[Charania]: McDermott to the Spurs (3/$42M)

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,687

Re: [Charania]: McDermott to the Spurs (3/$42M) 

Post#21 » by Bornstellar » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:00 pm

Idk why people act like signing McBuckets means the Spurs opted to try and make the playoffs, as if he was the difference between our team being in the lottery and the 8th seed :lol:
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,224

Post#22 » by Laimbeer » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:15 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:I'm glad the Spurs have so clearly picked a direction, although they could have picked a better direction.

Can you share? Because I'm not seeing any direction.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,190

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:44 pm

Chinook wrote:Assuming the Spurs are likely to get Indy's second and keep their own.

I would assume so, too. Likely the Spurs are sending a top 55 protected, while Indy might only be sending a top 40 or top 45 protected 2nd. And the swap matters, but Indy and SA are usually very near each other in the standings, that it would likely be a minimal move, if exercised at all.

No one is getting anything of major value here, but just good relationship building.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#24 » by loserX » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:46 pm

Bornstellar wrote:Idk why people act like signing McBuckets means the Spurs opted to try and make the playoffs, as if he was the difference between our team being in the lottery and the 8th seed :lol:

So why did you sign him?
Bornstellar
General Manager

Post#25 » by Bornstellar » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:17 pm

loserX wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:Idk why people act like signing McBuckets means the Spurs opted to try and make the playoffs, as if he was the difference between our team being in the lottery and the 8th seed :lol:

So why did you sign him?

Because every young team needs to have SOME kind of vet on the roster, and we literally just lost all of ours? And because we had no forwards, and no three point shooters, and he fits both roles? Do you really believe Doug McDermott in place of DeRozan/Gay/Mills is taking the Spurs to the playoffs when they weren't even close the last 2 years? :lol:

The Spurs also value "high character" guys being around the young players. Signing McDermott is not catapulting a sub .500 team that lost their only go to scorer to the playoffs
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,592

Post#26 » by HornetJail » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:36 pm

wow I completely missed this one. That's way too much for Dougie
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
loserX
And1: 26,047

Post#27 » by loserX » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:40 pm

Bornstellar wrote:
loserX wrote:

So why did you sign him?

Because every young team needs to have SOME kind of vet on the roster, and we literally just lost all of ours? And because we had no forwards, and no three point shooters, and he fits both roles? Do you really believe Doug McDermott in place of DeRozan/Gay/Mills is taking the Spurs to the playoffs when they weren't even close the last 2 years? :lol:

The Spurs also value "high character" guys being around the young players. Signing McDermott is not catapulting a sub .500 team that lost their only go to scorer to the playoffs

Could have had all that for less than 3/$42M. You also got Thad Young and Al-Farouq Aminu, both veteran forwards, and signed Bryn Forbes as a shooter, etc. etc.

If all you wanted was a Georges Niang type, you could have done that and saved yourself a boatload of money. If this wasn't to try to make the playoffs, it was just plain wasteful.
Bornstellar
General Manager

Post#28 » by Bornstellar » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:51 pm

loserX wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
loserX wrote:
So why did you sign him?

Could have had all that for less than 3/$42M. You also got Thad Young and Al-Farouq Aminu, both veteran forwards, and signed Bryn Forbes as a shooter, etc. etc.

If all you wanted was a Georges Niang type, you could have done that and saved yourself a boatload of money. If this wasn't to try to make the playoffs, it was just plain wasteful.

In terms of the money, I agree, this is an overpay and I'm not necessarily thrilled with the signing (Indy throwing in a second for us in exchange for a TPE was solid, though). I'm just saying that I don't see signing McDermott to be indicative of the Spurs going all in for the playoffs or picking a direction or whatever.

I think their main goal this year was to maintain (overall) future flexibility while getting a real look at their young guys and seeing what they have, and I think the team values having someone like McD around the young guys since he also fills a need and gives Murray/White someone to actual dish to on the perimeter. Forbes is 10-12th man (ideally) so I have to assume the Spurs signed him to give the guards another three point threat and because he knows the system already.

The DD trade hasn't been finalized yet, so who knows if the Spurs try to route Young/Aminu to another team. If the Spurs keep Young and don't make any further moves then I might shift my opinion. But they have 19 guys on the team assuming the trade goes through unchanged so I have to think they're still working on other moves. Again, I think the main goal for this season is to let the young guys take over and see if any of them really blossom and take the next step, now that the vets from last year won't be taking their minutes. It's hard for us to know what we truly have when our offense has been so focused on DD and Rudy iso ball.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,572

Post#29 » by JimmyPlopper » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:01 pm

Dejounte Murray/Derrick White/Tre Jones
Devin Vassel/Bryn Forbes/Josh Primo
Keldon Johnson/Lonnie Walker IV/Chandler Hutchison
Doug McDermott/Thaddeus Young/Al-Farouq Aminu
Jakob Poeltl/ Zach Collins/Jock Landale
all i see is blinking lights
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#30 » by NoZoLakers » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:01 pm

so why such a high price for Mcd?
Bornstellar
General Manager

Post#31 » by Bornstellar » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:05 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:

Good question. It's not like paying him less money would've made changed how he theoretically impacts winning. As I said before I'm not thrilled with this signing. Just pointing out the signing Doug friggin McDermott is not a "win now" move for a sub .500 team that lost it's best player. The most likely answer to your question is - they play in San Antonio, and have to overpay to get free agents to come here? Idk man. If anything giving him more money is less of a win now move since we can't add someone like Lauri as well. But again I don't think him coming here is a win now move at all, and I don't think him making 14 million per for 2 years (third is probably team option) has any impact on winning say 7 million per for 2 years
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#32 » by Prospect Dong » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:39 am

Bornstellar wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:

Good question. It's not like paying him less money would've made changed how he theoretically impacts winning. As I said before I'm not thrilled with this signing. Just pointing out the signing Doug friggin McDermott is not a "win now" move for a sub .500 team that lost it's best player. The most likely answer to your question is - they play in San Antonio, and have to overpay to get free agents to come here? Idk man. If anything giving him more money is less of a win now move since we can't add someone like Lauri as well. But again I don't think him coming here is a win now move at all, and I don't think him making 14 million per for 2 years (third is probably team option) has any impact on winning say 7 million per for 2 years

I think this would make a lot more sense as a one year deal. Overpay him a little to give up some security, keep him around for a year to help create a functioning offence if none of your other guys pop, and then reevaluate after a year. But you don't sign your veteran culture guys to three year deals at ok-to-good starter money.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,458

Post#33 » by babyjax13 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:30 am

JimmyPlopper wrote:Dejounte Murray/Derrick White/Tre Jones
Devin Vassel/Bryn Forbes/Josh Primo
Keldon Johnson/Lonnie Walker IV/Chandler Hutchison
Doug McDermott/Thaddeus Young/Al-Farouq Aminu
Jakob Poeltl/ Zach Collins/Jock Landale

I'd be shocked if White comes off the bench, he's the best player on that team. I see their rotation more as:

Murray 30/Jones 6/White 12
White 20/Primo 20/Forbes 8
Vassel 28/Walker 10/Johnson 10
Johnson 22/McDermott 26/Collins
Poeltl 28/Collins 20/Landale

Would not be surprised if there are some trades later in the year involving 1 or 2 of their guards, esp. Lonnie Walker.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions