Offseason Grades - Dallas Mavericks

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Offseason Grades - Dallas Mavericks 

Post#1 » by bondom34 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:22 am

Up next, with a "guest" reviewer (he's well known in these parts), the Dallas Mavericks.

Texas Chuck's offseason grade:

Dallas Mavericks transactions

Front office
Replaced Donnie Nelson Jr. as GM with Nico Harrison.
Replaced Rick Carlisle as coach with Jason Kidd.

Draft
none.

Trades
Traded Josh Richardson for Moses Brown, TPE.

Free agency
Extended Luka Doncic, 5/max.
Picked up TO on Willie Cauley-Stein, 1/$4.1M.
Re-signed Tim Hardaway Jr., 4/$75M.
Re-signed Boban Marjanovic, 2/$7M.
Signed Reggie Bullock, 3/$30M.
Signed Sterling Brown, 2/$6M.

Offseason Thoughts

So the biggest changes were also the most unexpected--at least for me. No more Donnie and no more Rick. Seismic shifts really. A totally unproven guy in Harrison gets the GM role and and increased role for Finley. Finley has been paying his dues and I'm glad to see him get more responsibility. Have no idea how the shoe guy is going to do, but clearly the idea is his relationships with stars is going to get one to Dallas. That better happen because Donnie will be missed. Kidd in for Rick just feels like a massive downgrade. Rick had his flaws, but sure felt like Dallas had the coaching edge almost every night.

As to the roster this is essentially just running it back hoping Bullock fits better than Richardson. To say I'm underwhelmed and disappointed would be an understatement. This team didn't just need a minor tweak. It needed a major addition. It appears to be Dallas thought only 2 free agents were difference makers in Kawhi and Lowry and they were never in the running(bad sign for the new GM perhaps?) and I understand they have limited assets. But they needed better than this.

Grade

C -- because Luka signed no fuss no muss and they got the 5 year deal so they have his last rookie year and 4 supermax years under control. That's a significant win and shouldn't be taken for granted. But doing nothing to help Luka is a massive fail.

2022 Prediction

5 or 6 seed. I think they avoid the play-in, but its hard to see them a HCA team so slotting them in here. Competitive in the first round again with a chance of advancing if they get a favorable matchup.

Offseason in gif form

K_Chile22's offseason grade:

Front office

Draft
none.

Trades

Free agency

Offseason Thoughts

Going to start off with the FO/Coaching stuff:
What a mess. Maybe Harrison works out but I thought Nelson Jr. was good at his job considering how heavily into things Cuban is. I'm fairly confident the Kidd thing will not work out. He was a bad coach in MIL that no one besides, oddly enough, Giannis enjoyed playing under. Carlisle is an excellent head coach. Big knock there.
Getting a TPE for Richardson was nice, Luka extension was great but expected.
All of their signings were totally fine, but nothing very exciting, Sterling Brown will be a sneaky good pickup for them if he shoots like he did in Houston. They did nothing to help relieve Luka of some ball handling responsibilities though.

They also either chose not to make Brunson an RFA or his last year is actually a non guarantee and not an option, not sure which is true. If it's the former I definitely think that was the wrong move absent an extension, if it was the latter then that was a terrible move but one made several off-seasons ago, so can't really factor that in here.

Grade
D+. Didn't do anything to help shore up their biggest deficiency and had a whole bunch of dysfunction. Not giving them much of a bump for the luka extension because no one ever turns those deals down coming off a rookie deal.
2022 Prediction
Middle of the pack playoff team, somewhere between 4th and 7th
Offseason in gif form

Mamba4goat's offseason grade:

Front office

Draft
none.

Trades

Free agency

Offseason Thoughts
The Mavs offseason had so much potential and then star by star that faded away. They had great intentions with the likes of Giannis, a healthy Dipo, and others set to potentially join Luka before his max sets in. Instead, they brought Tim Hardaway Jr back. Bringing in Reggie Bullock and Sterling Brown to bolster the wings is great though as their only option was really Dorian Finney Smith.

