Official: Shams/Woj/Shelbourne: It's Brooklyn for the Beard

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Harden deal DONE - your take? (You can select multiple options)

Harden My Heart - Nets win. You get a chance at a transformative player, you take it. Any real damage is years off, if ever, and in the meantime you are a legit contender.
22%
Home Dipo - Rockets win. The love affair was over, and in exchange they got a *good* win-now player in Oladipo (albeit expiring), plus 4 picks and 4 swaps. That's a plenty good salvage under the circumstances.
15%
Allen Key - Cavaliers win. They picked up their C of the future for taking one extra year of Taurean Prince and giving up a lame pick.
35%
LeVerting to the Mean - Pacers win. Oladipo is talented, but they got a good younger (and *cheaper*) player to keep growing with their core.
22%
Driving a Harden Bargain - Nobody wins. Harden won't help the Nets win anything, both Houston and Cleveland screwed up by giving up value for players they will still have to sign, and a rising Pacers team just got worse.
6%

Total votes: 128

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Official: Shams/Woj/Shelbourne: It's Brooklyn for the Beard 

Post#61 » by Pinkyring » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:I don't understand why people calling Cleveland winners, they gave up a first and took a bad contract for a garbage man center they're going to have to overpay this summer

It's a contract they can easily afford to absorb and a pick from a team with Giannis on it. Also you apparently have not been watching Allen.

I've seen plenty of him, he's a decent big that has an extinct game, he doesn't move the needle and isn't worth the 15m it's probably going to cost
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Post#62 » by Wolveswin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Is it just me, or does anyone else want to see OKC or Pelicans swoop in and trade Rockets something for all that draft capital?

In near future we are going to see OKC and Pelicans draft well over 50% of the draftees.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Official: Shams -- Dipo to Houston 

Post#63 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm

FNQ wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
FNQ wrote:
I love it for them because they no longer have to make one of the tougher offseason calls. If you keep Dipo, you pretty much have to give him a mondo contract, and I'm not so sure you want to do that. The injury history and the questionable ranged jumper make it tough to see him making his next contract worth it.

Levert you get for 2 more years, at presumably about 60% of the price, and I'd feel more comfortable from a consistency standpoint with him. He's not the #1 Dipo could be, but I'd rather have a solid 2/3 I can count on than a 1 I feel suspect about.

The ranged jumper was one of the things to feel the best about Oladipo! :lol: The defense too, as we had basically put him as primary defender on the priority wings.

Defense is fine (though again, I'm not convinced of his health long-term but w/e).. its his ranged shooting. Is he a 31% from 3? 34? 37? He's had one star year where's been able to stay healthy and play well.. and he's expiring, waiting for a big contract. To trade a very solid 2nd/3rd option in Levert, who's under contract for the next 2 years.. I think Indy did extremely well. Rockets did great until they involved Pacers/Cavs

His absolute career worst was mid-injury at 32% (well, 31.7%). He's shooting over 36% this year on the highest volume of his career, and he's a career 35% shooter from 3. I think we can assume he's not a 31% shooter as he never has been. :dontknow:

Getting a 2nd/3rd option is well and good, except, do we start the immediate trade forum push for the Pacers to combine any of their 4 2nd/3rd options for a primary option? Between Brogdon, Sabonis, Levert, and Warren, who's a primary option? Brogdon and Sabonis aren't quite yet.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#64 » by vege » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm

I think the deal was awful for Houston, but we'll have to wait and see. Allen should be worth more than the Milwaukee pick imo.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#65 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:50 pm

Nope--Chuck
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#66 » by Pinkyring » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:I don't understand why people calling Cleveland winners, they gave up a first and took a bad contract for a garbage man center they're going to have to overpay this summer

Allen has got better every year he has been in the NBA. If you think he's a garbage man center then that's probably where your assessment misaligns with others.

Better how? His production has been the same basically the last 3 seasons only difference is his efficiency has increased because obviously he gets to play with elite offensive players
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#67 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:52 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
The ranged jumper was one of the things to feel the best about Oladipo! :lol: The defense too, as we had basically put him as primary defender on the priority wings.

Defense is fine (though again, I'm not convinced of his health long-term but w/e).. its his ranged shooting. Is he a 31% from 3? 34? 37? He's had one star year where's been able to stay healthy and play well.. and he's expiring, waiting for a big contract. To trade a very solid 2nd/3rd option in Levert, who's under contract for the next 2 years.. I think Indy did extremely well. Rockets did great until they involved Pacers/Cavs

His absolute career worst was mid-injury at 32% (well, 31.7%). He's shooting over 36% this year on the highest volume of his career, and he's a career 35% shooter from 3. I think we can assume he's not a 31% shooter as he never has been. :dontknow:

Getting a 2nd/3rd option is well and good, except, do we start the immediate trade forum push for the Pacers to combine any of their 4 2nd/3rd options for a primary option? Between Brogdon, Sabonis, Levert, and Warren, who's a primary option? Brogdon and Sabonis aren't quite yet.

