Ingram to Memphis

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who benefits from the trade

Memphis
47%
Pels
40%
Both
7%
None
7%

Total votes: 15

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Ingram to Memphis 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:27 am

Zion is a very unique player, very talented offensively with very good drive, but can't really space the floor, and needs to be surrounded by shooters, and also can't really defend big men. Steven Adams is a great defender, but him and Zion on the floor create a spacing problem. Not many big men are well suited to play next to Zion, but Jaren Jackson is one of them. So essentially this idea is more or less a JJJ-Ingram swap, with additional players Pelicans get as JJJ currently didn't live up to his full potential, while Ingram is an All-Star. Memphis also send Dillon Brooks and Kyle Anderson, two good defenders and shooters, and can also expand the relatively limited options Pels have for wings. Probably need to add a first-round from Memphis as well.

Memphis have a wide rotation and can handle the loss of these three key players, while adding another star next to Ja and have a great young core with Ja-Ingram-Clarke-Bane (with Jonas to complete the starting five, possibly Grayson Allen will be the starter over Bane currently; Tillman-Melton should also be mentioned as a young core).

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yxad9jsd
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Re: Ingram to Memphis 

Post#2 » by E S V L » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:11 pm

durantbird wrote:Zion is a very unique player, very talented offensively with very good drive, but can't really space the floor, and needs to be surrounded by shooters, and also can't really defend big men. Steven Adams is a great defender, but him and Zion on the floor create a spacing problem. Not many big men are well suited to play next to Zion, but Jaren Jackson is one of them. So essentially this idea is more or less a JJJ-Ingram swap, with additional players Pelicans get as JJJ currently didn't live up to his full potential, while Ingram is an All-Star. Memphis also send Dillon Brooks and Kyle Anderson, two good defenders and shooters, and can also expand the relatively limited options Pels have for wings. Probably need to add a first-round from Memphis as well.

Memphis have a wide rotation and can handle the loss of these three key players, while adding another star next to Ja and have a great young core with Ja-Ingram-Clarke-Bane (with Jonas to complete the starting five, possibly Grayson Allen will be the starter over Bane currently; Tillman-Melton should also be mentioned as a young core).

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yxad9jsd

Brooks and Anderson are solid NBA starters. They shouldn`t be used as sweeteners.

JJJ + 1st 2022 + Clarke for Ingram would be the best offer from Memphis.
FK NFL
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,094

Post#3 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:32 pm

I think this is tough to do on value but I think these are the right pieces. Both JJJ and Clarke aren’t exactly at peak trade value at the moment.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#4 » by E S V L » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:44 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I think this is tough to do on value but I think these are the right pieces. Both JJJ and Clarke aren’t exactly at peak trade value at the moment.

Once JJJ gets on track (which is a likely probability), he alone passes Ingram in value.
FK NFL
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm

E S V L wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I think this is tough to do on value but I think these are the right pieces. Both JJJ and Clarke aren’t exactly at peak trade value at the moment.

Once JJJ gets on track (which is a likely probability), he alone passes Ingram in value.

If, not once. JJJ was terrible this season.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,818

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm

E S V L wrote:

Does he though? By the time he's established himself(if he does) then he too will be on a max or near as contract and the extra value for being on a rookie scale contract is done.

JJJ right now is much more potential than actualized. I remain high on him, don't get me wrong, but right now his trajectory is kinda KPish which isn't a positive selling point really.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,541

Post#7 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:38 pm

Ignoring the Memphis side, I don’t get this for NO.

They have a young, very good perimeter player and the swap it for less proven talent at a big position ? Maybe with an extra pf as sweetener ?

Just fails to persuade me to even consider it if I was NO.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,628

Post#8 » by shrink » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:47 pm

E S V L wrote:Brooks and Anderson are solid NBA starters. They shouldn`t be used as sweeteners.

It feels like MEM has around 12 rotation-worthy players, and they don’t have minutes for all of them.

I like the idea of a 3-for-1 on their side, and keeping the pick to draft a high upside project. I’m not sure NOP is trading Ingram though.
Texas Chuck

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:55 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Ignoring the Memphis side, I don’t get this for NO.

They have a young, very good perimeter player and the swap it for less proven talent at a big position ? Maybe with an extra pf as sweetener ?

Just fails to persuade me to even consider it if I was NO.

