[CHI - NOP] double S+T, Lauri for Lonzo

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,291

[CHI - NOP] double S+T, Lauri for Lonzo 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:45 am

Chicago trades: Lauri Markkenen (S+T)
New Orleans trades: Lonzo Ball (S+T)

Why Chicago does it: Lonzo gives them a perimeter defender that can bomb away from three and be a linking piece between Vuc/LaVine. Lauri is just a terrible fit on their team as-constituted.

Why New Orleans does it: on the other end of the spectrum, New Orleans has a billion guards and no floor-spacing bigs to help out Zion. Lonzo seemingly wants out (maybe that's not true, but if we believe rumblings about LaVar saying he does) and Lauri is actually a nice fit.

Both teams don't lose their guy for nothing.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Re: [CHI - NOP] double S+T, Lauri for Lonzo 

Post#2 » by Rockazoids » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:57 am

I don't think NOP wants to pay a backup 4/5 around $20 M in a S & T. What are they going to do bring Adams off the bench
making $ 17 M?
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:05 am

Rockazoids wrote:I don't think NOP wants to pay a backup 4/5 around $20 M in a S & T. What are they going to do bring Adams off the bench
making $ 17 M?

Yes, that is absolutely what they should do (bring Adams off the bench) regardless of if it is for a stretch center that fits with Lonzo (I like Thomas Bryant in New Orleans a lot, too), or for Jaxson Hayes.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:38 am

i see NOP offering bledsoe + pick(s) for markkanen, not ball.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#5 » by meekrab » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:32 am

Godaddycurse wrote:i see NOP offering bledsoe + pick(s) for markkanen, not ball.

(First round?) Pick(s) for Markkanen? You are officially the high bidder.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:06 am

Godaddycurse wrote:i see NOP offering bledsoe + pick(s) for markkanen, not ball.

Chicago would probably be better off just letting Lauri walk, then.

JColl
slos
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#7 » by slos » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:52 am

If Lauri is a bad fit for Vuc, what does this make him for Zion? Value is OK, but New Orleans should hang on to Ball.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#8 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:04 pm

I don't like the fit..yes, Lauri spaces the floor ... but doesn't defend .. If I am NOP I will stay with Ball. Trying to change Adams (although I think it is underrated). they have the assets to go after..Turner / KP even Boucher ... they seem like better settings
1+1=11
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#9 » by Smirk » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:40 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Chicago trades: Lauri Markkenen (S+T)
New Orleans trades: Lonzo Ball (S+T)

Why Chicago does it: Lonzo gives them a perimeter defender that can bomb away from three and be a linking piece between Vuc/LaVine. Lauri is just a terrible fit on their team as-constituted.

Why New Orleans does it: on the other end of the spectrum, New Orleans has a billion guards and no floor-spacing bigs to help out Zion. Lonzo seemingly wants out (maybe that's not true, but if we believe rumblings about LaVar saying he does) and Lauri is actually a nice fit.

Both teams don't lose their guy for nothing.

Definitely not interested for NOP.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,250

Post#10 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:14 pm

I like it for Chicago, but think Ball has more value.

Quick question, what are the salary parameters for two teams operating under the cap in a S&T? How far apart can those salaries be? The Pelicans may not want to pay Ball 20 million a year, but if they get Lauri back at 14 million a year, they could do that simply because it's a good value deal and sell the idea they didn't lose Ball and got value back.

Obviously Lauri would have to be on board with that.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#11 » by Resistance » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:I like it for Chicago, but think Ball has more value.

Quick question, what are the salary parameters for two teams operating under the cap in a S&T? How far apart can those salaries be? The Pelicans may not want to pay Ball 20 million a year, but if they get Lauri back at 14 million a year, they could do that simply because it's a good value deal and sell the idea they didn't lose Ball and got value back.

Not seeing how either Chicago or New Orleans is operating under the salary cap with the cap holds for Theis, Markkanen, Hart, Ball etc
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#12 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:50 pm

Resistance wrote:

Not seeing how either Chicago or New Orleans is operating under the salary cap with the cap holds for Theis, Markkanen, Hart, Ball etc

For Chicago, it's incredibly easy for them to operate under the cap. I don't think they would hold on to Theis's cap hold, and they have partial guarantee contracts for Thad and Sato that would quickly gain them capspace.

Or the dozen of trades they could make to do so.
Resistance
General Manager

Post#13 » by Resistance » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Resistance wrote:

For Chicago, it's incredibly easy for them to operate under the cap. I don't think they would hold on to Theis's cap hold, and they have partial guarantee contracts for Thad and Sato that would quickly gain them capspace.

I went scorched earth on the Chicago roster. Used a salary cap of $112.4 million and minimum salary cap holds at $921,850 each.

