MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets)

Moderators: Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, Trader_Joe, BullyKing, loserX, Texas Chuck, pacers33granger, HartfordWhalers

slos
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,582
And1: 564
Joined: May 20, 2018
 

MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#1 » by slos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:46 am

Milwaukee in Oladipo, House, Cousins, 2022 FRP
Milwaukee out Lopez, Augustin, Connaughton, Wilson, 2021/2023 FRPs + 2022 swap, 2025 IND SRP

Houston in Zeller, Biyombo, Wilson, MIL 2021/2023 FRPs + rights to swap their own or BKN 2022 FRP with MIL, 2025 IND SRP
Houston out Oladipo, Cousins, House, 2022 MIL FRP

Charlotte in Lopez, Augustin, Connaughton
Charlotte out Zeller, Biyombo

Why Bucks? They go all in with Dipo and clear 25 mil in 2021-22 to resign him. If it doesn't work or some other team decides to max him, they will still have some flexibility back to try something different around their Jrue/Midds/Giannis Big 3. Bucks slide Portis in the starting lineup, keep DDV/Forbes to run the 2nd unit and add House/Cousins to fix their depth. This also keeps Milwaukee out of the tax this year since they will be at 132 mil with 13 contracts, which leaves them enough money to finish their roster with another buyout vet.

Holiday......DiVincenzo...Adams (2-way)
Oladipo......Forbes........Merrill
Middleton...Craig..........Nwora
Giannis......House.........Thanasis
Portis........Cousins........Diakite (2-way)

Why Hornets? They get a starting C without losing assets but at the cost of taking some long term money back. Lopez is an upgrade over Zeller who just can't stay healthy, Augustin can also help them taking into account that they are starting all their 3 PGs at the moment, Connaughton is also an OK backup wing. This doesn't hurt any FA plans in 2021 since Hornets will be an over the cap team with Graham's and Monk's new contracts either way.

Ball...........Graham.....Augustin
Rozier.........Monk........Connaughton
Hayward.....Bridges......Martin
Washington..McDaniels...Martin
Lopez.........Carey........Richards

Why Rockets? They cash in Dipo with expirings (+ some savings), an extra 1st from Milwaukee and another swap. Bucks 2021 FRP is now at #22 which feels better than their 2022 FRP that is currently owned by Houston. If that 2022 FRP ends up being good too Houston can still have it with the swap with BKN 2022 FRP which is likely to end up in the 28-30 area. On top of that Houston gets MIL 2023 FRP and an extra future 2nd from Indy.

Note: Bucks are left with their own 2023/2024 SRPs to use if needed. Feel free to add them!
MoneyTalks41890
RealGM
Posts: 19,321
And1: 9,757
Joined: Oct 13, 2009
 

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:55 am

It’s well thought out. I like it. Might be a little short for Houston, but I think not too far off.
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 38,907
And1: 8,200
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#3 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 am

send DJ and Connaughton elsewhere. That's an extra $12M in players we don't need for the next 2.5 years.

Zeller/Lopez feels fair, not 100% I'd do it due to Lopez's age and how slow he is, but 3 years of $24M/yr for Lopez/DJ/Pat is probably negative enough for me to pass.
GoBobs
Veteran
Posts: 2,839
And1: 736
Joined: Jul 13, 2009

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#4 » by GoBobs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 am

Rather have cousins than slowpez

Do the bucks have any picks they can trade? Think they spent them all already.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 30,954
And1: 5,272
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 am

Before the season and before the Jrue deal, Milwaukee engaged Indy on a deal for Oladipo that involved George Hill, Divincenzo, and the #24 draft pick. Obviously, Oladipo’s value has dropped since then, and the need for Milwaukee to make a huge move has dropped, too. But here, Milwaukee is also dumping a good amount ($12+m) in lesser wanted salaries in Augustin and Connaughton, keeping Divincenzo, and also getting back a defending wing in House. Seems like Milwaukee would have to give up Divincenzo here to get all that done. More than likely, though, one of those two gets turned into DJ Wilson’s expiring instead, and somehow Milwaukee gives up a tad more value here if they even can, though value that wouldn’t require Divincenzo in this case.
ThatBoyNick
Analyst
Posts: 3,157
And1: 2,408
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
 

