Best player that can be had for Fox +? (Simmons 3 team)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Best player that can be had for Fox +? (Simmons 3 team) 

Post#41 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:58 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:How is New Orleans going to "help them off load" Harris?

It was reported Kings are willing to take on Harris's contract for compensation be it Simmons or pick capital.

Kings trade - (Barnes 2yrs/20m, Bagleys 11m exp, Thompson 9m exp) for (Harris, Jaxson Hayes, NO's pick/s)

Philly trade - (Simmons, Harris) for (Barnes, Graham, Bagley;s 11m exp, Sato;s 10m exp, Thompson 9m exp NO's pick/s)

NO's trade - (Graham or Hart, Jaxson Hayes, Sato's 10m exp, pick/s) for (Simmons)

Kings swap Barnes more affordable 20m 2yrs for Harris' 30m in order to net NO's pick capital. Bagley is about to expire with a need to extend, where that diffence in salary/savings would end up being spent in Bagleys extension, where he's replaced with the rookie control & upside of Hayes.

Philly dump Harris for 30m in expiring contracts, save roughly 130m in totatl salary, get a cheaper option to Harris in Barnes 20m, a clutch shooter in Graham, a solid PF in Bagley & potentially some pick consolation as well, if value is needed..

NO's give up more picks to retain both Zion & Ingram with Simmons.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#42 » by marcush » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:01 am

Sactowndog wrote:I think the issue you see in Simmons and Embid gets transferred into the trade discussions. Both Embid and Simmons are best with surrounded by good shooters. The Kings have only 3 good shooters in Hali, Barnes and Buddy. So naturally every proposed trade includes 2 or 3 of them. I don’t blame the Philly fans but it leaves the Kings with a terrible fitting team. I really think the Kings should offer Simmons for Fox if you want to dump Simmons and Harris we will send you Fox, Thompson and Hield. If neither of those work for you then I would say feel free to get a better offer.

I would take that Simmons, Harris for Fox, Thompson, Heild deal any day of the week.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,594

Post#43 » by NYG » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:05 am

Could Embiid/Turner work?

Tobias Harris, Ben Simmons, Furkan Korkmaz and Isaiah Joe for Jeremy Lamb, Myles Turner, Buddy Hield and Harrison Barnes
De'Aaron Fox to Indiana

If not, where could Philly re-route Turner for a better return?
Adrian Street
Rookie
And1: 319

Post#44 » by Adrian Street » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:57 am

NYG wrote:Could Embiid/Turner work?

Tobias Harris, Ben Simmons, Furkan Korkmaz and Isaiah Joe for Jeremy Lamb, Myles Turner, Buddy Hield and Harrison Barnes
De'Aaron Fox to Indiana

If not, where could Philly re-route Turner for a better return?

I would say no, at least not in a smooth fashion. Places to send him could include Portland, Torronto, Charlotte, New York, Memphis, Dallas. A lot of teams are interested in him depending on the price.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,672

Post#45 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:10 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I don't think it gets any of your names no. You have to find a team that specifically wants Fox rather than looking for a player you want and hoping they will take Fox plus minimal incentive.

Ingram could probably be had for a big overpay like fox and 3 picks and maybe another young player. I don’t think Boston would trade brown to Philly no matter what

Boston wouldn't trade Brown for a poor shooter no matter what.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#46 » by lordjeff05 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:23 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Zion averaged an efficient 28pts last yr with Adams in the paint. In this new positionless league you play the position you can defend & Simmons can defend 1-5 which gives NO's alot of flexibility in how they choose to use him. During the regular season, much like Bucks, NO's can use Jonas to take the physical brunt of a long year but when PO's hit & teams try to go small & run him off the court, NO's would have Simmons one of the best perimeter defenders in the league at the 5 playmaking ala Green.

Now Green was effective for GS because of Curry & Klays ability to space the court. I'm thinking BI/Graham while not on the level could be significant enough to allow for that defensive upgrade along with Herbs incredible progression in the area, currently shooting 40% after entering the draft a question mark in his game.

big lineup - Jonas/Zion/BI/Herb/Simmons
PO small lineip - Simmons/Zion/BI/Herb/Graham or 3 & D option to bolster Grahams lack of D
Bench - Jonas/Hayes/Hart/Naw/Graham if NO's get a 3 & D option for the above starting rotation

As you can see. Simmons addition does several things for NO. Increases the teams versatility & rotation options, betters the teams average D, adds playmaking where NO's can add a 3&D option over Graham because of Simmons size & ability to play in the post where his lack of range would be mitigated, like having Adams in the middle, except being a better playmaker, more mobile & transition game.

