KP 4 CJ

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

so, how's the deal?

Good for both! you're not such an idiot after all
8%
Bad for Dallas
19%
Bad for Portland
46%
Bad for both - not salvageable- You live up to your username, once again
12%
How bout adding a 3rd team sending CJ elsewhere? please elaborate
8%
How bout adding a 3rd team sending KP elsewhere? please elaborate
8%

Total votes: 26

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

KP 4 CJ 

Post#1 » by Village Idiot » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:38 am

simple straight up deal. Two guys with basically the same contract.

The fit isn't perfect, age for CJ, injury and passiveness for KP but it make each team better IMHO.

Dallas gets a guy who is great with the ball in his hands but even better off-ball. He seems like a perfect fit in the back-court next to Luka. They need a secondary playmaker so Luka doesn't have to (or feel the need to) do everything on his own.

Portland takes a risk on KP's health but the fit should be pretty darned good at PF next Nurk. Park KP at the corner 3 spot and he can either get a wide open 3 or an easy baseline lob on the 1-5 P+R if his man helps onto Dame or Nurk
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Re: KP 4 CJ 

Post#2 » by Apz » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:29 am

KP is center, blazers got centers. Same goes for sg at mavs.

And I dont see the fit. Luka needs someone that is a good defender next to him more then a 2nd ballhandler. Pretty sure mavs fans say send cj to another team and blazers fans say send kp to another team. In short, not salvageable since the players doesnt fill a need for their new team but creates holes in their old
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#3 » by Village Idiot » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:22 am

Apz wrote:KP is center, blazers got centers. Same goes for sg at mavs.

And I dont see the fit. Luka needs someone that is a good defender next to him more then a 2nd ballhandler. Pretty sure mavs fans say send cj to another team and blazers fans say send kp to another team. In short, not salvageable since the players doesnt fill a need for their new team but creates holes in their old
To me KP is a PF. Defensively Kleber guards the opposing center and KP ends up guarding (or trying to guard) whomever the opposing teams gets him to switch onto :wink: Offensively KP doesn't have the post game or mass to do much in the post. He isn't a great screen setter either. You want him off ball, cutting or on the roll, not posting up.

I understand your defensive concerns but if Brunson guards PG, CJ SG and Luka SF, you have a good trio of guys.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,462

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:00 pm

KP once upon a time was a top 2 rim protector in the league. Right next to Rudy and no one argued it.. He’s not right now, obviously. But his position on defense should be based on what he has demonstrated he’s capable of when healthy.

Maybe your goal is to split the center minutes with KP/Nurk and only play them 10 minutes a game together (or hope they play 82 games combined?)

Either way I don’t think either team does it. But I’d hope Dallas passes. CJ is fun to watch and skilled, but we have a large sample of him being a number 2 to a HOF level player and it has only worked out when Dame decided to be unsustainable.

CJ might have more value than KP due to health, but it makes it harder for Dallas to build around Luka (age/position)
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#5 » by E S V L » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:00 pm

It doesn’t look like a baseless one
FK NFL
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#6 » by aguiar95 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:13 pm

It scares me that KP almost played as much games as McCollum since joining the Mavs (counting rests on B2B). Playoffs will probably tell a lot about the offseason. KP doesn't mesh with Luka and that's a problem. Last night he didn't attempt a single field goal in the 4th quarter. If CJ is the best we can find I'll probably do it if we have a center signed in the offseason (we don't need THJ if we're getting CJ). Not sure Blazers FO has the balls to separate their backourt (even though it might be for the best).
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,355

Post#7 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:31 pm

The last thing POR needs is a big with chronic injuries.

I’d love to move CJ but don’t think this is the deal. DAL should absolutely take this deal.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:03 pm

If KP could play PF, and maybe he still could if not for the injuries (Assuming he eats the backup C minutes to balance him out), then I would probably do it. Albeit personality wise they are about as opposite as you can get in many ways.

I dont really understand Dallas thinking CJ isnt a good fit. He is the ideal secondary ballhandler who can create when needed and shoots the lights out on kickouts. The only thing that he doesnt fit is the age timeline.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#9 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:24 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:If KP could play PF, and maybe he still could if not for the injuries (Assuming he eats the backup C minutes to balance him out), then I would probably do it. Albeit personality wise they are about as opposite as you can get in many ways.

