Wolves/Bulls/Thunder

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Wolves/Bulls/Thunder 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:37 pm

Wolves trade: Rubio/Culver/Hernangomez/Layman
Wolves get: Horford/Satoransky/21 MIN 2nd

Bulls trade: Satoransky/Aminu
Bulls get: Rubio/Layman

Thunder trade: Horford/21 MIN 2nd
Thunder get: Aminu(buyout)/Culver/Hernangomez

Wolves go get a couple of veterans who play the right way at both ends and pick up the top pick in the 2nd round to add another young piece. Horford is the backup center, plays a few minutes a half with Towns, and is in Towns ear constantly helping him with all the little things and building his confidence. Sato a perfect backup guard who can play with any of the other 3.

Bulls go get a true PG who complements LaVine perfectly. Layman affordable deep depth for a year. Doesn't preclude still going after Ball if they want.

Thunder save some money and take a look at Culver. Hernangomez can give them some minutes without hurting a tank.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Re: Wolves/Bulls/Thunder 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:43 pm

I do this but I probably like Culver more than some and see him as actual value here
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:51 pm

For OKC don't see an issue, and they might even try to rehab Aminu some.

If the Wolves want to try KAT at the 4 seems fine there too.

Think my main question is the Bulls. I like Rubio there in general, but not totally sure I see him as a big enough upgrade from Sato to just replace him if that makes sense. Ideally I'd want both to be there instead of just one or the other, but their salaries aren't really allowing it in a way I can see that makes a ton of sense.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#4 » by daoneandonly » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:52 pm

I think its too good for OKC. Granted, Im higher on Culver's potential than most, but I think we can Al agree Horford is a massive negative, so this is way too easy of an out from that contract
Texas Chuck

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:12 pm

daoneandonly wrote: but I think we can Al agree Horford is a massive negative,

I don't actually. And if you look at the salaries in the deal, the Wolves are effectively paying him under $10M next season where he represents good value. It's that final year that's less attractive, but if they take the buyout option its basically a wash there too with the only loss some players they aren't likely to miss and if they keep him its because they decide he is worth the expense.

His contract isn't positive, but they aren't taking it all on without moving off some money of their own.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,289

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:29 pm

the wolves need upgrade at the forwards... this trade strips them of the little depth they have there. This also buries Reid on the depth chart. Don't see wolves going for this at all.

A simpler trade may be Rubio for Aminu + Sato?
Texas Chuck

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:36 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:the wolves need upgrade at the forwards... this trade strips them of the little depth they have there. This also buries Reid on the depth chart. Don't see wolves going for this at all.

A simpler trade may be Rubio for Aminu + Sato?

My plan was to have Reid and Beasley available to trade for a SF, but you are right that the simpler deal is cleaner and more logical and just frankly better.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Post#8 » by shrink » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:22 pm

I think both deals make sense directionally.

I love Rubio in CHI. He started the season poorly, but he has played very well the last 20-25 games, when he became a starter. I haven’t looked at the full stats, but I recall he’s had 23 AST and 0 TO in his last three, and he’s been making his three’s again. He has experience as a starting PG the last two seasons with PHX and UTA, but more importantly, he has experience maximizing Zach LaVine. He already knows where Zach likes the ball, and I feel he helped both Donovan Mitchell and Devin Booker make leaps to stardom. Maybe that would work with LaVine, maybe not, but it’s certainly worth the gamble right now, especially at this price.

I think if I ran the Wolves, I would prefer Sato and Aminu, but I believe Horford has been a friend of Towns for many years, with their Caribbean connection. Horford would be a good role model off the court, and on the court, he had an early version of what Towns can do (better) now.

Juancho has been all over, after recovering from Covid, with some recent good games sprinkled in with mostly bad ones. He’s a negative contract, but not horrible since he’s not too expensive and his final year is unguaranteed. I think Culver could be much better in OKC. He has talent, with length, a handle, defensive ability, and a great work ethic, but I have never seen anyone where one bad shot will ruin his night. Culver grew up in Lubbock, played college there, and Minneapolis is his first time away from his family. Maybe if they were closer (OKC-to-Lubbock is only 5 hours), he could become something. I imagine Rosas would love to get back into next year’s draft.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#9 » by SmokeyPaw » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:41 pm

The simpler aminu and sato for rubio works fir the wolves.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,919

Post#10 » by ChettheJet » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:36 pm

I guess the Bulls would rather do the original trade, getting Layman gives them an option at the SF. But the simple plan would be OK not better. Also with no pick next year Layman would be a younger low cost bench player on the roster which is losing several older guys.

It would have to be a coaching decision to have Rubio exclusively bring the ball up, right now Zach does it half the time and passes if he doesn't have his own play. I would hope Rubio would take some of the playmaking away from Thad Young because of late he makes too many soft passes in tight situations like he's either overconfident or tired. I think defenses would respect Rubio to make the play more than Satoransky and not turn their heads looking for him and losing their man.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,476

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:08 am

ChettheJet wrote:I guess the Bulls would rather do the original trade, getting Layman gives them an option at the SF. But the simple plan would be OK not better. Also with no pick next year Layman would be a younger low cost bench player on the roster which is losing several older guys.

I don’t think adding Layman would stop Minnesota from doing the smaller version. With or without that trade, Minnesota should be looking for an upgrade at the forward spot this offseason.

I think all three teams would do the OP though. I like Rubio in Chicago and like Horford in Minnesota. Think Sato would be kind of wasted on a team with Beas, DLo, Edwards, and hopefully Cade/Suggs. But still a smart player that plays within his game. I’d probably send Reid to OKC? They could use a young big man and Minnesota wouldn’t have meaningful minutes for him.

I do see Chuck said shopping Reid and Beas for a forward, but I’d see if I could get a first from OKC (instead of the Minn 2nd) if I included Reid, and look to package that with Beasley. Maybe that’s pushing Reid’s value, but feel like the OP was pretty good for OKC so it’s possible.
letsgobulls23
Pro Prospect
And1: 510

Post#12 » by letsgobulls23 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:02 pm

I'd pass personally. Value is fine, but I like Sato's versatility.

Return to Trades and Transactions