Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 4.0

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,291

Re: Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 4.0 

Post#61 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

How does a non guaranteed player option work? Is that the same as mutual option?
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,878

Post#62 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:50 pm

Resistance wrote:
drosestruts wrote:Boston just created a $17M trade exception by making Fournier to the Knicks a sign & trade. Do they use this trade exception to take in Markkanen? would that make sense for their team?

Reports are the Bulls have wanted a first round pick for Lauri and to not take back any long-term money. If Celtics were willing to give a 1st, Boston could get fit Markkanen into their trade exception and Chicago could get their 1st (recouping a pick given up for Vuc and DeMar) while taking back no money.

Pretty sure it would put Boston into the tax, not sure how comfortable they are with that.

Basketball Insiders and Spotrac have them already over the Luxury Tax Line.

Boston

Boston

The team salary is in the area of the Hard Cap of $143,002,000. Since a team doing a Sign & Trade is not allowed to go over the Hard Cap, they would need to send out about the same amount of salary that is coming in.

This may have potential for Boston to be a 3rd team in a Markkanen sign and trade if Chicago doesn't want to take money back. Just an example off the top of my head and not saying any team would be interested would be:

Boston - Kleber, Burke
Dallas - Markkanen
Chicago - TPE, Mavs 1st, Celtics 2nd
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,062

Post#63 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

How does a non guaranteed player option work? Is that the same as mutual option?

Kind of. There’s no mechanism in the NBA for a mutual option, but this setup would kind of allow for that. Basically, the player option just allows a little safety for Hart to opt out of the last year if his value grows, while allowing the team plenty of safety to “opt out” by waiving at any point.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:10 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Resistance wrote:
drosestruts wrote:Boston just created a $17M trade exception by making Fournier to the Knicks a sign & trade. Do they use this trade exception to take in Markkanen? would that make sense for their team?

Reports are the Bulls have wanted a first round pick for Lauri and to not take back any long-term money. If Celtics were willing to give a 1st, Boston could get fit Markkanen into their trade exception and Chicago could get their 1st (recouping a pick given up for Vuc and DeMar) while taking back no money.

Pretty sure it would put Boston into the tax, not sure how comfortable they are with that.

Boston

Boston

The team salary is in the area of the Hard Cap of $143,002,000. Since a team doing a Sign & Trade is not allowed to go over the Hard Cap, they would need to send out about the same amount of salary that is coming in.

This may have potential for Boston to be a 3rd team in a Markkanen sign and trade if Chicago doesn't want to take money back. Just an example off the top of my head and not saying any team would be interested would be:

Boston - Kleber, Burke
Dallas - Markkanen

Problem there is that, as Resistance was trying to point out, Boston is perilously close to the hard cap (unlikely bonuses are factored in), so they essentially can’t use the TPE to absorb salary at this time, without otherwise clearing salary, which would then likely just be a simultaneous trade.

Boston has the mechanism (TPE) to absorb salary right now. They don’t have the ability to (too close to the hard cap) at this time.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#65 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Boston

Boston

Boston - Kleber, Burke
Dallas - Markkanen

Problem there is that, as Resistance was trying to point out, Boston is perilously close to the hard cap (unlikely bonuses are factored in), so they essentially can’t use the TPE to absorb salary at this time, without otherwise clearing salary, which would then likely just be a simultaneous trade.

Boston has the mechanism (TPE) to absorb salary right now. They don’t have the ability to (too close to the hard cap) at this time.

Celtics are not hard capped nor would they be in this transaction. They can go over the cap as much as they like. It's just how much are they willing to pay in luxury tax. They can't do a Markkanen sign and trade directly with the Bulls because of the reasons you stated.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:21 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:This may have potential for Boston to be a 3rd team in a Markkanen sign and trade if Chicago doesn't want to take money back. Just an example off the top of my head and not saying any team would be interested would be:

Boston - Kleber, Burke
Dallas - Markkanen

Celtics are not hard cap nor would they be in this transaction. They can go over the cap as much as they like. They can't do a Markkanen sign and trade directly with the Bulls because of the reasons you stated.

Ah, you’re totally right. I quickly thought you were responding in the S&T acquisition form.

The only other issue I see is, is Boston willing to pay the luxury tax? They’ve surprisingly been one of the lowest payers of luxury tax since its inception, and I see them more likely to try and duck under this year than to take on an additional $12m or so in salary and go further into it.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#67 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Celtics are not hard cap nor would they be in this transaction. They can go over the cap as much as they like. They can't do a Markkanen sign and trade directly with the Bulls because of the reasons you stated.

