LAL-OKC-DET

Moderators: Trader_Joe, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, loserX, MoneyTalks41890, Texas Chuck, pacers33granger, BullyKing, HartfordWhalers

Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 37,899
And1: 11,669
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#21 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 pm

Yes from the lakers i think its hard sell for DET and OKC but at least OKC can bring their former star :D
chrbal
RealGM
Posts: 19,534
And1: 1,002
Joined: Mar 02, 2001
Contact:

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#22 » by chrbal » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:32 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
chrbal wrote:Just not even close. Lakers get way too much, don’t see why either of the other teams would even consider this.


- Detroit save 20m
- They get Grant to a place he wants to go
- They get a young prospect
- They get an FRP

- OKC is the main question and it depends if Presti believes he can get an FRP from a revived Westbrook


Ok maybe it’s not inconceivable for Detroit. I just think Detroit would be better off passing on this.
User avatar
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 1,015
And1: 601
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#23 » by retrobro90 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:12 am

This is just way way off for OKC. Ownership is gonna take on close to 100 million in salary so they can steal touches from the franchise's two young PG's? And they have to trade Kenrich? For 3 2nds? Hell they could buy 3 2nds for basically 1/20th of the cost.
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 23,918
And1: 23,725
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#24 » by zimpy27 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 am

retrobro90 wrote:This is just way way off for OKC. Ownership is gonna take on close to 100 million in salary so they can steal touches from the franchise's two young PG's? And they have to trade Kenrich? For 3 2nds? Hell they could buy 3 2nds for basically 1/20th of the cost.


Westbrooks deal ends in 2023 not 2024. It's under $70m owed to Westbrook I believe.

Westbrook could limit touches to Giddey for sure
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Lakers24gm
Junior
Posts: 337
And1: 94
Joined: Jun 15, 2015
     

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#25 » by Lakers24gm » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:48 am

I would do this instantly if im the Lakers. But id do any trade that got Westbrook out of LA. Not sure OKC does it. But it does help them tank.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,790
And1: 892
Joined: Jan 11, 2005

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#26 » by sfballa13 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:28 am

THT to the Pistons for Grant by itself is a horrendous deal for the Pistons

Westbrook to the Thunder when they already have SGA/Giddey makes it beyond terrible
hoosierdaddy34
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,761
And1: 3,239
Joined: Dec 05, 2016
 

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#27 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:52 am

I think OKC would take back Westbrook and his contract (and buy him out and claim they are taking care of their legend etc etc) but Presti is going to want to be compensated a lot more than this.
R-DAWG
RealGM
Posts: 16,272
And1: 4,023
Joined: Nov 07, 2003

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#28 » by R-DAWG » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:47 pm

Devilanche wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
Devilanche wrote:If you add Westbrook to OKC the team will have to be build around him. Shots etc . That will seriously impact the development of the current team .

Will adding Westbrook bring us to the playoff ? Probably not.
Will adding Westbrook impact our draft pick ? We will probably draft lower than whatever we currently might end up with.

Why would we do that ? What assets would Lakers send OKC way to eat that much salary , impact our player development and impact our draft pick , considering that OKC probably doesn’t consider Muscala nor Kenrich as neutral salary fillers.


It's a salary dump.


Doesn’t appear that way at OP’s current value.
2 seconds to go from favors to Westbrook salary.
1 second for Kenrich.


It's a salary dump. If the value is worth it is a different conversation.
Crymson
Pro Prospect
Posts: 851
And1: 340
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#29 » by Crymson » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:25 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I believe Pistons would only trade Grant to where he wanted to go considering the manner on which he came to them.


Probably. And I think that plenty of teams could qualify. Included among those are teams with compelling assets to offer. The Lakers are not one of those teams. The Lakers have severely depleted the coffers in the course of assembling the current team. The fact that every Grant trade proposal involving the Lakers centers around THT, a distant first-round pick and salary filler is that the Lakers have nothing else of value to send. Their best is not enough.

Detroit would want value bit I think you will.be surprised by the low return Grant fetches if he is traded


Detroit would certainly want value, and quite a bit of it---else they will simply keep Grant, assuming they don't find a compelling opportunity to trade him in the offseason or during next season.

As for "low return," I'm curious what makes you say so. He's a valuable commodity in what he provides and also, by all accounts, on the trade market as a whole. If you're thinking that the scraps which the Lakers can offer will be enough, you're going to be disappointed.

zimpy27 wrote:- Detroit save 20m
- They get Grant to a place he wants to go
- They get a young prospect
- They get an FRP


The Pistons will be looking for value, not to dump cap---they aren't in compete mode; they can have a great deal of it next season if they so desire; and by all accounts, they're not going to spend heavy until 2023---THT by no means has high value as a role player who can't shoot, and that first-round pick lies in the distant future and is of unknown value.

