Minny gets Suggs, blowup

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Minny gets Suggs, blowup 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:59 pm

Let's say Minny keeps their pick, and at 1-3 they get Suggs. He's from Minnestoa and could be the face of the franchise moving forward.

GS needs to win now, with Curry ending his prime. Towns could be a perfect fit as the #2 guy there, and is young enough to build around once Green/Curry/Thompson are gone

Beasley/Towns for Minny's pick back, Wiseman, GS's 1st (somewhere between 10-15), plus Wiggins

The $ is about even. GS moves Thompson to the 3, and has the best shooting lineup possible. Beasley/Thompson would get TONS of open looks around Curry and Towns. With health, that team would be a contender

Minny starts fresh-they build around Wiseman, Suggs, Edwards as their big three. Plus they would have Okoge, Culver, McDaniels, Reid, Hernangomez as young pieces to support their big three, and the GS pick. Finally, they would get their pick back for 2022. Obviously, they wouldn't want Wiggins back, but he would only have 2 years left-maybe they could move him for another bad contract, or even buy him out.

They could then deal Rubio and DLo, and have a brand new look
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,820

Re: Minny gets Suggs, blowup 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:57 pm

If you get Suggs, you don't need to blow it up is the thing.

I'd rather just build around Suggs/Towns/Edwards myself rather than turning Towns into Wiseman, Wiggins, and a couple picks. Especially since you have the Wolves just casually tossing Beasley into the deal.

Beasley is worth the GSW pick on his own, so now its Wiggins/Wiseman/Minny's pick back for Towns and for that to be remotely good value Minny has to tank another year, have lottery luck, and there be a great prospect available where their pick lands.

I don't like this for the Wolves at all. Suggs changes everything for them.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#3 » by gswhoops » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:00 pm

If the pick stays with Minnesota, I bet they’ll believe that KAT, Edwards, Cade/Mobley/Suggs, and a decent supporting cast will be enough to at least get them in the playoff hunt. So they probably won’t think that their 2022 pick, even unprotected, has the kind of value needed to anchor a KAT offer
Texas Chuck

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:06 pm

This has a lot more legs if the Warriors end up with a top 3 pick and Suggs is available when its their turn to pick. Then you can talk yourself into a reset around Suggs and Edwards but you probably need a 3rd team to take Wiggins back because its going to be impossible to sell to a fanbase that we made a series of deals that led us to having Wiggins and being saddled with Russell, but not having Towns and our reward for this is basically just our own pick back.

I'm a big believer in sunk costs and that that shouldn't matter. But in this case, you cannot sell this to your local fanbase/media. And the national media would clown you too and rightfully so.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#5 » by gswhoops » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:11 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:This has a lot more legs if the Warriors end up with a top 3 pick and Suggs is available when its their turn to pick. Then you can talk yourself into a reset around Suggs and Edwards but you probably need a 3rd team to take Wiggins back because its going to be impossible to sell to a fanbase that we made a series of deals that led us to having Wiggins and being saddled with Russell, but not having Towns and our reward for this is basically just our own pick back.

I'm a big believer in sunk costs and that that shouldn't matter. But in this case, you cannot sell this to your local fanbase/media. And the national media would clown you too and rightfully so.

I’m a pretty firm believer that the “Wiggins destroys the value of your trade package” bit is overdone on this board (any team trading a star is committing to a multi-year rebuild anyway, and more assets > better filler IMO) but he absolutely cannot be sent back to Minnesota.
Texas Chuck

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:16 pm

gswhoops wrote:I’m a pretty firm believer that the “Wiggins destroys the value of your trade package” bit is overdone on this board (any team trading a star is committing to a multi-year rebuild anyway, and more assets > better filler IMO)

Me too. Obviously if they were trying to just dump him into space that costs a very nice asset or multiple solid ones. But they are never going to do that, they would want to use him as salary filler for a much better player and any team willing to do that for the premium assets the Warriors can provide isn't going to freak out over 2 years of Wiggins.

