Offseason Grades - Phoenix Suns

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Offseason Grades - Phoenix Suns 

Post#1 » by bondom34 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:27 am

Finishing up the Pacific before the rest of the Central, skipped over the Suns. With a guest!

Crives's Offseason Grade:

Phoenix Suns transactions

Front office
none.

Draft
none.

Trades
Traded Jevon Carter and pick #29 to Brooklyn for Landry Shamet.

Free agency
Re-signed Chris Paul, 4/$120M (3rd year $15.8M guaranteed, 4th year TO).
Re-signed Cameron Payne, 3/$19M.
Re-signed Abdel Nader, 2/$4M.
Re-signed Frank Kaminsky, 1/min.
Signed Elfrid Payton, 1/min.
Signed Javale McGee, 1/min.
Offseason Thoughts
As phx made it deeper and deeper into the playoffs, a big portion of many suns fans happiness was offset by the realization that Cam Payne was outplaying what phx could offer and would likely be starting for a different team next year. If you ask most suns fans on this board who their favorite suns are.. most have Bridges and Payne in their top 2. If you put a gun to my head, I probably would have preferred to keep Payne over CP3 if I had to choose only one. When Cam Payne signed for ~6m per year I was shocked, I think this will go down as the best deal this offseason. I do think Payne if phx long term starting pg as CP3 ages.

Rest of the offseason was about keeping the band together. Resigning CP3 was expected, Jones did a good job keeping 3/8 of the deal unguranteed to avoid CP3 killing our cap space in case of injury. I think Ayton max deal is already agreed, I think they are still working on Bridges deal, and out of respect for Bridges making less then Ayton, they will wait to announce the deals together. After seeing Payne take a big team discount, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ayton and Bridges come in lower then expected.

There is a heavy rumor that a Dario + Jalen for Thad young deal is in the works. I don’t love Thads fit, but it’s a clear talent upgrade.

Grade
A on Payne and CP3 deals. But grade still tbd until we get Bridges and Ayton extensions.

2022 Prediction
I expect phx to be fighting Utah for the 1st seed out West in the regular season. I think phx is a bit underrated right now as I see many attributing phx success last year due to opponents injuries, even though phx was dominat in the regular season against elite teams. Bridges/Booker/Johnson/Ayton have all showed solid improvements each year. I expect further improvements + additional continuity improvements as phx is bringing back the same squad.

If healthy, I expect phx to be the third best team behind Milwaukee and Brooklyn. I think phx has the most well balanced team in the league, I think they are the only team elite in all of the key areas below.

Dynamic Ballhandlers
Shooting + Spacing
Interior Defense
Perimeter Defense
Depth

Would not bet on getting back to the finals, that always requires a ton of luck. Winning a chip will be this teams goal.

Offseason in gif form

K_Chile22's Grade:

Front office
none.

Draft
none.

Trades

Free agency
Offseason Thoughts
Don't love the Shamet trade for them, feels like a bit of an overpay but apparently Monty really pushed for his guy, so I won't knock them much for it, especially because I don't really consider Carter a rotation player.
Did better on the CP deal than I thought they would when you step back and look at guarantees, managed to keep Payne on a fair deal, I actually like Nadar alright. Not sure I would have used a roster spot on Frank but it's whatever. JaVale should help in the regular season.
Overall think they did well in FA, mostly in keeping their guys. Not much opportunity for them to do anything fancy.

Grade
B+. Given lack of flexibility to do anything else, they get a high grade for keeping their two most important Free Agents on team friendly deals.
2022 Prediction
Top 3 in the west
Offseason in gif form

Mamba4Goat's Grade:

Front office
none.

Draft
none.

Trades

Free agency
Offseason Thoughts
I don't care for the Shamet trade. Call me ignorant but I don't get how he keeps getting traded for 1sts. I'm also not sure how Frank the tank keeps getting signed. That being said, they're basically running it back and swapping Craig out for Elfrid Payton, another creator which was needed.

