What is Anfernee Simons's value?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

What is Anfernee Simons's value? 

Post#1 » by Malapropism » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:34 pm

14.9 PPG and 3.2 APG on 45/40/90 shooting splits. 15.6 PER and 58% TS% on the year on 23% usage rate. 21 years old. RFA at the end of the year.

Blazer fans don't want to move him given his recent play:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

But if the Blazers are not trading Dame, I don't see how going into another Dame/CJ situation could be tenable long term.

Think the consensus is before the season was the Blazers would be lucky to get some seconds. How high of a pick could he fetch now? Mid first? Late first? Would some team trade a good veteran in the Jerami Grant tier for him?
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,290

Re: What is Anfernee Simons's value? 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:42 pm

Blazers should trade CJ and keep Simons/Powell/Dame long term imo
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#3 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:44 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Blazers should trade CJ and keep Simons/Powell/Dame long term imo
Agree with this. Get a real SF for CJ and move Powell down.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
Malapropism
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Malapropism » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:50 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:Blazers should trade CJ and keep Simons/Powell/Dame long term imo

A LOT easier said than done. I think Simons has more value than CJ, specifically because his market is much bigger given his contract/age.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,406

Post#5 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:55 pm

Malapropism wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

A LOT easier said than done. I think Simons has more value than CJ, specifically because his market is much bigger given his contract/age.

agree and not sure an SF is needed as Nas Little keeps improving, with Roco'/Nurk expiring a PF/C may be a better target
Malapropism
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by Malapropism » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:00 pm

I don't actually want to move him. Obviously I'd move CJ and Norm before Simons, but I'm curious what Simons's value is because I'm fairly certain it will be easier to move Simons.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#7 » by Godaddycurse » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:00 pm

Malapropism wrote:I don't actually want to move him. Obviously I'd move CJ and Norm before Simons, but I'm curious what Simons's value is because I'm fairly certain it will be easier to move Simons.

if his play keeps up i'd expect him to fetch similar if not more than reddish
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#8 » by Resistance » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:05 pm

Is Simons a SG that can play some minutes at PG or can he successfully transition to being a starting PG?
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#9 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm

Resistance wrote:Is Simons a SG that can play some minutes at PG or can he successfully transition to being a starting PG?
In Jan so far he definitely looks to be successfully transitioning to PG - obviously time will tell but he's been really good of late, lets see if he can keep it up
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#10 » by Rockazoids » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:12 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Malapropism wrote:I don't actually want to move him. Obviously I'd move CJ and Norm before Simons, but I'm curious what Simons's value is because I'm fairly certain it will be easier to move Simons.

He is a RFA though, Reddish still had a year on his rook deal. At the rate he's going they better sit his but down
before the lose that pick to CHI.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#11 » by Godaddycurse » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:17 pm

Rockazoids wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

He is a RFA though, Reddish still had a year on his rook deal. At the rate he's going they better sit his but down

He's also vastly outplaying Reddish. I think that more than makes up for the cheap year.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#12 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:20 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Rockazoids wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

He's also vastly outplaying Reddish. I think that more than makes up for the cheap year.

if he has truly "blown up" as it appears he has and keeps this level up then yeah he blows by Redish easily - and again that's an "IF" but to me it does look he like he has "figured it out" and knows he belongs
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#13 » by aguiar95 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:27 pm

Don't think there's a lot of value here. He's about to get paid and is one of the worst defensive players in the league (does his offense even cover for that). I think folks are right comparing him to Reddish. A heavily protected 1st seems right.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:32 pm

Simons fits better with Dame. Dame is having surgery. They're committed to Dame for at least a half a season next year. Unless they trade Dame for Simmons, the Blazers should absolutely keep him and explore moving either Powell or CJ (with CJ being the strong preference although I agree it will be harder to move him). But letting Simons go and running it back with CJ and Dame shouldn't even be in the cards. Those two needed to be broken up years ago.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:33 pm

aguiar95 wrote:Don't think there's a lot of value here. He's about to get paid and is one of the worst defensive players in the league (does his offense even cover for that). I think folks are right comparing him to Reddish. A heavily protected 1st seems right.

I admittedly haven't checked his advanced numbers but the eye test suggests to me he's better than Dame or CJ on that end.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#16 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Simons fits better with Dame. Dame is having surgery. They're committed to Dame for at least a half a season next year. Unless they trade Dame for Simmons, the Blazers should absolutely keep him and explore moving either Powell or CJ (with CJ being the strong preference although I agree it will be harder to move him). But letting Simons go and running it back with CJ and Dame shouldn't even be in the cards. Those two needed to be broken up years ago.

agree, would prefer to keep Simons, and CJ for sure IMO needs to be moved. I like Powell but if necessary would move him for a PF or C assuming Nurk and Roco leave as they are expiring's. I am content to let Little keep showing us he is the Blazer SF of the future (developing nicely so far). Blazers have lots of decisions to make
Malapropism
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by Malapropism » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:46 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
aguiar95 wrote:Don't think there's a lot of value here. He's about to get paid and is one of the worst defensive players in the league (does his offense even cover for that). I think folks are right comparing him to Reddish. A heavily protected 1st seems right.

I admittedly haven't checked his advanced numbers but the eye test suggests to me he's better than Dame or CJ on that end.

I don't trust defensive metrics much but I can tell you from watching every game they're all about on par with each other, in that they're all terrible.

Simons has more room to improve on that end than both Dame and CJ though, I guess.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by Malapropism » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:47 pm

If a heavily protected first is all they can get I suppose they will just keep him. Not too many teams with capspace this off-season. But that probably means being forced to move CJ for a less than ideal package. Probably not a ton of value there.
Adrian Street
Rookie
And1: 319

Post#19 » by Adrian Street » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:55 pm

I would keep Simons and Little. Deal CJ, Powell, RoCo and Nurkic in some combination to get the best youngish PF and C you can and I think Portland can be rebuilt by next season.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#20 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 pm

How about something along the lines of:

Ant Simons

for

Herb Jones

Gets Pelicans PG of future and Blazers PF/SF combo to replace Roco and fit with Billups defense style

Return to Trades and Transactions