If he's a 35% shooter, would you want to give him his next contract? I sure wouldn't.. even at his peak, that's not a great shooter. If he gets an AAV of 30m, which I think is pretty likely, I think that team will regret it.

Re:Pacers - have a few years to figure it out. And teams have done it without a defacto #1 if they're deep enough, like the old school Pistons.. Pacers ooze talent and depth. I love the spot they're in.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#68 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:54 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Allen has got better every year he has been in the NBA. If you think he's a garbage man center then that's probably where your assessment misaligns with others.

Better how? His production has been the same basically the last 3 seasons only difference is his efficiency has increased because obviously he gets to play with elite offensive players

I mean I checked BBREF 5 minutes ago and that's enough to know a player's improvement!

Allen doesnt care about your fantasy team. He's a good player. An ideal fit for any teams that are perimeter based as well, as most teams are these days
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#69 » by zimpy27 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

You're saying that a garbage man will get better numbers with fewer opportunities to be a garbage man. If he were a garbage man then wouldn't his numbers get worse with better offensive players?

He has got better offensively and defensively.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,126

Post#70 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Overall it's pretty good for Houston but I hate the Levert/Oladipo trade (If this is the reason why they passed on Allen so they could pay Oladipo, it's even worse)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#71 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:58 pm

FNQ wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
FNQ wrote:

If he's a 35% shooter, would you want to give him his next contract? I sure wouldn't.. even at his peak, that's not a great shooter. If he gets an AAV of 30m, which I think is pretty likely, I think that team will regret it.

Re:Pacers - have a few years to figure it out. And teams have done it without a defacto #1 if they're deep enough, like the old school Pistons.. Pacers ooze talent and depth. I love the spot they're in.

I’d possibly be willing to at 35%. It’s super high volume and there’s premiere wing defense that comes along with it. If he were a 31% shooter, well, that’s something entirely different. He never had been, and we can agree he likely never will be a 31% shooter from 3. He was playing pretty well this year, too overall, so it wouldn’t have been hard to pay him. The bounce and explosion were really coming back.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#72 » by Pinkyring » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

You're saying that a garbage man will get better numbers with fewer opportunities to be a garbage man. If he were a garbage man then wouldn't his numbers get worse with better offensive players?

He has got better offensively and defensively.

No im saying its obvious to anyone that a big whose offense is solely dependent on the players around him will be more efficient with greater players around him, that's just common sense
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#73 » by Pinkyring » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 pm

FNQ wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

I mean I checked BBREF 5 minutes ago and that's enough to know a player's improvement!

Allen doesnt care about your fantasy team. He's a good player. An ideal fit for any teams that are perimeter based as well, as most teams are these days

I don't play fantasy basketball, nice try sport
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#74 » by K_chile22 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 pm

I don't think people are factoring in Prince as bad salary here, but he is
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#75 » by reload141 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

Correct.

Allen is a massive steal by the Cavs and I imagine they will be shopping Drummond or Nance at the deadline. Probably Drummond
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#76 » by nolang1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:02 pm

vege wrote:I think the deal was awful for Houston, but we'll have to wait and see. Allen should be worth more than the Milwaukee pick imo.

I said this about the Bucks' Holiday trade as well, but even when you set aside that 4 #28 picks or whatever is enough to move you well into the lottery, predicting 4+ years into the future is much harder than people think. If you're listing the teams that have spent 5+ straight years at or near the top of the standings, it's the Duncan Spurs and then you'd probably have to go back to the 80s Lakers/Celtics.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#77 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 pm

K_chile22 wrote:I don't think people are factoring in Prince as bad salary here, but he is

I think the salary dump is the main reason Houston did that part of the deal. Would they have been under the tax if they hadn't done the Cleveland dump? I know it is close
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#78 » by K_chile22 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:I don't think people are factoring in Prince as bad salary here, but he is

I think the salary dump is the main reason Houston did that part of the deal. Would they have been under the tax if they hadn't done the Cleveland dump? I know it is close

they could've just traded tuck. They did that to clear future money and probably didn't really want Wood and Allen, would rather have the first
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#79 » by loserX » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:07 pm

Stupid poll added! Due to the complex nature of the deal you can select more than one option.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#80 » by BullyKing » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 pm

Quick thoughts that no one asked for:

1. I like the move for Cleveland. Allen is young, useful and came cheap.
2. I'm meh on it for Indiana. I guess it depends on if Dipo really told them he was not going to resign.
3. Eh for Houston. Those future picks have a lot of potential but I'd feel better if I got at least one known asset more than an expiring Dipo.
4. I understand Brooklyn making the move but it does seem like they've really boxed themselves into a corner. They're going to face resigning Kyrie, Durant and Harden to $50 a year deals through their mid to late 30s or let them walk having traded their future picks. If that win a championship in the next two years, it's all justified I think but this Kyrie situation is always a big issue.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.

Return to Trades and Transactions