Beal to Warriors

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Beal to Warriors 

Post#1 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:15 pm

Beal
for
Wiseman, Oubre, Wannamaker, Wolves pick

Why for Warriors:
Wiseman and Wolves pick MIGHT pan out by the time Curry, Klay, Green are past their prime.
Adding Beal this year replaces an awkward often loss rookie Wiseman with a legit all star.
Adding Klay back with Curry, Beal...makes them the best shooting three in the history of the NBA.

Why for Wizards?
Wiseman has potential to be a top 5 center. Wovles pick is likely top 5 next year or unprotect the following. Wolves are a sure bet to be bad for several more years.
They are going nowhere with just Beal....why not get the best lottery position you can get THIS year and next with immediate hope for the future.
Save money big time once Oubre salary drops next year.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,293

Re: Beal to Warriors 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:27 pm

wizards will ask for another 1st and some swap(s)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#3 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:27 pm

Various iterations of this trade has been discussed a whole lot.

The core of the deal is Beal for Wiseman and the MIN 1st. Then it's a matter of working out the filler contracts (Oubre or Wiggins?) and whether or not it's reasonable for the Wizards to demand anything extra like the Warriors 2026 1st or swaps in 2025 or later.

There's no way to really reach a resolution on these negotiations. Generally speaking, fans will tilt the trade to favor their own perspective. A big concern from the Wizards side is that MIN 1st could easily fall in the top 3 and not be conveyed until 2022 when it might not be as valuable. A big concern from the Warriors is that the luxtax situation becomes absurd if Oubre is used as the filler, but if they also don't want Wiggins to be the filler because Wiggins has actually been somewhat useful for them.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#4 » by Spud2nique » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:39 pm

Curry would have to be involved otherwise the Warriors don’t have enough assets for a guy like Beal.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#5 » by giberish » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:41 pm

nate33 wrote:Various iterations of this trade has been discussed a whole lot.

The core of the deal is Beal for Wiseman and the MIN 1st. Then it's a matter of working out the filler contracts (Oubre or Wiggins?) and whether or not it's reasonable for the Wizards to demand anything extra like the Warriors 2026 1st or swaps in 2025 or later.

There's no way to really reach a resolution on these negotiations. Generally speaking, fans will tilt the trade to favor their own perspective. A big concern from the Wizards side is that MIN 1st could easily fall in the top 3 and not be conveyed until 2022 when it might not be as valuable. A big concern from the Warriors is that the luxtax situation becomes absurd if Oubre is used as the filler, but if they also don't want Wiggins to be the filler because Wiggins has actually been somewhat useful for them.

I think Wiggins has to go out in any deal where GS is brining in any star contract. The finances just get too nuts otherwise. Then you get into how much adding Wiggins lowers the value of a GS package - though I'd argue that Wiseman + Minny 1st is more valuable then 5 late 1sts (or late-1st type assets) from some other team.

I'm also not really sold on the fit of Beal with GS. The perimeter defense looks really problematic. Klay is better defensively as a SG but would be forced down to SF and while in theory Beal can be an average defender it's been a few years since he's been a non-liability. On the other hand the Warriors FO seems star-obsessed and Beal is the biggest one plausibly available.
buffbrian
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#6 » by buffbrian » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:42 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Curry would have to be involved otherwise the Warriors don’t have enough assets for a guy like Beal.

I think Wiseman + Top 3 pick + Wiggins or Oubre is worth it to the Wizards if they see their team is falling off and want to rebuild. Probably the best offer they'll get
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,037

Post#7 » by daoneandonly » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:43 pm

Are people ignoring the fact that the Wiz are getting Wiseman, Minny pick, and not taking back Wiggins? Seems like darn good haul.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#8 » by pcbothwel » Mon Mar 1, 2021 8:34 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Are people ignoring the fact that the Wiz are getting Wiseman, Minny pick, and not taking back Wiggins? Seems like darn good haul.

Ehhh. Depends on how you value Wiseman. I think he COULD be Christian Wood, but that's at least 3-4 years away and I wouldnt call that generational by any stretch. If you arent GREAT as a Center (Jokic, Embiid, Gobert, etc.) are worth the Max, but after that you can get a top 6-12 Center for MLE+ type money.

And Im not sure how you value the Minny pick. It appears theres at least a 50% chance its protected and becomes 2022. You have to worry that Minny makes a consolidation trade and tries to make a move with KAT. That pick could easily end up outside the top 10 in that scenario.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#9 » by Warriorfan » Mon Mar 1, 2021 8:37 pm

Would rather gamble that GS hits on its lottery picks then get Beale who hasnt been on many winning teams and not as good IMO as a healthy Klay who would have to be a SF.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#10 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 8:40 pm

Warriorfan wrote:Would rather gamble that GS hits on its lottery picks then get Beale who hasnt been on many winning teams and not as good IMO as a healthy Klay who would have to be a SF.