Again, as you state: Minnesota specifically aside.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#7 » by Coeur » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:41 pm

I don’t think you’re getting enough value back to send out Towns. And I get both sides of the argument about should or shouldn’t “if” Suggs goes to Minnesota
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#8 » by Coeur » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:44 pm

No blowup without trading Russell too right? No way you deal towns but keep D’aR around.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,496

Post#9 » by Wolveswin » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:24 am

How about this on draft day, if Warriors are gifted #4...

Wizards:
Westbrook + Bertans + 2021 1st (#1 Suggs)
FOR
Wiggins + Russell + 2021 Wolves 1st (#4)

Warriors:
Wiggins + Wiseman + Picks (see below)
FOR
Towns + Bertans

Wolves:
Towns + Russell
FOR
Wiseman + Westbrook (buyout please)
2021 Wizards 1st (#1 Suggs)
2021 Warriors 1st (#13ish)
2022 Warriors 1st (unprotected)
2023 Warriors 1st Swap (unprotected)
2026 Warriors 1st (unprotected)

Wiseman | Reid
#13* | Vanderbilt | Hernangomez
McDaniels | Culver
Edwards | Beasley* | Nowell
Suggs | Rubio

*Beasley + #13 for Hood + #7 (Raptors). Wolves can draft PF: Johnson or Barnes.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#10 » by Resistance » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:49 am

Since Toronto just traded for Trent, not seeing a need to also trade for Beasley.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,490

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:08 am

Siding with if you have Edwards/Suggs/Beasley/KAT.. You have to be able to make it work. you trade Culver and Rubio for a four (finally) but you have to see Suggs before you deal KAT.

Better would be do they trade Suggs to trade and build around KAT.

Not that.
Spoiler:
DLo and Suggs for Pascal. Or if KAT has actual attachment. But really, KAT/DLo have only played 90 minutes together this season and one game together last season? Don’t think there’s a chance they move him.

Some three team deal where Minnesota’s side looks like;

Beasley, Rubio, 3 for Pascal, 7? DLo, Edwards, Culver, Pascal, KAT and draft Barnes or Johnson... I like it but think that’s overrating Beasley/Suggs a bit and Minnesota owes something. But I think Suggs is going to be a star and the top 3 of this draft should hold a ton of value. Big fan of his though..

NOP does Bledsoe and their pick for Beasley right?

So Toronto gets Bledsoe, Rubio, 2-3, and 10ish for Pascal and 7ish? Suggs and Sengun/Moody to start rebuild instead of trading Pascal a later pick and ending up with 6 and 7.

Or similar with Grant, who is better (sorry) and cheaper than Pascal - but I’d target Pascal due to him being locked up longer..
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Wolveswin » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:53 am

Resistance wrote:

Since Toronto just traded for Trent, not seeing a need to also trade for Beasley.

Maybe not. And maybe someone who can quote stats will come in here and show which player is better. But obvious answer is who is younger and locked in and carries more value? Is that worth a 5 slot swap?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#13 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:19 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Maybe not. And maybe someone who can quote stats will come in here and show which player is better. But obvious answer is who is younger and locked in and carries more value? Is that worth a 5 slot swap?

Gary Trent Jr is two years younger than Beasley and is a RFA so will likely be locked up for 4 years vs Beasley’s three years.

Beasley has been impressive, but Trent has improved at the same rate Beasley did and is two years younger, while having a bit more size than Beasley.

Could you play small with Beasley/GTJ on the wing enough to justify paying both? Yeah.

Would I use my lottery pick on Beasley if I were Toronto considering my starting center was a just-decent Boucher and my 35 year old Lowry might be leaving? Probably not the best use of limited assets. If I’m looking to add talent I’d probably be calling a team with a center or a point guard available. Goal should be to keep FVV in same role if Lowry does leave IMO.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Wolveswin » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:07 am

jayjaysee wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Gary Trent Jr is two years younger than Beasley and is a RFA so will likely be locked up for 4 years vs Beasley’s three years.

Beasley has been impressive, but Trent has improved at the same rate Beasley did and is two years younger, while having a bit more size than Beasley.

Could you play small with Beasley/GTJ on the wing enough to justify paying both? Yeah.

