Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 4.0

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 4.0 

Post#201 » by pacers33granger » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:44 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Where is the evidence that Rondo can provide anything at this point? He does not contribute to winning and stifles spacing that is already iffy with LA's current bench.

He can run an offense and create good looks for teammates. Still has great vision. Again I'm not trying to sell Rondo as good. I don't think he's good. But if I needed to steal 5 minutes in a playoff game I would choose him over Svi for sure.

But where is the evidence he can run an offense at this point? That just seems like wishful thinking based on what he was a long time ago. There's plenty of guys out there who have good vision who are useless right now. Sharife Cooper has great vision but fell to the 2nd round because of all of his shortcomings. Rondo had an Ortg of 98 with the Hawks. His season totals got propped up by his Clippers stint that is not representative of his ability.

Personally I would choose to let Russ play that extra 5 minutes even if he just stands there. Rondo is that bad. I have him as Teague on the Bucks level bad where you're likely to lose some real ground during his minutes.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#202 » by chrbal » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:48 am

pacers33granger wrote:
chrbal wrote:Not really. Rondo is going to be a 3rd string player, and had they signed Svi he would have been as well.
I’d rather take my chances with a veteran like rondo in that role than hoping svi isn’t useless that night.

LA needs shooting. I'd rather take the chance that Svi provides something over Rondo. The idea that Rondo would be reliable is laughable.

I’m not saying Rondo is amazing, but svi can really only shoot the ball and when he’s missing it’s pretty crazy how ineffective he becomes.

I personally wouldn’t have gone after either, little surprised they didn’t target Tony Snell. All you really need is for him to knock down 3s when he’s out there and that’s really all he does anyway. Or just sign a cheap rookie free agent you like and see if he develops before you eventually sign a wing in his mid 30s.

But I get why they picked Rondo over Svi.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,813

Post#203 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:50 am

pacers33granger wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Where is the evidence that Rondo can provide anything at this point? He does not contribute to winning and stifles spacing that is already iffy with LA's current bench.

He can run an offense and create good looks for teammates. Still has great vision. Again I'm not trying to sell Rondo as good. I don't think he's good. But if I needed to steal 5 minutes in a playoff game I would choose him over Svi for sure.

But where is the evidence he can run an offense at this point? That just seems like wishful thinking based on what he was a long time ago. There's plenty of guys out there who have good vision who are useless right now. Sharife Cooper has great vision but fell to the 2nd round because of all of his shortcomings. Rondo had an Ortg of 98 with the Hawks. His season totals got propped up by his Clippers stint that is not representative of his ability.

Personally I would choose to let Russ play that extra 5 minutes even if he just stands there. Rondo is that bad. I have him as Teague on the Bucks level bad where you're likely to lose some real ground during his minutes.

I don't know how many other ways to say I prefer lots of other players then Rondo then Svi. This is not about me selling you on Rondo. I don't want Rondo. This is me saying he's a long-time veteran who does know how to play and I feel like I lose less ground than with Svi who is only a shooter, but not actually a good one. All of his offensive metrics are even worse than Rondo's.

And I don't see Svi as a prospect worth trying to develop on my roster. If he wanted to play for my G League team and demonstrate some things then maybe I bring him on later if he earns a spot. This is far less about Rondo, than it is not wanting to waste a roster spot on Svi particularly when I'm already depending on a lot of older players or younger guards with lots of warts(Nunn/Monk/THT).
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#204 » by pacers33granger » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:02 am

Texas Chuck wrote: This is not about me selling you on Rondo. I don't want Rondo. This is me saying he's a long-time veteran who does know how to play and I feel like I lose less ground than with Svi who is only a shooter, but not actually a good one. All of his offensive metrics are even worse than Rondo's.

It's not about Svi. It's about wasting a spot on a name. There is zero evidence that Rondo can be useful and the evidence tends to suggest he will be a negative if given minutes. I'm sure Reggie Miller can still hit a three, doesn't mean he's worth a spot.