Keep in mind when making this argument, the reason NO's is targeting a primary ball handler is in part because ZIon is injured, if or when he returns that would put Fox into a lesser ball handling role, this is where having Simmons defense & versatility becomes a bigger boon over an average 3pt shooter, average at best defender who needs the ball to be effective when Zion & BI would be handling the ball more. So while it never hurts to have more ball handlers & playmakers, Simmons would be far more effective addition defensively in this lesser capacity than Fox being an average floor spacer in spot up scenarios.

See my post above where the ability to play Simmons at C opens the PG spot for a 3 & D option that would be far more effective in a spacing role considering all 3 of Simmons/Zion when back & Ingram could handle & create out the forward spots.

You don’t have to tell me that Zion next to Adams worked offensively. I was making that argument all of last year. Zion can play around non scorers. It’s not as easy as when the floor is spaced.

I don’t think I’m necessarily saying Fox is a better get than Simmons, but I think Fox for the assets he would take may be a better move.

I think my overall point is that the Pels should build around Ingram not Zion. Z is a good kid. I have full faith that he will figure it out and be a force in the league. But the idea that it’s gonna happen while he is unhappily recuperating for a team he doesn’t want to play for that he can hold hostage is unlikely.

I’d rather build around the guy who has shown up and bought in.

Now, the ceiling of a team with Zion as the guy will be higher than a ceiling with Ingram but the floor will be lower. The Pelicans need to build a consistent winner in New Orleans, and you do that by developers culture. I think Ingram and Fox can be the centerpiece of that. Especially with a coach like Willie Green.

So going back to the original point, I think if the idea is to build a consistent winner around your all star wing, then the ideal move is to get the scoring point guard who is also easier to build around.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#47 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:12 am

lordjeff05 wrote:You don’t have to tell me that Zion next to Adams worked offensively. I was making that argument all of last year. Zion can play around non scorers. It’s not as easy as when the floor is spaced. I don’t think I’m necessarily saying Fox is a better get than Simmons, but I think Fox for the assets he would take may be a better move.

I disagree with this logic. I am a firm believer in paying for what you want apposed to settling because of cost. Doing that usually leads to that short cut becoming far more expensive & costly over time. It's the philosophy I've posted on the Memphis board over the last 3yrs.. See overpayment to land their rookie target Zaire. Never settle, know exactly what you want & pay for it.

lordjeff05 wrote: I think my overall point is that the Pels should build around Ingram not Zion. Z is a good kid. I have full faith that he will figure it out and be a force in the league. But the idea that it’s gonna happen while he is unhappily recuperating for a team he doesn’t want to play for that he can hold hostage is unlikely.

Now, the ceiling of a team with Zion as the guy will be higher than a ceiling with Ingram but the floor will be lower. The Pelicans need to build a consistent winner in New Orleans, and you do that by developers culture. I think Ingram and Fox can be the centerpiece of that. Especially with a coach like Willie Green.

So going back to the original point, I think if the idea is to build a consistent winner around your all star wing, then the ideal move is to get the scoring point guard who is also easier to build around.

IMO when building a team from lottery, you don't try & fit pieces until the team has the necessary overall talent needed. That's why NO's are top heavy with little depth quality. Their issue is hey have too many weak links that drag down their top perfomers production. This offseason, Pels GM went & got a floor spacer at point to compliment a player that was expected to handle PG duties but has yet to play a game. Any guess why the team can't win & have a need for a pg/playmaker ?. They stopped short of compiling the necessary talent & quality depth before adjusting for chemistry & fit around an often injured player. How do you succeed, when the guy you built around has yet to play a game & hasn't proven he can stay healthy ? Next man up only work when you build a balanced team, not one that caters, especially to one that has played the equivalent to 1 season in 3 yrs.

