Towns to OKC (MINN - OKC)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,266

Towns to OKC (MINN - OKC) 

Post#1 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:52 pm

Been seeing a lot of wolves pick (4th or 5th overall) back to minny for Towns proposal... I wonder if OKC can do something similar and outbid GSW
(Assumption: Houston gets unlucky and lands 5th or 6th - about 48% chance of this happening)

OKC trades: Horford, OKC 2021 1st, HOU 2021 1st, MIA 2023 top 14 protected 1st, DEN 2023 top 14 protected 1st
Minnesota trades: Towns

Why for OKC: start consolidating for cost controlled young star to build a contender with Shai.
Why for Minnesota: rebuild with 2 high lotto picks and 2 future 1sts

(If OKC 1st is really high like top 3 then maybe take out the future 1sts?)
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Re: Towns to OKC (MINN - OKC) 

Post#2 » by Dn4sty » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Maybe yes from OKC, but something about Towns just doesn’t set right with me and his ability to raise the ceiling of the team he is on.

I’m sure I could be convinced otherwise though.

I also think OKC could take back additional player(s) from Minny into their numerous TPEs
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:10 pm

I would definitely have questions about OKC defensively, but the value seems about right in terms of the compensation I think. This is exactly the sort of thing I'd be open to for them, and honestly a target that (if he did become available) would be of interest.

And it would leave them with a ton of cap space still possible to find some other guys to fit in.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#4 » by cjmcallist » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 pm

As OKC I'd feel horrible, but I'd do it.

I have a lot of concerns about Towns and his ability to contribute to winning. But, I also don't trust that MIN franchise as a place where people can learn how to win.

I really don't think Town is leaving MIN though.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,047

Post#5 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:32 pm

Depends where these picks land at the top, but yeah, I'd be interested in this especially if it was, say, picks 5 and 6. But I also do picks 4 and 5. If either of these are the first or second pick, I'm probably not in. If it's the third pick... Not sure.

Don't expect any of that to interest the Wolves.

However:

Cade
Edwards
Green
Kuminga
Reid

That would be very interesting for Minny
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:34 pm

cjmcallist wrote:

I agree with you that they probably wouldn't deal towns this off season.. this was more of a thoguht experiment to gauge okc fans' opinion on towns' value and fit.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#7 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:36 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Depends where these picks land at the top, but yeah, I'd be interested in this especially if it was, say, picks 5 and 6. But I also do picks 4 and 5. If either of these are the first or second pick, I'm probably not in. If it's the third pick... Not sure.

However:

Cade
Edwards
Green
Kuminga
Reid

Horford grandfathering 4 high potential rookies would be helluva interesting :lol:
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#8 » by Devilanche » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:

I agree with you that they probably wouldn't deal towns this off season.. this was more of a thoguht experiment to gauge okc fans' opinion on towns' value and fit.

OKC trades: Horford, OKC 2021 1st, HOU 2021 1st, MIA 2023 top 14 protected 1st, DEN 2023 top 14 protected 1st
Minnesota trades: Towns

Pasting the deal from your original post inside the quote.

Premise of the trade
-2021 minny first conveyed to GSW so they have reason to rebuild now and control their own 2022 pick
- KAT didn’t ask for a trade so his trade value is still high but even if he had asked no stars would be forcing a trade to Oklahoma especially when we aren’t anywhere close to contending

Value For Minnesota : while their GM might think otherwise , this might be the right move more so if they can get a highish 2022 draft slot thereafter. I do think value is light for a perennial all star but I question whether anyone would want outbid this or have the asset to outbid. I doubt the team with the top 2 picks in the draft will want give up the longer controlled years considering the stage of the rebuild so I guess only draft slot 3 team will be able outbid this ...

Value and fit for OKC : i think this is a good deal. It’s likely the picks aren’t as good as KAT is now but fit wise defensively we may be abit light / suspect after that. This of course will end the rebuild mode of the team as we go forward with an SGA/KAT core and I don’t think that’s going to be good enough. Do we have enough left after this to build around them ? We do have capspace and picks left.

I’m leaning towards a pass though cause I don’t feel like KAT is a can’t miss trade target however I fail to see anyone around his age AND his trade value being available in the upcoming season.