Texas Chuck wrote:And I don't see Svi as a prospect worth trying to develop on my roster. If he wanted to play for my G League team and demonstrate some things then maybe I bring him on later if he earns a spot. This is far less about Rondo, than it is not wanting to waste a roster spot on Svi particularly when I'm already depending on a lot of older players or younger guards with lots of warts(Nunn/Monk/THT).

Both are a waste, but at least Svi offers upside. He's shown he can maybe shoot. Maybe he offers something later on if you develop him. Rondo flat out offers nothing and is more likely a detriment. I am of the opinion that if he doesn't have that (for him) hot shooting streak 2 years ago that he's out of the league.

My issue is with LA handing a spot to a name at this point who hasn't been productive in years. Especially after Pelinka said he wants to get some youth for the last spots. I guess it hasn't technically happened yet either way. But my issue is the pivot to run to sign a junk vet who got bought out when the last reports were that they were in talks with Svi. So not Svi, the move back to a vet for no good reason.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#205 » by pacers33granger » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:05 am

chrbal wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
chrbal wrote:Not really. Rondo is going to be a 3rd string player, and had they signed Svi he would have been as well.
I’d rather take my chances with a veteran like rondo in that role than hoping svi isn’t useless that night.

LA needs shooting. I'd rather take the chance that Svi provides something over Rondo. The idea that Rondo would be reliable is laughable.

I’m not saying Rondo is amazing, but svi can really only shoot the ball and when he’s missing it’s pretty crazy how ineffective he becomes.

I personally wouldn’t have gone after either, little surprised they didn’t target Tony Snell. All you really need is for him to knock down 3s when he’s out there and that’s really all he does anyway. Or just sign a cheap rookie free agent you like and see if he develops before you eventually sign a wing in his mid 30s.

Snell would have been a good get. He's not good or anything, but the fit makes sense. I just do not see Rondo being anything other than useless. In fact, I see him likely being less than that. He's totally ineffective at his best at this point. Personally, I'd go with maye getting shooting over maybe getting passing if I had to choose one for this LA roster.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#206 » by HornetJail » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:16 am

pacers33granger wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Svi doesn't do anything that Monk, Ellington, Nunn, and Bazemore can't do. Rondo can at least kinda run an offense still.

I don't see this at all. He was only playable during LA's title run because he happened to hit the shots teams left him wide open on. Otherwise, he's been the guy the Hawks ended up getting. A guy who hurts spacing, pounds the ball, and doesn't contribute to a modern offense at all.

My issue with the pivoting from Svi thing is more the fact that LA has a ton of vets at this point and needs young legs who can maybe evolve during the season. This seems like gambling on yet another turn back the clock performance from a guy who doesn't fit the modern NBA.
I won't argue about Rondo. He isn't good anymore but the point is he provides something different the Lakers don't already have.

Sure the Lakers need young legs but do all the young legs have to play the same position? They already have Monk, Nunn at that SG spot, along with the vet SGs Ellington and Baze, all of whom are predominantly SGs (three of them shooters/scorers and can only play another role in an emergency)
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#207 » by chrbal » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:17 am

pacers33granger wrote:
chrbal wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Snell would have been a good get. He's not good or anything, but the fit makes sense. I just do not see Rondo being anything other than useless. In fact, I see him likely being less than that. He's totally ineffective at his best at this point. Personally, I'd go with maye getting shooting over maybe getting passing if I had to choose one for this LA roster.

Rondos basketball iq is why he’s there in my opinion. But honestly his role is to basically be a backup pg when enough of the actual rotation gets a rest day. If svi was a knockdown shooter, it would have fit. But it’s telling that his market was basically Toronto saying what the heck
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#208 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:19 am

pacers33granger wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
Not the point. Is Rondo a reliable NBA player at this point? It's not about Svi. It's about wasting a spot on Rondo. Besides, Svi has shown the ability to hit a three.

Has he shown a can hit the three? Rondo shot a better clip than him last season. Rondo isn't great but we comparing somebody who is a fringe NBA type of player so far. Rather have rondo IQ and ability read schemes on the bench waving a towel .

