Offseason Grades - Utah Jazz

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Offseason Grades - Utah Jazz 

Post#1 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:58 am

And up next we're on to the Northwest division, starting with the Jazz, and a thank you to babyjax for doing a review as well.

babyjax's offseason grade:

Utah Jazz transactions

Front office
EVP Dennis Lindsey moved to advisory role.
Part ownership sold to Dwyane Wade.

Draft
Drafted Jared Butler at pick #40 (acquired from Memphis).

Trades
Traded pick #30 to Memphis for pick #40 and two future 2nds.
Traded Derrick Favors and 2026 1st rounder to Oklahoma City for future 2nd and cash.
Traded protected future 2nd and TPE to Golden State for Eric Paschall.

Free agency
Waived Matt Thomas ($0 guaranteed).
Re-signed Mike Conley, 3/$68M.
Re-signed Jarrell Brantley to QO, 1/$1.67M. (later waived, signed in Europe)
Signed Rudy Gay, 2/$19M (TMLE).
Signed Hassan Whiteside, 1/min.

Offseason Thoughts
Utah had perhaps one of the most boring offseasons in the league, but I think what they did may be more consequential than it appears.

1. Front office/ownership: the promotion of Zanik isn’t something I can comment on too much. I know he was one of the major players in adding Conley, and that he disagreed with the selection of Udoka Azubuike. Ultimately Lindsey got us in a good place, and I don’t have reason to believe that things will get significantly better or worse in that regard. What is perhaps more consequential, is the addition of Wade to the ownership group. First, we’ve already seen it have an impact on free agency. Whiteside isn’t a super sexy get, but being able to find parts-bin price players who can absorb some minutes is a hallmark of contending teams. I also think he’s having a positive impact on player development. We see him talking to Mitchell all the time, and he also seems to have a good relationship with other players on the team, too.

2. Trades: I thought Favors would take two seconds to move, so I am a bit bummed that this was the cost (also sad to see him go, but the contract we gave him was out-of-line, perhaps another reason Lindsey is gone). HOWEVER, I really love the trade we made with Memphis to move back and grab the player I had second on my board of remaining guys at 30 (close between Dosunmu and Butler) and get two future seconds. The follow up for Paschall is also consequential because he is Mitchell’s childhood best friend. It may not pay off too much on the court, Eric is likely our 10th man so he will play when Conley/Ingles sit on back-to-backs or when players are hurt/etc. but another arrow in the quiver to retain Mitchell is critical to Utah’s long-term success as a team.

3. Free Agency: I mentioned this before, but I think having Wade helped with free agency. We also saw this with Mike Conley – there are certain guys in the league who are so respected that they can bring role players along with them (Ed Davis signed b/c of Conley, obviously didn’t work out; Jeff Green signed because of Conley, see Ed Davis; Rudy Gay played 5 seasons with Conley and that is likely why he is here; Wade likely had an influence on bringing in Whiteside). I like all these signings, however, I wish we had done more to address our perimeter defense. Rudy can ‘defend the court’ only if you have guys that can offer resistance on drives and quickly rotate when they get beat (that is what we saw in the Clippers series) otherwise you are going to give up tons of open threes + layups where Rudy can’t get there in time. I also want to briefly mention Matt Thomas – another dumb move from last season – we went over the luxury tax just to trade for him and now that move could send us into the repeater tax a year early. I suspect this was another reason why Lindsey is no longer in charge of the FO.

Grade
B-, it wasn’t sexy, but we are a better team. We had to make up for some mistakes last offseason, but I expect us to be right around where we have been (plus, we didn't get embarrassed this offseason by the Knicks flipping the 23rd pick for more than they traded for it: they traded 27 + 38 to us and received 25 + 33 from Minnesota)

[url]2022 Prediction[/url]
54-28, 2nd seed behind Phoenix

Offseason in gif form

Why am I waking up in Utah?

