sep 21, 2020
   

Re: Shotblocker wanted for the Mavs, what option is available? 

Post#26 » by _qubik » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
_qubik wrote:Mavs just need to chill, they have got he biggest improvement of any roster around the league. If KP stays healthy for all the season, they will be waaaay better than last season. Richardson will do nice in this roster, James Johnson too


They definitely do not have the biggest improvement. What?

Richardson over Curry is really the only argument and remember Dallas got incentive to make that swap. Johnson? Iwundu? the draft picks? Unlikely to make a major impact.

The Dallas off-season was about 2 things -- 2021 cap flexibility and getting some more athleticism on the wing.

But plenty of teams improved far more than Dallas.


I don't think so, they dont need more stars, just balance in the rotation. They got Luka, he is already a top player in the league, I can't see a future where he doesnt improve. KP is very good too, the pairing works pretty well. They needed more defense and some help to Luka, Richardson was a very good complementary ball handler and defender in Miami, he will help them a lot, they got a lot of
intriguind wings too, and James Johnson was getting back at form in Minny, he is a nice forward that can create for others. Both Mavs and Sixers already have the stars, they just need to balance the roster. By now everybody knows you have to surround Lebron with shooting and he will do the rest, both teams need to answer what they need to complement KP/Luka, Embiid/Simmons, and for me they are doing it pretty well
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 57,073
And1: 47,951
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Shotblocker wanted for the Mavs, what option is available? 

Post#27 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Okay but that's a different argument than the Mavs improved the most.

I would also disagree that Dallas has enough talent around Luka yet. I agree it doesn't have to be another star, but their best 5 isn't yet good enough and they are having to start multiple guys who should be key bench players.
Jonathan Swift wrote:Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect...

Return to Trades and Transactions