I'm thinking Klay will have to move to SF anyhow as age and injury eat away at his mobility.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#11 » by Warriorfan » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:09 pm

nate33 wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Would rather gamble that GS hits on its lottery picks then get Beale who hasnt been on many winning teams and not as good IMO as a healthy Klay who would have to be a SF.

I'm thinking Klay will have to move to SF anyhow as age and injury eat away at his mobility.

SF position is getting supersized so Klay main advantage over other guards is length diminished.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#12 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 1, 2021 11:17 pm

nate33 wrote:

Klay will return to full health and play SG.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Post#13 » by Wolveswin » Tue Mar 2, 2021 12:56 am

pcbothwel wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Are people ignoring the fact that the Wiz are getting Wiseman, Minny pick, and not taking back Wiggins? Seems like darn good haul.

Ehhh. Depends on how you value Wiseman. I think he COULD be Christian Wood, but that's at least 3-4 years away and I wouldnt call that generational by any stretch. If you arent GREAT as a Center (Jokic, Embiid, Gobert, etc.) are worth the Max, but after that you can get a top 6-12 Center for MLE+ type money.

And Im not sure how you value the Minny pick. It appears theres at least a 50% chance its protected and becomes 2022. You have to worry that Minny makes a consolidation trade and tries to make a move with KAT. That pick could easily end up outside the top 10 in that scenario.

The Wolves pick is only 40% (well 41% I think) chance of being kept.

And that is the exact plan Wolves had going into 2021. Oops.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#14 » by Dat2U » Tue Mar 2, 2021 3:45 am

nate33 wrote:Various iterations of this trade has been discussed a whole lot.

I find this offer less enticing as time goes on and as Beal reaches new heights in his game. Some team needs to sacrifice their entire future for Beal at this point. Wiseman and a possible 6th pick ain't cutting it.
WAKEANT
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#15 » by WAKEANT » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:28 am

Again! The GSW need a front court star (Giannis, AD, PG, KAT, Tatum). The GSW have LeBron, AD, PG, and Leonard in their division. Any moves that mortgage (max out) their future assets will not be moves that make them old (Aldridge, Lowry) or small (Beal, Dipo, SGA, Lavine, Smart, CJ, Conley). The GSW are trying to build the SAS model franchise... playoff bound annually, NBA Finals participant periodically. I believe the GSW will be patient with Wiseman, use the MINN 1st whenever it conveys, strengthen their bench wisely, maybe keep Oubre, Wiggins or not.... won't be a pay to trade either though.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:47 am

Coxy wrote:
nate33 wrote:

At 32 - coming off an ACL injury, chasing smaller quicker players probably isn't the way to go for him - especially when he has the size to play the 3.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#17 » by pcbothwel » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Coxy wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm thinking Klay will have to move to SF anyhow as age and injury eat away at his mobility.

At 32 - coming off an ACL injury, chasing smaller quicker players probably isn't the way to go for him - especially when he has the size to play the 3.

Ruz, I never understand when people keep spouting about Klay being a SG. Maybe some GSW fans can enlighten me.
But Klay has gotten older and slower, while the league is younger and quicker. It seems like defending wings will be far more beneficial to him.
Offensively, it seems even more glaring. Klay barley dribbles. He doesn't create, draw fouls, etc. He seems like a really poor back court mate with Curry as they get older. Unless you bring in some playmaking wing, Curry will have to shoulder too much of the playmaking.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#18 » by Warriorfan » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:27 pm

WAKEANT wrote:Again! The GSW need a front court star (Giannis, AD, PG, KAT, Tatum). The GSW have LeBron, AD, PG, and Leonard in their division. Any moves that mortgage (max out) their future assets will not be moves that make them old (Aldridge, Lowry) or small (Beal, Dipo, SGA, Lavine, Smart, CJ, Conley). The GSW are trying to build the SAS model franchise... playoff bound annually, NBA Finals participant periodically. I believe the GSW will be patient with Wiseman, use the MINN 1st whenever it conveys, strengthen their bench wisely, maybe keep Oubre, Wiggins or not.... won't be a pay to trade either though.

You captured the Warriors fan point of view well.
Warriors also do understand that Curry is closer to the end of his peak than begging and the championshio window of Green, Thompson and Curry is closing without an influx of star talent via draft, trade or free agency
vetmin
Junior
And1: 131

Post#19 » by vetmin » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:34 pm

WAKEANT wrote:Again! The GSW need a front court star (Giannis, AD, PG, KAT, Tatum). The GSW have LeBron, AD, PG, and Leonard in their division. Any moves that mortgage (max out) their future assets will not be moves that make them old (Aldridge, Lowry) or small (Beal, Dipo, SGA, Lavine, Smart, CJ, Conley). The GSW are trying to build the SAS model franchise... playoff bound annually, NBA Finals participant periodically. I believe the GSW will be patient with Wiseman, use the MINN 1st whenever it conveys, strengthen their bench wisely, maybe keep Oubre, Wiggins or not.... won't be a pay to trade either though.

