Ben Simmons trades go here (and here only): Expect warnings if not following forum rules

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Re: Ben Simmons trades go here (and here only): Expect warnings if not following forum rules 

Post#241 » by Dat2U » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:47 pm

toooskies wrote:
mademan wrote:
toooskies wrote:I think you don't trade your only SF who can shoot (Prince) on draft day when all you have to spend in free agency is the MLE. Or you're at least aggressive enough to find one of a dozen guys who fit the profile of what you're looking for to accept it.

I think you play a little more hardball with Allen if Mobley is your C of the future, even if you intend to match him.

I think you should not have two starting PFs (Love & Nance), then draft a new starting PF (Mobley), and then trade for a new starting PF (Markkannen).

I think the Nance/Markkanen deal made no sense-- not because of value but because you could find a shooting SF somewhere for Nance. (For instance, flip DJJ or Osman and the 1st from Portland for Ross, as an obvious overpay.)

I think that a Garland/Sexton/Okoro/Mobley/Allen lineup is going to have worse spacing than last year's team and needs to be resolved. Starting Markkanen at the 4 only moves the problem to the bench where you already have issues from Rubio/Osman.

I think any construction where the Cavs trade Sexton or Garland for Simmons leaves spacing even worse than Adthe lineup above. Simmons/Mobley/Okoro simply doesn't work in the same core. Okoro doesn't have enough value. And yet, there are Simmons rumors involving Cleveland.

The only things that makes the above fit together to me are if the Cavs think one of Markkanen or Mobley can take minutes at the 3, moving Okoro to the bench; one of Okoro, Mobley, or Osman suddenly shoot well from 3; or that Mobley could be traded for a star SF like Simmons, putting Markkanen in the starting lineup to space the floor and moving Okoro to the bench.

So yes, Mobley being traded for Simmons is plausible to me, if only because the Cavs are exactly this kind of move away from fixing all the questionable moves from the offseason.

Garland-Okoro-Simmons-Markennen-Allen

Thats the worst spacing team in the league. Simmons/Allen fit is terrible and the Cavs invested a top 5 pick into Okoro as well and will let it play out before putting him in a terrible position to succeed.

I think there's 0 chance that Mobley is available for Simmons. Simmons doesnt fix the Cavs, he's just another gamble, and at that point, Cavs should and would almost certainly rather gamble on Mobley's potential than put out one of the most awkward lineups in the league

Sexton isn't moving in this deal. Cavs try to make it Mobley/Love, Philly insists on Mobley/Rubio/Okoro, probably ends up Mobley/Rubio/Windler or Mobley/Rubio/Osman. You've got Garland, Sexton, Markannen all shooting at league average or above as starters. Allen isn't demanding touches in the paint like Embiid so Simmons has more room to operate. Most teams have a center who can't shoot and one other guy who you can leave open.

I'm not saying the Cavs SHOULD trade Mobley, particularly for Simmons. (The same trade for Brandon Ingram as an example would probably work a lot better for the Cavs, at least on offense.) But the moves from the offseason don't seem to indicate the roster being molded to fit Mobley in any way-- it looks like it's designed for him not to be there at all, and for a good SF to be there instead.

Mobley is not on the table. It's crazy to assume he would be regardless of "current" roster construction. Ben Simmons isn't getting anything close to Mobley. The time where Ben would return that type of value has long since past. Are we even sure C.J. McCollum & Malcolm Brogdon are still on the table at this point?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Re: Ben Simmons trades go here (and here only): Expect warnings if not following forum rules 

Post#242 » by zimpy27 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:02 am

LAL1947 wrote:Well, I gave a +1 to those who've been writing trades in the last few pages... nice reading to see what other options are out there.... but there's not enough trade suggestions bringing Ben Simmons to Dallas! :cowboy:

PHI get Brunson, DFS, Kleber, TPE(33m), DAL28FRP(1-30)
PHI give Simmons, Curry, Milton

Brunson, Green, DFS, Harris, Embiid -- Maxey, Thybulle, Korkmaz, Kleber, Drummond -- Springer, Joe, Niang, Reed
Philly get a starting playmaker and wing defender while adding Kleber who can play with any of their bigs. They notably get a 33m TPE for Simmons which allows them to hunt for trades or FA next offseason to bolster their team. The FRP from Dallas is the season after Luka is a UFA.

OKC get Powell, Curry, WCS
OKC give Kenrich

OKC get a couple of Cs that they need and an asset in Curry they should be able to get an FRP for or fit in with SGA.

DAL get Simmons, Kenrich, Milton
DAL give DFS, Kleber, Brunson, Powell, WCS, DAL28FRP(1-30)

Ntilikina, THJ, Luka, Simmons, Porzingis -- Burke, Milton, Bullock, Kenrich, Brown -- Terry, Green, Brown, Boban
Dallas get a match for Porzingis and another playmaker that allows them to surround Luka/Simmons with shooters and defenders.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#243 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:15 am

I don't know if it's been mentioned on the TB yet but some fake Shams account on Twitter said a trade has been agreed to:

SAS trades Murray, Johnson, Young, protected 1st

to

Philly for Simmons.

