Denver & Chicago, Denver gets their frontcourt defender

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,254

Denver & Chicago, Denver gets their frontcourt defender 

Post#1 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:25 pm

Denver trades: Green, Hampton

Chicago trades: Thaddeus Young.

Pretty simple. Denver gets the resurgent Thaddeus Young (PER over 20, top 5 in charges taken, defensive metrics have been good) to add to their frontcourt.

Chicago cashes in, goes for a mini tank, and gets an asset in Hampton. Hampton has been compared to Lavine, and would be good to grow under Lavine.

Alternate solutions: Green is being used for salary filler, but is easily replaceable in the deal. Also 2021 lottery protected 1st instead of Hampton makes sense to me too, but salary is tricky to match if that's the case. Maybe 2021 1st from Denver and 2021 2nd from Chicago back to them?
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Re: Denver & Chicago, Denver gets their frontcourt defender 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:28 pm

I think I like the lottery protected first better here for Denver. When you're a team that plans on going deep into the playoffs, you want all hands on deck. I think the filler is Milsap though.

What I'm not sure about is the Bulls making this move. They're a half game out of the 8th seed and trading Young puts an end to that. Maybe at the deadline if they're further back.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:28 pm

I don't believe Thad Young returns a 1st or a prospect of this caliber. Is Thad really an upgrade from Millsap/Green? If he is its not enough to justify this price I don't believe. Especially since their shooting is more complimentary to Jokic/Murray than Thad's passing.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,609

Post#4 » by youngthegiant » Mon Mar 1, 2021 9:58 pm

That's a lot to pay for an aging player who is most likely going to be a rental. MPJ is also starting to emerge as a better PF so Denver will want a more traditional wing to help contain out on the perimeter.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#5 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:19 pm

youngthegiant wrote:That's a lot to pay for an aging player who is most likely going to be a rental. MPJ is also starting to emerge as a better PF so Denver will want a more traditional wing to help contain out on the perimeter.

The 2021 1st for the Bulls 2022 2nd swap still too much do you think?
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#6 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I think I like the lottery protected first better here for Denver. When you're a team that plans on going deep into the playoffs, you want all hands on deck. I think the filler is Milsap though.

What I'm not sure about is the Bulls making this move. They're a half game out of the 8th seed and trading Young puts an end to that. Maybe at the deadline if they're further back.

I don't think the Bulls trade Thad, him and Zach are very close. I think Lauri and WCJ are much more likely to be dealt FWIW.

I do think with the schedule getting tough, the Bulls will flounder around 9-11 for the remainder of the year. So they could very well be sellers (and IMO should be)
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#7 » by ChettheJet » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:20 pm

Oh the Bulls need a FRP to even listen. They just played DEN Hampton with his whopping 9 minutes per game out on protocals and Green injured and didn't play would be coming to his 5th NBA team in 7 years, that's spelled journeyman. Young scored 12 with 5 rebounds and 4 assists playing against Jokic much of that time.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#8 » by pipfan » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:54 pm

I just thought of a deal like this. Denver would LOVE Young for the next two years-a perfect fit in their system. Bulls mini-tank (or bigger tank) and get Hampton-who is interesting as a prospect
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#9 » by The Rebel » Tue Mar 2, 2021 7:45 pm

Ao, o don't see much difference between young and Green at this point, I doubt the Nuggets throw in any kind of prospect let alone the guy they just drafted and are very high on.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#10 » by DaFan334 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:22 pm

The Nuggets need a wing defender more so than the post and I think Young's days on the parameter are done after watching him mainly guarding Jokic last night.
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,051

Post#11 » by jordanwilliams6 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:51 pm

Thad Young has been great this year, and does a lot of things extremely well. Post D isn't one of them. I mean he can hold his own, but it's not a reason to trade for him.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,839

Post#12 » by giberish » Tue Mar 2, 2021 10:17 pm

It seems that Denver really needs wing upgrades but everyone wants to trade them PF's. Of course good wings are tougher to find.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:20 pm

The OP is tempting, but I doubt Denver is interested. Young is probably not the answer they are looking for. Millsap and Green are probably equal to or close to it. Denver has high hopes for Hampton, it might take a couple of years, but he might be worth the gamble. Young is 32 years old and not in Denver's long range plans.

Beyond that, it seems unlikely Chicago makes this deal - not this year. This deal makes them worse for this year and they want to make the playoffs and gambling on Hampton doesn't make sense. He may or may not be the player Denver hopes for. But Denver can afford the gamble more than Chicago can IMO.

Return to Trades and Transactions