Wolves All-In for Ben Simmons

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,496

Wolves All-In for Ben Simmons 

Post#1 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:26 am

Assume 76ers crash and burn in playoffs and Wolves retain their 2021 1st.

Raptors:
Siakam + OG + FVV
FOR
Edwards + Harris + Rubio (expiring) + 2021 Wolves #3

76ers:
Simmons + Harris + Milton + 2021 1st
FOR
Siakam + OG + FVV

Wolves:
Edwards + Rubio + 2021 #3
FOR
Simmons + Milton + 2021 76ers 1st

76ers’ Harris is having a career year, what would Siakam look like next to Embiid? Could he be Harris on steroids (all NBA again).
Embiid
Siakam
OG
Thybulle | Curry (6th man)
FVV

Raptors full rebuild with Wolves top 3 pick and their 2021 1st. Harris can be showcased and flipped at some point for more rebuild assets.

Wolves get Simmons. I think he works just fine with Russell. Simmons ball-in-hand during transition (then PF and C in half court set), Russell ball-in-hand half court set while joining Simmons on the break.
Towns | Simmons | Reid
Simmons | Hernangomez
McDaniels | Okogie | Hernangomez
Beasley | Milton
Russell
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Wolves All-In for Ben Simmons 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:39 am

Uh, there’s a lot here. First, if you’re getting Simmons and only giving up Edwards, Rubio, and the #3 pick, I don’t think you can reasonably expect to also get Milton or the Philly 1st. Take those two out, and you’re reasonably in the right neighborhood of value.

With that said, it’s not great for Toronto, and makes little sense in both value and direction. You wanna say 3 for OG? Sure, probably about there. Edwards for Siakam? Maybe there. Tobias and Rubio for FVV? Value’s not there, unless Toronto really just loves Tobias, regardless of his contract. But mostly, the direction makes no sense. Is it rebuilding? Dealing Siakam and FVV make some sense, then, but dealing OG now doesn’t. OG and FVV (to a lesser extent) would still be key parts of a young core. But then, you have them adding Tobias, on a HUUUUUGE money deal, as an older vet that is a good player, but not someone to lead a young core. Rubio helps for a year as a vet, but he’s purely expiring filler in this type of deal. It just makes no sense as they bleed value in a rebuilding package to get vets, but deal vets for a rebuilding package? Just seems weird to me, and I think Toronto would have a hard time understanding this kind of thing.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,983

Post#3 » by zimpy27 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:40 am

Seems like a massive trade.

Couldn't Rubio/Beasley/FRP21/FRP23 be enough for Simmons if the Wolves get a top 3 pick?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,218

Post#4 » by Def Leppard » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 am

I don't feel Toronto should have a place in this trade

Sent from my SM-G981W using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,492

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:52 am

I don’t think Philly trades Simmons like this. Harris is playing extremely well.

Toronto gets two blue chips but might feel like they’re owed 3 since they trade 3 really great pieces, especially since Harris wouldn’t have the same value to them as he does to Philly. But Edwards and Suggs would be really awesome to start over with.

Minnesota should do it as is. Two potentially great young guys for one sure all NBA level player.

I’d maybe say cut Philly out, that way Toronto doesn’t have to pay Harris and Philly doesn’t have to give up Simmons..

But not sure Minnesota trades Edwards and Suggs for a perfect trio between KAT/DLo. Would understand them turning it down, but I really love the top 8 they’d have.

Think Philly passes and there’s no real way of fixing it for them.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:57 am

wouldn't give up OG if the plan is to tank and rebuild in Toronto.
JHFVF07
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#7 » by JHFVF07 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:12 am

I wouldnt trade Edwards and #3 for Simmons.
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#8 » by Blood Orange » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:22 am

If Wolves are all-in for Ben Simmons, next time leave the Raptors out of it.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 am

I am surprised more 76ers are jumping in. Harris vs. Siakam this season is a close comparison.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Uh, there’s a lot here. First, if you’re getting Simmons and only giving up Edwards, Rubio, and the #3 pick, I don’t think you can reasonably expect to also get Milton or the Philly 1st. Take those two out, and you’re reasonably is in the right neighborhood of value.

With that said, it’s not great for Toronto, and makes little sense in both value and direction. You wanna say 3 for OG? Sure, probably about there. Edwards for Siakam? Maybe there. Tobias and Rubio for FVV? Value’s not there, unless Toronto really just loves Tobias, regardless of his contract. But mostly, the direction makes no sense. Is it rebuilding? Dealing Siakam and FVV make some sense, then, but dealing OG now doesn’t. OG and FVV (to a lesser extent) would still be key parts of a young core. But then, you have them adding Tobias, on a HUUUUUGE money deal, as an older vet that is a good player, but not someone to lead a young core. Rubio helps for a year as a vet, but he’s purely expiring filler in this type of deal. It just makes no sense as they bleed value in a rebuilding package to get vets, but deal vets for a rebuilding package? Just seems weird to me, and I think Toronto would have a hard time understanding this kind of thing.

You think OG gets a #3 in 2021 draft?

Siakam for Harris. What is the difference in trade value?
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#11 » by GutUNC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:51 am

Wolveswin wrote:I am surprised more 76ers are jumping in. Harris vs. Siakam this season is a close comparison.

