Oladipo to Miami

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Re: Oladipo to Miami 

Post#21 » by Boneman2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:06 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
sonictecture wrote:Why is the value of Oladipo so low in the eyes of Miami fans?

He has injury concerns and spacing concerns. He and Butler don't make for the best floor spacers. We can survive with one of them, but I question the logic in having two guys whose strength is not shooting on the perimeter in the NBA in 2021.

The notion that you can sign him into space seems not only risky, but a waste of this season.

There are other players, undoubtedly, who will become available. For some of them, I would give up real value. Dipo doesn't move the needle that much for me. When you factor that in, along with the injury concerns, I don't see why we should care about Dipo, specifically...

I agree with you. To me it seems he'd stunt the growth of several young Heat players, specifically the guards.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
He has injury concerns and spacing concerns. He and Butler don't make for the best floor spacers. We can survive with one of them, but I question the logic in having two guys whose strength is not shooting on the perimeter in the NBA in 2021.

Oladipo is realistically a 36% shooter from 3 on huge volume. He’s fine there. He shot poorly when his quad was weak and in the midst of tearing. This year his shot is pretty consistent and reliable.

We don't care about "fine". "Fine" isn't what we do. He's bumping a guy from the starting lineup that happens to be one of the best shooters on the planet.

Who’s he bumping from the lineup? You’re giving up Nunn and Iggy in theory, maybe an Okpala. You’re still keeping Herro and Robinson, and you’ve got Dragic still in whatever role you want him in. Is he bumping Dragic? And, when it matters, why couldn’t you play all kinds of strong lineups and adapt on a nightly basis amongst Dragic, Herro, Oladipo, Butler, Robinson, and Bam?

I firmly believe that Herro is the long-term priority over Oladipo, and the need for an Oladipo isn’t massively huge. But if you’re getting him for an expiring, and Nunn/Okpala/2nds, it’s an automatic yes. And you definitely would be able to keep him long-term. But, it’s not like Oladipo is such a terrible shooter that you absolutely cannot use him. At his volume, he’s an overall positive shooter.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,181

Post#23 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:12 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Oladipo is realistically a 36% shooter from 3 on huge volume. He’s fine there. He shot poorly when his quad was weak and in the midst of tearing. This year his shot is pretty consistent and reliable.

We don't care about "fine". "Fine" isn't what we do. He's bumping a guy from the starting lineup that happens to be one of the best shooters on the planet.

Who’s he bumping from the lineup? You’re giving up Nunn and Iggy in theory, maybe an Okpala. You’re still keeping Herro and Robinson, and you’ve got Dragic still in whatever role you want him in. Is he bumping Dragic? And, when it matters, why couldn’t you play all kinds of strong lineups and adapt on a nightly basis amongst Dragic, Herro, Oladipo, Butler, Robinson, and Bam?

I firmly believe that Herro is the long-term priority over Oladipo, and the need for an Oladipo isn’t massively huge. But if you’re getting him for an expiring, and Nunn/Okpala/2nds, it’s an automatic yes. And you definitely would be able to keep him long-term. But, it’s not like Oladipo is such a terrible shooter that you absolutely cannot use him. At his volume, he’s an overall positive shooter.

I'm really perplexed at the idea that you can't see where I'm going, here.

We have to replace a player in the starting lineup who had one of the greatest shooting seasons ever, with a guy who is just "Fine." You don't see the problem there? I don't look at Oladipo and think he's worth it, especially while we start Kelly Olynyk at power forward. Our perimeter doesn't need an upgrade, our frontcourt does.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#24 » by sonictecture » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:22 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I always hate the "we can just sign him for free" angle, but it seems more appropriate here than almost anywhere else. Odds are Vic won't have a ton of suitors in free agency and Miami appears to be at the top of the list in any event. If someone offers him way more money and he signs elsewhere, he probably would have done so if they had traded for him too. And it's not like he'd change their fortunes this year.

No reason for Houston to accept it, but I think the OP's deal is about what Miami would be offering.

Yeah I think it's more likely he ends up on a desperate team for a playoff run like Denver

Why isn’t Miami that desperate team?
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:25 pm

sonictecture wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I always hate the "we can just sign him for free" angle, but it seems more appropriate here than almost anywhere else. Odds are Vic won't have a ton of suitors in free agency and Miami appears to be at the top of the list in any event. If someone offers him way more money and he signs elsewhere, he probably would have done so if they had traded for him too. And it's not like he'd change their fortunes this year.

No reason for Houston to accept it, but I think the OP's deal is about what Miami would be offering.

Yeah I think it's more likely he ends up on a desperate team for a playoff run like Denver

Because we were in the Finals last year...
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,415

Post#26 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:40 pm

I’d be fine with a 2025 first depending on the protections, Precious is cool but a 1st is too. I can’t imagine Miami moving Precious for just Oladipo either, maybe if they really like Oladipo and Tucker and prefer to keep their pick that’s when Precious could be an option.

How about

Oladipo, Tucker for Iggy, Olynyk, Nunn Miami 2025 1st and 2022 swap option, both top 10 protected
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:51 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:I’d be fine with a 2025 first depending on the protections, Precious is cool but a 1st is too. I can’t imagine Miami moving Precious for just Oladipo either, maybe if they really like Oladipo and Tucker and prefer to keep their pick that’s when Precious could be an option.

How about

Oladipo, Tucker for Iggy, Olynyk, Nunn Miami 2025 1st and 2022 swap option, both top 10 protected
I'd do that. Thanks for being reasonable. Still not in love with the player, but it's good value...
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,415

Post#28 » by ThatBoyNick » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:12 am

BBallFreak wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:I’d be fine with a 2025 first depending on the protections, Precious is cool but a 1st is too. I can’t imagine Miami moving Precious for just Oladipo either, maybe if they really like Oladipo and Tucker and prefer to keep their pick that’s when Precious could be an option.

