Philly/Indy/Sac/Det

Moderators: Trader_Joe, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, loserX, MoneyTalks41890, Texas Chuck, pacers33granger, BullyKing, HartfordWhalers

PhillyFan11
Senior
And1: 213

Philly/Indy/Sac/Det 

Post#1 » by PhillyFan11 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:23 am

Sixers out: Simmons, Harris, Milton
Sixers in: Grant, Hield, Bagley, Indy ‘22 1st, and Kings ‘22 1st

Role players and picks are what the Sixers have to end up taking for Simmons but also getting rid of Tobi makes it well worth it. The Sixers are better in the short term, but are also set up nicely to make a much bigger move in the off season.

Pacers out: Turner, Lamb, Holiday, ‘22 1st top 12 protected (top 10 ‘23, top 3 ‘24)
Pacers in: Simmons, Milton

Turner and a 1st that likely isn’t going to convey this year for Simmons is a pretty great way for the Pacers to shake up their roster

Kings out: Hield, Bagley, Thompson, D. Mitchell, ‘22 1st top 8 protected, ‘22 2nd, ‘23 2nd
Kings in: Turner, Harris, Holiday

Kings dramatically upgrade their roster for Mitchell, their ‘22 1st and 2 2nd’s

Pistons out: Grant, McGruder
Pistons in: D. Mitchell, Lamb, Thompson, Sac ‘22 & ‘23 2nd

Mitchell and 2 2nd’s is a pretty good cash in on Grant for the pistons. Also clears $20M for them
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 2,342

Re: Philly/Indy/Sac/Det 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:16 am

If the Pacer FRP isn't expected to convey this year, just take it out of the deal. Make it a 2023 pick.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
AaronB
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#3 » by AaronB » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:32 am

Wow, as of today I have Simmons as the single worst contract in the NBA and Harris is 5th worst.

If Morey can get back contributors, expirings, and firsts for those 2 contract anchors, then he is the "GM of the Century".
Helsbyte
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#4 » by Helsbyte » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:41 am

Does Grant have this much value to get both D.Mitchell and a 20 million savings? I don't know, maybe it's just me but it seems Detroit is stealing some value here.
Adrian Street
Junior
And1: 82

Post#5 » by Adrian Street » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:12 am

I think this looks fairly solid, maybe one more FRP from Indy to Philly.
SNPA
Analyst
And1: 2,695

Post#6 » by SNPA » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:14 am

AaronB wrote:Wow, as of today I have Simmons as the single worst contract in the NBA and Harris is 5th worst.

If Morey can get back contributors, expirings, and firsts for those 2 contract anchors, then he is the "GM of the Century".

Simmons is a lot of things, worst contract in the league isn’t one.
TPA
Junior
And1: 184

Post#7 » by TPA » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:24 am

Helsbyte wrote:Does Grant have this much value to get both D.Mitchell and 20 million savings? I don't know, maybe it's just me but it seems Detroit is stealing some value here.

From what is reported, there is a lot of interest in Grant around the league. Davion would be alright. Two 2nd rounders are meh. Someone needs to kick the Pistons a little extra in this scenario, IMO.
Detroit is already going to be flush with cap space this summer. If Detroit doesn't get a better return for Grant this season (which I think they could do much better than this), Grant is a valuable expiring next season. Detroit would just roll with him a bit longer.
patman66
Analyst
And1: 875

Post#8 » by patman66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:27 am

SNPA wrote:
AaronB wrote:Wow, as of today I have Simmons as the single worst contract in the NBA and Harris is 5th worst.

If you think he has mental issues then it is. If you think your getting the plyer from last years playoffs, it is not, but is that worth 35mill a year? Harris is not worth 35 a year, period.
SNPA
Analyst
And1: 2,695

Post#9 » by SNPA » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:51 am

patman66 wrote:
SNPA wrote:

If you think he has mental issues then it is. If you think your getting the plyer from last years playoffs, it is not, but is that worth 35mill a year? Harris is not worth 35 a year, period.

The worst contract doesn’t return good player(s) and if Morey just wanted good players he’d have plenty of options to pick from.

I think the Kings agree to the OP.
AaronB
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#10 » by AaronB » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:14 am

SNPA wrote:
patman66 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Simmons is a lot of things, worst contract in the league isn’t one.

The worst contract doesn’t return good player(s) and if Morey just wanted good players he’d have plenty of options to pick from.

I think the Kings agree to the OP.

