Who Actually Wants Julius Randle?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Re: Who Actually Wants Julius Randle? 

Post#41 » by AmusingFiddle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:06 am

Denver can fit him in their TPE.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#42 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:08 am

Prospect Dong wrote:I actually think the Grizzlies could be a fit, but I'm really unsure about the value. JJJ is a rare big who can cover for a nonshooting non-rim-protector, but he's never going to be an elite volume scorer, or even an adequate rebounder, it looks like. So he and Randle cover for each others' weaknesses quite well, at least in theory.

Randle can play some small-ball 5, right?

Dieng's expiring for Randle straight up works fine. That gets NY off the second year of Randle's deal, and gets them a very good backup 5 who can shoot a bit from the outside. But I'm entirely unsure whether Memphis should be devoting $18m of next year's cap space to a positional dinosaur and/or how to compensate for the extra year...

I would do the deal right now were it not for the fact that we just signed Nerlins Noel. I'd probably still do it if there were no other options.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#43 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:10 am

bigmean wrote:Washington gets barnes and hield
Sacramento gets Randle, smith, rj barrett Bullock
Ny gets wall and rights to halliburton

Nah....Wall makes too much money and is a big injury question mark.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#44 » by loserX » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:33 am

Prospect Dong wrote:Dieng's expiring for Randle straight up works fine. That gets NY off the second year of Randle's deal, and gets them a very good backup 5 who can shoot a bit from the outside. But I'm entirely unsure whether Memphis should be devoting $18m of next year's cap space to a positional dinosaur and/or how to compensate for the extra year...

Randle's contract has only $4M guaranteed next year. (You could stretch that over 3 years and it's less than the vet min.) If you're interested, no need for that to hold you up!
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#45 » by Prospect Dong » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:09 am

loserX wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:Dieng's expiring for Randle straight up works fine. That gets NY off the second year of Randle's deal, and gets them a very good backup 5 who can shoot a bit from the outside. But I'm entirely unsure whether Memphis should be devoting $18m of next year's cap space to a positional dinosaur and/or how to compensate for the extra year...

Randle's contract has only $4M guaranteed next year. (You could stretch that over 3 years and it's less than the vet min.) If you're interested, no need for that to hold you up!

Hmm, I am kinda tempted. Randle/Clarke at the 4, and JJJ/JV at the 5 for the next couple of years. Randle wouldn't get as many minutes as he's been paid for, but better an overpaid backup than an overpaid third stringer I guess.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,062

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 am

stinger14 wrote:Would the Pacers have any interest if they trade Turner? Something like Batum to NY, Turner to Charlotte, Randle to Indiana. Obviously there would be picks involved, and maybe other players too.

Less than none. If we deal Turner, it's in the belief that we need a 4 that can stretch the floor, defend, and run, and Randle is none of that. He's essentially filler, and filler that we'd have trouble with finding playing time since I don't think you could play him with Sabonis.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#47 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:47 am

AmusingFiddle wrote:Denver can fit him in their TPE.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

How is that? If you're talking about the $9.5 million TPE they got for Grant that is not even close to enough.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#48 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:53 am

Knickfan1982 wrote:
loserX wrote:
NYG wrote:What would the Knicks need to add to a Julius Randle for Brandon Ingram sign and trade?

A reason for New Orleans to do it.

:lol: That's hystertical.

Unless of course the option is lose Ingram for nothing or try to squeeze whatever picks they can get from the Knicks I see no reason for Nawlin's to consider this.

why would they lose him for nothing? he's a rfa
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#49 » by Alonzo_Morning » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:43 am

I enjoyed Randle's season here
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#50 » by Resistance » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:28 am

Alonzo_Morning wrote:I enjoyed Randle's season here

He was making fringe starter - bench player money when he was with New Orleans. He will be making over $10 million than for the 2020-21 season.