There's a big difference between 4.8 a game and 2. There's also a big difference between a guy whose known as a shooter and one teams leave more than wide open. Rondo kills spacing. Svi at least might help. Like I said, I'd prefer the open spot, but Svi at least offers some upside. Rondo is useless, which is why he got limited run during the playoffs when LAC was begging for a reliable PG outside of Jackson.

Bottom line - Rondo is a waste of a roster spot. Svi probably is too, but at least offers some semblance of improvement alongside a bunch of vets already on the roster.

Big difference shooting 5 threes and 33 percent vs shooting 2 for 40 percent. Svi isn’t a proven shooter at the nba level no way you try to spin it.

It’s been less than a year since rondo played impactful playoff minutes for the Lakers. Useless seems heavy overstated for the 3rd PG on the roster.
Texas Chuck

Post#209 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:34 pm

Interesting little nugget from Stein suggesting the Lakers are looking for a center and might be parting ways with Gasol. With Jordan mentioned as a possibility if DJ gets a buy out from Brooklyn or a team he was traded to.

I find that interesting. I feel like I'd rather have Gasol than Jordan still for sure, but maybe the issue is about Gasol wanting out after how they jacked him around last year and clearly no commitment to a consistent role.

Dallas has a billion centers, but I'd be interested if he came free for sure.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#210 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter

fwiw
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#211 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:36 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

fwiw

Well, the next CBA will be fun.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,600

Post#212 » by parsnips33 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:37 pm

Does Morey call his bluff? Very curious to see what happens here
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,487

Post#213 » by jayjaysee » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:38 pm

All of Hinkies work..
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#214 » by K_chile22 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:40 pm

I'm sure the whole trying to trade him after telling him (and everyone else) that they wouldn't isn't helping here
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#215 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:46 pm

As a Wolves fan, I am very curious and intrigued by what consequence Ben Simmons potentially forcing Philly's hand may play into any potential trades. It could mean just accepting a CJ McCollum for Simmons swap straight up or Philly accepting a rebuild package from Minny without having a third team to flip it to for their coveted All-Star point guard.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Texas Chuck

Post#216 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 pm

K_chile22 wrote:I'm sure the whole trying to trade him after telling him (and everyone else) that they wouldn't isn't helping here

I kinda take an opposite tack here a little bit. If I'm say Minnesota who seemed to really want him, I'd call back and say I'll add a future 1st to my previous best offer and let's close this right now. Instead of trying to drive a harder bargain, I'd get even more serious thinking if I make a reasonable offer I can likely get him.

I wish Dallas had something to offer even with him and Luka being a clunky offensive fit. When you can get young talents like this locked up, I'm for getting them. Even if I pay retail.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#217 » by K_chile22 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:51 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:I'm sure the whole trying to trade him after telling him (and everyone else) that they wouldn't isn't helping here

I kinda take an opposite tack here a little bit. If I'm say Minnesota who seemed to really want him, I'd call back and say I'll add a future 1st to my previous best offer and let's close this right now. Instead of trying to drive a harder bargain, I'd get even more serious thinking if I make a reasonable offer I can likely get him.

I wish Dallas had something to offer even with him and Luka being a clunky offensive fit. When you can get young talents like this locked up, I'm for getting them. Even if I pay retail.
I was just referring to the relationship between Ben and the team
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#218 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Interesting little nugget from Stein suggesting the Lakers are looking for a center and might be parting ways with Gasol. With Jordan mentioned as a possibility if DJ gets a buy out from Brooklyn or a team he was traded to.

I find that interesting. I feel like I'd rather have Gasol than Jordan still for sure, but maybe the issue is about Gasol wanting out after how they jacked him around last year and clearly no commitment to a consistent role.

Dallas has a billion centers, but I'd be interested if he came free for sure.

I'll have to eat crow if the lakers dump Gasol for Jordan. Would hate that.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#219 » by jayu70 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:41 pm

oh boy!
Read on Twitter
?s=20
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,091