Grade
C
It was a middling offseason that featured the team improving on the margins. Will always be a fun what could've been type offseason though.
2022 Prediction
5-8 seed. They are a fun team, but I don't think they're quite a home-court advantage team yet. Especially with Zinger's health risk.
Offseason in gif form

bondom34's offseason grade:

Front office

Draft
none.

Trades

Free agency

Offseason Thoughts
Signing Luka is just such a huge win. Its a necessity and any offseason you can lock up a guy like that its a huge move for the franchise. Despite missing out on the bigger name free agents bringing back Hardaway at a reasonable price and getting Reggie Bullock were two other solid free agency moves I have no issue. Really don't have much a problem with anything the Mavs did in this sense even though they were aiming higher and hoping to upgrade. Obviously wish they could have found something but they didn't and there are worse options than running it back with some development and having Doncic on a long term contract. That said there are also better.

But then....the elephant in the room. Its tough to look at the Mavs offseason without looking at the front office/coaching upheaval and having some sirens go off in my head. Kidd has history as a coach and it's just not good, and Carlisle does and its very good. The whole Vulgaris saga was ugly, and replacing Nelson with an unknown feels questionable. There's just a lot going on with this that even though its not directly player related drags this whole thing down to me.

Grade
D+, and this is the one I debated with a bit, the actual on court moves weren't nearly this bad but I can't escape this weird sinking feeling looking back at the front office shake up and I hope it's nothing but can't shake it

2022 Prediction
5th or 6th in the West
Offseason in gif form

MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Re: Offseason Grades - Dallas Mavericks 

Post#2 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:19 am

Felt like they overpaid bullock , they are basically running it back with Kidd as HC which …Will go ok or terrible… I don’t think the improved the team but it’s hard in their situation . Ill give them C not bad not good average really
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#3 » by realEAST » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:28 am

I'd grade their offseason as D-.

First off, I think front office and coaching moves and all the drama surrounding it didn't shed a good light on organization, especially all the Harlabob related stuff that surfaced, as well as Carlisle leaving the team - very surprising move and big loss for the team - I think that was a symptom of something bad within the organization. Only good move was adding Kokoskov, not because he is Slovenian and Luka's ex-coach (that pandering to Doncic was also a bit pathetic and sign of insecurity with their moves and state of the team), but because he is a really good assistant.

As for Free Agency, the main conceptual miss call was choosing to operate as over the cap team - Mavericks essentially missed an opportunity to add another player in appx. 13.5 mil starting salary range. And for what? To keep Bobi (who I am sure could be resigned for vet min) and WCS. Such a bad call.

Instead, they should have renounced everybody, trade out Burke and his 3 mil salary along a 2nd rounder or two, and get to 39 mil in cap space.

Now, not even discussing "what ifs" of going after younger guys like Collins or Ball or whoever, or agreeing to a deal with Hardaway too soon and for too much money, and just sticking with what they have done - resigning Hardaway, adding Bullock and Brown - they could have had a much bettter offseason, having that additional cap space open which would enable them to add another impact player.

So, let's say they have resigned Hardaway to his current deal, only back loaded, which would make it start at around 16 mil, thus leaving 23 millions of cap space. You could use that space to add any of D. Graham, L. Markkanen, R. Holmes, facilitating a move for Dragic, or whatever else, before signing Bullock and S. Brown with BAE. Point is, even in the most conservative scenario, they could have gotten another valuable piece that would solve some of the team's most glaring issues (interior defense and rebounding or lack of another ball handler / creator), which they decided to pass on for reason that is beyond my grasp.

This way, for the next three to four years they are stuck with middling 1st round exit team, with not much possibility of an upside from within a team (basically waiting for Porzinigs renaissance) and with virtually no valuable trade assets, whose departure wouldn't leave a giant hole in rotation.

