Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 3.0

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Re: Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 3.0 

Post#101 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:44 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Aaron Mintz has a pretty long list of NBA players including two other current Pelicans players.

I'm old enough to remember, 48 hours ago, when people suggested this type of thing was being overblown.

I’m sure Mintz did tell Reddick that was the case.

I’m also sure Mintz has no intent on shutting off 1 of only 30 employers for the sake of a guy that may not ever sign another NBA contract again.

We’ll see if in 10 years Mintz never ever has a client sign there. :dontknow:

But also, Griffin probably shouldn’t have promised that he would send Reddick to one of a few places, knowing that he might not.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,929

Post#102 » by zimpy27 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Wouldn't shock me at all if Griffins promise was premised on JJ giving up some amount of money and Mintz said he wanted it all.

Griffin shouldn't have made the promise in the first place, but I doubt we're being given the full story.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app

Redick saying this publicly if the real story is he wouldn't give up some money would be an absolutely terrible look for him. I agree we are definitely getting only his perspective, but JJ going somewhat scorched earth on an organization and saying his agency isn't going to trust them any more is a really big deal. Would he really say that if the actual story was Griffin would let him go but JJ wouldn't give up a couple million dollars? I find that hard to believe.

So now we know that this report is actually true:

https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/report-some-nba-agents-threaten-small-market-teams-if-they-dont-buy-out-players-by-saying-they-wont-bring-them-players/
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#103 » by jbk1234 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:50 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm old enough to remember, 48 hours ago, when people suggested this type of thing was being overblown.

I’m sure Mintz did tell Reddick that was the case.

I’m also sure Mintz has no intent on shutting off 1 of only 30 employers for the sake of a guy that may not ever sign another NBA contract again.

We’ll see if in 10 years Mintz never ever has a client sign there. :dontknow:

But also, Griffin probably shouldn’t have promised that he would send Reddick to one of a few places, knowing that he might not.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#104 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:05 pm

Soulyss wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Not that JJ is "right" but I feel like a guy that has been in the NBA for 14 plus years has earned the courtesy of being brought out vs traded for a playoff second .

I think being viewed as a player friendly team is more valuable than the second.

Nah... JJ did a money grab and is now bitching... I have zero sympathy. Had JJ been with the Pels for a decade... yeah, he would have the right to complain.

What's the money grab part? He was a professional the whole time there. Was told he was given a promise and was lied to.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#105 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Wouldn't shock me at all if Griffins promise was premised on JJ giving up some amount of money and Mintz said he wanted it all.

Griffin shouldn't have made the promise in the first place, but I doubt we're being given the full story.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app

Redick saying this publicly if the real story is he wouldn't give up some money would be an absolutely terrible look for him. I agree we are definitely getting only his perspective, but JJ going somewhat scorched earth on an organization and saying his agency isn't going to trust them any more is a really big deal. Would he really say that if the actual story was Griffin would let him go but JJ wouldn't give up a couple million dollars? I find that hard to believe.

So now we know that this report is actually true:

https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/report-some-nba-agents-threaten-small-market-teams-if-they-dont-buy-out-players-by-saying-they-wont-bring-them-players/

Is agent not bringing a team players because because they didn't buy out his client or they make empty promises ? JJ did say this wasn't an isolated event.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#106 » by Resistance » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:20 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Soulyss wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Not that JJ is "right" but I feel like a guy that has been in the NBA for 14 plus years has earned the courtesy of being brought out vs traded for a playoff second .

I think being viewed as a player friendly team is more valuable than the second.

Nah... JJ did a money grab and is now bitching... I have zero sympathy. Had JJ been with the Pels for a decade... yeah, he would have the right to complain.

What's the money grab part? He was a professional the whole time there. Was told he was given a promise and was lied to.

There was a writeup a few years ago when he with Philadelphia about how he was comfortable on the East Coast. Philadelphia was paying him $23 million and then $12,250,000. I don't know about negotiations with Philadelphia when he needed a new deal, but I would guess that their offer was lower than the $13 million per year that New Orleans offered. So he left his comfort zone on the East Coast for more money.

I wonder if Reddick will reveal how much money he offered to give up in a buyout so he could become a FA. Since he left his comfort zone for more money, I have him willing to give up only a prorated part of the veteran minimum rather than the prorated part of the $13 million that Dallas will pay him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#107 » by jbk1234 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:41 pm

Resistance wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Soulyss wrote:

There was a writeup a few years ago when he with Philadelphia about how he was comfortable on the East Coast. Philadelphia was paying him $23 million and then $12,250,000. I don't know about negotiations with Philadelphia when he needed a new deal, but I would guess that their offer was lower than the $13 million per year that New Orleans offered. So he left his comfort zone on the East Coast for more money.

I wonder if Reddick will reveal how much money he offered to give up in a buyout so he could become a FA. Since he left his comfort zone for more money, I have him willing to give up only a prorated part of the veteran minimum rather than the prorated part of the $13 million that Dallas will pay him.

Dallas could buy a better pick with $3M than what they gave up. The last day to sign a waived player is the 9th. If JJ felt that strongly about playing closer to his family, he still has the ability to make it happen.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#108 » by Soulyss » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:17 am

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Soulyss wrote:

I didn't say he wasn't a professional during the team, but part of being a professional is accepting when you take the biggest offer away from your family, that might mean you get traded and finish the contract elsewhere.

Resistance wrote:There was a writeup a few years ago when he with Philadelphia about how he was comfortable on the East Coast. Philadelphia was paying him $23 million and then $12,250,000. I don't know about negotiations with Philadelphia when he needed a new deal, but I would guess that their offer was lower than the $13 million per year that New Orleans offered. So he left his comfort zone on the East Coast for more money.

I thought I saw something about this as well, it's why I responded like I did... My understanding was that he had offers to stay close to home, but... he wanted that cash..
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#109 » by loserX » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:26 pm

Isaiah Thomas just signed a 10-day with the Pelicans.

Not quite clear why that team thought they needed *another* point guard, but here's hoping he at least shows enough to get another gig.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,686

Post#110 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:45 pm

loserX wrote:Isaiah Thomas just signed a 10-day with the Pelicans.

Not quite clear why that team thought they needed *another* point guard, but here's hoping he at least shows enough to get another gig.

Cynic in me says they got some bad press on the whole Redick mess so trying to buy back some goodwill by being the team to give IT a shot. Probably unfair, but its the first thing that came to mind. I guess with Zion out in the short term they can argue they needed some offense?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#111 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Texas Chuck

Post#112 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:29 pm

Blazers signing Hollis-Jefferson per Shams
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#113 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:30 pm

Rick Carlisle with a positive COVID test.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#114 » by kalenclayton » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:35 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Rick Carlisle with a positive COVID test.

Fingers crossed that he recovers just fine.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by kalenclayton » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:36 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

This is such an interesting signing. It’s one of the places I can see RHJ succeeding.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#116 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:10 am

Not understanding that Hollis was out of the league..good defense, athletic .. I'm happy for him .. !!! Blazers don't need a backup Guard that can defend themselves .. ??
1+1=11
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#117 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:17 am

Hopefully everybody can see by now why I think Robert "Time Lord" Williams is MUCH more than a trade throw-in.

You don't have to agree, but I do think you have to at least see it as a reasonable view. ;)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Texas Chuck

Post#118 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:17 am

kalenclayton wrote:

cleared to travel with the team so must have been false positive. He said he had been vaccinated in January so that was concerning.

Moseley 1-0 though so congrats coach!

Dallas has been doing what they need to do with this soft 2nd half schedule. Would be nice if they could make up 3 games against one of Lakers, Nuggets, Blazers but seems unlikely that they will pass the latter 2 so its all about the health of those Laker stars.

The entertainment value of a 3/6 series against the Clippers or Nuggets would be so nice--and of course avoiding that play-in tournament. Which suddenly your Kings look like a real threat to play in.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#119 » by Devilanche » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:07 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
loserX wrote:Isaiah Thomas just signed a 10-day with the Pelicans.

Cynic in me says they got some bad press on the whole Redick mess so trying to buy back some goodwill by being the team to give IT a shot. Probably unfair, but its the first thing that came to mind. I guess with Zion out in the short term they can argue they needed some offense?

He’s not giving them defence that’s for sure .

They still have a chance of the play in. Not sure that’s worth signing someone up that will not be part of their long terms plans or they are better off throwing in their rookies and seeing how they develop
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by kalenclayton » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:26 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

cleared to travel with the team so must have been false positive. He said he had been vaccinated in January so that was concerning.

Moseley 1-0 though so congrats coach!

Dallas has been doing what they need to do with this soft 2nd half schedule. Would be nice if they could make up 3 games against one of Lakers, Nuggets, Blazers but seems unlikely that they will pass the latter 2 so its all about the health of those Laker stars.

The entertainment value of a 3/6 series against the Clippers or Nuggets would be so nice--and of course avoiding that play-in tournament. Which suddenly your Kings look like a real threat to play in.

I think Dallas has a shot to get to the 6th seed, but only if the Lakers drop out. The other 5 teams look solid enough to stay. If Dallas stays at 7, I would love a clash between Doncic and Bagl... jk. DAL-SAC would be a really entertaining play in game though. Unfortunately, I don’t think Dallas loses their first game.

Return to Trades and Transactions