Lakers & Kings in discussion (Per Shams)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Re: Lakers & Kings in discussion (Per Shams) 

Post#61 » by Resistance » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:07 am

Onus wrote:Why is sac trying to get rid of Hield? I thought they didn't re-sign Bogi to keep Hield in the starting line up?

I thought that they kept Hield because it would have cost them compensation to move him in a trade.

They like Haliburton, but Hield will raise a fuss if he is the sixth man coming off the bench.

They have burned a season off of Hield's contract and situations have evolved for other teams. So Sacramento might be able to find a better trade for him than they would have last offseason.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,849

Post#62 » by giberish » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:54 am

Resistance wrote:
Onus wrote:Why is sac trying to get rid of Hield? I thought they didn't re-sign Bogi to keep Hield in the starting line up?

I thought that they kept Hield because it would have cost them compensation to move him in a trade.

They like Haliburton, but Hield will raise a fuss if he is the sixth many coming off the bench.

They have burned a season off of Hield's contract and situations have evolved for other teams. So Sacramento might be able to find a better trade for him than they would have last offseason.

Sac also added Wright midseason. So at this point they've got 4 guards who are solid or better and only 1 such forward, so trading a guard for a forward makes a lot of sense. They played Hield at SF a lot last year which is fine on offense but leaves huge defensive problems.

There's an argument for a (more or less) straight up Fox for Simmons trade that would also balance the guard/forward distribution but a deal with secondary guys like Hield and Kuzma is much more likely.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,280

Post#63 » by Onus » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:03 am

Thanks for the responses. I always thought there'd be enough minutes for 3 guards, but I guess if Buddy won't accept a bench role even though he'd still get 30+ mpg that just seems crazy.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
sc00bysnaqz
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#64 » by sc00bysnaqz » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:05 am

I do not think the Lakers will trade the 22nd. If they do, I see them trading down for at least 2 2nd rounders because it cap friendlier for them. I see kuz and trez and maybe Alfonso's non guaranteed contract
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,736

Post#65 » by the_process » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:12 am

CHA gets KCP and Harrell for #56
LAL gets Hield and #28 for KCP, Harrell, and #22
PHI gets Barnes and Wright for Harris and #28
SAC gets Harris, #22, and #56 for Barnes, Wright, and Hield
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#66 » by City of Trees » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:19 am

the_process wrote:CHA gets KCP and Harrell for #56
This needs some tweaking. Why do you have LA moving back only six spots while getting Buddy and shedding salary? Feels too good for them. Plus, LA's preference should be high 2nd round picks that are non guaranteed.

I know Harris is an okay player but his contract is just awful. Kings need more compensation

Philly is freaking thrilled

I think CHA would rather spend their money on Holmes
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,778

Post#67 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:50 am

City of Trees wrote:
the_process wrote:CHA gets KCP and Harrell for #56
This needs some tweaking. Why do you have LA moving back only six spots while getting Buddy and shedding salary? Feels too good for them. Plus, LA's preference should be high 2nd round picks that are non guaranteed.

I know Harris is an okay player but his contract is just awful. Kings need more compensation

Philly is freaking thrilled

I think CHA would rather spend their money on Holmes

Its close for Kings IMO. Id take 'Harris over Barnes/Hield. Although we are parting with my beloved Wright here
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#68 » by warren weel im » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 am

I actually think the trade will be:

Kuzma, Gasol (retiring), McKinnie

Buddy Hield

No picks from either side.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,013

Post#69 » by Rockazoids » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:22 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:I am being thick here or is everyone missing a very obvious redirect for Harrell?

Send him to NYK for number 21. He is an ideal Thins type of guy and if anyone can time him up for playoff performance, Thibs can.

Well not to hard than if you think NYK are going to use #21 on Harrell.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,717

Post#70 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:23 pm

warren weel im wrote:I actually think the trade will be:

Buddy Hield

Don’t the Lakers need to be sending out close to another $4 million? This doesn’t work financially.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,068

Post#71 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:50 pm

kalenclayton wrote:

Buddy Hield

Don’t the Lakers need to be sending out close to another $4 million? This doesn’t work financially.