Such a weird and stupid approach in such a crucial moment for a team.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#4 » by Apz » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:40 pm

Meh, pointless to say stuff like "they could have signed another fa if they had done x". Truth is there were pretty much none available fa I would have have wanted to sign. A good fa market that turned **** before the window even opened. THJ pretty much were the best and they signed him. I wouldnt have hurried to sign boban tho. Like the guy, but he is so situational that I dobt see the value.

I would give them a C. Mainly because while im dissapointed in the outcome, I dont really see anything realistic they could have done better thag would have made me put it higher. Its not over yet tho, might be some trade tvat brings it up or down
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#5 » by eminence » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:22 pm

Replaced Carlisle with Kidd. That's a big ouch. Other than extending Luka I don't see much positive. Bullock/Brown are okay, but I don't like them any more than Richardson.

D-. Because extending is a no-brainer for Luka and a everything else was meh to absolute suck.
I bought a boat.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:27 pm

realEAST wrote:
As for Free Agency, the main conceptual miss call was choosing to operate as over the cap team - Mavericks essentially missed an opportunity to add another player in appx. 13.5 mil starting salary range. And for what? To keep Bobi (who I am sure could be resigned for vet min) and WCS. Such a bad call.

Instead, they should have renounced everybody, trade out Burke and his 3 mil salary along a 2nd rounder or two, and get to 39 mil in cap space.

Now, not even discussing "what ifs" of going after younger guys like Collins or Ball or whoever, or agreeing to a deal with Hardaway too soon and for too much money, and just sticking with what they have done - resigning Hardaway, adding Bullock and Brown - they could have had a much bettter offseason, having that additional cap space open which would enable them to add another impact player.

So, let's say they have resigned Hardaway to his current deal, only back loaded, which would make it start at around 16 mil, thus leaving 23 millions of cap space. You could use that space to add any of D. Graham, L. Markkanen, R. Holmes, facilitating a move for Dragic, or whatever else, before signing Bullock and S. Brown with BAE. Point is, even in the most conservative scenario, they could have gotten another valuable piece that would solve some of the team's most glaring issues (interior defense and rebounding or lack of another ball handler / creator), which they decided to pass on for reason that is beyond my grasp.

I don't disagree with you in theory. I think we all wanted to see Dallas add an impact player. But for better or worse they decided there were only 2--Kawhi and Lowry. And when I look at your list of names they "should" have added, sorry but I don't see how a single one of those guys has them any better off than they are right now.

And as to operating over the cap versus under it once they realized they had no shot at a player who moved the needle. Do you really think a $13.5M player does enough more than the MLE to also sacrifice the assets to dump Burke, the loss of their best defensive center, and the TPE? I definitely do not. Especially again looking at the names you had them adding with $40M in space available.

Look the off-season sucked. But staying over the cap was one thing they appear to have gotten correct.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
realEAST
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by realEAST » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:28 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
realEAST wrote:

I don't disagree with you in theory. I think we all wanted to see Dallas add an impact player. But for better or worse they decided there were only 2--Kawhi and Lowry. And when I look at your list of names they "should" have added, sorry but I don't see how a single one of those guys has them any better off than they are right now.

And as to operating over the cap versus under it once they realized they had no shot at a player who moved the needle. Do you really think a $13.5M player does enough more than the MLE to also sacrifice the assets to dump Burke, the loss of their best defensive center, and the TPE? I definitely do not. Especially again looking at the names you had them adding with $40M in space available.

Look the off-season sucked. But staying over the cap was one thing they appear to have gotten correct.

Thing is, if they went under the cap, they would have still managed to sign all of Bullock, Hardaway and S. Brown, but on top of that they could have add another guy for 13.5 mil. For me it is pretty simple choice really.

Each of them can help immediately (Holmes more than the others), deepen relatively thin rotation, and some of them offer future upside (Markkanen, to lesser degree Graham).