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#6 » by ThatBoyNick » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:49 am

Can't see Char being interested in taking all that salary with no incentive.
User avatar
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 32,615
And1: 13,540
Joined: Jul 24, 2004
Location: House of Diop
 

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#7 » by Diop » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:59 am

One of Charlottes issues is rebounds. Does Lopez help that?
Image
spankymoore7
Senior
Posts: 586
And1: 135
Joined: Apr 23, 2010

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#8 » by spankymoore7 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:07 am

I don't think Charlotte wants to take on that much salary. Also, the last thing we need is another guard
slos
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,582
And1: 564
Joined: May 20, 2018
 

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#9 » by slos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:09 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:send DJ and Connaughton elsewhere. That's an extra $12M in players we don't need for the next 2.5 years.

Zeller/Lopez feels fair, not 100% I'd do it due to Lopez's age and how slow he is, but 3 years of $24M/yr for Lopez/DJ/Pat is probably negative enough for me to pass.


I have turning Zeller to Lopez cost two good SRPs. A straight swap is not fair at all. In this case Hornets save the pick(s) and address their need by taking back two contracts they won’t need, but won’t harm them either this year. If DJ and/or Pat become a problem in their 2021-22 payroll they can easily move them next year with a year less in their deals pr just use their salaries for some other trade. FWIW Augustin has a NG third year.
User avatar
RiotPunch
RealGM
Posts: 18,851
And1: 6,945
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: LA
     

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#10 » by RiotPunch » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 am

Diop wrote:One of Charlottes issues is rebounds. Does Lopez help that?

Yes. As discussed in the Lopez thread he has a positive impact on team rebounding. He is great at eating space and boxing out. More rebounds for PJ/Bridges/Hayward/LaMelo. Not to mention the quality rim protection and spacing ability.
#FreeChuckDiesel
slos
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,582
And1: 564
Joined: May 20, 2018
 

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#11 » by slos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:30 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Before the season and before the Jrue deal, Milwaukee engaged Indy on a deal for Oladipo that involved George Hill, Divincenzo, and the #24 draft pick. Obviously, Oladipo’s value has dropped since then, and the need for Milwaukee to make a huge move has dropped, too. But here, Milwaukee is also dumping a good amount ($12+m) in lesser wanted salaries in Augustin and Connaughton, keeping Divincenzo, and also getting back a defending wing in House. Seems like Milwaukee would have to give up Divincenzo here to get all that done. More than likely, though, one of those two gets turned into DJ Wilson’s expiring instead, and somehow Milwaukee gives up a tad more value here if they even can, though value that wouldn’t require Divincenzo in this case.


I think this is close to expiring + #24 + DDV offer to Indy for Dipo. Obviously no Donte here, but the swap with BKN should be a “trade up” in 2022 and a free look at Wilson won’t harm Houston. I believe this is the discount Milwaukee gets for Dipo’s dropping value. He is closer to FA, he hasn’t been good this season and there is no chance to stay in Houston. I mean Indy could ride it out until FA, Rockets have to deal him now.

The other part of this trade is new. BroLo still holds value to clear DJ and Pat, which is what Hornets take advantage since Milwaukee doesn’t have expirings at the moment to use for Dipp.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 30,954
And1: 5,272
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 pm

slos wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Before the season and before the Jrue deal, Milwaukee engaged Indy on a deal for Oladipo that involved George Hill, Divincenzo, and the #24 draft pick. Obviously, Oladipo’s value has dropped since then, and the need for Milwaukee to make a huge move has dropped, too. But here, Milwaukee is also dumping a good amount ($12+m) in lesser wanted salaries in Augustin and Connaughton, keeping Divincenzo, and also getting back a defending wing in House. Seems like Milwaukee would have to give up Divincenzo here to get all that done. More than likely, though, one of those two gets turned into DJ Wilson’s expiring instead, and somehow Milwaukee gives up a tad more value here if they even can, though value that wouldn’t require Divincenzo in this case.


