Ben Simmons trades go here (and here only): Expect warnings if not following forum rules

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,598

Re: Ben Simmons trades go here (and here only): Expect warnings if not following forum rules 

Post#221 » by NYG » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:15 am

I'm just gonna drop this here and then step away while I get bashed from all 4 fan bases...

Cavaliers trade Evan Mobley, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love and 2022 Top 4 Protected First Round Draft Pick (2023 - Top 4 / 2024 - Top 1 / 2025 - Unprotected) for Ben Simmons and Kristaps Porzingis
-The Cavs take a chance and go for it hoping the right culture could fix KP and Simmons (possibly even they compliment one where the other lacks). Either way, they keep Allen, Markkanen, Garland, Sexton and get off of Love outright.

Dallas Mavericks trade Kristaps Porzingis and Dwight Powell for John Wall and 2022 Cleveland Cavaliers Top 4 Protected First Round Draft Pick (2023 - Top 4 / 2024 - Top 1 / 2025 - Unprotected)
-The Mavericks downgrade on the court to perhaps an even bigger injury risk on a bigger contract than KP in John Wall in order to add an asset. They take a chance on Wall at his crazy salary, but could add a solid pick in the process.

Houston Rockets trade John Wall for Kevin Love and Dwight Powell
-The Rockets find a way to trade the immovable contract in Wall, save some money in the process, get a good locker room guy in Powell and could probably stomach the Love contract outright being bought out if Love got difficult versus the Wall contract. They find a way to do all of this without using any assets to get rid of Wall.

Philadelphia 76ers trade Ben Simmons for Ricky Rubio and Evan Mobley
-The 76ers save a ton of money, add a steady vet at PG in Rubio and get a legitimate trade asset down the line in Mobley for Simmons. That's about the highest end return they can hope for right now.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Re: Ben Simmons trades go here (and here only): Expect warnings if not following forum rules 

Post#222 » by zimpy27 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:19 am

jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
mademan wrote:
Love isnt bad enough of a contract for the Cavs to pay to dump. At least not now, before theyre in the tax.

What do you mean by pay?
I'd have Sextons value at around Thad+Milton+non-lotto FRP. So in this trade I guess Love is costing a non-lotto FRP to move. That seems about right for saving Cavs $50m salary and $40m tax next season.
Setting aside the question of Sexton's value, the Cavs don't have to move Love and Sexton together and unless the right offer comes along, there's no reason to. The Cavs don't have to move either of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

True, I agree they don't need to. Just thought this helps their team.

Is there a player instead of Milton that you might want from Philly?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,655

Post#223 » by toooskies » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:20 am

NYG wrote:I'm just gonna drop this here and then step away while I get bashed from all 4 fan bases...

Cavaliers trade Evan Mobley, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love and 2022 Top 4 Protected First Round Draft Pick (2023 - Top 4 / 2024 - Top 1 / 2025 - Unprotected) for Ben Simmons and Kristaps Porzingis
-The Cavs take a chance and go for it hoping the right culture could fix KP and Simmons (possibly even they compliment one where the other lacks). Either way, they keep Allen, Markkanen, Garland, Sexton and get off of Love outright.

Dallas Mavericks trade Kristaps Porzingis and Dwight Powell for John Wall and 2022 Cleveland Cavaliers Top 4 Protected First Round Draft Pick (2023 - Top 4 / 2024 - Top 1 / 2025 - Unprotected)
-The Mavericks downgrade on the court to perhaps an even bigger injury risk on a bigger contract than KP in John Wall in order to add an asset. They take a chance on Wall at his crazy salary, but could add a solid pick in the process.

-The Rockets find a way to trade the immovable contract in Wall, save some money in the process, get a good locker room guy in Powell and could probably stomach the Love contract outright being bought out if Love got difficult versus the Wall contract. They find a way to do all of this without using any assets to get rid of Wall.

-The 76ers save a ton of money, add a steady vet at PG in Rubio and get a legitimate trade asset down the line in Mobley for Simmons. That's about the highest end return they can hope for right now.

I wonder if Philly would want more salary back so they wouldn't need to trade a current rotation guy in a Beal or Lillard deal?

The Cavs turning into a unicorn stable is not something I expected, but it makes sense with Simmons. Paying the price of Mobley is tough but it's the call to push for the playoffs now.

Other than making good with Wall, I don't see why Houston does it. But maybe that's enough.

Dallas probably wants more, Wall could be a disaster. At a minimum, no protections on the pick they're getting.
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Post#224 » by realball » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:28 am

JRoy wrote:
realball wrote:Sixers trade: Ben Simmons, Tobias Harris
Sixers get: CJ McCollum, Malcolm Brogdon, Kyle Anderson

Sixers upgrade their backcourt and get a replacement forward for Harris as well.

Blazers out: CJ McCollum
Blazers in: Dillon Brooks, Malik Beasley, Marvin Bagley

Blazers trade CJ for depth.

Pacers trade: Malcolm Brogdon
Pacers get: Buddy Hield

Pacers get a less injury-prone player and hand over the PG reigns to Levert.

Kings trade: Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley
Kings get: Tobias Harris

Kings get some front-court scoring.

Grizzlies trade: Dillon Brooks, Kyle Anderson
Grizzlies get: Jaden McDaniels, Taurean Prince, 2022 1st

Grizzles trade their "vets" for a young player, a pick, and an expiring contract.

Wolves trade: Jaden McDaniels, Malik Beasley, Taurean Prince, 2022 1st
Wolves get: Ben Simmons

Wolves get Simmons.

No thanks from POR.

Would love to move CJ for a better fit. Send MB somewhere else, send Slomo and Brooks to POR for CJ.

Zero interest in MB due to off court idiocy and NO can’t handle another PR disaster.

So Beasley goes to Philly and Anderson to the Blazers? Not bad I think... works better salary wise too.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#225 » by Tomjas » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:13 am

realball wrote:
JRoy wrote:
realball wrote:Sixers trade: Ben Simmons, Tobias Harris
Sixers get: CJ McCollum, Malcolm Brogdon, Kyle Anderson

Sixers upgrade their backcourt and get a replacement forward for Harris as well.

Blazers out: CJ McCollum
Blazers in: Dillon Brooks, Malik Beasley, Marvin Bagley

Blazers trade CJ for depth.

Pacers trade: Malcolm Brogdon
Pacers get: Buddy Hield

Pacers get a less injury-prone player and hand over the PG reigns to Levert.

Kings trade: Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley
Kings get: Tobias Harris

Kings get some front-court scoring.

Grizzlies trade: Dillon Brooks, Kyle Anderson
Grizzlies get: Jaden McDaniels, Taurean Prince, 2022 1st

Grizzles trade their "vets" for a young player, a pick, and an expiring contract.

Wolves trade: Jaden McDaniels, Malik Beasley, Taurean Prince, 2022 1st
Wolves get: Ben Simmons

Wolves get Simmons.

No thanks from POR.

Would love to move CJ for a better fit. Send MB somewhere else, send Slomo and Brooks to POR for CJ.

Zero interest in MB due to off court idiocy and NO can’t handle another PR disaster.

So Beasley goes to Philly and Anderson to the Blazers? Not bad I think... works better salary wise too.

And leaves the Sixers completely unbalanced plus hard no to MB
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,407

Post#226 » by JRoy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:26 am

Tomjas wrote:
realball wrote:
JRoy wrote:
No thanks from POR.

And leaves the Sixers completely unbalanced plus hard no to MB[/

It seems some folks do not agree that Beasleys offer court activity has completely sunk his trade value.

I see him as strong negative though others focus more on his on court performance.

I wouldn’t want him on my team if MIN gave him away.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Helsbyte
Senior
And1: 337

Post#227 » by Helsbyte » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:39 pm

Tomjas wrote:
realball wrote:
JRoy wrote:
No thanks from POR.

Indiana says no. Brogdon for Heild is terrible
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,155

Post#228 » by jbk1234 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:18 pm

toooskies wrote:
NYG wrote:I'm just gonna drop this here and then step away while I get bashed from all 4 fan bases...

I wonder if Philly would want more salary back so they wouldn't need to trade a current rotation guy in a Beal or Lillard deal?

The Cavs turning into a unicorn stable is not something I expected, but it makes sense with Simmons. Paying the price of Mobley is tough but it's the call to push for the playoffs now.

Other than making good with Wall, I don't see why Houston does it. But maybe that's enough.

Dallas probably wants more, Wall could be a disaster. At a minimum, no protections on the pick they're getting.
The Cavs aren't trading Mobley. It's not a thing. Do you really think they didn't know they were signing Allen when they drafted Mobley?

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
realball
Head Coach

Post#229 » by realball » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:18 pm

Tomjas wrote:
realball wrote:
JRoy wrote:
No thanks from POR.

Let's say Indiana is cut out and Hield goes to Philly...

McCollum/Curry
Hield/Maxey
Beasley/Korkmaz
Green/Thybulle
Embiid/Drummond

Still more balanced than the Sixers are now I would say.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#230 » by BullyKing » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:26 pm

realball wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
realball wrote:

McCollum/Curry
Hield/Maxey
Beasley/Korkmaz
Green/Thybulle
Embiid/Drummond

Your two power forwards are Green and Thybulle who are both shooting guards. Beasley is the closest thing to a natural forward of any kind on your depth chart.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
realball
Head Coach

Post#231 » by realball » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:40 pm

BullyKing wrote:
realball wrote:
Tomjas wrote:

McCollum/Curry
Hield/Maxey
Beasley/Korkmaz
Green/Thybulle
Embiid/Drummond

Your two power forwards are Green and Thybulle who are both shooting guards. Beasley is the closest thing to a natural forward of any kind on your depth chart.

