Highest pick you'd give for Jalen Brunson?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Highest pick you'd give for Jalen Brunson? 

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:52 am

Excellent backup pg for the mavs, some see his as a starter, he's also still on a rookie deal next year. Assuming the mavs wanted to get in the first round, what's the highest pick he could fetch
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,766

Re: Highest pick you'd give for Jalen Brunson? 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:08 am

For the record this would only make sense for Dallas if they were trying to make a bigger trade and the seller preferred a pick to Brunson. Dallas definitely shouldn't be trading one of their best players for a late 1st which is the best they could get.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#3 » by eminence » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:12 am

Depends on the team of course. For a team like Utah that's trying to be competitive now and there's at least some danger of Conley leaving in FA I could be convinced of giving up quite a solid pick, up into the mid teens. Obviously Utah doesn't actually have that pick, so it'd have to be some sort of future pick.

Generally doesn't make sense to move him for Dallas imo.
I bought a boat.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#4 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:31 am

Texas Chuck wrote:For the record this would only make sense for Dallas if they were trying to make a bigger trade and the seller preferred a pick to Brunson. Dallas definitely shouldn't be trading one of their best players for a late 1st which is the best they could get.

So u want to big money next summer for a backup?
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#5 » by ThatBoyNick » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:49 am

I'd say a pick in the 29-34 range, or a pick in the 23-28 range with the Mavs sending a future 2nd or two attached to him.

It would just depend on how much the team likes him vs the BPA, and vice versa for the Mavs. Him being an expiring contract on draft night obviously hampers his value.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#6 » by Resistance » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:55 am

Other than Denver (Currently #24) and Philadelphia (#27), there doesn't project to be any late 2021 firsts available in a trade for Brunson.

Denver has Monte morris on a multi year deal, so would expect them to hesitate sending out a first for another backup PG.

No idea on what Philadlephia will decide to do with the trio of Hill, Maxey and Shake.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,787

Post#7 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:57 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:For the record this would only make sense for Dallas if they were trying to make a bigger trade and the seller preferred a pick to Brunson. Dallas definitely shouldn't be trading one of their best players for a late 1st which is the best they could get.

Him and Luka have shared the floor for 484 of Jalen's 1112 minutes and the Mavs are +7.3 Points per 100 in that time.

Brunson is also dynamite in a line-up with Richardson/Hardaway on the wings.

Brunson isn't just a back-up, he gives the Mavs 48 minutes of elite to good (Luka as elite, Brunson as good) Point Guard play. In the minutes they share together Brunson's off-ball game, notably catch and shoot game, shines brightest.

The issue for the Mavs becomes at what cost does he come at in 2023.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:21 am

I think he is worth a non-lottery first.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,973

Post#9 » by wolves_89 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:25 am

If Brunson's team keeps him at $1.8M next season, I believe he becomes an unrestricted free agent in the 2022 off-season. If his team wants to keep his RFA rights they are going to have to decline his 2021-22 non-guaranteed contract and resign him to a more expensive deal as a restricted free agent this coming off-season. I would guess that depresses his value a bit.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#10 » by Buzzard » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:09 am

Atlanta/Schlenk likes to make his picks. He took Collins and Huerter at 19. I doubt Atlanta would trade 17 for Brunson.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#11 » by TBri1974 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:42 am

I think the Knicks might consider it... depends who falls and how workouts go (and if they see him as a starter).
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#12 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:12 am

reviewing the 2018 Draft ... Jalen would be the 13/16 selection (in my opinion) in terms of production ... at least there are 10 teams where, he would be a starter ...
If it were Pistons (could play alongside Hayes) /Thunder/Houston ...
I'd be after him. Knicks return 21 pick to Dallas?
The Warriors, in something bigger (they also take KP)
Thunder for Dort?
1+1=11
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:21 pm

wolves_89 wrote:If Brunson's team keeps him at $1.8M next season, I believe he becomes an unrestricted free agent in the 2022 off-season. If his team wants to keep his RFA rights they are going to have to decline his 2021-22 non-guaranteed contract and resign him to a more expensive deal as a restricted free agent this coming off-season. I would guess that depresses his value a bit.

