Eliminated: CHA is out, knee-jerk trades & solutions

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Eliminated: CHA is out, knee-jerk trades & solutions 

Post#1 » by Foshan » Wed May 19, 2021 12:26 pm

So i thought this could be fun as each team gets knocked out. Especially at a time in which fans of said eliminated teams are thinking very clearly :D

So where does Charlotte go from here?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Re: Eliminated: CHA is out, knee-jerk trades & solutions 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Wed May 19, 2021 12:46 pm

Hayward + 11 for Turner + Lamb

Hayward for Wiseman + Wiggins

Hayward for Wiseman + Oubre S&T

11 + protected 2022 1st that becomes 2nds if we are in the lottery + pure cap space for Wood

Hayward for Porzingis

Just get us a solid starting center that can grow and develop with our young core. We can't go into another season pretending Zeller/Biyombo is an okay center rotation.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#3 » by youngcrev » Wed May 19, 2021 12:47 pm

Getting a center?

If the Pacers are an early out, I think Charlotte could be a good landing spot (among many) for Myles Turner. A rim protecting floor spreader would fit well with this group.

Along those same lines, they'd also be a great landing spot for Porzingis if he were to become available. I think his ability to be a half court scoring hub would have more value on this team than it does on Dallas, and I love the fit of him and Washington at the 4/5 playing next to Ball.

Not sure what a deal looks like.

If Dallas can find a rim protecting, roll man to replace KP at the 5, a deal based around Rozier could be interesting for both sides. Rozier can continue in the role he's thrived in this year as an off ball/secondary ball handler that can slot in defensively at the 1 in Dallas.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#4 » by Topofthekey » Wed May 19, 2021 12:51 pm

I remember that a while back Hornets fans were making threads suggesting teams like Hawks send good players to Hornets in return for picks

The rationale was, since Hawks were two games behind the Hornets on the standings, Hawks should obviously rebuild and trade away good players for picks

Since the situation is reversed now, maybe Hornets should look to sell off their valuable players for picks?
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#5 » by youngcrev » Wed May 19, 2021 12:54 pm

Do the Hornets have enough cap space to make a Porzingis for Rozier trade work straight up while keeping the cap holds of Graham and Monk?
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Wed May 19, 2021 12:55 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I remember that a while back Hornets fans were making threads suggesting teams like Hawks send good players to Hornets in return for picks

The rationale was, since Hawks were two games behind the Hornets on the standings, Hawks should obviously rebuild and trade away good players for picks

Since the situation is reversed now, maybe Hornets should look to sell off their valuable players for pics?

Consider me fully on board with selling Hayward, maybe Rozier, for young assets and building a full squad of guys 26 and younger. Would've been nice to get into the playoffs this year, but the Hayward signing was premature.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#7 » by HornetJail » Wed May 19, 2021 12:57 pm

youngcrev wrote:Do the Hornets have enough cap space to make a Porzingis for Rozier trade work straight up while keeping the cap holds of Graham and Monk?

it would be very close. I think Monk may have to sign his contract first (which I expect to be under his cap hold) but then it would work for sure.

I'm on the fence with that though. Hayward and Porzingis together is a lot of big money with questionable injury history. One or the other, I'm fine, but both together is problematic.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#8 » by Topofthekey » Wed May 19, 2021 12:58 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I remember that a while back Hornets fans were making threads suggesting teams like Hawks send good players to Hornets in return for picks

Since the situation is reversed now, maybe Hornets should look to sell off their valuable players for pics?

Consider me fully on board with selling Hayward, maybe Rozier, for young assets and building a full squad of guys 26 and younger. Would've been nice to get into the playoffs this year, but the Hayward signing was premature.

Yes, those two are probably the pieces to sell first, if Hornets are considering such a move

But Rozier has only 1 year remaining on his contract, and Hayward's contract is somewhat bloated, so Hornets might not be able to get satisfactory returns for them, which leads them back to the kind of situation where they feel they're better off just keeping them
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,841

Post#9 » by BK_2020 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:17 pm

Get Kemba back for Rozier in a 3 way of some kind. Celtics get a heavily protected first somewhere down the line. Helps both teams with the Celtics needing to retool and stay below luxury tax.
Kemba expires before Bridges and PJ need to be paid, so CHO can absorb him easily.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#10 » by K_chile22 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:20 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:11 + protected 2022 1st that becomes 2nds if we are in the lottery + pure cap space for Wood

Really like the wood target for them. Relatively young and would be incredible playing with Ball. The defense would need some sorting out (Wood is fine, but ideally you want him with a 4 that can defend up a position, maybe that's PJ Washington idk) but they'd be so hard to stop because when wood got a chance to play PnR with a PnR maestro in Harden he looked unstoppable
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 19, 2021 1:21 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Hayward + 11 for Turner + Lamb

So, interesting value for Indy, for sure, can’t hate that. But, the salary is a tough mechanism to work, still, as Hayward alone will make a couple million more than Turner+Lamb. Add in the 120% of the rookie scale for #11, and it adds around $5-6m to the Pacers books, leaving only around $6m under the luxury tax (but only 2 roster spots to fill). It’d pretty much eliminate the chance of keeping TJ McConnell or Doug McDermott, or using the MLE in any meaningful way. Not saying that’d eliminate a deal like this from happening, but it would make it a negative, and tough to do.
spankymoore7
Rookie
And1: 324

Post#12 » by spankymoore7 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:36 pm

youngcrev wrote:Do the Hornets have enough cap space to make a Porzingis for Rozier trade work straight up while keeping the cap holds of Graham and Monk?