....................2018-19..........2019-20..........2020-21..........2021-22..
Salary Cap....$101,869,000...$109,140,000...$109,140,000..$112,000,000
Team...........New Orleans.......Knicks............Knicks............Knicks
Randle..........$8,641,000.....$18,000,000.....$18,900,000....$19,800,000
.............................................................................$4,000,000 - Partial Guarantee
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,101

Post#51 » by JB2 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:49 am

Maybe I am in the minority but I feel like he could basically be a 2nd version of what Harrell is if used as a 6th man. Not a good defender but he can still come in a bully people around and put up about 20/10. Just don't expect a star player who can lead teams or even close games. Nobody could use that?
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#52 » by FutureKnicksGM » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
losing Randle is addition by subtraction. But Batum's issue wasn't being a bad guy. It was injury causing his game to fall apart. Knicks could definitely have him in the room but in a suit most game days and be in better shape. Plus they definitely benefit by spending some cap space this off-season to gain some for next year.

But any possessions you are going to waste on Randle would have been better served going to Toppin.

Randle is not a bad team guy. At all. He is not a negative influence on team culture. At all.

Randle seems likable enough. The problem with him is on the court where he’s essentially a ball stopper offensively. Getting him off the court seems like it would be a positive in allowing Barrett/Toppin much more of a real offensive system and flow in which to develop.

Nah, pretty lazy view imo. The knicks offensive system under Fiz was give the ball to Randle 40 feet out and make a play. With the floor spaced by Payton, RJ, Taj and Morris (playing SF). He played much better (as well as the entire team) when Miller came along and the offense ran through someone else (Payton) and there was a semblance of an offensive system. Cut the usage, don't make him your primary offensive initiator (something literally no one would do except Fiz) and he goes back to scoring at .60 TS like the he did the two seasons before.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach

Post#53 » by FutureKnicksGM » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:01 am

Resistance wrote:

He was making fringe starter - bench player money when he was with New Orleans. He will be making over $10 million than for the 2020-21 season.

....................2018-19..........2019-20..........2020-21..........2021-22..
.............................................................................$4,000,000 - Partial Guarantee

Hmm. Alot of Randle trades involve him being swapped for Batum. What value do you have him as vs his actual salary? I personally have him as not nba caliber any more, and maybe gets a vet minimum deal based on his name.
Resistance
General Manager

Post#54 » by Resistance » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:46 am

FutureKnicksGM wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Hmm. Alot of Randle trades involve him being swapped for Batum. What value do you have him as vs his actual salary? I personally have him as not nba caliber any more, and maybe gets a vet minimum deal based on his name.

Value for Batum?

He is just an expiring contract and probably is done in the NBA after his contract is done.

If you want to make this solely about basketball, then Randle has more value than Batum. Others are looking at more factors than being on a basketball court. Batum is used to being an afterthought on a team while Randle isn't.

If the expectation is that Toppin is going to get minutes ASAP, then somebody is going to have to sacrifice minutes. If that somebody is Randle, then the 2020-21 season is going to be Randle's contract year and he wasn't happy when the Lakers had him in a less than favorable situation at the start of the last year of his rookie contract.

In the 2019-20 season, Randle had quite a bit of the spotlight. If the spotlight is shifted to Barrett. Robinson, Toppin etc, it seems that Randle might be an unhappy camper.

If you want to make it just a head to head matchup of Randle versus Batum on a basketball court, then Randle wins. If other things are considred such as the possibility of moping and being a pain in the neck when having to give up the spotlight and/or minutes to his replacement (Toppin), then I have Batum with edge in those areas because he appears to have accepted that this is how it is. I don't have Randle so accepting of that reality.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach

Post#55 » by FutureKnicksGM » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 am

Resistance wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Value for Batum?

He is just an expiring contract and probably is done in the NBA after his contract is done.

If you want to make this solely about basketball, then Randle has more value than Batum. Others are looking at more factors than being on a basketball court. Batum is used to being an afterthought on a team while Randle isn't.

If the expectation is that Toppin is going to get minutes ASAP, then somebody is going to have to sacrifice minutes. If that somebody is Randle, then the 2020-21 season is going to be Randle's contract year and he wasn't happy when the Lakers had him in a less than favorable situation at the start of the last year of his rookie contract.

In the 2019-20 season, Randle had quite a bit of the spotlight. If the spotlight is shifted to Barrett. Robinson, Toppin etc, it seems that Randle might be an unhappy camper.