Well yeah, obviously. Even with Anderson/Brogdon instead of Beasley/Hield the whole point is that the Sixers are going smaller and getting more shooting and scoring. Green is almost 6'8'' and can easily slide up to PF. Thybulle gives up some size, but he's a fantastic defender and not a good shooter/ballhandler, so bumping him up a position makes sense.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#232 » by BullyKing » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:01 pm

realball wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
realball wrote:

McCollum/Curry
Hield/Maxey
Beasley/Korkmaz
Green/Thybulle
Embiid/Drummond

Well yeah, obviously. Even with Anderson/Brogdon instead of Beasley/Hield the whole point is that the Sixers are going smaller and getting more shooting and scoring. Green is almost 6'8'' and can easily slide up to PF. Thybulle gives up some size, but he's a fantastic defender and not a good shooter/ballhandler, so bumping him up a position makes sense.

I don't understand how admittedly playing half of the team out of position qualifies as "more balanced" but whatever.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
realball
Head Coach

Post#233 » by realball » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:09 pm

BullyKing wrote:
realball wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I don't understand how admittedly playing half of the team out of position qualifies as "more balanced" but whatever.

That's the new NBA man, guys like Green and Thybulle can play forward fluidly. Phoenix just got to the finals playing Jae Crowder at PF.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#234 » by LAL1947 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:47 pm

Well, I gave a +1 to those who've been writing trades in the last few pages... nice reading to see what other options are out there.... but there's not enough trade suggestions bringing Ben Simmons to Dallas! :cowboy:
Helsbyte
Senior
And1: 337

Post#235 » by Helsbyte » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:43 pm

realball wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
realball wrote:

That's the new NBA man, guys like Green and Thybulle can play forward fluidly. Phoenix just got to the finals playing Jae Crowder at PF.

Jae Crowder is also 235lbs and has the physical strength to play some PF. Green and Thybulle are both under 215lbs and are not built like that.

Small ball lineups are a myth. Milwaukee had two big guys in Giannis and Lopez. The Lakers before them had Howard/McGee and Davis starting. Hell even Toronto when they won had 7ft Marc Gasol and 6-10 Ibaka. The best teams in the NBA this past year deployed big front lines. Milwaukee, Atlanta, Denver, Philly, Utah, and Brooklyn. Only Phoenix started an undersize PF next to their 7ft center and it only worked because Crowder has the physical strength to play small ball. Small ball is dead.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#236 » by toooskies » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:33 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

The Cavs aren't trading Mobley. It's not a thing. Do you really think they didn't know they were signing Allen when they drafted Mobley?

I think you don't trade your only SF who can shoot (Prince) on draft day when all you have to spend in free agency is the MLE. Or you're at least aggressive enough to find one of a dozen guys who fit the profile of what you're looking for to accept it.

I think you play a little more hardball with Allen if Mobley is your C of the future, even if you intend to match him.

I think you should not have two starting PFs (Love & Nance), then draft a new starting PF (Mobley), and then trade for a new starting PF (Markkannen).

I think the Nance/Markkanen deal made no sense-- not because of value but because you could find a shooting SF somewhere for Nance. (For instance, flip DJJ or Osman and the 1st from Portland for Ross, as an obvious overpay.)

I think that a Garland/Sexton/Okoro/Mobley/Allen lineup is going to have worse spacing than last year's team and needs to be resolved. Starting Markkanen at the 4 only moves the problem to the bench where you already have issues from Rubio/Osman.

I think any construction where the Cavs trade Sexton or Garland for Simmons leaves spacing even worse than Adthe lineup above. Simmons/Mobley/Okoro simply doesn't work in the same core. Okoro doesn't have enough value. And yet, there are Simmons rumors involving Cleveland.

The only things that makes the above fit together to me are if the Cavs think one of Markkanen or Mobley can take minutes at the 3, moving Okoro to the bench; one of Okoro, Mobley, or Osman suddenly shoot well from 3; or that Mobley could be traded for a star SF like Simmons, putting Markkanen in the starting lineup to space the floor and moving Okoro to the bench.

So yes, Mobley being traded for Simmons is plausible to me, if only because the Cavs are exactly this kind of move away from fixing all the questionable moves from the offseason.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#237 » by mademan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:I wonder if Philly would want more salary back so they wouldn't need to trade a current rotation guy in a Beal or Lillard deal?

I think you don't trade your only SF who can shoot (Prince) on draft day when all you have to spend in free agency is the MLE. Or you're at least aggressive enough to find one of a dozen guys who fit the profile of what you're looking for to accept it.

I think you play a little more hardball with Allen if Mobley is your C of the future, even if you intend to match him.

I think you should not have two starting PFs (Love & Nance), then draft a new starting PF (Mobley), and then trade for a new starting PF (Markkannen).

I think the Nance/Markkanen deal made no sense-- not because of value but because you could find a shooting SF somewhere for Nance. (For instance, flip DJJ or Osman and the 1st from Portland for Ross, as an obvious overpay.)

I think that a Garland/Sexton/Okoro/Mobley/Allen lineup is going to have worse spacing than last year's team and needs to be resolved. Starting Markkanen at the 4 only moves the problem to the bench where you already have issues from Rubio/Osman.

I think any construction where the Cavs trade Sexton or Garland for Simmons leaves spacing even worse than Adthe lineup above. Simmons/Mobley/Okoro simply doesn't work in the same core. Okoro doesn't have enough value. And yet, there are Simmons rumors involving Cleveland.

The only things that makes the above fit together to me are if the Cavs think one of Markkanen or Mobley can take minutes at the 3, moving Okoro to the bench; one of Okoro, Mobley, or Osman suddenly shoot well from 3; or that Mobley could be traded for a star SF like Simmons, putting Markkanen in the starting lineup to space the floor and moving Okoro to the bench.

So yes, Mobley being traded for Simmons is plausible to me, if only because the Cavs are exactly this kind of move away from fixing all the questionable moves from the offseason.

Garland-Okoro-Simmons-Markennen-Allen

Thats the worst spacing team in the league. Simmons/Allen fit is terrible and the Cavs invested a top 5 pick into Okoro as well and will let it play out before putting him in a terrible position to succeed.

I think there's 0 chance that Mobley is available for Simmons. Simmons doesnt fix the Cavs, he's just another gamble, and at that point, Cavs should and would almost certainly rather gamble on Mobley's potential than put out one of the most awkward lineups in the league
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#238 » by JonFromVA » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:21 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:I wonder if Philly would want more salary back so they wouldn't need to trade a current rotation guy in a Beal or Lillard deal?

Alas, Simmons (let alone Porzingis) are also questionable moves not sure fire steps towards contention. But sure, in theory the Cavs would put everything they've got on the table if there was a surefire way to become an overnight championship contender.
realball
Head Coach

Post#239 » by realball » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:51 pm

Helsbyte wrote:
realball wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Jae Crowder is also 235lbs and has the physical strength to play some PF. Green and Thybulle are both under 215lbs and are not built like that.

Small ball lineups are a myth. Milwaukee had two big guys in Giannis and Lopez. The Lakers before them had Howard/McGee and Davis starting. Hell even Toronto when they won had 7ft Marc Gasol and 6-10 Ibaka. The best teams in the NBA this past year deployed big front lines. Milwaukee, Atlanta, Denver, Philly, Utah, and Brooklyn. Only Phoenix started an undersize PF next to their 7ft center and it only worked because Crowder has the physical strength to play small ball. Small ball is dead.

Lots of other teams play small. Boston plays Tatum/Brown at the forward spots. Utah has Bojan/Jingles/O'Neal who are all wings.
I guess the point is I don't think Green and Thybulle will struggle to guard PFs anymore than Tobias Harris does.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#240 » by toooskies » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 pm

mademan wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The Cavs aren't trading Mobley. It's not a thing. Do you really think they didn't know they were signing Allen when they drafted Mobley?

Garland-Okoro-Simmons-Markennen-Allen

Thats the worst spacing team in the league. Simmons/Allen fit is terrible and the Cavs invested a top 5 pick into Okoro as well and will let it play out before putting him in a terrible position to succeed.

I think there's 0 chance that Mobley is available for Simmons. Simmons doesnt fix the Cavs, he's just another gamble, and at that point, Cavs should and would almost certainly rather gamble on Mobley's potential than put out one of the most awkward lineups in the league

Sexton isn't moving in this deal. Cavs try to make it Mobley/Love, Philly insists on Mobley/Rubio/Okoro, probably ends up Mobley/Rubio/Windler or Mobley/Rubio/Osman. You've got Garland, Sexton, Markannen all shooting at league average or above as starters. Allen isn't demanding touches in the paint like Embiid so Simmons has more room to operate. Most teams have a center who can't shoot and one other guy who you can leave open.

I'm not saying the Cavs SHOULD trade Mobley, particularly for Simmons. (The same trade for Brandon Ingram as an example would probably work a lot better for the Cavs, at least on offense.) But the moves from the offseason don't seem to indicate the roster being molded to fit Mobley in any way-- it looks like it's designed for him not to be there at all, and for a good SF to be there instead.

Return to Trades and Transactions