Orlando/Dallas: Off-season deal

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Orlando/Dallas: Off-season deal 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:11 pm

Ill offer this idea for:
-Orlando to acquire further picks assuming they select a wing that would displace need for T-Ross
-Dallas lands a value based SG/SF who can start as it gives them insurance if THJ and Richardson sign elsewhere as UFAs

To Orlando
-Dwight Powell (2 years, $22 million)
-2022 Dallas 2nd
-2027 Dallas 1st

To Dallas
-Terrence Ross (2 years, $24 million)
-2027 Orlando 2nd

Why?
The Magic swap out a SG/SF for a PF/C on almost identical money while getting a 2nd and swapping a distant 2nd for a 1st. This is under assumption that the Magic draft a 2 and a 3 with their 2021 1sts between their own the the Bulls 1st

Fultz/Anthony/Hampton
Harris/Bulls 1st/Bacon
1st/Okeke/FA?
Isaac/FA?/2nd
Carter/Bamba/Powell

-The Mavs land a veteran SG/SF who can start as he provides insurance and value against pending UFA THJ and Richardson

Doncic/Burke/Brunson/Terry
Ross/Green
Richardson?/Smith/FA?
Kleber/Meli?/FA?
Porzingis/Stein/Marjanovic?
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Orlando/Dallas: Off-season deal 

Post#2 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:16 pm

This is absurd Terrence ross isnt a starter nor worth a first
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,981

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:21 pm

Dallas isnt sacrificing a first here for Ross, just not worth it even with dumping Powell. They can/should resign Richardson and THJ
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,328

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:29 pm

You never trade an unprotected pick for a player as marginal as Terrence Ross particularly that far out where Luka could be gone.

And my usual reminder that Dwight Powell is 2/$22M after this season. He's not some giant albatross Dallas needs to be dumping at all costs. It's a bad contract no doubt, and very much a self-inflicted wound, but not something that can't be overcome.

Unprotected picks 6 years down the road need a much more significant return to justify.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:38 pm

Pinkyring wrote:This is absurd Terrence ross isnt a starter nor worth a first

Sure, If the OP was Ross for Powell + 2 2nds, the narrative from Magic fans would be "This is absurd"
Texas Chuck

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:54 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:This is absurd Terrence ross isnt a starter nor worth a first

Sure, If the OP was Ross for Powell + 2 2nds, the narrative from Magic fans would be "This is absurd"

Yes.

Dwight Powell is just a bad piece to put in a trade. Other teams are going to rightfully see him as largely dead money and Dallas sees him as a sunk cost not worth using one of their few assets to dump.

He's essentially Andrew Wiggins on a much smaller scale.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#7 » by orlando_joe » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:38 am

the question should be what would it would cost dallas to move powell..draft pick wise ..no money coming back? 2 yrs 11 mill each ...then is ross alone worth a real late first? 2-high 2nds? one 2nd pick in 50s?
i know i would have gave 2-2nds to dump 1 yr of aminu at 10 mill..but would not trade a first that far out with no protection
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,376

Post#8 » by jayjaysee » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:43 am

If Dallas owned our 2021 first, I think we’d do the OP with it instead of the 2027.

But not our 2027. Even if you put protections on it (and they’d be very Dallas friendly since it’s so far out would only be able to last a year)... Ross isn’t worth tying up future firsts considering we are already short.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#9 » by Apz » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:54 am

Im saving that pick, thank u very much.

Honestly, i might be the biggest powell basher on these boards, but I think he starts to look a bit better. He will never live up to the contract, but if he can continue to get back...well, lets say he wouldnt have a contract i think soon some teams would had been willing to give him 5-6m and would half the overpayment. He jumps and stuff now, maybe he just been scared to use that leg fully, wouldnt be the first sportsman that been careful after coming back from injury.

I still dont think he is good and never will think that, just want to make that clear. But atleast he doesnt feel like dead money anymore
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#10 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:27 pm

The Magic front office will likely try to win as much as the can next year, and Ross can help win games. They definitely wouldn't want to wait 5 years for a first round pick. They'd probably want Josh Green, an expiring, and a 2nd for him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Texas Chuck

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:27 pm

basketballRob wrote:The Magic front office will likely try to win as much as the can next year, and Ross can help win games. They definitely wouldn't want to wait 5 years for a first round pick. They'd probably want Josh Green, an expiring, and a 2nd for him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

If you want to tell me the terms of the trade are Dwight Powell, Josh Green and a 2nd then sure I think you can sell Dallas on that. But Dallas would have to cut into cap space since there isn't an expiring to send back at this point and I don't see how Dallas justifies paying that for Ross.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 709

Post#12 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:36 pm

I don't want Ross, ... I think THJ deserves to come back ..
Powell + Terry + 2 Round for G.Harris ...