It comes down to do you prefer having let's say Richaun Holmes over Burke, WCS (who is going to play, 5 to 10 mins at best) and a 2nd rounder. I most definitely do. Adding any one of those guys to what you already have is better then not adding anyone, right?
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:38 pm

realEAST wrote:
It comes down to do you prefer having let's say Richaun Holmes over Burke, WCS (who is going to play, 5 to 10 mins at best) and a 2nd rounder. I most definitely do. Adding any one of those guys to what you already have is better then not adding anyone, right?

Holmes is better than WCS/Burke/2nd sure. But he's only a backup center in Dallas and thus again I don't see how not doing that and keeping WCS, the TPE, and the 2nd is grotesquely worse.

Especially since there were other paths to add those players while operating over the cap if there was mutual interest. Goodness knows I spent 2 weeks working on Lauri S&T deals as a low probability asset play.

Plus now you have a worse structure on the THJ contract.

I just don't think Holmes is so good that choosing this other path is that much worse.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
realEAST
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by realEAST » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:50 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
realEAST wrote:

Holmes is better than WCS/Burke/2nd sure. But he's only a backup center in Dallas and thus again I don't see how not doing that and keeping WCS, the TPE, and the 2nd is grotesquely worse.

Especially since there were other paths to add those players while operating over the cap if there was mutual interest. Goodness knows I spent 2 weeks working on Lauri S&T deals as a low probability asset play.

Plus now you have a worse structure on the THJ contract.

I just don't think Holmes is so good that choosing this other path is that much worse.

I think Holmes could start along KP, he is versatile enough on defense, and on offense he would be only non-shooter, but is a vertical threat and great screen setter, so I don't think there would be a problem. But as I said, Graham, Markkanen or any other guy - I mean it is pure addition, so it got to make you better, especially when you don't have an easy way of adding talent, and are at the same time in a need of at least one good rotation player.

As for adding anyone while being over the cap, there is an example how it didn't work, and actually is Markkanen - he wanted to come, Dallas was interested, but Bulls asked for too much. If they had cap space to sign him outright, this wouldn't be an issue.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#10 » by gom » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:57 pm

You guys are too harsh on the Mavericks. Resigning Luka should already give them a B, and nothing Kidd does will diminish that. And while Luka is on the Mavericks, they are going to have a chance. Hardaway was also a good signing. I have no real issues with the other guys, and while I'm a fan of JRich, they gave him plenty of chances. Time to move forward.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Texas Chuck

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:57 pm

realEAST wrote:
As for adding anyone while being over the cap, there is an example how it didn't work, and actually is Markkanen - he wanted to come, Dallas was interested, but Bulls asked for too much. If they had cap space to sign him outright, this wouldn't be an issue.

Source on Dallas' interest? I don't recall ever seeing that.

I think mostly though you seem to see Lauri, Graham, and Holmes as real difference makers and I do not. I agree that any one them certainly upgrades the 15 man roster so you are correct it makes the team marginally better. But at marginally I simply disagree that operating over the cap versus under was a tragic decision.

But bottom line the off-season sucked. Losing Donnie and Rick hurt the most, but not adding a difference maker hurts too. I just don't see any of those guys as difference makers. Dallas needs up upgrade their best 5 and none of the players you cited would be in that lineup.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#12 » by mademan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:08 pm

Getting Luka to sign makes it a win.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#13 » by gom » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Also, I'm near certain Dragić will show up in Dallas this season and Luka will ascend. Patience is warranted.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
realEAST
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by realEAST » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
realEAST wrote:

Source on Dallas' interest? I don't recall ever seeing that.

I think mostly though you seem to see Lauri, Graham, and Holmes as real difference makers and I do not. I agree that any one them certainly upgrades the 15 man roster so you are correct it makes the team marginally better. But at marginally I simply disagree that operating over the cap versus under was a tragic decision.

But bottom line the off-season sucked. Losing Donnie and Rick hurt the most, but not adding a difference maker hurts too. I just don't see any of those guys as difference makers. Dallas needs up upgrade their best 5 and none of the players you cited would be in that lineup.