How about

I'd do that. Thanks for being reasonable. Still not in love with the player, but it's good value...

I’m always reasonable :wink:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#29 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:24 am

BBallFreak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:We don't care about "fine". "Fine" isn't what we do. He's bumping a guy from the starting lineup that happens to be one of the best shooters on the planet.

We have to replace a player in the starting lineup who had one of the greatest shooting seasons ever, with a guy who is just "Fine." You don't see the problem there? I don't look at Oladipo and think he's worth it, especially while we start Kelly Olynyk at power forward. Our perimeter doesn't need an upgrade, our frontcourt does.

Who are you replacing? Dragic? Why would you replace Robinson in the lineup? Why couldn’t you play Robinson at power forward? That would be an upgrade if shooting is your sole priority. With Herro, Oladipo, and Butler, you have Uber flexibility to switch between 1 thru 3. Play some situations with Robinson at the 4, or shift everyone up when Robinson is resting and play Butler as your 4 with Dragic in at 1.

I’m just confused because you seem focused on Oladipo replacing Robinson, when he’d really be replacing Iggy.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#30 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:39 am

sonictecture wrote:Why is the value of Oladipo so low in the eyes of Miami fans?

The notion that you can sign him into space seems not only risky, but a waste of this season.

Because of the "why pay for something when you can get it for free" mindset

Miami fans feel confident that they can just sign Oladipo if they want to

They forget that things may not always work out as expected

I also feel it's a bit penny wise but pound foolish that they are willing to wait till next season to get Oladipo just because they aren't willing to give up value

Dragic was a big part of their postseason run last season and he is on his last legs. Butler isn't getting any younger as well

They really should be cashing in to maximize their chances of winning now
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#31 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:43 am

BBallFreak wrote:
sonictecture wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Yeah I think it's more likely he ends up on a desperate team for a playoff run like Denver

Dragic was a huge reason of that

How many more years do you think he can replicate his heroic playoff run last season?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#32 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 am

Topofthekey wrote:[
Because of the "why pay for something when you can get it for free" mindset

Miami fans feel confident that they can just sign Oladipo if they want to

They forget that things may not always work out as expected

I love Vic and think he should have more value than what we got and what has been proposed today. But I don't think Miami will be losing any sleep if he signs elsewhere in the offseason. The interest seems to be mostly from Vic and frankly he's not a superstar. I'm not sold that they'd have enough to win it all if they got him for free.

They also should really be focusing on a forward or a big over a guard. Olynyk is still their second big and that just won't cut it.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by BBallFreak » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 am

Topofthekey wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
sonictecture wrote:Why isn’t Miami that desperate team?

Dragic was a huge reason of that

How many more years do you think he can replicate his heroic playoff run last season?
That's a terrible argument to make a bad trade. Not happening.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by BBallFreak » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:08 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Who are you replacing? Dragic? Why would you replace Robinson in the lineup? Why couldn’t you play Robinson at power forward? That would be an upgrade if shooting is your sole priority. With Herro, Oladipo, and Butler, you have Uber flexibility to switch between 1 thru 3. Play some situations with Robinson at the 4, or shift everyone up when Robinson is resting and play Butler as your 4 with Dragic in at 1.

I’m just confused because you seem focused on Oladipo replacing Robinson, when he’d really be replacing Iggy.
Iggy doesn't play regularly. And Robinson at power forward is a terrible idea. Just awful. Just because I'm not in love with Dipo doesn't mean I'm stupid. Please don't insult my intelligence. Dipo would either take minutes from Robinson or Herro, and I prefer he take minutes from neither, especially when we have a gaping hole at power forward. And again, Robinson cannot fill that spot...
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by sonictecture » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:18 am

BBallFreak wrote:
sonictecture wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Yeah I think it's more likely he ends up on a desperate team for a playoff run like Denver

This is the precise reason they should be desperate.
ThaFranchize84
Junior
And1: 156

Oladipo to Miami 

Post#36 » by ThaFranchize84 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 am

BBallFreak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:I'm really perplexed at the idea that you can't see where I'm going, here.

Iggy doesn't play regularly. And Robinson at power forward is a terrible idea. Just awful. Just because I'm not in love with Dipo doesn't mean I'm stupid. Please don't insult my intelligence. Dipo would either take minutes from Robinson or Herro, and I prefer he take minutes from neither, especially when we have a gaping hole at power forward. And again, Robinson cannot fill that spot...

We don’t usually play a lineup based on traditional positions anyways but if you need to project one after possibly getting Dipo and Tucker I think you say Herro, Dipo, Robinson, Butler and Bam. We suck already at rebounding so there probably won’t be any drop off there. That team can switch on D and Dipo can cover up some perimeter D weakness with Herro and Robinson in the lineup. Then you come off the bench with Dragic, Bradley, Tucker, Olynk and Precious. That team would be really deep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by BBallFreak » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 am

sonictecture wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
sonictecture wrote:Why isn’t Miami that desperate team?

And yet, nope!
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by sonictecture » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:03 am

BBallFreak wrote:
sonictecture wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Because we were in the Finals last year...

And yet, nope!

Your answer is no about 99% of the time. Tick tock.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by BBallFreak » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:11 am

sonictecture wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
sonictecture wrote:This is the precise reason they should be desperate.

And yet, nope!

Ad yet, my team has won championships more than most, so yet again, not desperate. Tick nope...
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by sonictecture » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:00 am

BBallFreak wrote:
sonictecture wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:And yet, nope!

Ad yet, my team has won championships more than most, so yet again, not desperate. Tick nope...

My team doesn’t even exist anymore, but like your situation, that has nothing to do with me.

Return to Trades and Transactions