Mavs don't have to bring JRich back ... or use him on a (ST), if he wants to trade above the limit.
Harris is expiring, he's younger than JRich .. (Harris / JRich in his prime ... I'll stick with Harris) ...

Magic .. You get savings this year, to be able to absorb any contract + for assets.
A prospect, raw but with potential ... and 2 rounds for the chest
1+1=11
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#13 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:15 am

You could see Ross help DAL win a playoff game or two by getting hot in the Carlisle offense. Just not the upgrade I’d swing for if I were them. I do think they need a 4th guard and should keep Luka at the 3
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#14 » by orlando_joe » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:41 am

Mike lorenzo wrote:I don't want Ross, ... I think THJ deserves to come back ..
Powell + Terry + 2 Round for G.Harris ...

Mavs don't have to bring JRich back ... or use him on a (ST), if he wants to trade above the limit.
Harris is expiring, he's younger than JRich .. (Harris / JRich in his prime ... I'll stick with Harris) ...

Magic .. You get savings this year, to be able to absorb any contract + for assets.
A prospect, raw but with potential ... and 2 rounds for the chest

magic will most likely draft a guard have a bunch now no need for terry or one more 2nd rd pick they wont use
not worth it to add money in 22-23 season..harris is young still and magic will just see if he has anything left or let him expire
Texas Chuck

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:49 pm

dakomish23 wrote: should keep Luka at the 3

Huh? He's literally only played the 1.

Now defensively they are going to try and protect him obviously so he's going to guard 2-4 depending on matchups, but if he isnt a point guard nobody is a point guard.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#16 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:00 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

Now defensively they are going to try and protect him obviously so he's going to guard 2-4 depending on matchups, but if he isnt a point guard nobody is a point guard.

I see him as a point forward like Lebron with two guards in the backcourt

Ultimately the position titles are meaningless. I think they should aim for a very good 4 guard rotation besides Luka if that makes it clearer. Brunson THJ off the bench and Richardson as a starter gets you almost there

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Texas Chuck

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:10 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Ultimately the position titles are meaningless. I think they should aim for a very good 4 guard rotation besides Luka if that makes it clearer. Brunson THJ off the bench and Richardson as a starter gets you almost there

They are meaningless but considering the Mavs starting lineup I don't know how Luka isn't a guard. I love Maxi and Dorian and they are versatile, but they aren't guards. :D And Richardson has some on-ball skills but he's definitely not a point.

And Rick Carlisle made it crystal clear from the moment he arrived, that Luka was his point guard so I'm always confused when I see people calling him anything else. I get he's big, but Magic was big, Penny was big, etc
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#18 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

They are meaningless but considering the Mavs starting lineup I don't know how Luka isn't a guard. I love Maxi and Dorian and they are versatile, but they aren't guards. :D And Richardson has some on-ball skills but he's definitely not a point.

And Rick Carlisle made it crystal clear from the moment he arrived, that Luka was his point guard so I'm always confused when I see people calling him anything else. I get he's big, but Magic was big, Penny was big, etc

Yeah right now clearly he'd be considered a guard for the assumed startling lineup.

I'd like to add a 2nd guard to that lineup and push DFS to the bench. Maybe also add another starting caliber PF. Would be my goals if I was them. But this has been my thing for a while for DAL back to the 2019 FA (Randle & Brogdon) & this trade deadline (Oladipo & Tucker, maybe he isn't anymore).

If they had the space I'd make a full court press for Ball / Collins.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#19 » by Apz » Fri Apr 9, 2021 7:44 pm

What would a 2nd guard do for mavs? Unless u talking 40%+ 3p% and great defender 6.5 or taller. Thats like the only way i can see another guarf on court. Like 2 40% 3p% guards, luka with the ball, klebers 40% and def in pf slot and KPs shooting at center. Then 5 out and have luka drive every posession and either kickout or finish.

Not realistic tho. Hard to find that player so will do with dfs 37% and size and defense
Texas Chuck

Post#20 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 9, 2021 7:53 pm

Apz wrote:What would a 2nd guard do for mavs?

I would argue a 2nd playmaker is still a need for Dallas. It particularly rears its head at the end of games when Dallas offense becomes Luka dribbling around and eventually hoisting a difficult shot more times than not. Another playmaker on the weak side would really help. Plus Luka is going to miss games and we've seen how difficult offense is to come by.

Luka is incredible, but the idea cannot be Luka does it all and so we only surround him with shooters and a rim runner. Dirk was also an incredible offensive anchor but there was a reason they swapped young Devin Harris for old Jason Kidd.

Return to Trades and Transactions