No offense, but yours comes across as a sales pitch: you're clothing the Lakers' assets in all the right words, but the truth of the picture becomes clear when one looks at what they actually are.
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 23,918
And1: 23,725
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#30 » by zimpy27 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:47 pm

Crymson wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I believe Pistons would only trade Grant to where he wanted to go considering the manner on which he came to them.


Probably. And I think that plenty of teams could qualify. Included among those are teams with compelling assets to offer. The Lakers are not one of those teams. The Lakers have severely depleted the coffers in the course of assembling the current team. The fact that every Grant trade proposal involving the Lakers centers around THT, a distant first-round pick and salary filler is that the Lakers have nothing else of value to send. Their best is not enough.

Detroit would want value bit I think you will.be surprised by the low return Grant fetches if he is traded


Detroit would certainly want value, and quite a bit of it---else they will simply keep Grant, assuming they don't find a compelling opportunity to trade him in the offseason or during next season.

As for "low return," I'm curious what makes you say so. He's a valuable commodity in what he provides and also, by all accounts, on the trade market as a whole. If you're thinking that the scraps which the Lakers can offer will be enough, you're going to be disappointed.

zimpy27 wrote:- Detroit save 20m
- They get Grant to a place he wants to go
- They get a young prospect
- They get an FRP


The Pistons will be looking for value, not to dump cap---they aren't in compete mode; they can have a great deal of it next season if they so desire; and by all accounts, they're not going to spend heavy until 2023---THT by no means has high value as a role player who can't shoot, and that first-round pick lies in the distant future and is of unknown value.

No offense, but yours comes across as a sales pitch: you're clothing the Lakers' assets in all the right words, but the truth of the picture becomes clear when one looks at what they actually are.


He's a valuable commodity but if he does leave (which I doubt) then he won't get as much as people are expecting here. An FRP, some salary savings and a young player with potential is as good as they likely to get if Grant does want to move on.

The main asset is salary savings and the FRP. I haven't no sold that for more than it is and I clearly state that trade premise really rests on OKC and the value they see on taking Westbrook
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
BDM22
General Manager
Posts: 9,306
And1: 2,332
Joined: Feb 26, 2005

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#31 » by BDM22 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:09 am

zimpy27 wrote:
chrbal wrote:Just not even close. Lakers get way too much, don’t see why either of the other teams would even consider this.


- Detroit save 20m
- They get Grant to a place he wants to go
- They get a young prospect
- They get an FRP

- OKC is the main question and it depends if Presti believes he can get an FRP from a revived Westbrook


Grant wants to go to the Lakers? When did he say that?

THT is worth a 2nd rounder to kick the tires at best. A first in 2027 is a lot different than something coming in the next year or two.

Saving $20M is fine, but both guys they're trading are either on decent or good value contracts. There is no benefit in just dumping salary.

Can't see Weaver walking away from trading his 2 best vets with basically nothing to show for it for the next 5 years other than a shooting guard who can't shoot.
Crymson
Pro Prospect
Posts: 851
And1: 340
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#32 » by Crymson » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:17 am

zimpy27 wrote:He's a valuable commodity but if he does leave (which I doubt) then he won't get as much as people are expecting here. An FRP, some salary savings and a young player with potential is as good as they likely to get if Grant does want to move on.


He's a hot commodity on the trade market, a reasonable #3 option and strong defender for a contender and on a bargain contract for the next 1.5 seasons, yet you believe that he's not going to garner much on the trade market. I don't understand your logic.

If the Pistons get a good young player and a pick in the upcoming draft, that'll be a win. THT is not a good young player---he's currently a role player who can't shoot---and the Lakers' first-available first-round pick wouldn't arrive until six drafts from now. Pass.

The main asset is salary savings and the FRP.


Again, what makes you believe that salary savings are a value-laden factor for the Pistons? By no account are they looking to spend big money in the upcoming offseason---they still won't be fully bent on competing, and in any case the upcoming free-agent class is painfully weak outside of the unattainable few superstar-quality players. And the Pistons would not have paid Olynyk $13 million per season on a multi-year contract only to become desperate to dump him six months down the line for cap space.

The fact that they could then spend the cap space only on a comparable player is a moot point, but it underlines how little value the proposition could hold to the Pistons. So does the fact that the Pistons would be giving up Grant for the sake of spending in free agency on a player who'll presumably be less valuable than he is. What's the use in that?

I haven't no sold that for more than it is


Young prospect and first-round pick are the meat of what LA would give up. Except the prospect isn't good and the pick is far in the future.

I clearly state that trade premise really rests on OKC and the value they see on taking Westbrook


As if the Pistons would simply fall into line in the extraordinarily unlikely event that the Thunder would possibly want Westbrook, his on-court opportunity cost, and his massive 2022-2023 salary?
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 23,918
And1: 23,725
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#33 » by zimpy27 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:24 am

Crymson wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:He's a valuable commodity but if he does leave (which I doubt) then he won't get as much as people are expecting here. An FRP, some salary savings and a young player with potential is as good as they likely to get if Grant does want to move on.


He's a hot commodity on the trade market, a reasonable #3 option and strong defender for a contender and on a bargain contract for the next 1.5 seasons, yet you believe that he's not going to garner much on the trade market. I don't understand your logic.

If the Pistons get a good young player and a pick in the upcoming draft, that'll be a win. THT is not a good young player---he's currently a role player who can't shoot---and the Lakers' first-available first-round pick wouldn't arrive until six drafts from now. Pass.

The main asset is salary savings and the FRP.


Again, what makes you believe that salary savings are a value-laden factor for the Pistons? By no account are they looking to spend big money in the upcoming offseason---they still won't be fully bent on competing, and in any case the upcoming free-agent class is painfully weak outside of the unattainable few superstar-quality players. And the Pistons would not have paid Olynyk $13 million per season on a multi-year contract only to become desperate to dump him six months down the line for cap space.

The fact that they could then spend the cap space only on a comparable player is a moot point, but it underlines how little value the proposition could hold to the Pistons. So does the fact that the Pistons would be giving up Grant for the sake of spending in free agency on a player who'll presumably be less valuable than he is. What's the use in that?

I haven't no sold that for more than it is


Young prospect and first-round pick are the meat of what LA would give up. Except the prospect isn't good and the pick is far in the future.

I clearly state that trade premise really rests on OKC and the value they see on taking Westbrook


As if the Pistons would simply fall into line in the extraordinarily unlikely event that the Thunder would possibly want Westbrook, his on-court opportunity cost, and his massive 2022-2023 salary?


I guess if he's traded then we can see who was right on this. I'm not saying in an open market he wouldn't be more valuable, I think in a closed market where Detroit do Grant a solid, the compensation will be lighter than you think.

Pistons don't have to fall in line but their part of the deal is far more likely than the Westbrook aspect.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Crymson
Pro Prospect
Posts: 851
And1: 340
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#34 » by Crymson » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:49 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I guess if he's traded then we can see who was right on this. I'm not saying in an open market he wouldn't be more valuable, I think in a closed market where Detroit do Grant a solid, the compensation will be lighter than you think.


I don't understand your logic. You're suggesting that Grant will only want to go to a good team which has a good future, and that the Pistons will likely indulge him in this---that's fair---but then you're not only declaring that to be a very small number of teams (which has no such fair basis), you're also lumping the absolute mess that is the current Lakers into that number?

Pistons don't have to fall in line but their part of the deal is far more likely than the Westbrook aspect.


If it's likelier than the Westbrook component, that's not because it's likely at all but rather because it's simply less tremendously unlikely than the spectacularly far-fetched possibility of the Thunder playing ball.

Your trade has the Lakers making out like absolute bandits, dumping Westbrook and taking on a valuable player in Grant and a useful role player in Olynyk for the cost of nothing more than a role player who can't shoot, a distant first-round pick, and some disposable seconds. The Pistons get the first two of those, and the Thunder get a paltry three second-round picks for the privilege of taking on the terrible contract of a player whose on-court presence would cause them nothing but problems.

My tip for you for any future trade ideas is that if a trade is an absolute and utter slam-dunk for your team, it's almost certainly a bad value for other party or parties involved; and if the benefit to those teams isn't immediately obvious and must be rationalized, that benefit almost certainly isn't enough.
dodongo
Senior
Posts: 506
And1: 384
Joined: Sep 01, 2006
Location: Manila, Philippines
   

Re: LAL-OKC-DET 

Post#35 » by dodongo » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:29 pm

Yes for LAL

DET and OKC need a bit more IMO.

If Westbrook is bought out, which contender would sign him?

Return to Trades and Transactions