I agree that adding a difference maker should have been plan #1, but even if this doesn't pan out, if you can add a starter (Holmes), 6th (Graham) or 7th man who still has upside (Markkanen) and can potentially become part of the core, only for cap space, then you do it without too much hesitation.

It is not just about improving starting unit or rotation, it also about adding an asset you can use in some potential future trade, which Mavs sorely lack.

As for interest in Lauri, this is a quick google, but there were some tweets also (don't have Twitter, so can't find those):

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/08/19/mavericks-reportedly-interested-in-markkanen-but-on-their-terms/

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/8/10/22618960/mavericks-registering-interesting-in-rfa-lauri-markkanen-per-marc-stein
Texas Chuck

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks for the links. Yeah if Stein had it, then I trust some validity. Of course the contract number may have been a bigger issue than satisfying the Bulls because Dallas wouldn't have had to saddle them an unwanted player like DJJ if they used jay's creativity. But yeah if Chicago wanted a first I don't think Dallas was ever paying that.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 pm

gom wrote:You guys are too harsh on the Mavericks. Resigning Luka should already give them a B, and nothing Kidd does will diminish that. And while Luka is on the Mavericks, they are going to have a chance. Hardaway was also a good signing. I have no real issues with the other guys, and while I'm a fan of JRich, they gave him plenty of chances. Time to move forward.

I dont think resigning a star in this era can up your grade much. Since it doesnt really indicate the star will stay. demanding out, and then bring traded to your team of choice for 75 cents on the dollar seems to be really common with players/agents calling the shots.

its great they locked up Luka. but if they keep rolling over the roster, it wont matter that he has 2-3 years left if he wants out he's getting out.
Texas Chuck

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:32 pm

Prokorov wrote:
gom wrote:You guys are too harsh on the Mavericks. Resigning Luka should already give them a B, and nothing Kidd does will diminish that. And while Luka is on the Mavericks, they are going to have a chance. Hardaway was also a good signing. I have no real issues with the other guys, and while I'm a fan of JRich, they gave him plenty of chances. Time to move forward.

I dont think resigning a star in this era can up your grade much. Since it doesnt really indicate the star will stay. demanding out, and then bring traded to your team of choice for 75 cents on the dollar seems to be really common with players/agents calling the shots.

its great they locked up Luka. but if they keep rolling over the roster, it wont matter that he has 2-3 years left if he wants out he's getting out.

If your argument is this doesn't guarantee Dallas 5 more years of Luka, I absolutely agree.

But him not signing an extension would be a much worse sign for keeping him long term, so I don't understand seeing as anything but a significant positive.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#18 » by Prokorov » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:38 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

If your argument is this doesn't guarantee Dallas 5 more years of Luka, I absolutely agree.

But him not signing an extension would be a much worse sign for keeping him long term, so I don't understand seeing as anything but a significant positive.

To me how i grade it is:

not signing - big negative to grade
signing - minor positive to grade

not signing is definitive. singing to me is not definitive

i had the same take with the nets. for me KD extending barely moves the needle
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,824

Post#19 » by psman2 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:50 pm

C - Really not many options of what they can do. Grade could increase a little if they do something worthwhile with the TPE. They are basically in a holding pattern until they have more assets available to trade or for a player breaks out. Luka's sudden greatness is a blessing and a curse. He forces then to be in a win now mode, but they don't have the players or assets to trade for better players to really be a contender. The KP trade backfiring is going to set them back a few years until they can really make another push for a star. A KP resurgence could change their outlook in a hurry and I think given his likely low trade value, it's ride or die with him for a few seasons.

I think they are stuck in a 5-7 seed for at least the next two years.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#20 » by K_chile22 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:55 pm

I don't give them much credit for re-signing Luka because no matter what, nobody has ever turned down a max rookie extension. I only give teams bumps for extensions on guys who aren't about to be RFA or extend on what I think was a below market deal (maxes don't count there)

Return to Trades and Transactions