Jamal Murray's Trade Value

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Jamal Murray's trade value

positive
50%
neutral
20%
negative
30%

Total votes: 40

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Jamal Murray's Trade Value 

Post#1 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 4, 2021 4:56 am

So i've seen a few trade proposals lately involving Murray and to my surprise fans seem to still be attributing (lots of) positive value to him. Dude had an ACL tear and recovery will make him likely miss all of 2021-2022.

His remaining contract: 4 yr/140M

This means he is owed 140M for 3 years of production. This puts it an average of 46.6M per year of production. How can he be positive value for that cost (Without taking into account the potential risk that he may not even return the same player)?

FWIW i'm not suggesting Denver should pay to dump him. They should hold onto him and hope he comes back strong. Once his empty 21-22 salary is paid off then he MAY have value again (if he plays well)
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,602

Re: Jamal Murray's Trade Value 

Post#2 » by youngthegiant » Tue May 4, 2021 6:04 am

Jamal's not getting traded coming off an acl injury so it doesn't matter what his trade value is.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#3 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue May 4, 2021 7:50 am

youngthegiant wrote:Jamal's not getting traded coming off an acl injury so it doesn't matter what his trade value is.

In other words, negative.

8-)
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#4 » by Devilanche » Tue May 4, 2021 11:08 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:Jamal's not getting traded coming off an acl injury so it doesn't matter what his trade value is.

8-)

Could just mean lower trade value
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 4, 2021 2:01 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

8-)

There are very few players that can still be positive value while being paid equivalent of a supermax extension. Murray isn't one of them before his injury, and definitely isn't one after tearing his ACL.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#6 » by pcbothwel » Tue May 4, 2021 2:16 pm

Murray could very quickly become a pretty bad contract.
He is a really bad defender and I dont see an ACL tear helping with that.
Offensively, he isnt "Great" at anything. He above average rebounding, passing/vision, and shooter. But he isnt a sniper, a floor general, he doesnt draw fouls.

If he slips back into the 55% TS range, he becomes a very average player being paid premium money at a premium position. Good player, but most certainly puts a ceiling on your team.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#7 » by Soulyss » Tue May 4, 2021 2:20 pm

No one is going to take a 140 million dollar risk on that knee. Nuggets will either be screwed or get their player mostly back and be fine.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Devilanche » Tue May 4, 2021 2:58 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

8-)

There are very few players that can still be positive value while being paid equivalent of a supermax extension. Murray isn't one of them before his injury, and definitely isn't one after tearing his ACL.

Isn’t a supermax for those on their second extension ? Those wall/Westbrook/lillard type of contract extension . Murray’s extension was just a rookie scale max contract extension ?
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#9 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 4, 2021 3:15 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Devilanche wrote:Could just mean lower trade value

Isn’t a supermax for those on their second extension ? Those wall/Westbrook/lillard type of contract extension . Murray’s extension was just a rookie scale max contract extension ?

Right but he is out all of next year, so he is due 130M for 3 years of production, which is about what a supermax pays
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,790

Post#10 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:17 pm

Sorry, we're talking an ACL here right? He'll be fine. I think some of the posts in this thread are not remembering what recovery looks like now from these injuries. They probably aren't trading him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 4, 2021 3:20 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Right but he is out all of next year, so he is due 130M for 3 years of production, which is about what a supermax pays

We don’t know that he’ll be out all of next year, though. :dontknow:
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,602

Post#12 » by youngthegiant » Tue May 4, 2021 3:44 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Devilanche wrote:Isn’t a supermax for those on their second extension ? Those wall/Westbrook/lillard type of contract extension . Murray’s extension was just a rookie scale max contract extension ?

We don’t know that he’ll be out all of next year, though. :dontknow:
Even if he is this is a dumb way to look at it. His cap figure stays the same, Denver will never actually be paying him 40+ million a year on this contract.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#13 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 4, 2021 4:09 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

8-)

Yeah good thing Murray's on a 25% rookie max, not a 35% supermax.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#14 » by jimmy keys » Tue May 4, 2021 6:44 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

My trade offer of Vanvleet + Boucher + 2023 FRP for Murray is still on the table. I think the Raptors might be the one team aside from Denver that would be willing to wait it out for a year and take the risk. Hometown (area) kid with star potential to pair with Anunoby, Trent & Siakam. Re-sign Lowry as a stop gap, take the best player available in the draft.

Lowry (Murray)
Trent Jr. (2021 FRP)
Anunoby
Siakam
Birch

For Denver I like the fit of Vanvleet & Boucher. Vanvleet isn't as talented as Murray, but a better defender and maybe a better fit in their starting lineup. I don't think Denver needs a third star with Jokic as the 1st option and Porter Jr. as the 2nd option. VV & Boucher give them more depth and versatility.

Vanvleet
Barton
Porter Jr.
Gordon - Boucher
Jokic
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#15 » by vxmike » Tue May 4, 2021 7:34 pm

jimmy keys wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Devilanche wrote:Isn’t a supermax for those on their second extension ? Those wall/Westbrook/lillard type of contract extension . Murray’s extension was just a rookie scale max contract extension ?

My trade offer of Vanvleet + Boucher + 2023 FRP for Murray is still on the table. I think the Raptors might be the one team aside from Denver that would be willing to wait it out for a year and take the risk. Hometown (area) kid with star potential to pair with Anunoby, Trent & Siakam. Re-sign Lowry as a stop gap, take the best player available in the draft.

Lowry (Murray)
Trent Jr. (2021 FRP)
Anunoby
Siakam
Birch

For Denver I like the fit of Vanvleet & Boucher. Vanvleet isn't as talented as Murray, but a better defender and maybe a better fit in their starting lineup. I don't think Denver needs a third star with Jokic as the 1st option and Porter Jr. as the 2nd option. VV & Boucher give them more depth and versatility.

Vanvleet
Barton
Porter Jr.
Gordon - Boucher
Jokic

Denver should take that offer and run after the ACL injury. I see no way Toronto makes that offer though
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#16 » by jimmy keys » Tue May 4, 2021 8:10 pm

vxmike wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Lowry (Murray)
Trent Jr. (2021 FRP)
Anunoby
Siakam
Birch

Vanvleet
Barton
Porter Jr.
Gordon - Boucher
Jokic

Denver should take that offer and run after the ACL injury. I see no way Toronto makes that offer though

Maybe take the pick out then?
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#17 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 4, 2021 8:19 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Sorry, we're talking an ACL here right? He'll be fine. I think some of the posts in this thread are not remembering what recovery looks like now from these injuries. They probably aren't trading him.

It's not a death sentence anymore, but its far from 100% that he will come back the same player. I agree he wouldn't be traded.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,403

Post#18 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 4, 2021 8:23 pm

Beasley + Rubio + Culver + Future Protected 1st*

Can NBA protect picks like nfl in which based on players achievements or health?

Wolves should take the gamble. They are very deep at guard.

Towns
McDaniels
Edwards
Murray | Okogie | Nowell
Russell
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Devilanche » Tue May 4, 2021 9:04 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Yea but while it is like a supermax contract once you apportioned it into 3 years the condition aren’t exactly similar . He will still be in his prime once he finish the 3 years instead of in his mid 30s
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#20 » by Dn4sty » Tue May 4, 2021 11:36 pm

I could see OKC making a move for him even if he had to set out for all of next year.

It would allow them to possibly continue the tank and then make a push with a healthy Murray/SGA the following season.

Return to Trades and Transactions