IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto

Moderators: Trader_Joe, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, loserX, MoneyTalks41890, Texas Chuck, pacers33granger, BullyKing, HartfordWhalers

User avatar
Troubadour
RealGM
Posts: 13,339
And1: 7,864
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: Toronto
 

IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#1 » by Troubadour » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:19 pm

Indiana needs a PG considering Keifer Sykes is their current back-up.
San Antonio has a lot of guards and may want to accelerate their rebuild.
Raptors need a big and a bench.

Indiana Receives
Malachi Flynn

San Antonio Receives
Chris Boucher
Oshae Brissett
Goran Dragic
2022 1st Round Pick (TOR)
2023 2nd Round Pick (TOR)
2025 2nd Round Pick (TOR)

Toronto Receives
Jakob Poeltl
Thaddeus Young
Bryn Forbes

Why for Indiana?
Malachi Flynn addresses a positional need and adds a young player at that positional need for the Pacers to develop.

Why for San Antonio?
Brisset and Boucher address positional needs for the Spurs while breaking up the logjam of guards. The 1st and two 2nds would add to the draft assets going forward for the Spurs.

Why for Toronto?
Poeltl becomes the defacto centre in Toronto who can protect the rim and rebound the ball. Thaddeus Young and Bryn Forbes are two bench players who can add a veteran presence to an underperforming bench.
Chinook
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,101
And1: 2,759
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
       

Re: IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#2 » by Chinook » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:23 pm

Obviously, if that's a real first and not one that will very likely expire, then I'm okay with trading relative flotsam and Jakob for multiple picks. I think you'd get some real push-back from other Raptors for this. Are they in position to even want Young and Forbes? I assumed in the very least Toronto would have younger options they'd prefer. But if those guys are adding value, this deal makes sense.
User avatar
Troubadour
RealGM
Posts: 13,339
And1: 7,864
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: Toronto
 

Re: IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#3 » by Troubadour » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:26 pm

Chinook wrote:Obviously, if that's a real first and not one that will very likely expire, then I'm okay with trading relative flotsam and Jakob for multiple picks. I think you'd get some real push-back from other Raptors for this. Are they in position to even want Young and Forbes? I assumed in the very least Toronto would have younger options they'd prefer. But if those guys are adding value, this deal makes sense.


Unprotected this season. It's more about Poeltl than anything else. At 26 and on that deal, he checks a lot of boxes.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 35,154
And1: 7,206
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 pm

Troubadour wrote:Indiana needs a PG considering Keifer Sykes is their current back-up.
San Antonio has a lot of guards and may want to accelerate their rebuild.
Raptors need a big and a bench.

Indiana Receives
Malachi Flynn

San Antonio Receives
Chris Boucher
Oshae Brissett
Goran Dragic
2022 1st Round Pick (TOR)
2023 2nd Round Pick (TOR)
2025 2nd Round Pick (TOR)

Toronto Receives
Jakob Poeltl
Thaddeus Young
Bryn Forbes

Why for Indiana?
Malachi Flynn addresses a positional need and adds a young player at that positional need for the Pacers to develop.

Why for San Antonio?
Brisset and Boucher address positional needs for the Spurs while breaking up the logjam of guards. The 1st and two 2nds would add to the draft assets going forward for the Spurs.

Why for Toronto?
Poeltl becomes the defacto centre in Toronto who can protect the rim and rebound the ball. Thaddeus Young and Bryn Forbes are two bench players who can add a veteran presence to an underperforming bench.


Nah. We're good with Sykes. Are we terribly sure that Flynn will be as impactful this year? Really don't want to give up Oshae on his contract for a one year fill in.

Plus, right now, Levert and Lance are playing PG. Sykes is our 3rd PG, with everyone else injured. When Brogdon and McConnell eventually return, Flynn is infinitely less needed than Oshae.
Adrian Street
Junior
Posts: 364
And1: 82
Joined: Dec 21, 2021
         

Re: IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#5 » by Adrian Street » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 pm

Troubadour wrote:Indiana needs a PG considering Keifer Sykes is their current back-up.
San Antonio has a lot of guards and may want to accelerate their rebuild.
Raptors need a big and a bench.

Indiana Receives
Malachi Flynn

San Antonio Receives
Chris Boucher
Oshae Brissett
Goran Dragic
2022 1st Round Pick (TOR)
2023 2nd Round Pick (TOR)
2025 2nd Round Pick (TOR)

Toronto Receives
Jakob Poeltl
Thaddeus Young
Bryn Forbes

Why for Indiana?
Malachi Flynn addresses a positional need and adds a young player at that positional need for the Pacers to develop

Why for San Antonio?
Brisset and Boucher address positional needs for the Spurs while breaking up the logjam of guards. The 1st and two 2nds would add to the draft assets going forward for the Spurs.

Why for Toronto?
Poeltl becomes the defacto centre in Toronto who can protect the rim and rebound the ball. Thaddeus Young and Bryn Forbes are two bench players who can add a veteran presence to an underperforming bench.



Unless SAS is looking to tank I can't see them doing this trade. Poeltl is too important to them to give him up, along with Young and Forbes, for a mid FRP a couple SRP's and scraps.
KhalilS
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,784
And1: 2,261
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#6 » by KhalilS » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:42 pm

Good deal, Indy isn't necessary here, but it's a good direction for TOR, useful expiring and 2 rotation players in positions of need.
Chinook
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,101
And1: 2,759
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
       

Re: IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#7 » by Chinook » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:45 pm

Troubadour wrote:
Chinook wrote:Obviously, if that's a real first and not one that will very likely expire, then I'm okay with trading relative flotsam and Jakob for multiple picks. I think you'd get some real push-back from other Raptors for this. Are they in position to even want Young and Forbes? I assumed in the very least Toronto would have younger options they'd prefer. But if those guys are adding value, this deal makes sense.


Unprotected this season. It's more about Poeltl than anything else. At 26 and on that deal, he checks a lot of boxes.


You probably want to protect that pick at least like top-four if not top-10. I think the Spurs should get a first for Poeltl. I don't think they should potentially get a high-lotto pick for him.
User avatar
Troubadour
RealGM
Posts: 13,339
And1: 7,864
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: Toronto
 

Re: IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#8 » by Troubadour » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:56 pm

Chinook wrote:
Troubadour wrote:
Chinook wrote:Obviously, if that's a real first and not one that will very likely expire, then I'm okay with trading relative flotsam and Jakob for multiple picks. I think you'd get some real push-back from other Raptors for this. Are they in position to even want Young and Forbes? I assumed in the very least Toronto would have younger options they'd prefer. But if those guys are adding value, this deal makes sense.


Unprotected this season. It's more about Poeltl than anything else. At 26 and on that deal, he checks a lot of boxes.


You probably want to protect that pick at least like top-four if not top-10. I think the Spurs should get a first for Poeltl. I don't think they should potentially get a high-lotto pick for him.


Fair. What do you think of the value if Indiana is cut out? So Malachi Flynn instead of Oshae Brissett.
Godaddycurse
Head Coach
Posts: 7,429
And1: 4,035
Joined: Nov 13, 2019
 

Re: IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#9 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:58 pm

I dont think Jakob is worth a mid 1st, let alone adding flynn and 2nds as well. The other fillers doesn't interest me either
Ell Curry
Analyst
Posts: 3,537
And1: 793
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
Location: Newfoundland

Re: IND x SAS x TOR: Jakob back to Toronto 

Post#10 » by Ell Curry » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:15 am

Godaddycurse wrote:I dont think Jakob is worth a mid 1st, let alone adding flynn and 2nds as well. The other fillers doesn't interest me either


Yeah, I think like JV moving up the Grizz from 17 to 10 in the draft, Poeltl's value would move up San Antonio's best 2nd (#32) to the Raptors 1st (could really be anywhere from #10-#23).

Maybe it's a little higher because Poeltl is younger and has one cheaper year left, so we have to move Boucher to San Antonio or a 3rd team, or we move Dragic and take on **** money next year (Bledsoe can be cut for 4M for example, or Terrence Ross or Kemba and Noel from the Knicks to get another small asset to send to San Antonio).
Where's the D?

Return to Trades and Transactions