It’s within $150k if Hield’s salary next year stays the same in terms of likely or unlikely bonuses. If, however, as Hartford Whalers pointed out that Hield’s salary will drop a little bit because he missed the free throw bonus, and it will be classified as unlikely next year? Then it works perfectly. Those 3 combine to make $17.6m, and the Lakers have to be within $5m to absorb Hield (McKinnie would have to be guaranteed in this deal). But it’d be right there.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,596

Post#72 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Buddy Hield

It’s within $150k if Hield’s salary next year stays the same in terms of likely or unlikely bonuses. If, however, as Hartford Whalers pointed out that Hield’s salary will drop a little bit because he missed the free throw bonus, and it will be classified as unlikely next year? Then it works perfectly. Those 3 combine to make $17.6m, and the Lakers have to be within $5m to absorb Hield (McKinnie would have to be guaranteed in this deal). But it’d be right there.

Need to be careful here, as Schroeder's cap hold is 24m. Being a below the tax team and using the 5m instead of the 125% might involve sacrificing the ability to bring him back or S&T him elsewhere.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:53 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Don’t the Lakers need to be sending out close to another $4 million? This doesn’t work financially.

Need to be careful here, as Schroeder's cap hold is 24m. Being a below the tax team and using the 5m instead of the 125% might involve sacrificing the ability to bring him back or S&T him elsewhere.

Yeah. This too. Though, kind of assumed this would be more of an order of operations type thing in terms of when the deal goes down, so they should already know what’s happening with Schroeder by the time this deal would be called into the league, and could renounce him if need be.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,016

Post#74 » by R-DAWG » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Hield makes a ton of sense basketball wise for the Lakers. As a third option, he can be a knock down spot shooter who would be able to create a shot in certain situations. The Lakers would likely surround him with 4 strong defenders, especially in closing lineups which will likely feature James and Davis at the 4/5 with KCP at the 3. The biggest challenge for Kuzma with the Lakers is both James and Davis play his natural position - power forward.

For Sacramento, it might be more of a future flexibility move than anything else. Hield turns 29 at the start of this season and has a contract that is above his market value. The team is really being built around D'Arron Fox, who turns 24 at the start of the season. So in theory, Heild is at this peak while Fox is a few years away from his. Similar to Kuzma with the Lakers, Hield is now blocked in Sacramento's rotation by Haliburtan. With Kuzma, they get a guy who just turned 26 who is signed to a pretty reasonable contract for the next 3 years. In the short term, he and Harrison Barnes are interchangeable at the 3/4 - although it wouldn't surprise me to see Barnes traded - and they can run out an exciting small ball lineup with Fox-Haliburtan-Barnes-Kuzma-Bagley.

Personally, I think adding pick #22 from the Lakers perspective is overkill, especially if Harrell can be dumped into cap space/TPE for the 3rd team.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#75 » by R-DAWG » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:09 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Don’t the Lakers need to be sending out close to another $4 million? This doesn’t work financially.

I would assume the Lakers would try to bring back Schroder even if they acquire Heild. Schoreder, especially if you move him back to the 6th man role, gives the Lakers something that Heild doesn't and they desperately need, another guy who can create offense. Starting KCP/Heild in the backcourt (a version of KCP/Green that is better offensively and worse defensively) with Schroder off the bench is a very solid 3 guard rotation. Add in a 3 and D guy who can slide up to the 3 in small ball situations are your rolling.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:32 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I would assume the Lakers would try to bring back Schroder even if they acquire Heild. Schoreder, especially if you move him back to the 6th man role, gives the Lakers something that Heild doesn't and they desperately need, another guy who can create offense. Starting KCP/Heild in the backcourt (a version of KCP/Green that is better offensively and worse defensively) with Schroder off the bench is a very solid 3 guard rotation. Add in a 3 and D guy who can slide up to the 3 in small ball situations are your rolling.

Lakers may want to, but reports are that Schroeder wants $100m over 4 years and a pure starting spot. I don’t know that the two are going to find common ground on a deal and a role.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,454

Post#77 » by rpa » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:21 pm

R-DAWG wrote:Hield makes a ton of sense basketball wise for the Lakers. As a third option, he can be a knock down spot shooter who would be able to create a shot in certain situations. The Lakers would likely surround him with 4 strong defenders, especially in closing lineups which will likely feature James and Davis at the 4/5 with KCP at the 3. The biggest challenge for Kuzma with the Lakers is both James and Davis play his natural position - power forward.

For Sacramento, it might be more of a future flexibility move than anything else. Hield turns 29 at the start of this season and has a contract that is above his market value. The team is really being built around D'Arron Fox, who turns 24 at the start of the season. So in theory, Heild is at this peak while Fox is a few years away from his. Similar to Kuzma with the Lakers, Hield is now blocked in Sacramento's rotation by Haliburtan. With Kuzma, they get a guy who just turned 26 who is signed to a pretty reasonable contract for the next 3 years. In the short term, he and Harrison Barnes are interchangeable at the 3/4 - although it wouldn't surprise me to see Barnes traded - and they can run out an exciting small ball lineup with Fox-Haliburtan-Barnes-Kuzma-Bagley.

Personally, I think adding pick #22 from the Lakers perspective is overkill, especially if Harrell can be dumped into cap space/TPE for the 3rd team.

I think the #22 would need to be included because, quite frankly, I just don't see why the Kings would want Kuzma, but it's clear as day why the Lakers would want Hield. I just don't see how you successfully slot in a guy like Kuzma who isn't a good defender, outside shooter, or efficient scorer. Is he younger? Sure, but he's not a good player nor one with an elite skill that you can take advantage of and hide the other warts (like with Hield).

One other consideration is whether the Kings would tie this to successfully resigning Holmes (ie line up the trade, but only execute it once Holmes agrees on a contract that the Kings would need to make space to accommodate).
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#78 » by Resistance » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:32 pm

rpa wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:Hield makes a ton of sense basketball wise for the Lakers. As a third option, he can be a knock down spot shooter who would be able to create a shot in certain situations. The Lakers would likely surround him with 4 strong defenders, especially in closing lineups which will likely feature James and Davis at the 4/5 with KCP at the 3. The biggest challenge for Kuzma with the Lakers is both James and Davis play his natural position - power forward.

I think the #22 would need to be included because, quite frankly, I just don't see why the Kings would want Kuzma, but it's clear as day why the Lakers would want Hield. I just don't see how you successfully slot in a guy like Kuzma who isn't a good defender, outside shooter, or efficient scorer. Is he younger? Sure, but he's not a good player nor one with an elite skill that you can take advantage of and hide the other warts (like with Hield).

One other consideration is whether the Kings would tie this to successfully resigning Holmes (ie line up the trade, but only execute it once Holmes agrees on a contract that the Kings would need to make space to accommodate).

The draft is before Free Agency. LAL might draft differently at #22 if they are drafting for themselves or in a trade with another team (not Sacramento).
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,454

Post#79 » by rpa » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:56 pm

Resistance wrote:The draft is before Free Agency. LAL might draft differently at #22 if they are drafting for themselves or in a trade with another team (not Sacramento).

I know that part. I probably should've been a bit more explicit with what I ended with.

My point is that a straight(ish) Hield/Kuzma swap makes little sense for the Kings and a ton of sense for the Lakers so there needs to be some kind of incentive for the Kings to do it. "Cap space" (in a vacuum) isn't much of an incentive so before the draft the pick. If after the draft then the cap space may no longer be in a vacuum and it'd essentially be Hield for Kuzma/Holmes--which may be enough incentive for the Kings to pull the trigger.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#80 » by R-DAWG » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Lakers may want to, but reports are that Schroeder wants $100m over 4 years and a pure starting spot. I don’t know that the two are going to find common ground on a deal and a role.

Schroder might want $100MM and a pure starting spot but that does not mean that he will get it, especially since throughout his career he has been an average at best starter who has excelled off the bench. Given the Lakers win now requirements, big market budget, and limited assets might allow them to accept paying $25MM per year for a 6th man.

Return to Trades and Transactions