Wiseman to OKC

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Re: Wiseman to OKC 

Post#41 » by Commodor » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:49 pm

eminence wrote:
Commodor wrote:
eminence wrote:I guess I don't get writing the depth chart like that, I'd love if Poole (or Dort in this scenario) were better playmakers, but they aren't. Someone will still be playing the 'pg' spot when Steph sits even if the playmaking load is more distributed. If you know of any good playmakers we could target (who make a comparable amount to Dort) feel free to post the deal - off the top of my head Jalen Brunson might be the only one in the league.

I obviously agree on the value of Favors, but Dort is the value of this deal, not Favors. Favors is a way to directly get a rotation quality big when it may be otherwise tricky to fill that role. Muscala would be a reasonable option as well directly from the Thunder, but that trade would have to wait a bit longer.

Obviously I would've liked Gasol, he also pretty obviously turned us down. Past that, there's nobody equal to Favors on the FA market left (unless Baynes heals).

I can understand saying Poole is a distributor as we have tried to develop him as a PG for a couple years but in reality he's played much better as an attacking scorer than distributor.

Dort can only be related to a 1 spot because his height. He averaged 1.7 assists this year and .8 last year what am I missing? That is not his role and when I say that is a need for the team I mean we need a real distributor. Not someone who is short.

Pre-draft this may have made some more sense but now I cannot imagine GSW giving up Wiseman for more wing depth.

I said that the playmaking load is distributed, not that Poole/Dort are distributors. Dray/Steph then Iggy (not sure what he's got left) is our playmaking hierarchy. JTA/Looney/Poole are all decent passers that can fit into the system if not particularly noteworthy. OPJ/Klay/Wiggins not particularly good passers, but not blackholes either.

I think we had more problems on the offensive glass than anything related to playmaking.

One of the reasons I originally suggested Favors as the big to fill Wisemans slot in this deal, as he's a very strong offensive rebounder.

At the height of the dynasty GSW always had Livingston to supplement the distribution and that was with a peak Iguodala. I am extremely hesitant to rely heavily on Iguodala this season so I think it is more important than you are phrasing it. Also the pursuit of Collison & Arcidiacono would indicate that GSW is concerned with that area also.

Favors would be an absolute must if we give up Wiseman but as we both seem to agree he is not a driving factor in this other than to be a big body. Judging that there was little chatter around Gasol or the other cheap Cs this summer and a lot of chatter around Millsap I would think that just getting a big plodding center is not the strategy the FO wants to take to solve the offensive rebounding issue.

If we could get Dort for the 2022 and salary filler I'd happily take him on, but I think giving up one of our best assets for him doesn't solve anything in the short term and stunts other prospects' growth in the long term.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Re: Wiseman to OKC 

Post#42 » by eminence » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:25 pm

Commodor wrote:
eminence wrote:
Commodor wrote:
I can understand saying Poole is a distributor as we have tried to develop him as a PG for a couple years but in reality he's played much better as an attacking scorer than distributor.

Dort can only be related to a 1 spot because his height. He averaged 1.7 assists this year and .8 last year what am I missing? That is not his role and when I say that is a need for the team I mean we need a real distributor. Not someone who is short.

Pre-draft this may have made some more sense but now I cannot imagine GSW giving up Wiseman for more wing depth.

I said that the playmaking load is distributed, not that Poole/Dort are distributors. Dray/Steph then Iggy (not sure what he's got left) is our playmaking hierarchy. JTA/Looney/Poole are all decent passers that can fit into the system if not particularly noteworthy. OPJ/Klay/Wiggins not particularly good passers, but not blackholes either.

I think we had more problems on the offensive glass than anything related to playmaking.

One of the reasons I originally suggested Favors as the big to fill Wisemans slot in this deal, as he's a very strong offensive rebounder.

At the height of the dynasty GSW always had Livingston to supplement the distribution and that was with a peak Iguodala. I am extremely hesitant to rely heavily on Iguodala this season so I think it is more important than you are phrasing it. Also the pursuit of Collison & Arcidiacono would indicate that GSW is concerned with that area also.

Favors would be an absolute must if we give up Wiseman but as we both seem to agree he is not a driving factor in this other than to be a big body. Judging that there was little chatter around Gasol or the other cheap Cs this summer and a lot of chatter around Millsap I would think that just getting a big plodding center is not the strategy the FO wants to take to solve the offensive rebounding issue.

If we could get Dort for the 2022 and salary filler I'd happily take him on, but I think giving up one of our best assets for him doesn't solve anything in the short term and stunts other prospects' growth in the long term.

I agree that the playmaking will be less than the Livingston days. My goal is not those days, I don’t expect it’s attainable unless a bigger name than currently is availabe comes onto the market. My goal is lower end contention.

We’re talking in circles a bit here, you think it solves nothing, I think it makes a significantly better squad (Wiseman/Dort swap). I think the short term (~next 2 seasons) tops out a bit above play-in as long as Wiseman is on the roster. That’s the crux.
I bought a boat.

Return to Trades and Transactions