Eliminated: WAS is out, knee-jerk trades & solutions

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Eliminated: WAS is out, knee-jerk trades & solutions 

Post#1 » by Foshan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:45 am

So i thought this could be fun as each team gets knocked out. Especially at a time in which fans of said eliminated teams are thinking very clearly :D

So where does Washington go from here?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,598

Re: Eliminated: WAS is out, knee-jerk trades & solutions 

Post#2 » by NYG » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:51 am

Ugh, I think we'll have another Eliminated thread shortly...

In regards to Washington...

What does (Bertans and/or Bryant) + (Rui and/or Deni) + 15 get the Wizards?

I think they should hire a creative mind like Mike D'Antoni, embrace the Westbrook/Beal back-court and get the best possible player that outgoing trade package I mentioned above gets in return then fill in the roster accordingly.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,839

Post#3 » by giberish » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:42 am

It really comes down to Beal. He's a UFA in a year. Do they think he'll resign/extend? If it depends on their team progress next season, how good would they have to get and how plausible is it. Keep in mind they were still under .500 for the year and have room to improve some but really pushing towards even a fringe title contender is a long ways off.

Fortunately for them, Westbrook's late season run should mean he's movable if they want to do a full tear-down/restart (rather then keeping him awkwardly around a bunch of kids).

What type of return could they get for Beal? I'm sure a bunch of teams would offer pu-pu platter options with a bunch of late 1sts/fringe prospects, but what sort of interesting high-end pick/prospect would be available?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,983

Post#4 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:46 am

They should be pushing a rebuild, doesn't mean they will but that's what they should do.

They have limited ability to improve enough to contend right now.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#5 » by doctor him » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:47 am

They HAVE TO move Bertans. Build around Hachimura and if Beal wants to hang around then cool. Hope Deni develops and that Gafford is the defensive anchor over an 82 game season.

They have talent. They need a versatile wing (I've never seen a team without a wing defender with some athleticism before) or 3. They could use another guy who can get his shot (I don't trust Westbrook) and more general talent overall, but I think they've got a shot to improve for next season and challenge Atlanta for the 4 seed next season. They're better than a normal 8 seed.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,598

Post#6 » by NYG » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:50 am

giberish wrote:It really comes down to Beal. He's a UFA in a year. Do they think he'll resign/extend? If it depends on their team progress next season, how good would they have to get and how plausible is it. Keep in mind they were still under .500 for the year and have room to improve some but really pushing towards even a fringe title contender is a long ways off.

Fortunately for them, Westbrook's late season run should mean he's movable if they want to do a full tear-down/restart (rather then keeping him awkwardly around a bunch of kids).

What type of return could they get for Beal? I'm sure a bunch of teams would offer pu-pu platter options with a bunch of late 1sts/fringe prospects, but what sort of interesting high-end pick/prospect would be available?

If Barrett is the best headliner, the Knicks would likely include him if Beal agreed to extend.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,983

Post#7 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:00 am

If a team likes Westbrook enough to offer them something of value then they need to take it and then start a bidding war on Beal. They should also try to move Bryant as Gafford should be starting C.

I don't think they can move Bertans. Just move forward with Holmesley, Deni, Rui, Gafford, Bertans and whatever they get for Westbrook, Bryant and Beal.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:02 am

If Golden State makes the godfather offer, you have a decision to make.

Otherwise, take the best NBA ready prospect on the board. Hope for internal growth from Rui and Deni and that Bryant's offense more than makes up for his defense in a reserve roll. Use the MLE on a decent backup PG so that Westbrook can play full tilt in more limited minutes. Maybe snag a 4 or 5 seed and hope to outperform expectations in the playoffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#9 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:29 am

WAS has to pretty much run it back with their team unless someone steps in with a huge offer for Beal that can't be passed up.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#10 » by Tomjas » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:03 am

Beal’s potential extension contract is humongous and biggest in NBA history

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2807065-bradley-beal-wizards-agree-to-2-year-72m-max-contract-extension
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#11 » by Silvie Lysandra » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:36 am

Trade Beal
Pray NYK takes Westbrook for cap space
Pray someone gives anything of value for Bertans
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#12 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:37 am

I think they have no choice but to trade Westbrook and BEal to boston.

XD
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#13 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:27 pm

Can Beal be traded if he has agreed to a supermax extension? (And did the Wiz learn anything from locking Wall into a supermax or are they just going to repeat the same mistakes over and over to achieve mediocrity like they have been doing for 40 years?)
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#14 » by Apz » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:32 pm

Mavs got a kp to trade
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#15 » by cjmcallist » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:56 pm

Trading Beal is the popular answer, but I'm not sure it's the right answer. The hardest thing to do is get All-Star caliber players, and they have two of them. Beal and WB are on the same timeline with 2 years left. Use those two years and see what you can do.

1) Target players who help you win-now and contracts expire in two years
2) Get someone to fight Embiid, Bam, Giannis - but doesn't kill spacing
3) Move off of Bertans
4) Try like hell to keep Rui/Deni

Trade - done at / before the draft
WAS sends: Bryant, Bertans, 2021 FRP (15th), 2025 FRP (top 20 protected)
OKC sends: Horford, K Williams, 2021 OKC SRP, 2021 MIN SRP

I believe that puts their payroll at $126m with 10 players. The cap is ~$136m. This is why WAS is willing to put in the 2025 FRP to get the two second round picks from OKC. They have two very high SRP to fill out the roster without having to pay FRP scale contracts.

Then, in FA, use the Tax MLE to keep flexibility to exceed the cap if needed. They'll probably have ~$7m to spend and stay under the tax.

For that amount - try to bring in a guard, but really any contributor would work. Targets: Patty Mills, Avery Bradley, Rudy Gay.

Final roster - and under the tax!

WB / Mills
Beal / Hutchinson
Williams / Avdija
Hachimura / Gill
Horford / Gafford
+ 2 SRPs
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,863

Post#16 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:04 pm

Just gotta sit Westbrick's contract out and pray that Beal resigns.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#17 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:12 pm

BOS gets: F Bertans, C Bryant, #15 pick
WAS gets: G Smart, C Thompson, F Grant Williams

Wizards improve their defense and shed long term money in Bertans which will free up the funds to re-sign Smart, who would be an ideal backcourt pairing with Beal and can play in 3 guard lineups alongside Westy.

BOS adds another mid 1st to use in other trades. Bertans/Bryant improve their front court shooting to help space the floor for Tatum/Brown.

Deal is salary nuetral in current year. Long term it saves WAS money, but as mentioned they would have to use the savings to re-sign Smart.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,863

Post#18 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:16 pm

What's the value of Smart to WAS anyway. He'll just be an expensive backup combo guard for them.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#19 » by Shoe » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:16 pm

cjmcallist wrote:

Curious how you came up with these values. Horford is 34 years old, averaged a 54 TS%, and is due $55 million over the next two years.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#20 » by cjmcallist » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:24 pm

Shoe wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:

Curious how you came up with these values. Horford is 34 years old, averaged a 54 TS%, and is due $55 million over the next two years.

Sorry - I'm not understanding - are you thinking it's an overpay by WAS?

Return to Trades and Transactions