Everyone on the Celtics for Everyone on your team?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,830

Re: Everyone on the Celtics for Everyone on your team? 

Post#21 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:27 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:So basically who feels like their core is better than Tatum/Brown. Celtics have a couple of other interesting pieces, but nothing that would be a meaningful factor. Feel like the majority of teams would in fact swap rosters with Boston even some surprising ones.

For Dallas, I'd not do it. Celtics have a better top 4 than Dallas for sure, but Luka is just so special that I couldn't give him up even for Tatum/Brown.

Robert Williams has gotten to the meaningful factor level, in my opinion.

I mean he's a good young player for sure, but when a team is talking about swapping their entire roster they aren't making or breaking their decision on a guy like him. For instance I could talk about some other Mavericks if they were the team in this scenario, but being real--many teams would trade rosters with Dallas because of Luka no matter what the rest of the roster looked like.

Smart is another really attractive player, but again he's just not a factor or shouldn't be. You would be saying I like Tatum/Brown more than my cornerstones. Only exceptions might be teams with 2 young stars of their own but very little else around them who might view Smart/Williams/maybe Kemba? as tiebreakers. But I don't know what team that would be.

This isn't meant to disparage Williams or any other Celtic, but simply to say these decisions would be made around the stars.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,548

Post#22 » by Devilanche » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:49 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:So basically who feels like their core is better than Tatum/Brown. Celtics have a couple of other interesting pieces, but nothing that would be a meaningful factor. Feel like the majority of teams would in fact swap rosters with Boston even some surprising ones.

For Dallas, I'd not do it. Celtics have a better top 4 than Dallas for sure, but Luka is just so special that I couldn't give him up even for Tatum/Brown.

I mean he's a good young player for sure, but when a team is talking about swapping their entire roster they aren't making or breaking their decision on a guy like him. For instance I could talk about some other Mavericks if they were the team in this scenario, but being real--many teams would trade rosters with Dallas because of Luka no matter what the rest of the roster looked like.

Smart is another really attractive player, but again he's just not a factor or shouldn't be. You would be saying I like Tatum/Brown more than my cornerstones. Only exceptions might be teams with 2 young stars of their own but very little else around them who might view Smart/Williams/maybe Kemba? as tiebreakers. But I don't know what team that would be.

This isn't meant to disparage Williams or any other Celtic, but simply to say these decisions would be made around the stars.

Yeap for Dallas it’s a simple case of Luka vs Tatum / Brown against what you can hope to salvage out of KP.

Only team with 2 young cornerstone of their own of similar standing will need to start comparing what’s there amongst the rest
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#23 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:53 am

Change Kemba ..
Kemba + Nesmith for Westbrook+Bertans

Change Thompson
Thompson + Boston21 for Boucher ..

Westbrook / Pritchard
Fournier/Smarth
Brown
Tatum/Bertans
Boucher / Williams
1+1=11
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#24 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:59 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

That's reasonable.

I'd rank Brown over Williams right now because he's been doing it longer and has no known chronic health issues. But I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Time Lord winds up being the one of the two with more career all star/all-NBA kinds of accolades, or the most impact on winning basketball. In fact, that would be the way I'd bet on an even-money basis, if I had no concerns about durability.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,700

Post#25 » by stormi » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:29 am

swift no
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#26 » by TunaFish » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:06 pm

Denver would not. I bet I would not have to sell that too hard.
Canned in Denver.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,497

Post#27 » by Wolveswin » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:38 pm

Wolveswin wrote:No. But if Ainge wants a quick rebuild I would do...

Edwards + Culver + Rubio (expiring) + 2021 1-3 (assuming keeping) + 2024 1st

FOR

Tatum + Smart + Filler

Towns
Tatum
McDaniels
Smart
Russell
6: Beasley

Seriously??

Same reaction to a Chicago fan saying "No".

Yes, serious.

Brown + Tatum duo vs Towns + Edwards duo favors Celtics, but not crazy delta. Wolves gain on Edwards upside, raw potential and rookie contract.

Russell over Walker.
McDaniels over Williams.
Rubio over TT.

Smart and Beasley are close, Beasley is locked in on value deal however.
Maybe Celtics youth is better than Culver and Okogie. But not earth shattering.