I see your logic but I also see a red flag in it concerning Fox. Realize his current dip in play could be linked or attributed to the emergence of Haliburton's play... Reason, why so called good players on bad teams, that need to dominate the ball & have high usage, don't really elevate their team, only their individual stats. For example, Morant in 2yrs has lifted Memphis Grizz into PO contention from a 2yr rebuild but Fox can't though many have compared the 2 in terms of talent. What's the difference, if they were same level to be compared at any point ? Morant knows how & when not to be ball dominant, he lets others dominate the game & controls the pace etc.. He can & does play well off ball, lots of movement. The fact that another players emergence has possibly led to Fox's play slipping despite your reference to his spot up shooting... I don't know man.. that's a big contract.

Whereas, with Simmons & all his faults as a player, he had Philly a top seed last yr with his elite defense, versatility & pass first game.. he, elevated his teammates as seen by their dip with his absence. He's also a player in which Philly could not fully exploit because Embiid is a fixture at C. A position where I think Simmons has the most value to the team trading for him, see GS interest. Teams are going to play small to try & run Jonas off the court, so having Simmons versatile enough to play his game there forces a teams hand into how NO's will want to play. Unlike Philly with Embiid, NO's have Jonas signed to a value contract at 15m with him being a team first consumate professional that would accept being moved to the bench no questions asked. Sharing his minutes at C with Simmons has a 2 fold benefit from play style to bolstering the bench which has struggled for NO's this yr.

In short I see far more benefit in targeting SImmons than Fox as well as him having a higher floor in trade with his elite defense & versatility. Fit wise, Pelicans may not have the spacing GS have or had with Curry & Klay. However, I think after putting Simmons with BI, Herb & Zion, IMO all Pelicans would really need is a 3&D guard to replace Graham to round out that rotation with a good balance of versatility, defense, shooting & playmaking. 3 + defenders in Simmons, Herb, 3&D guard. 3 ball handlers, playmakers in Zion, BI, Simmons. The versatility to play Simmons 1-5 which opens several rotational options for Green from point G, point forward to point C. Herb also has the defensive versatility to play 1-4. Where those 2 combined make up 2 of the best defenders in the game, tons of defensive swithcability which gives NO's a defensive base/identity to build off of if nothing else..

Zion or no Zion.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#48 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:10 am

SNPA wrote:This idea that Fox’s deal could turn ugly is laughable.

Guy had a rough start. On RealGM that means he is instantly tanking his trade value. I’m willing to bet most GM’s take a longer view.

yep realgm told me he was a great player worth more than ben to a negative trade value in a month which is ludicrous.
player value doesnt fluctuate that hard and its not like fox is in his 30s washed up. but ben does seem to command slightly more value for not showing up. i would either take fox or trade fox and pick for j brown.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#49 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:20 pm

I think Fox and Ben are about even market value right now and trading them for each other makes a lot of sense for both teams.
PELICANSFAN
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#50 » by PELICANSFAN » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:09 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:You're arguing at length for a horribly designed team you could only create by making a ridiculously implausible trade.

How'd you get that GM job, Mr. Griffin? Do you regret trading Deandre Hunter for Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander Walker? Darius Garland was there at 4, too

Trading out of #4 was dumb then and looking even worse now. It is rare that a team does better moving out of the top 5 for multiple marginal players. Yet, Griffin screwed that up royally. Had we stayed at 4 and picked, we would have a team centered around Zion, Ingram and Garland.

As far as the team being over the cap, almost all the teams in the NBA (except maybe OKC) are over the cap.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#51 » by Sportfan73 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:47 pm

I think it still ends up being fox hield and Barnes for Simmons and Harris
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#52 » by lordjeff05 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:40 am

Whole Truth wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:You don’t have to tell me that Zion next to Adams worked offensively. I was making that argument all of last year. Zion can play around non scorers. It’s not as easy as when the floor is spaced. I don’t think I’m necessarily saying Fox is a better get than Simmons, but I think Fox for the assets he would take may be a better move.

I disagree with this logic. I am a firm believer in paying for what you want apposed to settling because of cost. Doing that usually leads to that short cut becoming far more expensive & costly over time. It's the philosophy I've posted on the Memphis board over the last 3yrs.. See overpayment to land their rookie target Zaire. Never settle, know exactly what you want & pay for it.

lordjeff05 wrote: I think my overall point is that the Pels should build around Ingram not Zion. Z is a good kid. I have full faith that he will figure it out and be a force in the league. But the idea that it’s gonna happen while he is unhappily recuperating for a team he doesn’t want to play for that he can hold hostage is unlikely.