Would I use my lottery pick on Beasley if I were Toronto considering my starting center was a just-decent Boucher and my 35 year old Lowry might be leaving? Probably not the best use of limited assets. If I’m looking to add talent I’d probably be calling a team with a center or a point guard available. Goal should be to keep FVV in same role if Lowry does leave IMO.

I was comparing Beasley to Hood.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#15 » by Resistance » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:50 am

Wolveswin wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Maybe not. And maybe someone who can quote stats will come in here and show which player is better. But obvious answer is who is younger and locked in and carries more value? Is that worth a 5 slot swap?

OG is making $3.87 million this season and $16.07 million next season. Trent is making $1.66 million this season and quite a bit more next season. Maybe Lowry stays and maybe he leaves.

Next season, Baynes is a $7.3 million Team Option and Hood is $10.85 million unguaranteed. If they drop both Baynes and Hood, improving at at center should be a higher priority than bringing in Beasley at $14.39 million to come off of the bench.

A rotation of OG, Trent and Beasley would be nice at SG/SF, but Toronto probably wants to improve in other areas before committing to a relatively expensive bench player in Beasley.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:35 am

Wolveswin wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Maybe not. And maybe someone who can quote stats will come in here and show which player is better. But obvious answer is who is younger and locked in and carries more value? Is that worth a 5 slot swap?

Oh. But why though?

Toronto should be letting Hood walk instead of paying him 10 million next season.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,367

Post#17 » by Saul Goodman » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:21 pm

I think unless Towns goes full Anthony Davis Harden scorched earth that Minnesota should hold on. A core of Edwards/Suggs or Cade/ Beasley along with Towns in a non crappy covid year with a full year under Finch has a lot of potential for the future.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#18 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:52 pm

pipfan wrote:Let's say Minny keeps their pick, and at 1-3 they get Suggs. He's from Minnestoa and could be the face of the franchise moving forward.

GS needs to win now, with Curry ending his prime. Towns could be a perfect fit as the #2 guy there, and is young enough to build around once Green/Curry/Thompson are gone

Beasley/Towns for Minny's pick back, Wiseman, GS's 1st (somewhere between 10-15), plus Wiggins

The $ is about even. GS moves Thompson to the 3, and has the best shooting lineup possible. Beasley/Thompson would get TONS of open looks around Curry and Towns. With health, that team would be a contender

Minny starts fresh-they build around Wiseman, Suggs, Edwards as their big three. Plus they would have Okoge, Culver, McDaniels, Reid, Hernangomez as young pieces to support their big three, and the GS pick. Finally, they would get their pick back for 2022. Obviously, they wouldn't want Wiggins back, but he would only have 2 years left-maybe they could move him for another bad contract, or even buy him out.

I like it. Minnesota should erase any memories of unfortunate past from its roster. Trade Beasley/Towns and waive both Russel and Wiggins. Suggs/Edwards/Okogie/Wiseman should have a chance to start their new era.
FK NFL
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Post#19 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:07 pm

E S V L wrote:
pipfan wrote:Let's say Minny keeps their pick, and at 1-3 they get Suggs. He's from Minnestoa and could be the face of the franchise moving forward.

I like it. Minnesota should erase any memories of unfortunate past from its roster. Trade Beasley/Towns and waive both Russel and Wiggins. Suggs/Edwards/Okogie/Wiseman should have a chance to start their new era.

You should refrain from posting in topics about Minnesota if you don't even know the roster...

Source: Waiving Andrew Wiggins

Why can't Towns be part of the new Era? This line of thinking is hilarious.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#20 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:26 pm

Colbinii wrote:You should refrain from posting in topics about Minnesota if you don't even know the roster...

Source: Waiving Andrew Wiggins

Why can't Towns be part of the new Era? This line of thinking is hilarious.

Check please OP`s suggestions re Wiggins.

Re Towns, he has been in a looser mode for too long. It`s time for a fresh start. Suggs-Edwards-Okogie-1st 2022-Wiseman would become a generational squad-contender as soon as in 2023-2024.
FK NFL

Return to Trades and Transactions