Wiz/OKC/GSW: Wiggins to Washington, Bertans to GSW, another lotto pick to OKC, Huge cash savings to GSW

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Wiz/OKC/GSW: Wiggins to Washington, Bertans to GSW, another lotto pick to OKC, Huge cash savings to GSW 

Post#1 » by mhd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:43 pm

Simple deal:

Wiz trade Bertans+Bryant (expiring)+Hutchison (expiring) for Wiggins+#35+#36
GSW trade Wiggins+#14 for Bertans+Jerome
OKC trade Jerome+#35+#36 for Hutchison (expiring)+Bryant (expiring)+#14

GSW saves roughly 12.2 million is salary (which equates to 76 million is lux tax savings from what I gather (I could be wrong)) while getting Bertans (who is a great fit for them as a floor spacing forward) and Jerome (another great fit signed dirt cheap and can play PG). They can draft a replacement wing with the Minny 1st rounder. They also could go hunting for ring-chasing cheap vets at the wings.

OKC consolidates some young talent in getting #14 while taking a look at Bryant who expires as he recovers from the torn ACL.

Wiz get Wiggins to fill the gaping hole at SF while getting two high 2nds for young cheap bench players.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Re: Wiz/OKC/GSW: Wiggins to Washington, Bertans to GSW, another lotto pick to OKC, Huge cash savings to GSW 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:51 pm

why is OKC getting a free lottery pick here? Jerome+2 2nds seems like it should be the going rate for Bryant. I can't argue with the cap savings for GSW, but it doesn't seem like they want to take a hit on the basketball front to get those savings (see: Oubre trade). #14 shouldn't be moving here. If it's the price for offloading Wiggins, then it should go to Washington.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Re: Wiz/OKC/GSW: Wiggins to Washington, Bertans to GSW, another lotto pick to OKC, Huge cash savings to GSW 

Post#3 » by eminence » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:03 pm

I haven't yet seen an indication from the GS FO that they're going to pack it in for cap-savings, which is what this would signal to me. For now, it looks like a no to me. If that becomes the new goal, then this fits okay.
I bought a boat.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#4 » by Resistance » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:22 pm

Why is #14 being separated from wiggins?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,766

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:35 pm

Golden State should not pay to downgrade their team just to save some money. But if they did, then Washington should scoop up the value. No idea why OKC is here getting all the value and contributing nothing to the deal?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,744

Post#7 » by gswhoops » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:36 pm

Yeah, no indication that GS is looking to dump talent to save money and if they were the talent should be going to the team that’s actually taking on the money.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:41 pm

Did Op mean to give bryant to GSW and OKC eat bertans for 14? that would make more sense value wise, still bad fit for GSW
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,110

Post#9 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:50 pm

yeah that's too good for us
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#10 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:58 pm

OKC is doing too well here. In terms of getting 14, I think something where OKC sends Horford and Williams and gets Wiggins and 14 makes sense.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,313

Post#11 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:08 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:OKC is doing too well here. In terms of getting 14, I think something where OKC sends Horford and Williams and gets Wiggins and 14 makes sense.

Even that seems too rich. Think about your reactions to Horford trades in past threads... you acknowledge that Horford is a negative value contract even though he's still a good player. But you point out that OKC does not have the need to dump him so they won't attach any assets to do so since they're fine paying him.

GS has the same attitude on Wiggins. Good player but clearly overpaid. Still they're willing to pay him because they want to maximize talent in Curry's window. They aren't going to attach #14 to dump him. No shot.
Nate the Great
Pro Prospect
And1: 380

Post#12 » by Nate the Great » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:34 pm

This trade would make the Warriors worse, and pretty much guarantee that Curry would change teams, which would significantly lower the value of the franchise. They would in fact lose money as a result of this. So the Warriors give up a pick to get worse, lose their franchise player and lose money as well? Why would they do that?

Black Lives Matter
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#13 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:56 pm

Nate the Great wrote:This trade would make the Warriors worse, and pretty much guarantee that Curry would change teams, which would significantly lower the value of the franchise. They would in fact lose money as a result of this. So the Warriors give up a pick to get worse, lose their franchise player and lose money as well? Why would they do that?

That is extremely dramatic. The value isn't good here, but Curry isn't changing teams over the loss of a replacement level player.
Nate the Great
Pro Prospect
And1: 380

Post#14 » by Nate the Great » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:01 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Nate the Great wrote:This trade would make the Warriors worse, and pretty much guarantee that Curry would change teams, which would significantly lower the value of the franchise. They would in fact lose money as a result of this. So the Warriors give up a pick to get worse, lose their franchise player and lose money as well? Why would they do that?

That is extremely dramatic. The value isn't good here, but Curry isn't changing teams over the loss of a replacement level player.

Steph has held off on signing an extension because he wants to see the team become a contender again. Wiggins was the Warriors’ second scorer and second-best defender, and this trade would use draft capital to turn him into a couple mediocre bench players. He would demand a trade the next day.

Black Lives Matter
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:24 pm

Washington would need to include serious incentive to make this happen, imo

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,675

Post#16 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:48 pm

Again, the widely disparate views on Wiggins and the viewing of Thomas Bryant as close to valueless. I haven't watched Wiggins consistently to see if he is actually a good (if overpaid) player but I do know that I would attach value to Bryant and am not just dumping him as a salary/expiring.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Trades and Transactions