K_Chile22's offseason grade

Utah Jazz transactions

Front office

Draft

Trades
Traded Derrick Favors and 2026 1st rounder to Oklahoma City for future 2nd and cash.

Free agency
Re-signed Jarrell Brantley to QO, 1/$1.67M.
Signed Rudy Gay, 2/$12M (TMLE).
Offseason Thoughts
Did really well on the Mike Conley deal, which is the biggest thing here. Yeah, unfortunate they had to use a first to dump salary, but really don't think they got any worse between getting Gay and Whiteside (don't care for whiteside much, but I'm low on Favors at this point in his career) so not too bad there. I don't like Paschall near as much as others, but at that price, he's a solid get for a regular season guy.

Grade
A-. Conley contract mattered more than anything and they nailed it
2022 Prediction
Top 3 in the west
Offseason in gif form

Mamba4goat's offseason grade:

Utah Jazz transactions

Front office

Draft

Trades

Free agency
Offseason Thoughts
Man...I loved this offseason. Butler is a great potential "break glass in case of emergency" third string PG, Gay is perfect for them, Whiteside is even a really solid option as a backup center. Also, the Paschall deal was robbery.

Grade
A+
A very underrated offseason with what seems like a potential make-or-break season for the Mitchell/Gobert marriage.

2022 Prediction
Top 4 seed in the west

Offseason in gif form

bondom34's offseason grade:

Utah Jazz transactions

Front office

Draft

Trades

Free agency
Offseason Thoughts
For the first seed, after a somewhat disappointing exit the Jazz didn't sit still and ended up with one of the better offseasons. Starting from the top of the list, the front office stuff seems OK, no real input there. Butler was a good get at 40 (I'm assuming he fell due to health stuff?) and could be a steal I think.

So the trades ended up being trading back for future 2nds and still getting a solid player, moving Favors for fine value to save some cash and getting Paschall for essentially nothing. I don't know if Paschall gives them anything useful at all but he probably has a better shot at it than a late 2nd, so that seemed like a reasonably solid move too.

Free agency wise if Conley keeps up anywhere near his production this was a fantastic contract, and Rudy Gay fits the mold of a guy who can fit into small ball lineups pretty well and even if he's not "perfect" for it, he's pretty darn good and they can likely run some lineups with no true centers now. To add, I know Whiteside has his issues as well, and don't think he's amazing, but for the minimum he's one of a handful of guys who can pretend to be a version of diet Rudy Gobert. And I don't know enough about Brantley to even say anything. Overall pretty much everything they did was a win. Just a smart offseason.

Grade
A
2022 Prediction
Top 3 in the west
Offseason in gif form

MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Re: Offseason Grades - Utah Jazz 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:08 am

I am amused that I gave the lowest grade, haha : ) I am actually very happy with the offseason, but I think if you don't greatly improve your odds of winning a championship as an upper-tier team, it just can't be an "A" offseason.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#3 » by loserX » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:43 am

The biggest thing was bringing back Conley, and we did that.
The second biggest thing was improving our perimeter defence, and we didn't. (Replacing Niang with Gay will help a little. A little.)
The third biggest thing was improving our depth, and we did that.

So I can't go as far as some of the grades here, but I'm pleased with the offseason. We may still find there's shopping to do on that second point, however.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#4 » by gom » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 am

I'm very high on the Jazz too. I liked their off-season, especially adding Wade to the FO. I can only see DWade's interest in the Jazz manifesting in helping Donovan Mitchell reach new heights. Conley deal was pretty solid too. And I had my eye on Jared Butler in the second round. Good player.

Nice job all around.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
SharpyShuffle
Junior
And1: 580

Post#5 » by SharpyShuffle » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:13 am

All we we heard after the Jazz got knocked out was "Gobert isn't LITERALLY a one-man defence, they need some decent perimeter defenders too!"