IMO when building a team from lottery, you don't try & fit pieces until the team has the necessary overall talent needed. That's why NO's are top heavy with little depth quality. Their issue is hey have too many weak links that drag down their top perfomers production. This offseason, Pels GM went & got a floor spacer at point to compliment a player that was expected to handle PG duties but has yet to play a game. Any guess why the team can't win & have a need for a pg/playmaker ?. They stopped short of compiling the necessary talent & quality depth before adjusting for chemistry & fit around an often injured player. How do you succeed, when the guy you built around has yet to play a game & hasn't proven he can stay healthy ? Next man up only work when you build a balanced team, not one that caters, especially to one that has played the equivalent to 1 season in 3 yrs.

I see your logic but I also see a red flag in it concerning Fox. Realize his current dip in play could be linked or attributed to the emergence of Haliburton's play... Reason, why so called good players on bad teams, that need to dominate the ball & have high usage, don't really elevate their team, only their individual stats. For example, Morant in 2yrs has lifted Memphis Grizz into PO contention from a 2yr rebuild but Fox can't though many have compared the 2 in terms of talent. What's the difference, if they were same level to be compared at any point ? Morant knows how & when not to be ball dominant, he lets others dominate the game & controls the pace etc.. He can & does play well off ball, lots of movement. The fact that another players emergence has possibly led to Fox's play slipping despite your reference to his spot up shooting... I don't know man.. that's a big contract.

Whereas, with Simmons & all his faults as a player, he had Philly a top seed last yr with his elite defense, versatility & pass first game.. he, elevated his teammates as seen by their dip with his absence. He's also a player in which Philly could not fully exploit because Embiid is a fixture at C. A position where I think Simmons has the most value to the team trading for him, see GS interest. Teams are going to play small to try & run Jonas off the court, so having Simmons versatile enough to play his game there forces a teams hand into how NO's will want to play. Unlike Philly with Embiid, NO's have Jonas signed to a value contract at 15m with him being a team first consumate professional that would accept being moved to the bench no questions asked. Sharing his minutes at C with Simmons has a 2 fold benefit from play style to bolstering the bench which has struggled for NO's this yr.

In short I see far more benefit in targeting SImmons than Fox as well as him having a higher floor in trade with his elite defense & versatility. Fit wise, Pelicans may not have the spacing GS have or had with Curry & Klay. However, I think after putting Simmons with BI, Herb & Zion, IMO all Pelicans would really need is a 3&D guard to replace Graham to round out that rotation with a good balance of versatility, defense, shooting & playmaking. 3 + defenders in Simmons, Herb, 3&D guard. 3 ball handlers, playmakers in Zion, BI, Simmons. The versatility to play Simmons 1-5 which opens several rotational options for Green from point G, point forward to point C. Herb also has the defensive versatility to play 1-4. Where those 2 combined make up 2 of the best defenders in the game, tons of defensive swithcability which gives NO's a defensive base/identity to build off of if nothing else..

Zion or no Zion.

The problem with your logic here is that Graham was at best the 4th choice not the first. Griff got what he thought was the best player available once it was clear that other better players weren’t available. In general Griff has prioritized talent over fit. That’s what we’ve had big bruisers at the 5 rather than floor spacers. To the extent that the Pels are not a deep team, it has way more to do with pieces like NAW and Jax having super disappointing starts to the year rather than some overcommitment to fit. The issue has been more one of execution than philosophy

And when in comparison to Memphis, it’s easier to make the talent work around a point guard than it is to make the pieces work next to Zion. Talent vs fit is less relevant when your talent is easier to build around.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
The problem with your logic here is that Graham was at best the 4th choice not the first. Griff got what he thought was the best player available once it was clear that other better players weren’t available. In general Griff has prioritized talent over fit. That’s what we’ve had big bruisers at the 5 rather than floor spacers. To the extent that the Pels are not a deep team, it has way more to do with pieces like NAW and Jax having super disappointing starts to the year rather than some overcommitment to fit. The issue has been more one of execution than philosophy

And when in comparison to Memphis, it’s easier to make the talent work around a point guard than it is to make the pieces work next to Zion. Talent vs fit is less relevant when your talent is easier to build around.

There are teams that have some great PG play that their respective teams have not been able to build around. Chemiistry/fit is not something anyone can acurately predict, it's an educated guess, until it's not. Zion is a point forward & a more talented player than Morant though Morant is extremely talented, as not many his size & weight can do what he can physically, unfortunately both his blessings & curse as a player.

I'd argue it's easier to build around a player you have playing than one that isn't. Hard to know where this team would have been with a healthy Zion considering all the close losses & blown double digit leads. Having said that, it can't be overlooked that he was the person/PG play this NO's team was built around & he hasn't played a game. None can argue the result of building around him, without him.

I don't know if Griff knew or could predict Zion would have been out half the season. I personally would not build around any one player but a play style/defensive identity. Which is why I'm clamoring for Simmons elite defensive versatility transition game, to pair with Herb's impressive defense as a rookie. Most are looking to compliment Zion with spacing, I'm looking to compliment his offense with defense. You mention their spacing issues but earlier also acknowledged Zions ability to score with Adams in the paint, not so ?

Where in a PO/small ball setting, I have Simmons at the 4/5 with ZIon, pushing Jonas production to a struggling bench. In combination with Herb's offensive growth & trajectory where he's already exceeding expectations from range & looks good in doing so. Point C - SImmons/Zion/BI/Herb only really need IMO a 3&D option to have the adeguate spacing needed for Zion while sporting 2 of the best perimeter defenders in the league + the 3&D option at point over Graham who's a sub par defender aswell. If nothing else, this move improves the teams subpar defense, worse case.

Simmons versatily helps to push either or both Jonas & Graham to bolster the NO's struggling bench. It allows Green to have multiple rotations/player combinations that affect how teams are able to matchup. Simmons length at PG, watched him shut down Ja on multiple occassions against teams with strong PG play. Point forward for a more traditional lineup where he guards a teams best wing player allowing Green to put Herb on a secondary option where he's currently tasked with guarding teams best offesnive guards/wings. Point C, PO small ball rotation where his inability to shoot is somewhat mitigated where we've agreed Zion has shown he can score with Adams clogging the paint.

As mentioned Jonas would start most of the season to take the physical load. However Simmons would prevent teams from going small, especially in a PO setting, as he would/should be an effective perimeter defender/playmaker in that scenario with his combination of size, length & speed at the position. Allowing NO's to effectively switch 1-5 in that setting.

Point G/F/C SImmons / Zion / BI / Herb / 3&D option = positionless, though listed as such

Where NO's have been trying to compliment Zion offensively, I''ve now complimented him defensively also with 3 shooters in that rotation & the knowledge that Zion could score with Adams (also no range) in the post.. where Simmons lack of range is mitigated in GS' Green's role. All NO's has to do from that point is make sure the 3&D option is consistent from range. They may even have that option already with Murphy if he develops properly or is not included in trade.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#54 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:48 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:How is New Orleans going to "help them off load" Harris?

It was reported Kings are willing to take on Harris's contract for compensation be it Simmons or pick capital.

Kings trade - (Barnes 2yrs/20m, Bagleys 11m exp, Thompson 9m exp) for (Harris, Jaxson Hayes, NO's pick/s)

Philly trade - (Simmons, Harris) for (Barnes, Graham, Bagley;s 11m exp, Sato;s 10m exp, Thompson 9m exp NO's pick/s)

NO's trade - (Graham or Hart, Jaxson Hayes, Sato's 10m exp, pick/s) for (Simmons)

Kings swap Barnes more affordable 20m 2yrs for Harris' 30m in order to net NO's pick capital. Bagley is about to expire with a need to extend, where that diffence in salary/savings would end up being spent in Bagleys extension, where he's replaced with the rookie control & upside of Hayes.

Philly dump Harris for 30m in expiring contracts, save roughly 130m in totatl salary, get a cheaper option to Harris in Barnes 20m, a clutch shooter in Graham, a solid PF in Bagley & potentially some pick consolation as well, if value is needed..

NO's give up more picks to retain both Zion & Ingram with Simmons.

Kings also spend 60m to not make the play in. Without huge draft compensation or young player there’s 0% reason to bail out 76ers

Return to Trades and Transactions