[Shams[ Official: Doumbouya and 2nd to Houston

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,399

[Shams[ Official: Doumbouya and 2nd to Houston 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:30 am

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,402

Re: [Shams[ Official: Doumbouya and 2nd to Houston 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:31 am

1. I wanted OKC to do this but they do have 13 prospects.

2. I thought this was a really valuable sleeper player that wouldn’t be traded but for value
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#3 » by BullyKing » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:32 am

Had a recent thread debating whether a team would trade a 2nd for Sekou or it would cost a 2nd to dump him. Obvious answer prevailed in reality.

But this is still good work from Brooklyn. They reduce their tax bill a little by taking Sumner and just trade one 2nd for another. Smart moves.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Texas Chuck

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:35 am

And just so everyone is clear on his potential, Houston who will be terrible is waiving him and this was simply an asset play for them.

This isn't a roster spot issue for the Nets. This is he sucks and was negative value.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#5 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:37 am

How much was he making ? Crazy dump second rounder if your the nets
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#6 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:38 am

3m salary dump … ok ….
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,130

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:39 am

Texas Chuck wrote:And just so everyone is clear on his potential, Houston who will be terrible is waiving him and this was simply an asset play for them.

This isn't a roster spot issue for the Nets. This is he sucks and was negative value.

I've been told that Sekou was acquired, on purpose, by Brooklyn specifically for his potential, and that he holds trade value on the open market. Are you telling me I've been bamboozled?
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,675

Post#8 » by Bruin » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:40 am

Could definitely see us signing him cause he fits the mold of players we are after. He’s only 20 so can’t hurt
Texas Chuck

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:49 am

Marks as always ran the numbers and the Nets save $8.1M ($1.29M in salary and $6.8M in tax). So yeah that's good value for them on the day for sure.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#10 » by BullyKing » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:51 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Marks as always ran the numbers and the Nets save $8.1M ($1.29M in salary and $6.8M in tax). So yeah that's good value for them on the day for sure.

Then I don't get the Indiana trade. If saving them $1.29M in salary saved them that much, they would have saved triple that if they didn't take Sumner. You could buy half of the second round for that.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Texas Chuck

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:55 am

BullyKing wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Marks as always ran the numbers and the Nets save $8.1M ($1.29M in salary and $6.8M in tax). So yeah that's good value for them on the day for sure.

Then I don't get the Indiana trade. If saving them $1.29M in salary saved them that much, they would have saved triple that if they didn't take Sumner. You could buy half of the second round for that.

I don't get that part either. Their asset management has been really weird. Why did they keep so many picks in last year's draft? Made no sense either.

But they've now made multiple salary dumping trades so those Brooklyn fans who have insisted they would never do that I hope realize even teams willing to spend huge sums of money will still look to spend less when it doesn't hurt the team's ability to compete.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,818

Post#12 » by eminence » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:56 am

Yeah, can anyone explain this pair of deals for me?
I bought a boat.
Texas Chuck

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:58 am

eminence wrote:Yeah, can anyone explain this pair of deals for me?

I can explain this one. :D If someone will take the other one.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,567

Post#14 » by JimmyPlopper » Wed Oct 6, 2021 1:41 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

If the Nets were going to waive Sekou, this allows them to do it while saving money (Sumner has less guaranteed) without having to relinquish a pick (2nd in and 2nd out). That's what I would think from Brooklyn perspective.

Whats the big deal about saving 2nd rounders? They can be cheap contributors on expensive teams like Brooklyn. And they traded away four 2nds to offload DeAndre Jordan on the Pistons
all i see is blinking lights
Texas Chuck

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 6, 2021 1:47 am

JimmyPlopper wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

If the Nets were going to waive Sekou, this allows them to do it while saving money (Sumner has less guaranteed) without having to relinquish a pick (2nd in and 2nd out). That's what I would think from Brooklyn perspective.

Whats the big deal about saving 2nd rounders? They can be cheap contributors on expensive teams like Brooklyn. And they traded away four 2nds to offload DeAndre Jordan on the Pistons

I think you have this backwards. I think what we are questioning is why they preferred that Indy 2nd to an addition 8 figures in savings. We don't care about the 2nd, we care about effectively spending that much money to keep one.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,645

Post#16 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:14 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I think you have this backwards. I think what we are questioning is why they preferred that Indy 2nd to an addition 8 figures in savings. We don't care about the 2nd, we care about effectively spending that much money to keep one.

Look at Sumner’s shooting last year. If he can shoot like that and you have him back for the playoffs I think it’s a great get. And all it costs is money.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,402

Post#17 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:18 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:

Look at Sumner’s shooting last year. If he can shoot like that and you have him back for the playoffs I think it’s a great get. And all it costs is money.

I mean to be fair his 39% 3 point shooting was a 33 of 88 sample.
Texas Chuck

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:20 am

I think it was reported already Brooklyn is waiving Sumner though, no?
HartfordWhalers

Post#19 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:22 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I mean to be fair his 39% 3 point shooting was a 33 of 88 sample.

His free throws were on point too, but it’s absolutely all small sample still. Worse case they use the same 2nd to dump him at the deadline?
HartfordWhalers

Post#20 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:23 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I think it was reported already Brooklyn is waiving Sumner though, no?

Well then I don’t get it. I liked the flier assuming he came back soon enough

Return to Trades and Transactions