And then...nothing. I honestly don't understand the grades in this thread, people seem to be suggesting that the Jazz are good enough, and well-constructed enough, that standing pat was OK?
I think it'll be deja vu all over again when the post-season rolls round
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,002

Post#6 » by Village Idiot » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:39 am

I'd give them a B. They didn't raise their ceiling in the slightest and their floor is about the same. They will make the playoffs and might get HCA in the first round again but no one is going to have them as favorites to win a championship
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#7 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:50 am

B- they did well..too conservative for my liking ... they were great in the regular season..but they fell short in the Playoff, with a veteran core I think the situation required being aggressive ... they improved depth but not They addressed what I understand, they lack ... The best possible perimeter defender and a more playable 5 ... when the rivals get small ... I thought guys like Wiggins and Boucher (apparently available) would be of great help .. Something like..
Warriors
In: Bojan / Royce
Out: Wiggins / 1 future top 20 prot

Raptors
In: Paschall / Futuro protec (by Warriors? Out: Boucher

Jazz
In: Wiggins / Boucher (TPE)
Out: Bojan / Royce / Paschall
1+1=11
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#8 » by JazzyPhinz » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 pm

Jazz were unfortunate with Conley and Mitchell being hobbled in the playoffs. Mike didn't even suit up until the elimination game. Seems like people completely dismiss that. Jazz need to not worry about gunning for number 1 seed and load manage their guys. The added depth should help.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,881

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:11 pm

SharpyShuffle wrote:All we we heard after the Jazz got knocked out was "Gobert isn't LITERALLY a one-man defence, they need some decent perimeter defenders too!"

And then...nothing. I honestly don't understand the grades in this thread, people seem to be suggesting that the Jazz are good enough, and well-constructed enough, that standing pat was OK?
I think it'll be deja vu all over again when the post-season rolls round

Utah was absolutely wrecking and embarrassing teams until both guards got hurt. Now Conley hasn't proven he can stay healthy so that remains a major concern, but they showed they were definitely good enough and very well-constructed last year.

Now they aren't going to have the best player on the court in (m)any playoff series which is always going to make it a more difficult path. But the Suns went to the WCF just last year with the same issue, the Spurs and Pistons also established in multiple years you can win this way.

Harder, but they had not path to a player better than Gobert/Mitchell so I wouldn't punish them grade wise for that.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,766

Post#10 » by eminence » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 pm

I'd have us in the B- range.

Like Whiteside at the minimum, deals around #30 and getting Butler at #40 were nice. Conley extension is fine. Not in love with the price to unload Favors, but only a small negative. Wish we'd got a more defensive forward than Gay - Winslow/Batum/OPJ.
I bought a boat.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:58 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:B- they did well..too conservative for my liking ... they were great in the regular season..but they fell short in the Playoff, with a veteran core I think the situation required being aggressive ... they improved depth but not They addressed what I understand, they lack ... The best possible perimeter defender and a more playable 5 ... when the rivals get small ... I thought guys like Wiggins and Boucher (apparently available) would be of great help .. Something like..
Warriors
In: Bojan / Royce
Out: Wiggins / 1 future top 20 prot

Raptors
In: Paschall / Futuro protec (by Warriors? Out: Boucher

Jazz
In: Wiggins / Boucher (TPE)
Out: Bojan / Royce / Paschall

Royce is like 1000x the defender Wiggins is, and Gay will be playing some small-ball 5.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,262

Post#12 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:10 am

I think Jared Butler might actually be good, like solid starter good. I think the Jazz bolstered their defense with Gay and Whiteside. They're deep, and they know they're capable of 60 wins. They're also in position to make a consolidation trade if the right deal comes along. That's all you can ask for, imo.

I also see some potential in Paschall. He reminds me of Rodney Rogers, and the Warriors teams he was on weren't a good fit for him. He might click as a guy who can create his own offense on a spaced floor. (See Clarkson, Jordan.)

A-
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Trades and Transactions