Probably taster’s choice for Celtics vs. Wolves roster. But if Wolves keep their 2021 1st, that really swings in favor of Wolves.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#28 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:47 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:No. But if Ainge wants a quick rebuild I would do...

Edwards + Culver + Rubio (expiring) + 2021 1-3 (assuming keeping) + 2024 1st

FOR

Tatum + Smart + Filler

Towns
Tatum
McDaniels
Smart
Russell
6: Beasley

Seriously??

Yes, serious.

Brown + Tatum duo vs Towns + Edwards duo favors Celtics, but not crazy delta. Wolves gain on Edwards upside, raw potential and rookie contract.

Russell over Walker.
McDaniels over Williams.
Rubio over TT.

Probably taster’s choice for Celtics vs. Wolves roster. But if Wolves keep their 2021 1st, that really swings in favor of Wolves.

McDaniels over Grant WIlliams, fine.
But Robert Williams >> McDaniels.

Brown vs. KAT is an interesting debate; the people who give the edge to KAT seem to think it's wider than those who give the edge to Brown do.

Tatum >>>> Edwards.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Wolveswin » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:58 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Seriously??

Yes, serious.

Russell over Walker.
McDaniels over Williams.
Rubio over TT.

Brown vs. KAT is an interesting debate; the people who give the edge to KAT seem to think it's wider than those who give the edge to Brown do.

Tatum >>>> Edwards.

You won’t find many or any Wolves fans that would trade McDaniels for R. Williams. And as he gains starting minutes, this rookie will have many to just as many followers that are not Wolves’s fans.

Tatum is better than 19yo rookie Edwards. He should be. But as I said before, Edwards has raw upside, potential to be Wolves version of Tatum and on rookie deal.

Towns > Brown within TNT value poll. I agree with how that partisan ranking concluded.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#30 » by Hal14 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:48 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Yes, serious.

Russell over Walker.
McDaniels over Williams.
Rubio over TT.

Tatum >>>> Edwards.

You won’t find many or any Wolves fans that would trade McDaniels for R. Williams. And as he gains starting minutes, this rookie will have many to just as many followers that are not Wolves’s fans.

Tatum is better than 19yo rookie Edwards. He should be. But as I said before, Edwards has raw upside, potential to be Wolves version of Tatum and on rookie deal.

Towns > Brown within TNT value poll. I agree with how that partisan ranking concluded.

Towns vs Brown is close but I'd rank Brown slightly higher due to a) Brown less of an injury risk b) Brown a year younger and c) Brown is better defender

Tatum vs Edwards, are you serious? Not even close. A rookie who has good upside but hasn't really proven anything vs a 2 time all star who has accomplished more than almost any 23 year old in NBA history.

Tatum/Brown has a significant edge over Towns/Edwards, it's not even close.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Wolveswin » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:15 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Tatum >>>> Edwards.

Towns vs Brown is close but I'd rank Brown slightly higher due to a) Brown less of an injury risk b) Brown a year younger and c) Brown is better defender

Tatum vs Edwards, are you serious? Not even close. A rookie who has good upside but hasn't really proven anything vs a 2 time all star who has accomplished more than almost any 23 year old in NBA history.

Well the majority had Towns > Brown and it wasn’t close.

In 2018 offseason would Wizards have traded Beal for Tatum? Beal was much better. Beal up and coming young players. Tatum a rookie.

Comparing a proven player to rookie is a tough parallel. Of course Tatum is better and has more value. Do we know that holds true when Edwards is 23?

Point being, if Towns > Brown and Tatum > Edwards, the value starts to equal out but of course favors the Celtics. Add the other things as described and like I said, getting close to taster’s choice.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#32 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:27 pm

Wolveswin wrote:

Russell over Walker.
McDaniels over Williams.
Rubio over TT.

Tatum >>>> Edwards.

I'm not expecting Williams to have career averages like his most recent game (9-9 shooting, 8 assists -- many of them non-trivial -- with 0 TOs, 4 offensive rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, etc.) :D But he's on a glide path to be a frequent all-star, health permitting. The health part is admittedly concerning; he still hasn't had a lot of 25+ minute games, or starts, in his career.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,437

Post#33 » by oldncreaky » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:03 pm

Wolveswin wrote:

Tatum >>>> Edwards.

I'm not expecting Williams to have career averages like his most recent game (9-9 shooting, 8 assists -- many of them non-trivial -- with 0 TOs, 4 offensive rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, etc.) :D But he's on a glide path to be a frequent all-star, health permitting. The health part is admittedly concerning; he still hasn't had a lot of 25+ minute games, or starts, in his career.

Pistons/Raptor fan, with no axe to grind, but an opinion. I like defence, so there is no way I'd take the TWolves roster over Celtics.

Tatum is the best player

I'd take Brown over KAT or Edwards

RWilliams over McDaniels easily. I think Williams is one of the most promising young (under-25) C/PF and will be a defensive anchor for a decade

Smart is arguably better right now than anyone on the Wolves roster
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#34 » by Mr Loggins » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:06 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Ernest wrote:Would you do it?

hard pass.

must be sweet for Brooklyn fans after watching celtics spend their money for what seems like a decade
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#35 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:53 pm

Threads like these are going to prob illicit 5% truthful responses, and that includes Celtic fans. I like Timelord but you can’t depend on him being healthy/keeping his head on strait. But Boston despite their struggles do have two young all stars locked up longterm, so even if you don’t like their mix it would be very easy to start over with a good amount of assets. Very few teams can say that.
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#36 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:58 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:You won’t find many or any Wolves fans that would trade McDaniels for R. Williams. And as he gains starting minutes, this rookie will have many to just as many followers that are not Wolves’s fans.

Well the majority had Towns > Brown and it wasn’t close.

In 2018 offseason would Wizards have traded Beal for Tatum? Beal was much better. Beal up and coming young players. Tatum a rookie.

Comparing a proven player to rookie is a tough parallel. Of course Tatum is better and has more value. Do we know that holds true when Edwards is 23?

Point being, if Towns > Brown and Tatum > Edwards, the value starts to equal out but of course favors the Celtics. Add the other things as described and like I said, getting close to taster’s choice.

It’s true but still a weird comp. Tatum was a better/more polished player coming out of high school than Edwards and def showed more as a rookie. Brown and Edwards were more similar, even in college. Why are we comparing Towns to Brown and not Tatum when Tatum has more accolades?
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#37 » by GoBobs » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:29 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:probably yeah

I wouldn’t, I like LaMelo better than Tatum/Brown. For the next three years Tatum/Brown will make 50-60 mil combined. LaMelo will make 8-10 and is then restricted.
Celtics biggest problem is they have all stars but no superstar. LaMelo has a better chance to be a superstar.
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#38 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:32 pm

Wolveswin wrote:

Russell over Walker.
McDaniels over Williams.
Rubio over TT.

Tatum >>>> Edwards.

Of course you won’t find fans willing to trade their own prospects, unless it’s a glaring upgrade. And McDaniels is a good prospect, was a top 5 out of high school. He also fizzled out in college though and while he has had a couple nice games on paper I’m not seeing where he has flashed to deserve national attention. He’s got similar hometown hype to Williams, though Williams has always has always had good advanced numbers as a pro at least to fall back on. And also of course you can’t compare a rookie Edwards to Tatum, but you can compare their rookie seasons as projections. Tatum as a 19 yo rookie was much better defensively and more polished offensively. I’m not seeing the comp. Like I said, he’s more similar to Brown as a player/skill set.
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#39 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:35 pm

GoBobs wrote:

I wouldn’t, I like LaMelo better than Tatum/Brown. For the next three years Tatum/Brown will make 50-60 mil combined. LaMelo will make 8-10 and is then restricted.
Celtics biggest problem is they have all stars but no superstar. LaMelo has a better chance to be a superstar.

Tatum was all NBA last year and a all star starter this year. LaMelo put together a solid rookie season but it was a limited sample size and like most rookies his numbers haven’t translated to winning yet. He’s still a long way away from not being a neg defensively. Projecting him to be better than Tatum at this point seems premature.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#40 » by GoBobs » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:47 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

Tatum was all NBA last year and a all star starter this year. LaMelo put together a solid rookie season but it was a limited sample size and like most rookies his numbers haven’t translated to winning yet. He’s still a long way away from not being a neg defensively. Projecting him to be better than Tatum at this point seems premature.

True, but LaMelo is only 19 and a much better passer than tatum has ever been. I think Tatum is very good and LaMelo is very close to Luka level of talent. I might be biased since he plays for my team, but i have also watched almost every hornets game this year.

Return to Trades and Transactions