Suns/Houston

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Re: Suns/Houston 

Post#21 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:07 pm

ZombieKilla wrote:They aren’t trading good players for crap just because someone dangles a 1st in front of them.

Did the Westbrook for Wall deal not really happen? Sure seems like it happened. And please do not tell me Westbrook wasn't a good player or that Wall isn't bad. Do not do that if you want me to take your response seriously.

I think its okay to say I don't want my team to do this. Or even to say historically that's not what we do. But when it just happened a year ago, we should acknowledge that sometimes our team does in fact do this sort of thing. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#22 » by jbk1234 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:33 pm

The issue I see is that Wood is pretty middling defender himself, not as bad as Cam, but no one's idea of good either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#23 » by TheNewEra » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:05 pm

Thought Westbrook wanted out and they had to find whatever they could to match contracts
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#24 » by ZombieKilla » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:22 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
ZombieKilla wrote:They aren’t trading good players for crap just because someone dangles a 1st in front of them.

Did the Westbrook for Wall deal not really happen? Sure seems like it happened. And please do not tell me Westbrook wasn't a good player or that Wall isn't bad. Do not do that if you want me to take your response seriously.

I think its okay to say I don't want my team to do this. Or even to say historically that's not what we do. But when it just happened a year ago, we should acknowledge that sometimes our team does in fact do this sort of thing. :D

Westbrook demanded a trade and nobody else wanted him.
Even a casual fan would know that.
I couldn’t care less if you take my responses seriously.
You sure do take the time to reply to all of them.
It’s pretty creepy.
desi tmac91
Junior
And1: 292

Post#25 » by desi tmac91 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:20 am

Stunned Suns fans say no. I thought this was an easy decline from Houston's side.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#26 » by ThatBoyNick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:30 am

Off the bat, House, Saric +Smith all have relatively little value. I'd boil this down, value wise as Cam for Wood

Cam is a good player, guys who are long and shoot the ball the way he can will obviously have a long career, but I'm not seeing the big upside, being that he's already 25 (Wood is 25), to gap where he is as a player to what Wood is as a player.

The only major consideration here to attempt to gap value is the contracts, Cam is on a rookie deal and will be a RFA, Wood will be UFA in 2 years. That's not nothing, but IMO, still not enough to warrant the downgrade from a 20ppg guy to an 8ppg guy (that isn't really anymore of defender).

That's for Hou's perspective, for Suns perspective, they just went to the finals, and Cam played a legit role in seriously stretching the floor. Similar to Duncan Robinson, Korver, Reddick, playoff teams really value the next-level spacing those types of players bring, perhaps it's not worth the shakeup for them, Cwood would deserve touches in the post and Phx already has Ayton in the middle who they are trying to develop.

No from Houston, probably meh from Suns because of the fit and contract situation
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#27 » by patman66 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:31 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
pipfan wrote:I think Saric/Smith and a future lightly protected 1st for Wood is better

I don't think Smith has much value until he actually at least has flashes. Does not bode well that they didn't trust him to be the backup C next year. Not sure Saric+Smith has positive value, so that's a definite no

What ever smith value is is offset by paying saric 9 mill to sit this year. so to me it is a lightly protected first for Wood, which to me is light, considering Phx is a playoff team that is getting an upgrade in Wood. Mid 20s?
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#28 » by Phystic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:42 pm

Xman wrote:Cam is good offensively.
Terrible on d. Even during his “big” game he was abused. Who ever he was covering scored. Six times in a row during the Bucks run.
Guy might improve but not playable at this point.

Wood is not being moved unless significant compensation is given.

That's an impressively wrong take.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,151

Post#29 » by Darthlukey » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:29 am

pipfan wrote:In my deal of Wood for Saric/Smith and a lightly protected future 1st-the main get is the future 1st.
Hous should go for the worst record again-full on tank to guarantee a top pick. This deal would help them do this, and free up minutes for that Turkish kid. Maybe the future 1st is unprotected?

Yup, Wood should be available for virtually any team with a $13m expiring contract (ideally expiring) and 2 non-lottery 1sts. Houston bottoms out and gets some more 1sts. Dont have to be non-lottery, but non-competing teams would have no use for Wood
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#30 » by Phystic » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:02 pm

patman66 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
pipfan wrote:I think Saric/Smith and a future lightly protected 1st for Wood is better

I don't think Smith has much value until he actually at least has flashes. Does not bode well that they didn't trust him to be the backup C next year. Not sure Saric+Smith has positive value, so that's a definite no

What ever smith value is is offset by paying saric 9 mill to sit this year. so to me it is a lightly protected first for Wood, which to me is light, considering Phx is a playoff team that is getting an upgrade in Wood. Mid 20s?

I'm not certain but I believe Saric should qualify for injured player exception right?
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#31 » by patman66 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:05 pm

Phystic wrote:
patman66 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:

I'm not certain but I believe Saric should qualify for injured player exception right?

One of the gurus here will have to answer it with any certainity, but my thoughts was that does not transfer between teams.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#32 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:13 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Suns decline, we really like Cam.

you need a big to pair with Ayton id do it or play dario :o I'm for that! Lossing payne would be pain but a necessary evil
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#33 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:14 pm

desi tmac91 wrote:Stunned Suns fans say no. I thought this was an easy decline from Houston's side.

it should be from the HOU i know they are in rebuilding mode but cam would be useless on the rockets
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#34 » by Fo-Real » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:

you need a big to pair with Ayton id do it or play dario :o I'm for that! Lossing payne would be pain but a necessary evil

Wood aint the right big and if Cam Payne was the cam that was meant instead of Cam Johnson, then OP isn't asking for much.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#35 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:45 pm

Fo-Real wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:

Wood aint the right big and if Cam Payne was the cam that was meant instead of Cam Johnson, then OP isn't asking for much.
I like cam but he doesnt get enough time idk why. Can we get have him :D
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#36 » by Lost Angel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:01 pm

I think Wood is a good player. If he can be had for this, then the Knicks should definitely make a play.

I’d also like to see Wood on a team like Portland
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,959

Post#37 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:42 pm

Rockets decline. Wood is a 20-10 player who has an outside path to becoming an all star. Cam is a good player but projects to be a role player at best.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,494

Post#38 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Phystic wrote:
Xman wrote:Cam is good offensively.
Terrible on d. Even during his “big” game he was abused. Who ever he was covering scored. Six times in a row during the Bucks run.
Guy might improve but not playable at this point.

Wood is not being moved unless significant compensation is given.

That's an impressively wrong take.

To build a bit off of what Phystic is saying, Here's an example-
Trevor William Marks (@twmarks_) Tweeted:
Cam Johnson post defense vs. Giannis https://t.co/X6puWZ6MU3
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I don't think anyone is implying that Cam is an elite or lockdown defender ( yet) but at the very least he is solid definitely " playable " and improving. Even heading into the draft his defensive aptitude was a relative unknown to most. But he's an intelligent player that knows how to utilize positioning and his size situationally plus he brings constant effort too. I believe as his athleticism develops more and he gets stronger in a professional NBA environment, His defense will advance further as well. To be clear, I love Woods' game and congratulations to you guys in getting him! I honestly wanted him ( or Jerami Grant) over bringing in Crowder and resigning Saric. But Especially Wood for his size, length, athleticism, mobility. I think we might have Faried better against the bucks in the finals with more size from either. But what's done is done. Cam has as much value to us as Wood had to you guys. And I believe his defensive potential/ trajectory is underrated. :dontknow:

Return to Trades and Transactions