I thought it was probably a reasonable expectation of what Simmons actual value is.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#244 » by Tomjas » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:20 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned on the TB yet but some fake Shams account on Twitter said a trade has been agreed to:

to

Philly for Simmons.

I thought it was probably a reasonable expectation of what Simmons actual value is.

Spurs are a logical trading partner due to their roster construction and pick situation
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#245 » by the_process » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:
the_process wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:Spurs trade Murray, Vassell, Young, 2022 1st, 2024 1st, 2023 swap
Spurs receive Simmons, Curry

Cavs trade: sexton
Cavs receive vassell

Sixers trade simmons, curry
Sixers receive murray, sexton, young, spurs picks

I would cut the Cavs out, keep Curry, and pull the trigger on that deal right now.
The Spurs are getting Curry though. If you keep him, I'm sure they'd be removing some of the compensation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

They can keep the swap, move both picks out a year. But they don’t need Curry. They still have White and Walker and Forbes and Primo and Jones even after the deal.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,124

Post#246 » by Darthlukey » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:53 am

Tomjas wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned on the TB yet but some fake Shams account on Twitter said a trade has been agreed to:

to

Philly for Simmons.

Spurs are a logical trading partner due to their roster construction and pick situation

Agreed. Philly get above average players, though no elites. Young is still handy and a 1st is a 1st
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#247 » by Chinook » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:12 am

the_process wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
the_process wrote:
I would cut the Cavs out, keep Curry, and pull the trigger on that deal right now.
The Spurs are getting Curry though. If you keep him, I'm sure they'd be removing some of the compensation.

They can keep the swap, move both picks out a year. But they don’t need Curry. They still have White and Walker and Forbes and Primo and Jones even after the deal.

Don't get me wrong, the original deal was already not what I'd be willing to pay. But I don't think your counter-offer would be better than the proposed trade. The Spurs would likely want to get their owed picks over with rather than encumbering an extra year. So if the Sixers want to keep Curry, the swap would have to go AND the 24 pick would have to become the Chicago pick instead. That gives the Spurs the ability to make more trades to build around Simmons while giving Philly two clean trade pieces to use to hunt for a running mate to Embiid. Getting Simmons is nice, but getting Simmons and then being hamstrung to improve isn't worth it.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant

Post#248 » by Tomjas » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:27 am

Darthlukey wrote:
Tomjas wrote:

to

Philly for Simmons.

Agreed. Philly get above average players, though no elites. Young is still handy and a 1st is a 1st

Windhorst claimed that a small market team has made an offer but it hasn’t been made public yet

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the Spurs as Young can’t legally be traded until early October
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#249 » by Chinook » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:42 am

Tomjas wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:
Tomjas wrote:

Windhorst claimed that a small market team has made an offer but it hasn’t been made public yet

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the Spurs as Young can’t legally be traded until early October

Young and Aminu were tradeable (and aggregateable) immediately after the Spurs acquired them. There's no restriction for under-the-cap teams that trade for players, and the Spurs were under the cap well after completing the DeRozan deal.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#250 » by zimpy27 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:58 am

Tomjas wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:
Tomjas wrote:

Been saying Spurs for a while since their the only team that could build around Simmons and they have guys they can give up that have great impacts stats that Morey would appreciate.

Though I think if Spurs did get Simmons then they'd rather keep Thad and trade Aminu/Poeltl instead.

The trade I like the most is -

Spurs send Murray, Vassell, Poeltl, Aminu and get Simmons, Boucher

Philly send Simmons and get Murray, Dragic, Vassell

Raptors send Boucher, Dragic and get Poeltl, Aminu

Philly could swap Vassell for Sexton if they wanted, I'm sure Cavs would take that. Or they could keep him.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,880

Post#251 » by LarsV8 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:43 am

I think the best offer Houston would make is

House / Gordon / Wood / 23 MKE #1

Would prefer to tank another 2 years though
Tomjas
Lead Assistant

Post#252 » by Tomjas » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 am

Chinook wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:Agreed. Philly get above average players, though no elites. Young is still handy and a 1st is a 1st

Young and Aminu were tradeable (and aggregateable) immediately after the Spurs acquired them. There's no restriction for under-the-cap teams that trade for players, and the Spurs were under the cap well after completing the DeRozan deal.

Not according to https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

Can’t be aggregated until October 2
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Post#253 » by NYG » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:49 pm

I wonder even if Ben Simmons is exactly Ben Simmons (good and bad all included) to start the season and Washington gets off to a slow start, if Beal finally came to them and said he probably wasn't going to re-sign would Simmons, Maxey and a 2023 unprotected 1st for an unextended Beal be a win for both sides given what else is on the market right now?

Would Washington be better served flipping Simmons for Kings/T'Wolves (whichever is more desperate) picks/youth package or just keeping a locked up Simmons around for the rebuild?