Grade
B+
I've gone back and forth a bit with this grade. Getting Cam Payne on the deal they got him in was great. That CP3 deal is also pretty good. Improving on the margins with Elf, Mcgee, and Shamet is also nice, But...if the goal is to fight for a title, they needed a louder move. If they land Thad Young (who they're rumored to be interested in) for say, Jalen Smith, Saric, and some form of pick compensation all will be forgiven and my grade will be an A.

2022 Prediction
1-4 seed. They could very well make the finals again but it'll be heavily health dependant.
Offseason in gif form

Bondom34's Grade:

Front office
none.

Draft
none.

Trades

Free agency
Offseason Thoughts
After a pretty major move a year ago the Suns made what most feel was an unexpected finals run, and for the most part ran it back with minor tweaks which felt pretty logical. The only question was how would they do in terms of value and in that regard I think they did pretty well.

Will start with the one move I didn't care a ton for which is the trade. I'm not terribly high on Shamet and moving a pick for him and his RFA rights just isn't something I'd have been interested in. Its not huge and nothing I'm penalizing much for but a note.

On to free agency a lot were shocked at Paul's deal but having the last season entirely non-guaranteed and the 3rd half guaranteed is fantastic value for a player who really helped this team make a leap last year. To add to it getting Payne after he's become a bit of a breakout player at that number was one of the better value deals of the offseason if he keeps up his current level of play and a move that off the top of my head was one of the better value signings with that assumption. The rest of free agency was quiet, running it back and getting another rim runner type in McGee on a min deal was sensible too. Overall mostly quiet but solid.

Grade
Had this as a B+ but thinking of changing to A- last minute, the only negative was the Carter/29 trade.
2022 Prediction
Top 4 in the West
Offseason in gif form
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Re: Offseason Grades - Phoenix Suns 

Post#2 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:46 am

Getting Payne for cheap was steal since his stock was high . Resigning Frank , why? Pretty much run back team . Javal can help with minutes , Payton might be nice for them B .
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

Post#3 » by Ell Curry » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:56 am

Only note I'd have is they might want a bigger option at the 4 who can also spot some minutes as a smallball 5 when McGee isn't a good fit in a series, so Saric + Jalen Smith for Thad Young (or someone like Boucher, or just signing a bought out Kevin Love).

So, a minus grade for Chris Paul not convincing Millsap or Jeff Green to come be their 4th forward?
Where's the D?
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#4 » by gom » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:32 am

Well, I love the Suns. I think they will have a tougher road to the Finals this season though, and because of this, they needed to get better. Maybe Booker, Ayton, and Payne organic growth is enough though. Right? The 2021-2022 season will tell us. Right now, the Suns deserve at least a B+/A-, but some of this is the residuals from a spectacular 2021!
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,884

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:58 pm

Crives wrote:
There is a heavy rumor that a Dario + Jalen for Thad young deal is in the works.

I hadn't see this rumor, but since I proposed that very idea(to very tepid reviews here) weeks ago, and I was one of the posters pushing hardest for Paul to Phoenix last off-season, feels like Mr. Jones and I see eye to eye. A+ :wink:

Okay on to stuff that actually happened. I liked the Shamet trade more than most. Carter wasn't going to play and a pick that late is unlikely to return a player to help in the Paul window. Shamet can help you through a regular season and maybe play some spot playoff minutes. It's a positive for me.

Keeping Paul was vital and they got a team friendly structure. They retained some other guys they wanted to keep. McGee will help give them another real center when Ayton sits. Payton replaces Carter as that PG you hope you never have to play.

Only real negative is Saric is still sitting on their books while they stayed under tax. Got to maximize this Paul window so hopefully by the deadline they figure out how to turn his salary slot into another piece.

Overall, good solid job -- B
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,163

Post#6 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:47 pm

A-

You had to pay CP3 and Phoenix found a good deal. Payne's contract is really good for Phoenix.

Not a big fan of Nader & Kaminsky but won't hurt. Just miss signing a guy that can contribute for me to give them an A but great job from the Suns FO.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#7 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:04 pm

Think B+ . They did nearly everything that they needed to do to run it back. This not the season for them to make a major change. Let young core keep growing.

Return to Trades and Transactions