TLDR: will pass and wait out for an older star that wants out assuming we are further along the development stage of our own picks and probably already making the playoff as a Low seed. The younger/youngish core will be via the draft and probably waiting for a future CP3/Jrue/Lowly to be available via trade.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,667

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 pm

I'd add Russell to this deal. I think it makes it a lot more palatable for the Wolves if they are selling Towns for non-premium assets like this to be able to really clean up their books.

OKC can then choose to add other assets and immediately flip Russell, or simply keep him as another source of offense for a year before likely moving him next off-season when he's less negative.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#10 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'd add Russell to this deal. I think it makes it a lot more palatable for the Wolves if they are selling Towns for non-premium assets like this to be able to really clean up their books.

OKC can then choose to add other assets and immediately flip Russell, or simply keep him as another source of offense for a year before likely moving him next off-season when he's less negative.

I dont think it makes sense to dilute Towns value by attaching russell though. might as well let him and horford lead the tank for next 2 years?
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,667

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:51 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd add Russell to this deal. I think it makes it a lot more palatable for the Wolves if they are selling Towns for non-premium assets like this to be able to really clean up their books.

I dont think it makes sense to dilute Towns value by attaching russell though. might as well let him and horford lead the tank for next 2 years?

How is it diluting the value if I kept the return the exact same only added in Russell as well? :D

Cheekiness aside, obviously by adding Russell I am saying the value is light for Towns and ordinarily I agree with you not to dilute your best asset by dumping a bad contract. But in this case, it really allows for a hard reset and you have new ownership transitioning in and this really gives them more of a chance to build things they want. Plus Russell having engineered his way to Minnesota specifically to play with Towns sticking around is going to almost certainly not be what you want around a team composed of high draft picks.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#12 » by Resistance » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:57 pm

If Boston wants to move on from Kemba and Minnesota is willing to tank for two seasons, revisit the ideas of

* Horford for Kemba + asset(s)

* Russell + TBD for Kemba + TBD
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,392

Post#13 » by shrink » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 pm

In the 18 games since the break, Towns is 27.7/11.3/5.1, 40% 3P and a .621 TS%, and playing so unselfishly. Chris Finch is running the offense through Towns, and KAT’s defense looks significantly improved this year. When Towns has played, the team has looked competitive against everyone — not something that could have been said before the break.

The frequency of Towns posts on the trade board by one wolves fan should not be interpreted as the team realistically looking to trade him. I appreciate the respect the previous posters have made, regarding that issue.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,904

Post#14 » by zimpy27 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:13 pm

Yeah I don't see Minny trading Towns. Can revisit this trade though depending on pick numbers.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Zan Tabacco
Senior
And1: 281

Post#15 » by Zan Tabacco » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:50 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Depends where these picks land at the top, but yeah, I'd be interested in this especially if it was, say, picks 5 and 6. But I also do picks 4 and 5. If either of these are the first or second pick, I'm probably not in. If it's the third pick... Not sure.

However:

Cade
Edwards
Green
Kuminga
Reid

So wait hold up you're NOT willing to trade a top 2 pick for KAT, but then when I said the same thing about SGA I get called out for it. Y'all a bunch of hypocrites.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,047

Post#16 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:10 am

Zan Tabacco wrote:

However:

Cade
Edwards
Green
Kuminga
Reid

So wait hold up you're NOT willing to trade a top 2 pick for KAT, but then when I said the same thing about SGA I get called out for it. Y'all a bunch of hypocrites.

No I said I wouldn’t trade the 2nd and 5th picks for KAT. Chill.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#17 » by Dn4sty » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:27 am

Zan Tabacco wrote:

However:

Cade
Edwards
Green
Kuminga
Reid

You seriously proposed a deal of SGA + Horford for Siakam....so there’s that
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#18 » by sonictecture » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:44 am

Since OKC doesn’t own the Houston pick, but a top four protected pick swap, what happens if the swap doesn’t convey?
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#19 » by Devilanche » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:57 am

sonictecture wrote:Since OKC doesn’t own the Houston pick, but a top four protected pick swap, what happens if the swap doesn’t convey?

If Houston keep theirs we got Miami’s
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,702

Post#20 » by eminence » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:03 am

Unless that OKC pick is #1 I'd want more if I were MIN.
I bought a boat.

Return to Trades and Transactions