Vučević, Zach LaVine, Al-Farouq Aminu, Patrick Williams, Coby White, Troy Brown Jr. = $72,114,124

Lauri Markkanen $20,194,524 (cap hold)

Min Salary Cap Hold #1, Min Salary Cap Hold #2, Min Salary Cap Hold #3, Min Salary Cap Hold #4, Min Salary Cap Hold #5 = $5,531,100

Partial Guarantee Buyouts
Thaddeus Young $6,000,000.....Tomáš Satoranský $5,000,000

Total $108,839,748

With a salary cap of $112.4 million, there is approximately $3.6 million in cap space. Not really that much cap space.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#14 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:45 pm

Resistance wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Resistance wrote:

I went scorched earth on the Chicago roster. Used a salary cap of $112.4 million and minimum salary cap holds at $921,850 each.

Vučević, Zach LaVine, Al-Farouq Aminu, Patrick Williams, Coby White, Troy Brown Jr. = $72,114,124

Min Salary Cap Hold #1, Min Salary Cap Hold #2, Min Salary Cap Hold #3, Min Salary Cap Hold #4, Min Salary Cap Hold #5 = $5,531,100

Total $108,839,748

With a salary cap of $112.4 million, there is approximately $3.6 million in cap space. Not really that much cap space.

Are you counting Lauri's cap hold and Ball's incoming salary at the same time?

Is this a grand process of getting us closer to the original question?
Resistance
General Manager

Post#15 » by Resistance » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Resistance wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

Total $108,839,748

I don't see where I included Ball since I am counting Markkanen with his cap hold. The cap hold for Markkanen is is close enough to the $20 million salary slated for Ball, so just delete his name and replace it with Ball. Or subtract the difference between the cap hold and the $20 million from the Total of $108,839,748 if you want that type of precision.

Operating as a cap space team will only provide for a Room Exception rather than a full MLE. Considering how many holes need to be filled on the roster, not sure if being a cap space team is the best path.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#16 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:22 pm

Resistance wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Total $108,839,748

I don't see where I included Ball since I am counting Markkanen with his cap hold. The cap hold for Markkanen is is close enough to the $20 million salary slated for Ball, so just delete his name and replace it with Ball. Or subtract the difference between the cap hold and the $20 million from the Total of $108,839,748 if you want that type of precision.

Operating as a cap space team will only provide for a Room Exception rather than a full MLE. Considering how many holes need to be filled on the roster, not sure if being a cap space team is the best path.

Not seeing how either Chicago is operating under the salary cap with the cap holds for Theis, Markkanen,

I'm, seemingly against my best interests of time management, arguing against your original "Well AUUUCCTTTUUALLLLYYY" statement of working under the cap. Sounds like we now both agree, that statement is false. I think. Not sure the intent, but it certainly didn't have anything to do with my original question, sooooo...there's that.

Carry on, I suppose.
Resistance
General Manager

Post#17 » by Resistance » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:41 pm

Traditionally, the new season/year for transactions starts on July 1. This year it appears that it will be pushed back to August second. The deadline for the decisons on the contracts of Satoransky and Thad will be August 1 with Free Agency starting about a week later.

If they decide to waive Satoransky and Thad to carve out cap space, it could turn out to be not so nice if the free agents available to sign with cap space are no better than Thad and Satoransky.

Quick question, what are the salary parameters for two teams operating under the cap in a S&T? How far apart can those salaries be?

If cap space is being used, then salary matching within certain parameters

* 175% + $100,000
* + $5 million
* 125% +$100,000

isn't necessary. Just don't go over $100,000 of the salary cap.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#18 » by ChettheJet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:17 pm

In the original double S&T people talk about value, it's not about one being worth more than the other. You give one guy who doesn't fit for you and get another who you think does. They don't have to be equal, what you're getting is what mtters so to give up a guy you could potentially lose for nothing is irrelevant

babyjax13 wrote:

Chicago would probably be better off just letting Lauri walk, then.

If the Bulls get 2 picks to replace the two they just gave up in the Vucevic deal they do this happily. OK they get a somewhat expensive Bledsoe who maybe finds a way to fit in with the Bulls, getting traded a couple of time under the same contract can get some player's attention. They can follow up with trading Coby White and/or Satoransky for either a forward to play next to Williams or a young less proven than Ball PG.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#19 » by NYG » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:37 am

Would New Orleans match 4/70 on Lonzo? That's about what the Bulls can offer renouncing everyone including Markkanen if they also waive Satoransky.

Vuc/Young/Williams/LaVine/Ball
6th Man: White

I could also see a scenario where Lauri gets sent to a third team like San Antonio (signed to a contract that decreases every year), Lonzo to Chicago (signed to the same first year salary as Lauri, but to a contract the increases every year) and the resulting TPE plus something minor like a 2024 Bulls second and reversing the 2021 second round swap rights for their troubles to New Orleans.
ADMVP
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#20 » by ADMVP » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:55 pm

We trade Lonzo for 2 2nds and cap? Or am I reading it wrong.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Return to Trades and Transactions