Ah, you’re totally right. I quickly thought you were responding in the S&T acquisition form.

The only other issue I see is, is Boston willing to pay the luxury tax? They’ve surprisingly been one of the lowest payers of luxury tax since its inception, and I see them more likely to try and duck under this year than to take on an additional $12m or so in salary and go further into it.

Read on Twitter

As you mentioned, I don't know how much the Celtics are willing to go into the luxury tax. I would imagine it depends on the player they would be receiving.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#68 » by bondom34 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:55 pm

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#69 » by daoneandonly » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:58 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good for him. Also glad Dallas didn't hire him just for the nostalgia factor
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#70 » by bondom34 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:18 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well they did add one assistant.
Read on Twitter

Edit: Not a nostalgia trip :D.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#71 » by shangrila » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:36 pm

bondom34 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well they did add one assistant.
Read on Twitter

Edit: Not a nostalgia trip :D.

It’s starting to feel like every new coaching staff is mandated to have at least one former WNBA player on it.

Not complaining, just find it interesting.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:00 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Celtics are not hard cap nor would they be in this transaction. They can go over the cap as much as they like. They can't do a Markkanen sign and trade directly with the Bulls because of the reasons you stated.

Read on Twitter

As you mentioned, I don't know how much the Celtics are willing to go into the luxury tax. I would imagine it depends on the player they would be receiving.

Yeah. It's all well and good, but until they actually end a season in the tax, I highly doubt they will. I see it more likely they waive Parker before the season for the $2+m in savings, and then pay to dump Dunn somewhere, and end up just under the tax, than that they make a big move and jump deeper into the tax.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#73 » by zimpy27 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:16 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah. It's all well and good, but until they actually end a season in the tax, I highly doubt they will. I see it more likely they waive Parker before the season for the $2+m in savings, and then pay to dump Dunn somewhere, and end up just under the tax, than that they make a big move and jump deeper into the tax.

Yeah I expect if Boston wants to pay tax then they will be doing it for buyout guys or veterans on minimums as the season goes on.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#74 » by jayu70 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:04 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,797

Post#75 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:30 am

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Potentially a good mentor for Trae Young.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,536

Post#76 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:14 am

I like Nance for Djj and a 1st.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#77 » by babyjax13 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:58 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Additional notes:
* Many teams have inquired about Larry Nance Jr.
* Pistons are considering dumping Sekou Doumbouya or Jahlil Okafor
* Cavs are targeting Cam Reddish
* More Cavs' targets: Terrence Ross, Joe Ingles, Bojan Bogdanovic, T.J. Warren, Thaddeus Young, Tobias Harris, Jeremy Lamb and Harrison Barnes

Read on Twitter
?s=21

What a weird list for the Cavs, I have no idea what they are doing if that's true, most of those are just stupid targets for a team that isn't going anywhere right now. Bogdanovic, Ingles, and Thad in particular, since they are all 32+

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#78 » by shangrila » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:09 am

babyjax13 wrote:
* More Cavs' targets: Terrence Ross, Joe Ingles, Bojan Bogdanovic, T.J. Warren, Thaddeus Young, Tobias Harris, Jeremy Lamb and Harrison Barnes

Read on Twitter
?s=21

What a weird list for the Cavs, I have no idea what they are doing if that's true, most of those are just stupid targets for a team that isn't going anywhere right now. Bogdanovic, Ingles, and Thad in particular, since they are all 32+

I guess they want some adults in the room?

They probably figure they’re set between Garland, Mobley and Okoro and are looking to start making progress in the wins column.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#79 » by zimpy27 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:45 am

babyjax13 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

They need a decent SFs. Their team is:
PG: Garland | Rubio
SG: Okoro | Sexton
SF:
PF: Mobley | Love
C: Allen | Nance

They can shift Okoro to SF but that makes them small and provides poor guard defense.
They have Cedi and Windler at SF, they are ok as a backup but they really need a starting level SF for now and/or the future.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#80 » by gambitx777 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:57 am

zimpy27 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

They need a decent SFs. Their team is:
PG: Garland | Rubio
SG: Okoro | Sexton
SF:
PF: Mobley | Love
C: Allen | Nance

They can shift Okoro to SF but that makes them small and provides poor guard defense.
They have Cedi and Windler at SF, they are ok as a backup but they really need a starting level SF for now and/or the future.
If they could get cam and a guy like Ross or Joe that be pretty mint

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Trades and Transactions