Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 4.0

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Re: Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 4.0 

Post#21 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:57 pm

Dn4sty wrote:I feel like OKC will do something soon. They have too much cap space setting around to at least not be involved in some sort of salary shedding deal sometime soon.

This is just us having tasted the thrill of Presti making a transaction every other day, only to go cold turkey. I'm inclined to agree with you, but I also think it's just so strange that more hasn't happened.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#22 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:05 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Could Drummond not have got a better contract and position than the one with Philly?

That's kind of odd

Not really. Going to the Lakers showcased his weaknesses more then his strengths. He absolutely would have looked better had James and Davis been healthy. But he got exposed and not playing much in the playoffs, because quite honestly he wouldn’t have been useful, just about killed any value he had left.

Pistons were mediocre at best building around him, Cavs traded almost nothing to get him and were really quick to move on from him. Centers like him don’t have the same impact they used to.

Maybe he gets a little more if he had gone to the hornets instead, but I’m honestly not sure.

Once McGee joined the suns and Howard went back to la, there wasn’t much available for Drummond. And honestly he probably joined the best team that offered a minimum deal. Just funny that Joel is so in his head that Drummond is now his backup
Robin Lopez got $5M in Orlando. I'm convinced he could've done better.

Signing for the minimum in Brooklyn would've been smarter imo
Maybe backing up in Chicago in case Vuc gets traded would've been better

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Lopez is a culture guy. They are paying him that in part to be a good mentor and vet presence for the youngsters. Andre isnt that type of person.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#23 » by chrbal » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:13 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Could Drummond not have got a better contract and position than the one with Philly?

That's kind of odd

Not really. Going to the Lakers showcased his weaknesses more then his strengths. He absolutely would have looked better had James and Davis been healthy. But he got exposed and not playing much in the playoffs, because quite honestly he wouldn’t have been useful, just about killed any value he had left.

Pistons were mediocre at best building around him, Cavs traded almost nothing to get him and were really quick to move on from him. Centers like him don’t have the same impact they used to.

Maybe he gets a little more if he had gone to the hornets instead, but I’m honestly not sure.

Once McGee joined the suns and Howard went back to la, there wasn’t much available for Drummond. And honestly he probably joined the best team that offered a minimum deal. Just funny that Joel is so in his head that Drummond is now his backup
Robin Lopez got $5M in Orlando. I'm convinced he could've done better.

Signing for the minimum in Brooklyn would've been smarter imo
Maybe backing up in Chicago in case Vuc gets traded would've been better

And robin has a game that better fits the nba right now
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#24 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#25 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:03 am

jscott wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Is there a realistic way to get Simmons to Minnesota to play alongside KAT & D. Russell?

Is there a 3 team deal involving Anthony Edwards to be made?

Wolves won’t include Edwards in a Simmons move unless they are getting more than just Simmons back.

Even with his issues Simmons has more value so I’m not sure how that’s possible.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 917

Post#26 » by jscott » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:39 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
jscott wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Is there a realistic way to get Simmons to Minnesota to play alongside KAT & D. Russell?

Is there a 3 team deal involving Anthony Edwards to be made?

Wolves won’t include Edwards in a Simmons move unless they are getting more than just Simmons back.

Even with his issues Simmons has more value so I’m not sure how that’s possible.

Disagree.

I feel Edwards has more value to a rebuilding team by being younger, having a better contract situation, and by being able to create his own shot.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:05 pm

That's kind of odd
It was probably his best chance at seeing significantly minutes as a starter given Biid's load management.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:44 pm

News only I care about:

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#29 » by shangrila » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:13 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:News only I care about:

Read on Twitter

The NBA seems to be one of the few fields where cronyism is actively celebrated.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,821

Post#30 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 pm

shangrila wrote:

Read on Twitter

The NBA seems to be one of the few fields where cronyism is actively celebrated.

Not sure how this applies to this post. I know you aren't implying Barea isn't qualified to work for an NBA team lol.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#31 » by shangrila » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
shangrila wrote:

Read on Twitter

Not sure how this applies to this post. I know you aren't implying Barea isn't qualified to work for an NBA team lol.

Kind of?

It's more of a general statement, sure. I don't know Barea's qualifications. But when nobody can seemingly tell even what his job is supposed to be it makes me chuckle a little. In any other industry this would be textbook cronyism.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:42 pm

shangrila wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
shangrila wrote:The NBA seems to be one of the few fields where cronyism is actively celebrated.

Kind of?

It's more of a general statement, sure. I don't know Barea's qualifications. But when nobody can seemingly tell even what his job is supposed to be it makes me chuckle a little. In any other industry this would be textbook cronyism.

This is kind of a strange comparison to draw. In fact in most industries once someone retires from employment, they continue to consult in their industry to provide their experience and expertise. Of course basketball is even more unique because only a few hundred individuals even have that experience. And of course that is valuable right? There are also Of Counsel positions in many law firms which is basically paying for the name of someone past their prime. And in the public sector it’s double dipping.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#33 » by pacers33granger » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:52 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote: There are also Of Counsel positions in many law firms which is basically paying for the name of someone past their prime.

I love thinking of JJ Barea as of counsel to the Mavs.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#34 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:24 am

shangrila wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
shangrila wrote:The NBA seems to be one of the few fields where cronyism is actively celebrated.

Kind of?

Then why automatically assume it’s cronyism? Why assume he can’t be qualified for a position is essentially showing up and sharing your knowledge? Guys have gone straight into head coaching positions before. Here, he’s learning and earning his way.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#35 » by shangrila » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:55 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Kind of?

Then why automatically assume it’s cronyism? Why assume he can’t be qualified for a position is essentially showing up and sharing your knowledge? Guys have gone straight into head coaching positions before. Here, he’s learning and earning his way.

Because nobody has mentioned any qualifications or even what his job role is?

How else do you describe someone employing a former associate in an undefined role without experience in a similar field?
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#36 » by Apz » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:05 am

shangrila wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
shangrila wrote:Kind of?

How else do you describe someone employing a former associate in an undefined role without experience in a similar field?

Similair field? Could have understood that if he had been hired by the cowboys. Need to start somewhere, how did guys like carlisle and kerr and all the other ex nba players start their coaching careers?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#37 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:42 am

shangrila wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
shangrila wrote:Kind of?

His job role is to be JJ Barea and share his knowledge while learning the organization for a year or more, likely to see what he wants to do down the line, and for the organization to see where he might be best. Obviously he got the job by his connections with the organization. They want him personally to work for them in any way. You call it cronyism, they light just call it “wanting to keep institutional knowledge in house”. Why assume that he’s not qualified to be JJ Barea?
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,552

Post#38 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:59 pm

Okay, I'm ready for the last free agents to pick locations and move on.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#39 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:36 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Okay, I'm ready for the last free agents to pick locations and move on.
I think Hart and Lauri could go down to the wire where a threat of them playing on the QO becomes very real. Right now, it doesn't sound like the Bulls and Pelicans are being very reasonable.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#40 » by pacers33granger » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Okay, I'm ready for the last free agents to pick locations and move on.
I think Hart and Lauri could go down to the wire where a threat of them playing on the QO becomes very real. Right now, it doesn't sound like the Bulls and Pelicans are being very reasonable.

Not sure about Hart's situation, but Lauri's camp isn't exactly being reasonable either.

Return to Trades and Transactions