There is always a possibility of a desperate GM. No rational, sane GM would give value for a max contract in which the player associated with that contract has no ETA for playing again.

If the alternative is that Simmons is lying about the mental health issues, then IMO he is worth less than if he actually has mental health issues. Either way, unless he starts playing again I don't see any value.

I also think that 99% of these rumored returns for Simmons are pure fiction. For sure there are low ball offers. Anything more is highly doubtful.
Assistant Coach
And1: 356

Post#11 » by 8305 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:35 am

Getting Simmons while giving up Turner makes no sense. Turner is exactly the type of player you want to pair with Simmons.
A Sabonis / Simmons pairing has largely the same issues causing the problem in Philly.
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#12 » by Lovetron Joe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:52 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:Sixers out: Simmons, Harris, Milton

Role players and picks are what the Sixers have to end up taking for Simmons but also getting rid of Tobi makes it well worth it. The Sixers are better in the short term, but are also set up nicely to make a much bigger move in the off season.

Pacers out: Turner, Lamb, Holiday, ‘22 1st top 12 protected (top 10 ‘23, top 3 ‘24)

Turner and a 1st that likely isn’t going to convey this year for Simmons is a pretty great way for the Pacers to shake up their roster

Kings out: Hield, Bagley, Thompson, D. Mitchell, ‘22 1st top 8 protected, ‘22 2nd, ‘23 2nd

Mitchell and 2 2nd’s is a pretty good cash in on Grant for the pistons. Also clears $20M for them

Truly weak trade for the Sixers. The picks would be the major asset and the trade would devalue them both. A dramatic upgrade of the Kings roster would weaken the top 8 protected pick. The Pacers top 12 protected pick does not move the needle. As the OP indicated, it probably would not convey. Simmons will eventually play and he is a far better player than Grant. Buddy does not even start for the Kings. Morey will wait as long as necessary for a better deal.
Kalamazoo317
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#13 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:17 pm

Not my favorite deal I've seen for Grant, but I'd lean towards doing it as a Pistons fan if we didn't get a better offer.
patman66
Analyst
And1: 875

Post#14 » by patman66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:28 pm

Lovetron Joe wrote:

Truly weak trade for the Sixers. The picks would be the major asset and the trade would devalue them both. A dramatic upgrade of the Kings roster would weaken the top 8 protected pick. The Pacers top 12 protected pick does not move the needle. As the OP indicated, it probably would not convey. Simmons will eventually play and he is a far better player than Grant. Buddy does not even start for the Kings. Morey will wait as long as necessary for a better deal.

Are you assuming Simmons plays this year and he is lying about his emotional state?
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#15 » by Lovetron Joe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 pm

patman66 wrote:
Lovetron Joe wrote:

Are you assuming Simmons plays this year and he is lying about his emotional state?

Well there is this...

[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The message has been sent that Ben Simmons would be ready to play after a few weeks of intensified conditioning and court action, <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@sam_amick</a> writes.<br><br>But plenty of questions remain about who he will be as a player in the future.<br><br>The latest on Simmons: <a href="https://t.co/32xY7TiHD0">https://t.co/32xY7TiHD0</a> <a href="https://t.co/tHjFdoQ9n2">pic.twitter.com/tHjFdoQ9n2</a></p>&mdash; The Athletic (@TheAthletic) <a href="
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 12, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[/tweet]
PhillyFan11
Senior
And1: 213

Post#16 » by PhillyFan11 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:37 am

Lovetron Joe wrote:

Harris has negative value…a good bit of it. Simmons + Harris on max contracts with Embiid is purgatory of never winning a championship. This trade wouldn’t be about winning a championship now, it’s about opening up roster flexibility for Morey to maneuver. He has a hell of a lot better chance of acquiring a star with $30 mil in expirings and a bunch of FRP’s than he does trading Simmons for 1. The Sixers don’t have a championship roster and have close to 0 roster flexibility with the current contracts. A major shakeup is needed.
If the net value after the off season ends up being Ben, Tobi, and 2 Sixers FRP’s for Jerami Grant and Bradley Beal (hypothetical off season trade) I would consider that a job well done by Morey.
Slacktard
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,290

Post#17 » by Slacktard » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:42 am

This type of return to the lineup for Philly would probably see me expecting Joel Embiid to ask for a trade out of town in the very near future unless Morey pulled off some kind of miraculous star acquisition in the summer.

Return to Trades and Transactions