If Beal wanted to explore free agency no matter what and wouldn't extend anywhere, I wonder who would offer more in picks/youth for him than a panicked T'Wolves or Kings team would for Ben Simmons.
tacos
Senior
And1: 383

Post#254 » by tacos » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:22 pm

I'm starting to get the vibe that it's going to be a Simmons for Wall and a couple late firsts
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#255 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 pm

76ers
In: Dinwiddie / Hachimura / Avdija / Wizards22

They get a player to win now and 2 talented youngsters + 1 first
Embiid / Dru
Harris / Hachi
Green / Avdija
Curry / Thybulle
Dinwiddie / Maxey

Wizards
In:Simons
Out:Dinwiddie/Avdija/Hachi/Wizards22

He gets the best player and a great fit alongside Beal..lots of shots

Bryant / Gafford
Bertans / Kuzma
KCP / Kispert
Beal / Holiday
Simons / Neto
1+1=11
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#256 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:46 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:Dinwiddie

Dinwiddie cannot be traded until December 15th.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,525

Post#257 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:48 pm

Tomjas wrote:
Chinook wrote:
Tomjas wrote:

Not according to https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

Can’t be aggregated until October 2

I have Chinook right. While the two players were part of a sign and trade, they were taken in via cap sapce and not an exemption, and therefore do not have to wait to be aggregated. bbinsiders also doesn't have an aggregation deadline for them if you want an external site reference.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#258 » by the_process » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:51 pm

tacos wrote:I'm starting to get the vibe that it's going to be a Simmons for Wall and a couple late firsts

I don't see any way the Sixers take that.

I could see Wall, Wood, Gordon, and two 1sts for Simmons and Harris, though.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,553

Post#259 » by JimmyPlopper » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:13 pm

76ers trade:
Ben Simmons

Thunder trade:
Derrick Favors
Josh Giddey
Theo Maledon
Gabriel Deck
2 Future 1sts

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander/Ty Jerome/Vit Krejci
Lu Dort / Tre Mann / Charlie Brown Jr.
Ben Simmons / Kenrich Williams
Aleksej Pokusevski / Darius Bazley
Isaiah Roby/ Mike Muscala / Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

Tyrese Maxey / Josh Giddey / Theo Maledon
Seth Curry / Shake Milton / Jaden Springer
Danny Green / Mattise Thybulle / Furkan Korkmaz
Tobias Harris / Georges Niang / Paul Reed
Joel Embiid / Derrick Favors / Andre Drummond

Isaiah Joe and Gabriel Deck waived
you can't kill me - i was born dead
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,084

Post#260 » by jbk1234 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:28 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:I wonder if Philly would want more salary back so they wouldn't need to trade a current rotation guy in a Beal or Lillard deal?

The Cavs turning into a unicorn stable is not something I expected, but it makes sense with Simmons. Paying the price of Mobley is tough but it's the call to push for the playoffs now.

Other than making good with Wall, I don't see why Houston does it. But maybe that's enough.

Dallas probably wants more, Wall could be a disaster. At a minimum, no protections on the pick they're getting.
The Cavs aren't trading Mobley. It's not a thing. Do you really think they didn't know they were signing Allen when they drafted Mobley?

I think you don't trade your only SF who can shoot (Prince) on draft day when all you have to spend in free agency is the MLE. Or you're at least aggressive enough to find one of a dozen guys who fit the profile of what you're looking for to accept it.

I think you play a little more hardball with Allen if Mobley is your C of the future, even if you intend to match him.

I think you should not have two starting PFs (Love & Nance), then draft a new starting PF (Mobley), and then trade for a new starting PF (Markkannen).

I think the Nance/Markkanen deal made no sense-- not because of value but because you could find a shooting SF somewhere for Nance. (For instance, flip DJJ or Osman and the 1st from Portland for Ross, as an obvious overpay.)

I think that a Garland/Sexton/Okoro/Mobley/Allen lineup is going to have worse spacing than last year's team and needs to be resolved. Starting Markkanen at the 4 only moves the problem to the bench where you already have issues from Rubio/Osman.

I think any construction where the Cavs trade Sexton or Garland for Simmons leaves spacing even worse than Adthe lineup above. Simmons/Mobley/Okoro simply doesn't work in the same core. Okoro doesn't have enough value. And yet, there are Simmons rumors involving Cleveland.

The only things that makes the above fit together to me are if the Cavs think one of Markkanen or Mobley can take minutes at the 3, moving Okoro to the bench; one of Okoro, Mobley, or Osman suddenly shoot well from 3; or that Mobley could be traded for a star SF like Simmons, putting Markkanen in the starting lineup to space the floor and moving Okoro to the bench.

So yes, Mobley being traded for Simmons is plausible to me, if only because the Cavs are exactly this kind of move away from fixing all the questionable moves from the offseason.
There is no trade for Simmons that allows the Cavs to fix their lineup/spacing issues this season. In the long run, a guy like Mobley is the better fit at 5 as he can play away from the basket.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions