What is Brunson deal with the Knicks..?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

What is Brunson deal with the Knicks..? 

Post#1 » by Mike lorenzo » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:21 pm

As a Mavs fan, we have been listening to the music of Jalen to the Knicks for a long time...it seems that they have strong ties and more importantly Brunson has taken another step this season, with Luka gone he has proven to be really good...he is young and seems to fit perfectly in the young nucleus that they are creating with Barrett/Reddish/Robinson...etc... would it

be now or out of season in an ST?

-Brunson/Bullock/Maxi/Dallas22 for Randle/Kemba/Dallas23..??

-Robinson/Kemba or Burks/Dallas 23 for Brunson/Bullock

-Brunson for Dallas 23+2 Round..??

Do you think that would happen?

What deal would it be?

Do the Mavs cling to Jalen?
1+1=11
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,399

Re: What is Brunson deal with the Knicks..? 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:52 pm

None of these deals interest me TBH, only deal possible is unlocking the 23 pick + assets (JB is worth more than the 23 pick), to bring an all star to DAL or other young talent to DAL (Sexton or in a much larger deal for Simmons).
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,807

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:56 pm

I'm curious still how true this is. I know a New York guy recently wrote about this again. And I know lots of Dallas guys then picked up the story and run with it.

But the Knicks can't sign him in free agency without Dallas help and they just used a first on Reddish. Are they really going to turn around and meet Dallas' asking price for Brunson now? Because sorry but just getting their own first back isn't going to be enough.

And on this board anyway Knicks fans think they have Dallas over a barrel by owning that pick(they don't) and think its a Brooklyn pick 2.0. So there is no discussion to be had. The Knicks fans here aren't going to give up anything good. And the Mavs IRL aren't interested in trading a guy having an incredible year who has fit beautifully next to Luka in the starting lineup. The price would be higher than New York or any team would realistically want to pay.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,482

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:57 pm

If (Maxi, THJ, and) 2022, 2024, and 2026 picks got
Simmons to Dallas, I’d do Alec with the 2023 first for Brunson. KP/Ben/DFS/Alec/Luka and hope we do better with the MLE next offseason..

Outside of that, there’s no reason to lose Brunson and we just hope he gives us a chance to be the team to overpay him this offseason.

No reason to downgrade talent in the Hope of a future trade IMO. Our team, Luka.., is too good when healthy to take steps back.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#5 » by Rockazoids » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:18 pm

The thing you should do is look and see how many Knicks Fans are posting trades for Brunson on this board.
Then look how many Mavs or other teams fans are posting Brunson to the Knicks. DAL can keep Brunson, have fun paying
him & DFS without going into cap hell. It's always the same, NYK give up a lot of assets, get Bullock dumped on them for a UFA.
If NYK don't have the cap to sign Brunson, than he asking for to much from them.

He's a good player but not worth the asking price.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#6 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:43 pm

Rockazoids wrote:The thing you should do is look and see how many Knicks Fans are posting trades for Brunson on this board.

How many Knicks fans post any trades on this board? I've been here for a year and they really aren't active in posting trades, some of them are very active in shooting down every trade :)
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#7 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:44 pm

I personally would not be willing to give up a first round pick for Brunson. He is going to be looking to get paid in the same range as Fred Van Vleet and Lonzo Ball - 4 years between $80-85MM. Both Lonzo and Van Vleet were coming off years where they shot around 38% from 3 on 7 attempts per game. By comparison, Brunson shoots 34% from 3 on 3 attempts per game. Very nice player who has shown he is a starter in the NBA, but IMO not the guy you give up assets for the right to overpay him.

If Brunson was locked into a long term deal in the low teens per year, different story. Also remember, the Knicks are going to have to pay or make a decision on Mitchell Robinson this summer, RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish the following summer. The roster is going to get expensive soon. I know the money does not matter with Dolan, but the lack of flexibility is meaningful.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#8 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:44 pm

KhalilS wrote:
Rockazoids wrote:The thing you should do is look and see how many Knicks Fans are posting trades for Brunson on this board.

How many Knicks fans post any trades on this board? I've been here for a year and they really aren't active in posting trades, some of them are very active in shooting down every trade :)

I agree there are more proposals from Dallas side based on Brunson and the 2023 pick.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#9 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:47 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
I agree there are more proposals from Dallas side based on Brunson and the 2023 pick.

That's true, but that's not what I said, I said there isn't a lot of Knicks fans proposing trades here in general, while there a lot of trades from other teams fans, DAL is among them.
Rockazoids
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Rockazoids » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:48 pm

KhalilS wrote:

Well I have been here a lot longer and it's always the same. Their players are not valued as much no matter who they are.

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#11 » by Pinkyring » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:56 pm

Rose return of mavs first for Brunson and powell would get it done for me, mavs get a replacement and their pick, Knicks get their pg
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,807

Post#12 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:57 pm

Rockazoids wrote:
KhalilS wrote:

Well I have been here a lot longer and it's always the same. Their players are not valued as much no matter who they are.

Oh please let's not do this. Victim complexes never help anything. I can assure you this board is not out here devaluing Knicks assets because they are Knicks assets. Occam's Razor tells us you feel this way because like almost all of us, we overvalue our own players rather than everyone else devaluing them.

There are exceptions of course, but rarely. Non-fans are as a rule going to be more objective than fans. For this thread us Mavs fans are going to overvalue Brunson. Goes without saying. But we aren't undervaluing Knicks stuff because its Knicks stuff. We don't care about the Knicks one way or the other really. You might get a Mavs fan to devalue the Heat or Spurs players out of pettiness, but hopefully not on this board. Goes against the very idea.

But like I tell every poster who feels their players aren't loved enough--there are boards on the internet for sure that will have a high valuation of all things your team. You can find a safe space. This board is never going to be that because what would be the point?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Rockazoids
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Rockazoids » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:06 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Rockazoids wrote:
KhalilS wrote:How many Knicks fans post any trades on this board? I've been here for a year and they really aren't active in posting trades, some of them are very active in shooting down every trade :)

Oh please let's not do this. Victim complexes never help anything. I can assure you this board is not out here devaluing Knicks assets because they are Knicks assets. Occam's Razor tells us you feel this way because like almost all of us, we overvalue our own players rather than everyone else devaluing them.

There are exceptions of course, but rarely. Non-fans are as a rule going to be more objective than fans. For this thread us Mavs fans are going to overvalue Brunson. Goes without saying. But we aren't undervaluing Knicks stuff because its Knicks stuff. We don't care about the Knicks one way or the other really. You might get a Mavs fan to devalue the Heat or Spurs players out of pettiness, but hopefully not on this board. Goes against the very idea.

But like I tell every poster who feels their players aren't loved enough--there are boards on the internet for sure that will have a high valuation of all things your team. You can find a safe space. This board is never going to be that because what would be the point?

No one having Victim complexes, He wondering why Knicks fan don't post a lot of trade and I gave him my opinion.
I didn't say fact or I had real knowledge or statistics so I gave my opinion just like you did.

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#14 » by pacers33granger » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:11 pm

A late first is fair value but what's the incentive for Dallas then? They're trying to win and Brunson is a big part of that.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#15 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:15 pm

Brunson is playing really well. Dallas should keep him. I tend to think his lack of being a big 3PT threat will keep his asking price reasonable this summer (That and only SAS, DET, ORL having cap space, albeit other teams could make room).

Non superstar PGs and Cs are in surplus right now, I think DAL should be optimistic on getting a reasonable deal done. DFS is who I would worry about getting overpaid IMO.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#16 » by NYG » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:20 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'm curious still how true this is. I know a New York guy recently wrote about this again. And I know lots of Dallas guys then picked up the story and run with it.

But the Knicks can't sign him in free agency without Dallas help and they just used a first on Reddish. Are they really going to turn around and meet Dallas' asking price for Brunson now? Because sorry but just getting their own first back isn't going to be enough.

And on this board anyway Knicks fans think they have Dallas over a barrel by owning that pick(they don't) and think its a Brooklyn pick 2.0. So there is no discussion to be had. The Knicks fans here aren't going to give up anything good. And the Mavs IRL aren't interested in trading a guy having an incredible year who has fit beautifully next to Luka in the starting lineup. The price would be higher than New York or any team would realistically want to pay.

Yeah, I have this as Dallas only selling very high and the Knicks buying low leading to no deal here.

However, is there any good fitting rookie contract point guards for the Knicks that have some defensive ability and could be had for less than Brunson?
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#17 » by aguiar95 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:24 pm

There is no deal here. No disrespect to the NY roster, but there isn't a guy there that would make sense for the Mavs (NY does not have good offensive players, which DAL also lacks). The only way this is news is because of NY writers trying to speak it into existance with the Rick Brunson/Leon Rose conections. DAL will not trade him as he's an integral part of what we're doing. Getting the '23 pick back is not enough incentive for getting worse on court. If JB lets us know he's not re-signing here (kinda what Reddish did), then we start pondering the deals.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#18 » by loserX » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:42 pm

Yeah the deal is if Dallas wants to acquire Player X from a 3rd team and need to give up Brunson as part of the value, and the third team says "we'd rather have keeper assets than an impending FA", and then the Knicks swoop in.

As a two-team deal it's hard to make work.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#19 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:25 pm

Some more context here from today’s NY Post. Jalen father, Rick Brunson (3rd string point guard on the 1999 Eastern Conference Champion Knicks) was Leon Rose (president of Knicks and former CAA agent) first NBA client. Additionally, Rick Brunson was an assistant coach under Tom Thibodeau for years. Taking it full circle Thibs was an assistant under Jeff Van Gundy on the 1999 Knicks.

So this is why there is a ton of interest on the Knicks regarding Brunson. Does not mean they will overpay.

The one trade idea that could make some sense is Duce McBride for Brunson. Dallas resets the rookie clock with McBride while the Knicks get a more established player, albeit one they have to pay, in Brunson.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,620

Post#20 » by Swish1906 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:52 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:As a Mavs fan, we have been listening to the music of Jalen to the Knicks for a long time...it seems that they have strong ties

No, you listened to know nothing Marc Berman who pulled something out of his ass and that was some ties between Brunsons father and Rose and how it would affect Brunsons FA decision :lol:

Brunson is a die hard Nova and Eagles fans, i would be more worried about Philly than this wannabe ties with Daddy and Rose

Return to Trades and Transactions