I dont really understand Dallas thinking CJ isnt a good fit. He is the ideal secondary ballhandler who can create when needed and shoots the lights out on kickouts. The only thing that he doesnt fit is the age timeline.

I don’t think many fans are excited about the prospect of trading for CJ due to age, defensive limitations and contract.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,707

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:30 pm

JRoy wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:If KP could play PF, and maybe he still could if not for the injuries (Assuming he eats the backup C minutes to balance him out), then I would probably do it. Albeit personality wise they are about as opposite as you can get in many ways.

I don’t think many fans are excited about the prospect of trading for CJ due to age, defensive limitations and contract.

Yeah excited wouldn't be my emotion, but I'm pretty over KP at this point so I think I would do this as Dallas.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#11 » by Pinkyring » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:52 pm

Cj doesn't make us better we have enough guards that can't defend so I'll pass
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#12 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:46 pm

Village Idiot wrote:

To me KP is a PF. Defensively Kleber guards the opposing center and KP ends up guarding (or trying to guard) whomever the opposing teams gets him to switch onto :wink: Offensively KP doesn't have the post game or mass to do much in the post. He isn't a great screen setter either. You want him off ball, cutting or on the roll, not posting up.

I understand your defensive concerns but if Brunson guards PG, CJ SG and Luka SF, you have a good trio of guys.

KP actually does have a post game. His problem is lack of mass as you stated and the fact that he doesn’t demand the ball in the post. He needs to be more aggressive and not defer so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRoy
RealGM

Post#13 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:12 pm

Mr B wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:

KP actually does have a post game. His problem is lack of mass as you stated and the fact that he doesn’t demand the ball in the post. He needs to be more aggressive and not defer so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let him become more aggressive in DAL.
Edrees wrote:

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#14 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:20 pm

I don't see how a guard who can't play a lick of D is the perfect guy to pair with Luka. I'm all for a KP trade, but definitely not for CJ
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,707

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:37 pm

daoneandonly wrote:I don't see how a guard who can't play a lick of D is the perfect guy to pair with Luka. I'm all for a KP trade, but definitely not for CJ

OP acknowledges the fit isn't perfect. Perfect would be pre-injury Klay Thompson.

The question to be answered for me would be Jalen Brunson related. How close to CJ can Jalen become? What is Jalen going to cost on his next contract? What value does Jalen have in a potential trade for a big if they were going to swap KP for CJ?

Because Jalen is starting to convince me he can be a 3rd option 6th man who also closes a lot of games next to Luka. And if he can do that and at half the cost of CJ then its probably better to do that and look elsewhere in a KP trade. But if he could be part of a package that returned something good then maybe its worth making the swap in the OP just because it eliminates all the risk and noise that surrounds KP.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#16 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:46 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:I don't see how a guard who can't play a lick of D is the perfect guy to pair with Luka. I'm all for a KP trade, but definitely not for CJ

OP acknowledges the fit isn't perfect. Perfect would be pre-injury Klay Thompson.

The question to be answered for me would be Jalen Brunson related. How close to CJ can Jalen become? What is Jalen going to cost on his next contract? What value does Jalen have in a potential trade for a big if they were going to swap KP for CJ?

Because Jalen is starting to convince me he can be a 3rd option 6th man who also closes a lot of games next to Luka. And if he can do that and at half the cost of CJ then its probably better to do that and look elsewhere in a KP trade. But if he could be part of a package that returned something good then maybe its worth making the swap in the OP just because it eliminates all the risk and noise that surrounds KP.

It seemed like the op only acknowledged cj's age as the reason the fit may not be ideal. I also think on the court it's not a good pairing, cj is a putrid defender, so want no part of him
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#17 » by JD45 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:39 pm

CJ is a very good player, but I don't think I would do it for the Mavs. It would leave the Mavs with needing more bigs. They don't have any guards as good as CJ, but they have some that are serviceable. The guard upgrade would not be as much as the Center downgrade. And CJ is a little bit older.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat

Return to Trades and Transactions