Bad news. Because Brunson is non-guaranteed (I don’t think there’s also a team option, according to BballInsiders), then he has to be waived, and clear waivers, to be re-signed long-term, and he wouldn’t be restricted at that point, as he would have been waived. Also, he’s guaranteed to be claimed by many teams on waivers, so he’d never clear.

He’s pretty much on a deal that guarantees he plays out the 4th year, and hits unrestricted free agency as a 2nd rounder. This is where a team option would have been better in structure than a non-guaranteed year.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#14 » by ThatBoyNick » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:If Brunson's team keeps him at $1.8M next season, I believe he becomes an unrestricted free agent in the 2022 off-season. If his team wants to keep his RFA rights they are going to have to decline his 2021-22 non-guaranteed contract and resign him to a more expensive deal as a restricted free agent this coming off-season. I would guess that depresses his value a bit.

Bad news. Because Brunson is non-guaranteed (I don’t think there’s also a team option, according to BballInsiders), then he has to be waived, and clear waivers, to be re-signed long-term, and he wouldn’t be restricted at that point, as he would have been waived. Also, he’s guaranteed to be claimed by many teams on waivers, so he’d never clear.

He’s pretty much on a deal that guarantees he plays out the 4th year, and hits unrestricted free agency as a 2nd rounder. This is where a team option would have been better in structure than a non-guaranteed year.

What kind of extension is he eligible for?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,472

Post#15 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:38 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:What kind of extension is he eligible for?

This could be me being completely wrong, but going to go with it.

This seems correct - Since Dallas signed him using cap space, we will have full bird rights to offer up to his max.

This seems sketch - Also since Dallas signed him using cap space instead of rookie rights, there should be a door for a renegotiate and extend this offseason? Either with Dallas or with a team we trade him.

Not that that is a realistic path, but he seems eligible for a Covington-type contract this offseason.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#16 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:49 pm

Think similar situation to Schoder last year, only one or two non lotto teams could use him. A lotto team likely wouldn't trade their first for him.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,766

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:59 pm

Pinkyring wrote:

I don't know what "big money" is, but I'm happy to pay good players and Jalen Brunson is a good player. I don't honestly care about who starts the game. Jason Terry didn't start in Dallas.

But I do know I don't want the team giving up one of their 3 or 4 best players for a late 1st especially if the plan is to make a big splash in FA meaning THJ and Richardson both likely have to be sacrificed and the team will need all the quality depth it can get.

I'm trying to build the best team and that's simply much easier with Brunson than with the 25th best prospect in the draft.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,881

Post#18 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:27 pm

I think Brunson is showing himself worth a long term spot in DAL. He is just so solid. Could be the 4th option on a good team IMO. Thats better than selling him for a pick, at best, in the high-to-mid 20's.

Dallas doesnt have to pay him until 2022 when they almost certainly will be a over-the-cap team for the foreseeable future. Mark isnt scared to spend when the team has playoff potential, and they certainly will for years. I think he should be seen as a keeper.

That 4 year SRP deal they gave Brunson is going to look genius. If they gave him a standard 3 year deal, they dont really have cap space this summer. Or at least significant cap space.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,011

Post#19 » by R-DAWG » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:30 pm

It honestly depends on what contract extention he would consider signing. Dallas will have the right, i believe, to make him an RFA or keep him on the books at a low number next year but make him a UFA the following year.

If it's a sign a trade deal where you can lock him in for 4 years at a contract similar to what Seth Curry signed a few years ago - somewhere between the taxpayer and on taxpayer MLE - that makes him a lot more valuable then if your either letting him go UFA the following year or have to go to the $12-14MM per year range to retain him. At $12MM per year, I wouldn't give up anything besides a 2nd rd pick.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:49 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:What kind of extension is he eligible for?

This could be me being completely wrong, but going to go with it.

This seems correct - Since Dallas signed him using cap space, we will have full bird rights to offer up to his max.

This seems sketch - Also since Dallas signed him using cap space instead of rookie rights, there should be a door for a renegotiate and extend this offseason? Either with Dallas or with a team we trade him.

Not that that is a realistic path, but he seems eligible for a Covington-type contract this offseason.

If he hits free agency, this is correct.

As an extension? He’s eligible for 120% of his current salary, or 120% of the league average salary, whichever is greater (this would be closer to $12m in year one).

Return to Trades and Transactions