I think this is close to expiring + #24 + DDV offer to Indy for Dipo. Obviously no Donte here, but the swap with BKN should be a “trade up” in 2022 and a free look at Wilson won’t harm Houston. I believe this is the discount Milwaukee gets for Dipo’s dropping value. He is closer to FA, he hasn’t been good this season and there is no chance to stay in Houston. I mean Indy could ride it out until FA, Rockets have to deal him now.

The other part of this trade is new. BroLo still holds value to clear DJ and Pat, which is what Hornets take advantage since Milwaukee doesn’t have expirings at the moment to use for Dipp.


You think so low of DDV that you’d value him as a pick swap in 2022 (where I’d still assume that Milwaukee will be formidable with Giannis/Middleton, and maybe Oladipo/Jrue, too, and a 2nd rounder? Call it in, DDV is a Pacer now, at that price. :wink: That swap with Brooklyn may end up being a trade up, but I wouldn’t assume it’d be up by much, as Milwaukee projects to still be really good, too.


I also think you’re overvaluing your $12+m in players you’re dumping here, too. Obviously, you’re wanting to dump them. I’m not sure why you think that Charlotte would then value them (Charlotte has at least Ball, Graham, and Rozier as PG type players, so Augustin is firmly buried on the bench, and they’ve already had Augustin before and moved on), and/or be able to move them for free in the offseason?

Sure, Oladipo’s value has dropped a bit, but you’d still possibly be competing with other teams wanting to get him for cheap, but, I think you’re either overestimating the value of the guys you’re dumping (Pat and DJ), or over valuing Brook in this type of deal.
slos
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,582
And1: 564
Joined: May 20, 2018
 

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#13 » by slos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
slos wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Before the season and before the Jrue deal, Milwaukee engaged Indy on a deal for Oladipo that involved George Hill, Divincenzo, and the #24 draft pick. Obviously, Oladipo’s value has dropped since then, and the need for Milwaukee to make a huge move has dropped, too. But here, Milwaukee is also dumping a good amount ($12+m) in lesser wanted salaries in Augustin and Connaughton, keeping Divincenzo, and also getting back a defending wing in House. Seems like Milwaukee would have to give up Divincenzo here to get all that done. More than likely, though, one of those two gets turned into DJ Wilson’s expiring instead, and somehow Milwaukee gives up a tad more value here if they even can, though value that wouldn’t require Divincenzo in this case.


I think this is close to expiring + #24 + DDV offer to Indy for Dipo. Obviously no Donte here, but the swap with BKN should be a “trade up” in 2022 and a free look at Wilson won’t harm Houston. I believe this is the discount Milwaukee gets for Dipo’s dropping value. He is closer to FA, he hasn’t been good this season and there is no chance to stay in Houston. I mean Indy could ride it out until FA, Rockets have to deal him now.

The other part of this trade is new. BroLo still holds value to clear DJ and Pat, which is what Hornets take advantage since Milwaukee doesn’t have expirings at the moment to use for Dipp.


You think so low of DDV that you’d value him as a pick swap in 2022 (where I’d still assume that Milwaukee will be formidable with Giannis/Middleton, and maybe Oladipo/Jrue, too, and a 2nd rounder? Call it in, DDV is a Pacer now, at that price. :wink: That swap with Brooklyn may end up being a trade up, but I wouldn’t assume it’d be up by much, as Milwaukee projects to still be really good, too.


I also think you’re overvaluing your $12+m in players you’re dumping here, too. Obviously, you’re wanting to dump them. I’m not sure why you think that Charlotte would then value them (Charlotte has at least Ball, Graham, and Rozier as PG type players, so Augustin is firmly buried on the bench, and they’ve already had Augustin before and moved on), and/or be able to move them for free in the offseason?

Sure, Oladipo’s value has dropped a bit, but you’d still possibly be competing with other teams wanting to get him for cheap, but, I think you’re either overestimating the value of the guys you’re dumping (Pat and DJ), or over valuing Brook in this type of deal.


I think you misunderstood what I said. Maybe it’s on me and my poor English. I didn’t (want to) say that #24 + Donte is equal to #24ish pick + possible late 1st swap. What I meant is that both the Indy offer in the offseason and the trade proposed now to Houston are equally fair.