If you want to make it just a head to head matchup of Randle versus Batum on a basketball court, then Randle wins. If other things are considred such as the possibility of moping and being a pain in the neck when having to give up the spotlight and/or minutes to his replacement (Toppin), then I have Batum with edge in those areas because he appears to have accepted that this is how it is. I don't have Randle so accepting of that reality.

Yep, normally when discussing a trade of basketball players, the ability to play basketball should come in to the equation. But maybe that is just me.

I might be very bold and suggest the team that has just signed a win now player to a max contract, may appreciate having someone coming back who can play basketball, instead of having $27 million of dead weight sitting on the books,

Randle is clearly closer to earning his contract in comparison.

I don't think i have seen a potential hypothetical (which has been completely a non-factor in Randle's first two stops where he was a 6th man), has been as highly valued over the ability to play basketball, and contracts in the millions of dollars.

Was it a mistake for MIN to have given up the pick they did for Rubio (will a guy who had the spotlight as a starting pg in the league for his entire career, be happy to come off the bench behind Russell and Edwards/Beasley)?
Resistance
General Manager

Post#56 » by Resistance » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:27 am

FutureKnicksGM wrote:
Resistance wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:

Value for Batum?

Yep, normally when discussing a trade of basketball players, the ability to play basketball should come in to the equation. But maybe that is just me.

I might be very bold and suggest the team that has just signed a win now player to a max contract, may appreciate having someone coming back who can play basketball, instead of having $27 million of dead weight sitting on the books,

I don't think i have seen a potential hypothetical (which has been completely a non-factor in Randle's first two stops where he was a 6th man), has been as highly valued over the ability to play basketball, and contracts in the millions of dollars.

Was it a mistake for MIN to have given up the pick they did for Rubio (will a guy who had the spotlight as a starting pg in the league for his entire career, be happy to come off the bench behind Russell and Edwards/Beasley)?

Which team are you talking about that just signed a win now player to a Max contract?

I already gave the nod to Randle over Batum in a striictly basketball evàluation, so don't act like I ignored it

I skimmed back through this thread looking for your expectations on compensation on a Randle - Batum trade.

What àre you expecting?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#57 » by Slava » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:29 pm

Randle to Charlotte makes too much sense, Kupchak drafted him in LA and they need a big. Randle would like a starter with playmaking from Hayward and Ball.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#58 » by Diop » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:39 pm

Slava wrote:Randle to Charlotte makes too much sense, Kupchak drafted him in LA and they need a big. Randle would like a starter with playmaking from Hayward and Ball.

no thanks, we'd rather stick with Washington at Pf and keep developing him. I don't really want Randle around our young bigs.

Randle shouldn't be in our plans.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#59 » by gswhoops » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:22 pm

FutureKnicksGM wrote:
Resistance wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:

Value for Batum?

I don't think anyone's arguing that Randle isn't more useful than Batum strictly on the court, but that's a bar so low an ant could trip on it. But it's not like Randle is some stud either. He is who he's always been - a guy whose counting stats look nice because he eats up a lot of minutes and possessions, but ultimately not a guy who contributes to winning basketball in a big role. Maybe he could be Trez-lite if he took a bench role and focused on taking on second units, but even in that case he's making more in one year than the actual Trez is in two.

Batum at 1 year/$27M and off the books completely by 2021 vs. Randle at 1 year/$23M with $4M on the books for 2021 isn't some vast chasm of value difference. If you prefer Randle, I understand that. But it's not ridiculous to think a second or two might close the gap for a rebuilding team that just drafted an offense-minded PF 8th overall.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#60 » by PharmD » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Prospect Dong wrote:I actually think the Grizzlies could be a fit, but I'm really unsure about the value. JJJ is a rare big who can cover for a nonshooting non-rim-protector, but he's never going to be an elite volume scorer, or even an adequate rebounder, it looks like. So he and Randle cover for each others' weaknesses quite well, at least in theory.

Randle can play some small-ball 5, right?

Dieng's expiring for Randle straight up works fine. That gets NY off the second year of Randle's deal, and gets them a very good backup 5 who can shoot a bit from the outside. But I'm entirely unsure whether Memphis should be devoting $18m of next year's cap space to a positional dinosaur and/or how to compensate for the extra year...

I'm pretty sure Gorgui hates Thibs tho

Return to Trades and Transactions