Official: Shams/Woj/Shelbourne: It's Brooklyn for the Beard

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Harden deal DONE - your take? (You can select multiple options)

Harden My Heart - Nets win. You get a chance at a transformative player, you take it. Any real damage is years off, if ever, and in the meantime you are a legit contender.
22%
Home Dipo - Rockets win. The love affair was over, and in exchange they got a *good* win-now player in Oladipo (albeit expiring), plus 4 picks and 4 swaps. That's a plenty good salvage under the circumstances.
15%
Allen Key - Cavaliers win. They picked up their C of the future for taking one extra year of Taurean Prince and giving up a lame pick.
35%
LeVerting to the Mean - Pacers win. Oladipo is talented, but they got a good younger (and *cheaper*) player to keep growing with their core.
22%
Driving a Harden Bargain - Nobody wins. Harden won't help the Nets win anything, both Houston and Cleveland screwed up by giving up value for players they will still have to sign, and a rising Pacers team just got worse.
6%

Total votes: 128

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Re: Official: Shams/Woj/Shelbourne: It's Brooklyn for the Beard 

Post#221 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:I didn't mind the oladipo and Levert swap even though others hated it but I feel even better about it now

I always liked it more for Houston than Indy. I don't really get the LeVert hype at all. So them getting cash and another pick helps, but some sort of physical concern isn't great though it must not be serious for them to move forward.

Guess the Dipo situation was worse in Indy than I thought.

Yeah. I don’t know. We’ve historically had a tight medical staff in terms of clearing people. Heck, Brogdon and Levert failed their draft physicals with Indy and were pulled off our draft boards for it. So, clearly, we’re more willing to take risks. Judging by the fact that Brooklyn gave up the 2nd they were receiving and cash they had, I’d bet it was more that Brooklyn didn’t disclose something to Indy in terms of his medicals more than him failing the physical. I doubt we’d be willing to eat a terrible physical and risk 2 more years and $36m in salary for something that was high risk.

Even in the post-mortem “hit pieces” of “I knew these things but didn’t report them earlier when it mattered”, every report was that Oladipo put the work in and was getting along well with his teammates. But, I would imagine that this is more a recognition that unlike past management, Pritchard will now not risk losing assets. Which is weird; letting Bojan walk allowed us to bring in Brogdon. I wonder if this means anything in regard to TJ Warren as he enters his last year of his contract next season. He’s also in that tough range where an extension doesn’t really make sense as it’s limited to 20% over his $12.7m salary. Will we risk losing guys in unrestricted free agency?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#222 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:I didn't mind the oladipo and Levert swap even though others hated it but I feel even better about it now

I always liked it more for Houston than Indy. I don't really get the LeVert hype at all. So them getting cash and another pick helps, but some sort of physical concern isn't great though it must not be serious for them to move forward.

Yeah. I don’t know. We’ve historically had a tight medical staff in terms of clearing people. Heck, Brogdon and Levert failed their draft physicals with Indy and were pulled off our draft boards for it. So, clearly, we’re more willing to take risks. Judging by the fact that Brooklyn gave up the 2nd they were receiving and cash they had, I’d bet it was more that Brooklyn didn’t disclose something to Indy in terms of his medicals more than him failing the physical. I doubt we’d be willing to eat a terrible physical and risk 2 more years and $36m in salary for something that was high risk.

Even in the post-mortem “hit pieces” of “I knew these things but didn’t report them earlier when it mattered”, every report was that Oladipo put the work in and was getting along well with his teammates. But, I would imagine that this is more a recognition that unlike past management, Pritchard will now not risk losing assets. Which is weird; letting Bojan walk allowed us to bring in Brogdon. I wonder if this means anything in regard to TJ Warren as he enters his last year of his contract next season. He’s also in that tough range where an extension doesn’t really make sense as it’s limited to 20% over his $12.7m salary. Will we risk losing guys in unrestricted free agency?

I think it's partially this and partially that Pritchard didn't want to waste time with a key core player who wasn't likely to be there past this year. We weren't winning the title with Vic and he was ready to walk, so might as well just rip the bandaid off early with the new coaching staff and playstyle. Whether LeVert was the right option will remain to be seen. Also seems it was something that came together fast and a call had to be made real quick. It may signal how we plan to handle Warren, but I wouldn't be so sure.

Regarding the risk taking, we clearly have been more willing lately and still have basically our top 6 guys as injury risks to some degree (if you count Lamb as number 6), as well as a couple of young guys in Goga and Sumner who have routinely been banged up. We were already taking that risk with Vic as well, so nothing new really other than LeVert being injured more recently.

At the end of the day it was a bit of a disappointing trade for Indy. But we still got a potential core player locked up, though of course he comes with risks. We also got a few 2nds, cash, and breathing room under the tax. I'm also much more convinced now we can re-sign Doug next summer. It ultimately checked a lot of small boxes.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#223 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:37 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I think it's partially this and partially that Pritchard didn't want to waste time with a key core player who wasn't likely to be there past this year. We weren't winning the title with Vic and he was ready to walk, so might as well just rip the bandaid off early with the new coaching staff and playstyle. Whether LeVert was the right option will remain to be seen. Also seems it was something that came together fast and a call had to be made real quick. It may signal how we plan to handle Warren, but I wouldn't be so sure.

Regarding the risk taking, we clearly have been more willing lately and still have basically our top 6 guys as injury risks to some degree (if you count Lamb as number 6), as well as a couple of young guys in Goga and Sumner who have routinely been banged up. We were already taking that risk with Vic as well, so nothing new really other than LeVert being injured more recently.

At the end of the day it was a bit of a disappointing trade for Indy. But we still got a potential core player locked up, though of course he comes with risks. We also got a few 2nds, cash, and breathing room under the tax. I'm also much more convinced now we can re-sign Doug next summer. It ultimately checked a lot of small boxes.

Really, we’re doing the league a huge favor. We’re giving Levert the role that will tell everyone in 2 years time what kind of player he really is :lol:

:sigh:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#224 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Yikes
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#225 » by K_chile22 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 pm

Doesn't sound great
Read on Twitter
?s=19
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#226 » by stormi » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:59 pm

How does the physical process work. Do team medics reveal all of the preexisting conditions and it's up to the team to go on with it or pull out?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:03 pm

stormi wrote:How does the physical process work. Do team medics reveal all of the preexisting conditions and it's up to the team to go on with it or pull out?

Generally, teams will share pertinent medical files with a prospective acquiring team before a deal is finalized. The physical happens after the trade is called into the league, and teams have 48 hours to perform physicals and possibly void a deal with the league based on the physical. The acquiring team has the right to perform a physical themselves, or with an agreed upon other doctor/location. Based on the physical, a team can generally back out or follow through. Teams can continue negotiating in order to get a team to follow through, but generally it’s accepted that additional negotiations only happen if there is a materially different observation from the physical.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,896

Post#228 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Yikes

As far as I'm concerned if I was GM I'd nullify this trade send LeVert back to Houston and take Vic back.

Return to Trades and Transactions