Problem is that you can't just decide to be what the Spurs have been over the past few decades. The Spurs got incredibly lucky twice (getting Tim Duncan and thus being able to smoothly segue from David Robinson, then getting Kawhi and thus being able to smoothly segue from Duncan). What they deserve the most credit for is being excellent stewards of those lucky circumstances, and the Warriors also deserve such credit for how they took the Steph-Klay-Draymond trio and cultivated that into an NBA dynasty.

But the draft is ultimately a crapshoot, even for good organizations, and even with high picks you can't just will your way into segueing from an aging superstar to a rising superstar. If you suddenly find yourself in that situation (i.e., with a productive, rising star on your team alongside your aging star(s)), then that's wonderful, but you don't sacrifice the once-in-a-lifetime situation you're currently in just to gamble on the possibility of threading the needle like that (and right now it's still a gamble, still just a possibility; Wiseman is not clearly on track to be the next Wilt). A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, in other words, and the Warriors will have all the time in the world post-Steph to stink or be mediocre and take the best advantage of any breaks they get in the draft. That's kinda what the Spurs are doing now, and it's what Brooklyn did successfully in the aftermath of their big fiasco with Boston.

As for Beal as a fit, more often than not, when commentators and fans worry about the fit between such-and-such combination of stars, it turns out to look silly in retrospect. Think of the "there's only one ball" stuff that people said in advance of KD to the Warriors and CP3 to the Rockets, or most recently, Harden to the Nets. I realize you're talking about defense, and yeah, PG or Tatum would be better fits, but circumstances don't always present the perfect fit, and if you wait around for it for too long you end up like the Ainge Celtics, letting your assets lose value (and in GSW's case, letting your stars age further) as you sit around waiting for the perfect trade. Bottom line is that -- if Klay comes back solid -- a core of Steph-Beal-Klay-Draymond would be a top-tier contender for a 2-3 years, with the Steph-Beal duo having perhaps a much longer shelf life, given Beal's youth and the way that Steph is aging gracefully.
WAKEANT
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#20 » by WAKEANT » Wed Mar 3, 2021 8:35 pm

vetmin wrote:

Problem is that you can't just decide to be what the Spurs have been over the past few decades. The Spurs got incredibly lucky twice (getting Tim Duncan and thus being able to smoothly segue from David Robinson, then getting Kawhi and thus being able to smoothly segue from Duncan). What they deserve the most credit for is being excellent stewards of those lucky circumstances, and the Warriors also deserve such credit for how they took the Steph-Klay-Draymond trio and cultivated that into an NBA dynasty.

But the draft is ultimately a crapshoot, even for good organizations, and even with high picks you can't just will your way into segueing from an aging superstar to a rising superstar. If you suddenly find yourself in that situation (i.e., with a productive, rising star on your team alongside your aging star(s)), then that's wonderful, but you don't sacrifice the once-in-a-lifetime situation you're currently in just to gamble on the possibility of threading the needle like that (and right now it's still a gamble, still just a possibility; Wiseman is not clearly on track to be the next Wilt). A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, in other words, and the Warriors will have all the time in the world post-Steph to stink or be mediocre and take the best advantage of any breaks they get in the draft. That's kinda what the Spurs are doing now, and it's what Brooklyn did successfully in the aftermath of their big fiasco with Boston.

As for Beal as a fit, more often than not, when commentators and fans worry about the fit between such-and-such combination of stars, it turns out to look silly in retrospect. Think of the "there's only one ball" stuff that people said in advance of KD to the Warriors and CP3 to the Rockets, or most recently, Harden to the Nets. I realize you're talking about defense, and yeah, PG or Tatum would be better fits, but circumstances don't always present the perfect fit, and if you wait around for it for too long you end up like the Ainge Celtics, letting your assets lose value (and in GSW's case, letting your stars age further) as you sit around waiting for the perfect trade. Bottom line is that -- if Klay comes back solid -- a core of Steph-Beal-Klay-Draymond would be a top-tier contender for a 2-3 years, with the Steph-Beal duo having perhaps a much longer shelf life, given Beal's youth and the way that Steph is aging gracefully.

Ahh yes...An basketball organization can choose their direction to build a team designed to win for many years. If the owner, front office, players have the same vision (with the style of play), and the team has the infrastructure for scouting & player development; annual championship / CF contention is possible --- luck occasionally welcome.
Beal is not that bird that GSW needs...I've stated the reasons earlier... he makes the Warriors TOO small...then GSW becomes Portland -> bad defensively with a small backcourt.

Return to Trades and Transactions