I think I explained it correctly that Bucks get the discount in their Dipo package from late 1st + Donte in the offseason to late 1st + swap in the deadline because Dipo’s value is even lower now, he’s closer to FA and there is no chance (at least way lower than in Indy) to resign with Houston. I didn’t undervalue DDV and certainly value him waaaaaay more than a late swap.
Couch Potato
Junior
Posts: 373
And1: 65
Joined: Jun 01, 2020

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#14 » by Couch Potato » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:50 pm

Are the Bucks owners even willing to go in deep into the luxury tax to pay Holiday and Oladipo? Besides they got Giannis and Middleton on max deals. Also I thought I read somewhere Oladipo is heavily considering the Heat as free agent destination? Also thought you only allowed to trade out like 6 or is it 7 years for first round picks? What years are them Holiday picks at? Suppose to be like 3 of them besides two pick swaps. Not sure how in your trade they trade 2 more first round picks. Besides Stepien rule.
slos
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,582
And1: 564
Joined: May 20, 2018
 

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#15 » by slos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:16 pm

Couch Potato wrote:Are the Bucks owners even willing to go in deep into the luxury tax to pay Holiday and Oladipo? Besides they got Giannis and Middleton on max deals. Also I thought I read somewhere Oladipo is heavily considering the Heat as free agent destination? Also thought you only allowed to trade out like 6 or is it 7 years for first round picks? What years are them Holiday picks at? Suppose to be like 3 of them besides two pick swaps. Not sure how in your trade they trade 2 more first round picks. Besides Stepien rule.


Pelicans own Milwaukee’s 2025/2027 FRPs, which means that Bucks can trade 2021/2023 FRPs if they get back their 2022 FRP from Houston. That’s why you see so often these 2 for 1 trades with the Rockets.

As for your tax concerns, I share the same and that’s why I proposed a trade that gets Milwaukee out of the tax this year and clears 25 mil in 2021/22 (Brook, Augustin, Pat) to bring back Dipo.

MDipo has been linked with Miami, but he also trained with Giannis in the offseason. Miami also doesn’t have max money available to offer to Dipo, which is a bonus for Milwaukee to resign him.
Couch Potato
Junior
Posts: 373
And1: 65
Joined: Jun 01, 2020

Re: MIL/HOU/CHA (Dipo to Bucks, BroLo to Hornets) 

Post#16 » by Couch Potato » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:08 am

slos wrote:
Couch Potato wrote:Are the Bucks owners even willing to go in deep into the luxury tax to pay Holiday and Oladipo? Besides they got Giannis and Middleton on max deals. Also I thought I read somewhere Oladipo is heavily considering the Heat as free agent destination? Also thought you only allowed to trade out like 6 or is it 7 years for first round picks? What years are them Holiday picks at? Suppose to be like 3 of them besides two pick swaps. Not sure how in your trade they trade 2 more first round picks. Besides Stepien rule.


Pelicans own Milwaukee’s 2025/2027 FRPs, which means that Bucks can trade 2021/2023 FRPs if they get back their 2022 FRP from Houston. That’s why you see so often these 2 for 1 trades with the Rockets.

As for your tax concerns, I share the same and that’s why I proposed a trade that gets Milwaukee out of the tax this year and clears 25 mil in 2021/22 (Brook, Augustin, Pat) to bring back Dipo.

MDipo has been linked with Miami, but he also trained with Giannis in the offseason. Miami also doesn’t have max money available to offer to Dipo, which is a bonus for Milwaukee to resign him.


Do you know Oladipo and Holidays veteran max or what they get as first year with us with bird rights? Or does Oladipo lose Bird rights being traded to a new team? Or it carries over? I got side tracked reading of a story of a guy buying Taco bell at a mall and they didn't know a $2 bill. Guy also had a $50. His order was like a $1.50. After bickering and long story short mall security arrived and laughed at the people at Taco Bell about a $2 bill. First they thought he said a fake $50. That's all the guy had left besides the $2. Mall cop knew it was a real $2 bill and all the hassel Taco Bell gave it all for free and a few other things. Sorry to shift the topic of the trade and talking currency. I suppose some young kids never seen them. Their not completely rare. I was gifted one by a guest at my job in a card. I had to show it to my manager. He gave it back to me even though were not suppose to take tips.

Return to Trades and Transactions