Rozier is by far our best player right now and Porzingis can't stay healthy. Charlotte shouldn't touch this imo
spankymoore7
Rookie

Post#13 » by spankymoore7 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:38 pm

I'd take Kai Jones or Isaiah Jackson at 11. Sign a stop gap big for a year, maybe even Zeller. Let the market make offers to Devonte and Monk, and match one or both if reasonable. Team is in year two of rebuild, I'm good with continuing to slowly build
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,480

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 19, 2021 1:39 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

it would be very close. I think Monk may have to sign his contract first (which I expect to be under his cap hold) but then it would work for sure.

I'm on the fence with that though. Hayward and Porzingis together is a lot of big money with questionable injury history. One or the other, I'm fine, but both together is problematic.

Dallas would have no problem taking Hayward and his injury history with Terry. Give you a Brunson to try and replace Terry role? A Green and a DFS to fill the wing minutes...

That’s really all we have. Sorry.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,290

Post#15 » by Godaddycurse » Wed May 19, 2021 1:43 pm

spankymoore7 wrote:

Rozier is by far our best player right now and Porzingis can't stay healthy. Charlotte shouldn't touch this imo

spankymoore7 wrote:Easy pass for Charlotte. Hayward is our best player when healthy and Wiseman is looking like a bad pick at 2. Plus this has us losing a first

who is actually your best player? just curious if you pick one to trade for a center who would you prefer going out?
spankymoore7
Rookie

Post#16 » by spankymoore7 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:49 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
spankymoore7 wrote:

spankymoore7 wrote:Easy pass for Charlotte. Hayward is our best player when healthy and Wiseman is looking like a bad pick at 2. Plus this has us losing a first

who is actually your best player? just curious if you pick one to trade for a center who would you prefer going out?

As I said, when healthy this year it was Hayward. Since he has been hurt, and right now, it has been Rozier. I'd rather move Hayward I suppose but I doubt you get equal value considering injury and contract. I'd rather draft a big
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,776

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 19, 2021 1:50 pm

I mean just getting Hayward healthy is the biggest thing. Their record once they lost him was really poor.

But then the next decision is choosing between Monk and Graham or choosing neither which probably isn't a consideration but might should be long term.

Then after that find a center. But that also seems like not that daunting of a task.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#18 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed May 19, 2021 1:57 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Hayward + 11 for Turner + Lamb

Hayward for Wiseman + Wiggins

Hayward for Wiseman + Oubre S&T

11 + protected 2022 1st that becomes 2nds if we are in the lottery + pure cap space for Wood

Hayward for Porzingis

Just get us a solid starting center that can grow and develop with our young core. We can't go into another season pretending Zeller/Biyombo is an okay center rotation.

Funny you propose Wiseman and Wiggins.

I was begging for Boston to make that deal when Hayward was still under contract.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,795

Post#19 » by Colbinii » Wed May 19, 2021 2:13 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I mean just getting Hayward healthy is the biggest thing. Their record once they lost him was really poor.

But then the next decision is choosing between Monk and Graham or choosing neither which probably isn't a consideration but might should be long term.

Then after that find a center. But that also seems like not that daunting of a task.

I think finding a good center is what a team like Charlotte should be looking for and if you ask Boston or Washington--its a task.

We saw Atlanta be in a similar position last year and they made a tremendous move by adding Capela and he has completely turned around their fortunes as their best and most impactful player.

A player who would fit this nicely is Myles Turner, a name thrown around here often. If Charlotte is trading for Turner, and as many of these trades suggest they do but I disagree with, is moving Hayward.

Charlotte should look to move into next year with Ball/Bridges/Hayward/Washington/Turner, making Rozier and Graham expendable (as you mention with Graham).

Charlotte out: Rozier, 2021 1st #11, 2023 1st (Top 10 Protected, Top 7 Profected, 2 2nds), 2022 Toronto 2nd
Charlotte in: Myles Turner

Indiana out: Myles Turner
Indiana in: Pascal Siakam, 2022 Toronto 2nd

Toronto out: Pascal Siakam
Toronto in: Terry Rozier, 2021 1st #11, 2023 1st (Top 10 Protected, Top 7 Profected, 2 2nds)

In this deal, Charlotte adds a great fit in Turner who, if you believe him to be close to Capela as an impactful defender, can help Charlotte take another step forward next season. The Pacers add a all-star talent who can play both the 3 and 4 and adds spacing (Assuming he can find his shot) and has familiarity with their coach (Will he be back? If they put up a fight in the post-season I assume so). The Raptors add a pick this season while also staying competitive as Rozier is a piece who can help immediately and is a nice fit in the backcourt as a guard who can play on and off ball.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#20 » by youngcrev » Wed May 19, 2021 2:13 pm

spankymoore7 wrote:

Why does that matter on a team that finished 6 games under .500? Porzingis is better and younger than him, and, with the major caveat of health, a great long-term fit.

The team has shown a willingness to take a risk to increase their talent level, and Porzingis is a great upside swing.

Return to Trades and Transactions