I'm in favor of New Orleans moving BI for something else, but wouldn't move him for just JJJ. I'm left with a bunch of doubts as to how you defend with a Zion/BI forward pairing.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#10 » by E S V L » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:01 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Does he though? By the time he's established himself(if he does) then he too will be on a max or near as contract and the extra value for being on a rookie scale contract is done.

JJJ right now is much more potential than actualized. I remain high on him, don't get me wrong, but right now his trajectory is kinda KPish which isn't a positive selling point really.

He played very decent basketball against Gobert in the PO games despite:
- not being in a good shape as he was going through the recovery process after the season ending injury.
- he is 22 years old. He is literally a kid.

That`s why I think he has a solid chance to become a motherfather once he matures.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#11 » by E S V L » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:03 pm

shrink wrote:
E S V L wrote:Brooks and Anderson are solid NBA starters. They shouldn`t be used as sweeteners.

It feels like MEM has around 12 rotation-worthy players, and they don’t have minutes for all of them.

I like the idea of a 3-for-1 on their side, and keeping the pick to draft a high upside project. I’m not sure NOP is trading Ingram though.

Yes, we have 12 rotational players. We can move 3 of them in 1 trade without any problem. You are absolutely right.

Nobody at this draft has JJJ`s upside beyond top-5.
FK NFL
Texas Chuck

Post#12 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 pm

E S V L wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
E S V L wrote:

He played very decent basketball against Gobert in the PO games despite:
- not being in a good shape as he was going through the recovery process after the season ending injury.
- he is 22 years old. He is literally a kid.

That`s why I think he has a solid chance to become

No issues with you remaining high on his potential. Was merely addressing value and disagreeing with you that its a lock that he becomes more valuable. Plus in discussing deals it makes more sense to deal with current value not projected value especially as everyone will make different projections. You and I are relatively high on him, others maybe less so. So we should look at him right now.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#13 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:06 pm

E S V L wrote:
shrink wrote:

Yes, we have 12 rotational players. We can move 3 of them in 1 trade without any problem. You are absolutely right.

They also don't have his injury risk though. Knee injuries in a unicorn big is scary (see KP). I really hope JJJ bounce back but i wouldn't want to be the team to take that risk (esp if it costs ingram).
E S V L
Analyst

Post#14 » by E S V L » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
E S V L wrote:
shrink wrote:It feels like MEM has around 12 rotation-worthy players, and they don’t have minutes for all of them.

They also don't have his injury risk though. Knee injuries in a unicorn big is scary (see KP). I really hope JJJ bounce back but i wouldn't want to be the team to take that risk (esp if it costs ingram).

That’s a fair point.
FK NFL
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,826

Post#15 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:23 pm

I think if this is the cost, then Memphis just waits on JJJ's improvement and hope another trade opportunity comes along. Gutting our team of the two players that could actually make the Ja/Ingram pairing work on the defensive side kind of defeats the purpose of the trade, we fix our offense but wreak our D. If we made this trade we would have to turn around and find defensive wings/PF replacements on the trade market (really none in FA) and they don't come cheap if teams are willing to trade them at all. Plus likely have to move Val for a better defensive backstop. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would basically be a total team overhaul to build around that pairing.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#16 » by Laimbeer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:00 pm

I can't see Memphis not doing this. Ingram is a proven young stud. JJJ is talented but has question makes. Two meh starters don't bridge it for me.
psman2
General Manager

Post#17 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:05 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I can't see Memphis not doing this. Ingram is a proven young stud. JJJ is talented but has question makes. Two meh starters don't bridge it for me.

I think you are saying you cannot see NO doing this by the rest of you comments?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#18 » by Laimbeer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:33 pm

psman2 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:I can't see Memphis not doing this. Ingram is a proven young stud. JJJ is talented but has question makes. Two meh starters don't bridge it for me.

I think you are saying you cannot see NO doing this by the rest of you comments?
No, I don't think the Pelicans do this.

Sent from my SM-J700P using RealGM mobile app
psman2
General Manager

Post#19 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:35 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
psman2 wrote:

No, I don't think the Pelicans do this.

Sent from my SM-J700P using RealGM mobile app

My bad ...misread this. Obviously disagree though.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#20 » by E S V L » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:26 pm

Colbinii wrote:JJJ was terrible this season.

He was primarily out this season in case you haven`t noticed.
FK NFL

Return to Trades and Transactions