Does that mean you think OG and Van Vleet is equal to Simmons/Shake/1st?
GDTBATH
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:53 am

GutUNC wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I am surprised more 76ers are jumping in. Harris vs. Siakam this season is a close comparison.

No. But their delta is not what it was. So that package is needed to get the better player.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#13 » by GutUNC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:04 am

Wolveswin wrote:
GutUNC wrote:

No. But their delta is not what it was. So that package is needed to get the better player.

I don't which "their" you're referring to here but the bottom line is Minnesota is underpaying several times over.
GDTBATH
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:22 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Uh, there’s a lot here. First, if you’re getting Simmons and only giving up Edwards, Rubio, and the #3 pick, I don’t think you can reasonably expect to also get Milton or the Philly 1st. Take those two out, and you’re reasonably is in the right neighborhood of value.

I think OG for 3 is closer than Harris for Siakam is. 3 might be an overpay, but not enough to pay for the Siakam/Tobias swap. But again, it’s a terrible deal for Toronto because it has no direction. It tries to get younger, while also getting older. It tries to get more vets, but focuses on bringing back draft picks. What’s the mission? What’s the vision?

But, Minnesota should absolutely do this deal. They get MUCH better. The other teams get worse, though.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#15 » by the_process » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:51 am

zimpy27 wrote:Seems like a massive trade.

Couldn't Rubio/Beasley/FRP21/FRP23 be enough for Simmons if the Wolves get a top 3 pick?

If Minny wants Ben, who would be perfect with KAT and DLo; I would ask for Edwards, Rubio, Culver, 2 1sts and 2 swaps.Wouldn't be willing to negotiate much off of that, either, but would be willing to accept all future 1sts, so Minny could keep their pick this year if it doesn't convey to GSW.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:03 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

I think OG for 3 is closer than Harris for Siakam is. 3 might be an overpay, but not enough to pay for the Siakam/Tobias swap. But again, it’s a terrible deal for Toronto because it has no direction. It tries to get younger, while also getting older. It tries to get more vets, but focuses on bringing back draft picks. What’s the mission? What’s the vision?

But, Minnesota should absolutely do this deal. They get MUCH better. The other teams get worse, though.

How does Raptors get older? Harris is temporary. They enter a rebuild and go ultra young. You do realize that in NBA you have to receive salary back in all trades. You even complain of Rubio’s expiring.

I think your OG being close to #3 is way off and Harris is much closer to Siakam than the delta of OG to #3.

BTW: just to illustrate how far you are off with OG...see thread in which SGA is being debated as worth a top 4 pick. He is #23 rated on TNT value board for reference. OG didn’t make top 35. Yet SGA is being debated as worth such (a top 4 pick). Most say he is. But it warrants debate. How is OG close to SGA in value?
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:08 am

the_process wrote:

If Minny wants Ben, who would be perfect with KAT and DLo; I would ask for Edwards, Rubio, Culver, 2 1sts and 2 swaps.Wouldn't be willing to negotiate much off of that, either, but would be willing to accept all future 1sts, so Minny could keep their pick this year if it doesn't convey to GSW.

If you were the 76ers GM you would have a deal with me (and actual Wolves GM I suspect). So you are saying:

Simmons

FOR

Rubio + Edwards + Culver + 2023 1st Swap + 2024 1st (unprotected) + 2025 1st Swap + 2026 1st (unprotected right?)

Wow. Wolves would be left with this:
Towns
Simmons
McDaniels
Beasley
Russell
Plus: Suggs or Cunningham or Mobley
the_process
RealGM

Post#18 » by the_process » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:24 am

Wolveswin wrote:
the_process wrote:

If you were the 76ers GM you would have a deal with me (and actual Wolves GM I suspect). So you are saying:

Simmons

FOR

Rubio + Edwards + Culver + 2023 1st Swap + 2024 1st (unprotected) + 2025 1st Swap + 2026 1st (unprotected right?)

Towns
Simmons
McDaniels
Beasley
Russell

Now, the context is of course the Sixers aren't trading Ben straight for futures. So it depends on who can be gotten for those futures, and if the Sixers will have any of those assets left after acquiring their big piece.

If acquiring Beal (or whoever) requires Minny's pick this year, then that will have to be a part of the deal and the other picks can be pushed out to '25 through '27.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:25 am

the_process wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
the_process wrote:

Simmons

FOR

Towns
Simmons
McDaniels
Beasley
Russell

Now, the context is of course the Sixers aren't trading Ben straight for futures. So it depends on who can be gotten for those futures, and if the Sixers will have any of those assets left after acquiring their big piece.

Hence this thread.
the_process
RealGM

Post#20 » by the_process » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:31 am

Wolveswin wrote:
the_process wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:If you were the 76ers GM you would have a deal with me (and actual Wolves GM I suspect). So you are saying:

Simmons

FOR

Towns
Simmons
McDaniels
Beasley
Russell

Hence this thread.

Yep. I don't think Toronto is a good third here though. Washington would be the more obvious choice. Portland could be a good fit here as well.

Return to Trades and Transactions