Get Smart, Minnesota

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,830

Get Smart, Minnesota 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:38 pm

Smart
Langford
Thompson

for

Rubio
Beasley

Wolves go get a tone setter defensively and play a lot of 3 guard lineups with Smart's ability to guard bigger guys. Maybe if Langford can stay healthy he can give them a few minutes as well and Thompson gives them a different kind of big than they currently have. But mainly this is about Smart shaking things up.

Celtics give up a piece of their one-time core and replace him with a veteran stopgap PG in Rubio and bring in a nice 3rd option offensively allowing them leverage in Fournier talks or Fournier just becomes a really high level 6th man. Or maybe they try and S&T him for something. This locks in another starter on an affordable deal for several more years.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,877

Re: Get Smart, Minnesota 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:45 pm

I like this less than the other move personally. Minnesota needs to add some size at the 3/4 and this doesn't exactly do that (I know Thompson sort-of does but not for what the Wolves want).
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#3 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:44 pm

I’d be fine with this, even if it’s a smaller deal to get Rubio to Boston I think he’d be a great fit.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,413

Post#4 » by JRoy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:49 pm

Might be tough to move Beasley with his off court issues.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#5 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:58 pm

Value wise it makes sense I just don't like the pieces coming back to Boston at all. Rubio in particular I HATE for Boston. Tatum and Brown each are most comfortable on the ball. I get that Rubio in theory would bring playmaking that makes things easier on them but honestly neither of them (particularly Tatum) thrive in that role so I don't get why anyone wants to push them to that. I think he's a terrible fit on Boston. Way worse than just keeping with Smart at PG.

I don't hate Beasley but I don't think he brings anything that re-signing Evan Fournier doesn't. And even in the event that Fournier gets too much money to where you let him walk. I think you could land guys bench scorers that contribute nothing else for the full MLE that Boston would then have at their disposal.

Really I just put no value in swapping our Fournier for Besley even if it's a few million less/year. And then I think BOS could land much better piece than ill-fitting and overpaid Rubio for Smart. And I'm not even super high on Smart from a trade value standpoint.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#6 » by patman66 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:02 pm

No way does beasley fly in Boston, and Rubio took a step back last year. He is not as good as Smart on D or scoring. he is a better passer though.
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#7 » by DNP-Old » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:13 pm

Side bar question: What type of value does Beasley have?
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,413

Post#8 » by JRoy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:16 pm

DNP-Old wrote:Side bar question: What type of value does Beasley have?

Less than his talent would indicate.

I wouldn’t go anywhere near him as his talent doesn’t justify the risk.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.

Return to Trades and Transactions